hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ryan Porteous

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar

Ryan Porteous

This is your opportunity now - every bit good enough to fill some very big shoes. Show the world what you can do big man!

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is your opportunity now - every bit good enough to fill some very big shoes. Show the world what you can do big man!
    Not for me. Porteous should be looked upon as Daz’ replacement. Efe’s replacement needs to be better than Porteous with the ball at their feet imo or else we’ll not be playing any form of attractive football.

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Not for me. Porteous should be looked upon as Daz’ replacement. Efe’s replacement needs to be better than Porteous with the ball at their feet imo or else we’ll not be playing any form of attractive football.
    Hanlon can do that - the point was more that a guaranteed starting place at CB is now up for grabs and Porto can make himself as big a legend as Efe if he wants it. Two different players but both talismanic.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    He's still young and will add that to his game, but for someone at his age it's defend first. Hanlon is a good ball player and will be able to fill in what Efe does to an extent but the mazy runs will be missed.

Hanlon can do that - the point was more that a guaranteed starting place at CB is now up for grabs and Porto can make himself as big a legend as Efe if he wants it. Two different players but both talismanic.
    Agreed. We haven't had many players like Efe in our defence, Bamba is the closest I can think of, they're a rare breed and we were lucky to have Efe whilst it lasted - but it isn't a necessity for a team to play good football.

We played some decent stuff before Efe joined and hopefully Hanlon, McGregor and Porteous can step up and be conjusive to a good brand of football once again.

Porteous needs to concentrate on getting fit, first and foremost.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    He's still young and will add that to his game, but for someone at his age it's defend first. Hanlon is a good ball player and will be able to fill in what Efe does to an extent but the mazy runs will be missed.
    It wasn’t a criticism of a Porteous, his body on the line style of defending has as much of a place as a footballing centre half. I suppose as was mentioned Hanlon can play a bit and seeing as Porteous and Efe has been our CB pairing then Hanlon can be Efes replacement to an extent.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Porteous and Hanlon will do just fine.

With Daz aging rapidly...I'd be tempted to go for Fontain if Gunnarson isn't available....

@hibs.net private member Johnny_Leith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Juniper Greens View Post
    With Daz aging rapidly...I'd be tempted to go for Fontain if Gunnarson isn't available....
    Think fonts is injured, season over for him.

First Team Breakthrough
    Fonts isn’t that much younger than Daz though, think there’s only a yesr and a half between them and Fonts is a lot slower from what I can remember. Halket at Livingston has been getting some rave reviews this season, could be worth a look.

First Team Regular NthCarolinaHibs's Avatar
    Fonts has been out injured for months..

@hibs.net private member Juice-Terry's Avatar
    What's the status of Porteous' knee injury - if indeed there is one?

Efe is irreplaceable i reckon. I've been hugely critical of Lennon but he's the only reason Ambrose came to Hibs. Agree Porteous is McGregors successor

I hope Lennon and our scouting network has a touch more ambition and imagination than "players who were previously not guaranteed starters" for recruitment this month....

Left by mutual consent!
    How long is RP out for?

Efe's football was a bonus.

I like a defender who can defend, Porteous does that.

If we can get him defend and we sign a midfield for him to give the ball to then we'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    How long is RP out for?
    Back training

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by GGTTH07 View Post
    Back training
    Thank goodness for some good news then thanks.

@hibs.net private member hibsforeurope's Avatar
    I think we should be building our defence around Porteous. Hanlon is fine and Daz is decent on his day too but both seem to have had more long term injury problems recently and not as reliable.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsforeurope View Post
    I think we should be building our defence around Porteous. Hanlon is fine and Daz is decent on his day too but both seem to have had more long term injury problems recently and not as reliable.
    It’s a massive thing to do building the defence around a guy who should at this stage still be learning the game. We really really need another high standard centre half to come in. Even if it’s someone coming towards the end of their career who has played down south just to guide him through games a little longer, there was times that Efe did cover Ryan’s small mistakes with his footballing brain.

How long is RP out for?
    Hes in his secret underground lair, figuring out how to spend as little as possible on players so he can spend it on ‘tache wax and hamster meat for the half time pies. He should be back in an hour.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Left by mutual consent!
    Hes in his secret underground lair, figuring out how to spend as little as possible on players so he can spend it on ‘tache wax and hamster meat for the half time pies. He should be back in an hour.
    😀😀

@hibs.net private member
    This

For me we should have a back 4 of Gray, porteous, Hanlon and Stevenson

Efe was very good with the ball but he was having to attempt to play much more than he should have.

In the last few weeks he was venturing further forward than before and it was simply because he had nobody to take the ball from him in midfield.

I’m gutted he’s away but I think we have bigger problems, in terms of our ability to play football, than losing him. We need a McGeough type to take the ball from the centre halves so that they don’t need to be running 70 yards with it.

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Efe was very good with the ball but he was having to attempt to play much more than he should have.

In the last few weeks he was venturing further forward than before and it was simply because he had nobody to take the ball from him in midfield.

I’m gutted he’s away but I think we have bigger problems, in terms of our ability to play football, than losing him. We need a McGeough type to take the ball from the centre halves so that they don’t need to be running 70 yards with it.
    spot on bud

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GGTTH07 View Post
    Back training
    Great news, wonder if he’ll go to Dubai

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Connollys11 View Post
    For me we should have a back 4 of Gray, porteous, Hanlon and Stevenson
    Then a holding/breaker up midfielder, two in the middle of the park wide left wide right one up top. Ideally that would be for me but I don’t think it will happen.

Then a holding/breaker up midfielder, two in the middle of the park wide left wide right one up top. Ideally that would be for me but I don’t think it will happen.
    Absolutely bro. Kamara sitting deep, gauld on the left, Boyle right with Allan at the tip of the diamond with moult and shankland up top that would be ma 11 if this window went my way haha

Left by mutual consent!
    😂😂 I like a dreamer.