hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar

Ballet - better than expected

I'm watching Swan Lake by accident and it's fabulous.

The athleticism of the dancers is incredible, and of course, the music is superb.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Heartbreaking, mind. 😉
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £1,789.68!

Been a couple of times to the ballet as youíve said the fitness and ability of the dancers is amazing.

Would recommend it to anyone to give it a try itís a great night out.

@hibs.net private member Jack Hackett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

The athleticism of the dancers is incredible, and of course, the music is superb.
    They make it look so easy, there should be a disclaimer warning folks not to try this at home

I saw a modern version of Swan Lake in Inverness a couple of years ago. We were seated near the front so had the pleasure of seeing the musicians as clearly as the dancers. Despite my probably daft misgivings it was a great experience.

There's loads of things I can't do but not being able to dance is the one that really bothers me. I love watching good dancers and Strictly is one of my TV guilty pleasures. I've been to the ballet twice and it's amazing to see close up.

A few years ago one of my mates was getting married and I was his best man. Him and his now wife went to ballroom lessons to prepare for the 1st dance and they asked the Maid of Honour and myself to go along as well. I was hopeless and even after a few weeks when I had mastered the steps and counting and so on I still looked awful because I just have no rhythym. I think you can teach people the technical aspects of dance but it's one of those things you either have or don't.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post

The ballet is one of my greatest pleasures in life and Swan Lake is probably my favourite Ballet of all. Iíve been lucky enough to attend live on several occasions in various cities and the Christmas Ballet at the EFT with my daughter has been an annual tradition for years now but Swan Lake anywhere, any time, is a must-see.

For the dancing, the music and the overall visuals, the final scene with the battle between Siegfried and Rothbert is as good as the arts get IMO.

I also like that because no two productions are staged exactly the same way, there is always variation. In Swan Lake it is often with the series of national dances that takes place in the court scene in the middle, or with the role of the jester at the start.

Where you are, Northern Ballet will feature Swan Lake in their programme every couple of years or so. I know that a Russian Ballet troupe are in the UK in the spring and playing in Edinburgh in March. A live performance with a proper orchestra is well worth it.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    The ballet is one of my greatest pleasures in life and Swan Lake is probably my favourite Ballet of all. Iíve been lucky enough to attend live on several occasions in various cities and the Christmas Ballet at the EFT with my daughter has been an annual tradition for years now but Swan Lake anywhere, any time, is a must-see.

For the dancing, the music and the overall visuals, the final scene with the battle between Siegfried and Rothbert is as good as the arts get IMO.

I also like that because no two productions are staged exactly the same way, there is always variation. In Swan Lake it is often with the series of national dances that takes place in the court scene in the middle, or with the role of the jester at the start.

Where you are, Northern Ballet will feature Swan Lake in their programme every couple of years or so. I know that a Russian Ballet troupe are in the UK in the spring and playing in Edinburgh in March. A live performance with a proper orchestra is well worth it.
    Thanks, J. I'll check it out.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £1,789.68!

I was lucky enough to go on a school trip to Russia in 1993.

One of the trips arranged for us was a trip to the ballet in Mocow to see Swan Lake. It was the one part of the trip that the majority of the teenage boys hated.

I loved it. At that time I was quite musical, and seeing the ballet accompanied by the live orchestra absolutely blew me away.

Obviously I had to play it cool and pretend to be as unimpressed as everyone else, but it really was top notch.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Iíd love to go see one. Nobody else seems to fancy it though. I might just try and go myself.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    Iíd love to go see one. Nobody else seems to fancy it though. I might just try and go myself.
    Nutcracker is on in Glasgow Concert hall this Sunday. I was looking for 2 tickets but there are only singles available.
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

Scottish Ballet’s production of Cinderella is still on in Edinburgh until Sunday and then goes to Glasgow, Aberdeen and Inverness in January.

It is a proper ballet but the humour of the story is retained with the two ugly sisters. They are a standout, in part because they manage the tricky job of dancing badly, well, at times. I think there were a couple of comedians, Les Dawson was one and maybe Victor Borge (one for the older generation) who could manage the trick of deliberately playing the piano badly yet skilfully and I imagine it is as difficult as producing a textbook performance, if not more so.

Add to that a scrumptious score by Prokofiev, one of the finest in the ballet repertoire and probably only outdone by Swan Lake for me.

Well worth a visit.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

I prefer modern ballet to the traditional, Edward scissorhands as modern ballet was amazing, also seen Alice in wonderland, Rumplestiltskin and rapunzel in recent years.
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    I prefer modern ballet to the traditional, Edward scissorhands as modern ballet was amazing, also seen Alice in wonderland, Rumplestiltskin and rapunzel in recent years.
    I think there's an argument for both.

The classics are simply that - classics.

Modern dance can be incredible too - the Rambert 'Ghost Dances' is better than almost every classic I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    I think there's an argument for both.

The classics are simply that - classics.

Modern dance can be incredible too - the Rambert 'Ghost Dances' is better than almost every classic I've seen.
    I tried to get tickets for the Nutcracker in Glasgow a week on Sunday but there were only a few single seats left, kinky boots at the playhouse instead :-)
    #Persevered

Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    I tried to get tickets for the Nutcracker in Glasgow a week on Sunday but there were only a few single seats left, kinky boots at the playhouse instead :-)
    Enjoy nevertheless

Iíve been to modern ballet (Michael Clark Company and Ballet Rambert) and really enjoyed it. Iím not as drawn to traditional dance but was at a rehearsal for Scottish Ballet once when I was working on a dance school scheme. Up close, the athleticism and skill of the dancers was breathtaking.