hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Slivka

Slivka performed exceptionally well against Celtic and gets a hearty and big "well done!" from this Hibby.

This said, I still remain on the fence with him as I know how capable he is of "disappearing" during games when we really need him to step up.

If he can deliver as he delivered against Celtic from here on in, then I'd be delighted to come off the fence.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Any update on how our Lithuanian Prince is doing?

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lennon's Lip View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Slivka performed exceptionally well against Celtic and gets a hearty and big "well done!" from this Hibby.

This said, I still remain on the fence with him as I know how capable he is of "disappearing" during games when we really need him to step up.

If he can deliver as he delivered against Celtic from here on in, then I'd be delighted to come off the fence.
    I don't think he does disappear, he's in the same position as Lewis Stevenson was early in his career getting played all over the place. There's a few positions that if you play him more often than not you'll get a great performance, and a few other that he can play but they're not natural to him so you may get away with it or he may get found out.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by hughio View Post
    A bit of an aside but what tickled me most as he slid it in so majestically was the Celtc support were still singing that crude little ditty "What a ******y home support"

GIRFUY STFU!
    First and last song they sang all day.

Elephant Stone
    Left by mutual consent!
    Jees o, never noticed how far he ran That is unreal. Beautiful goal.

@hibs.net private member SRHibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Limit Break PSN ID: cyniUK
    Slivka is a boss.

Quote Originally Posted by ian cruise View Post
    I don't think he does disappear, he's in the same position as Lewis Stevenson was early in his career getting played all over the place. There's a few positions that if you play him more often than not you'll get a great performance, and a few other that he can play but they're not natural to him so you may get away with it or he may get found out.

I take your point about Slivka getting "moved around", but if Neil Lennon and Garry Parker have the confidence in him to put him in a certain position,

then Slivka himself must adapt and change his mind set and be more confident about playing in that position.

Slivka has played well within himself in many games in whichever position he has been placed and this is my main concern.

The position he played against Celtic in our 2-0 win is not unknown to him, but he has failed to deliver when played in that same position in previous games.

I also take your point about Stevenson getting "moved around" too, earlier in his career.

In fact, I was Lewis' biggest critic at one point, but he eventually won me over big time by securing a particular position and

making it his own, delivering a minimum 7 in practically all his games

So, likewise, I like to think that Slivka will win me over by holding down a regular slot and position and delivering to the same consistency.
    Last edited by Hi Heid Yin; 17-12-2018 at 07:40 PM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Is he fit for Weds?

Slivka is the sort of player that is effective without looking particularly fancy etc.

For example he is very good at playing one touch passes and just overall his passing and first touch is good and has very good movement. But sometimes he can look a bit unorthodox, where as someone like Hyndman or Allan look almost effortless and cultured when on the ball and as a result I think the stuff they do gets more attention.

One of his biggest assets imo is his movement which is often overlooked, the runs he makes and positions he gets into makes his role seem a lot easier as he doesn’t necessarily need to beat a man to get there unlike others.

Defensively although not a tough tackler, he again understands it well and tucks in and helps the rest of the midfield to be more compact and offers good support to the full back.

Is it a coincidence that our form has improved since his return? I’m not sure. We have a good balance with him in the team and he is a big game player.

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    Any word on whether he's fit tonight?

Quote Originally Posted by ian cruise View Post
    Any word on whether he's fit tonight?
    Lennon said he was having a fitness test this morning in his press conference yesterday. Hopefully he makes it

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by davhibby View Post
    Lennon said he was having a fitness test this morning in his press conference yesterday. Hopefully he makes it
    Looked fit on the VT footage on the news yesterday - was seen doing sprints along with the rest of the squad. That said, Marvin was seen training too.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    Looked fit on the VT footage on the news yesterday - was seen doing sprints along with the rest of the squad. That said, Marvin was seen training too.
    Old footage.

The boot on the foot will be to keep the ankle secure till it's assessed properly, hopefully just a hefty knock and a wee bit swelling, usually stiff for a few days, fingers crossed he's a quick healer.

Testimonial Due Booked4Being-Ugly's Avatar
    Slivka's a cracking player.

For me he's 1st team pick every week.

@hibs.net private member linlithgowhibbie's Avatar
    Both panel experts say week after week when a heavy tackle goes in that "its lucky his foot wasn't anchored (on the turf)as it could have been a legbreaker" yet when Slivka gets halved and his foot is firmly on the ground they just brush over the tackle.

Double standards from the media again.

Slivka need to prove his consistency to earn a ref place. No question there have been games when he’s come on and made a difference. And his 45 on Sun was excellent. But he’s had some poor games when starting in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    Slivka need to prove his consistency to earn a ref place. No question there have been games when he’s come on and made a difference. And his 45 on Sun was excellent. But he’s had some poor games when starting in the past.

@hibs.net private member bringbackbenny's Avatar
    Starts tonight

First Team Breakthrough
    Excellent news

Quote Originally Posted by bringbackbenny View Post
    Starts tonight
    Good news

@hibs.net private member FitbaFolkKen's Avatar
    Always been a fan of SLivka, glad to see him winning others over too! Cheeky fiver on first goal tonight ;)
    Last edited by FitbaFolkKen; 19-12-2018 at 09:41 PM. Reason: No first goal but thought he was good again tonight.

Outstanding tonight

@hibs.net private member essexhibee's Avatar
    He was good tonight I thought
    ​​
    Scottish Cup Winners 2016 - The Immortals

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by CallumHibs07 View Post
    Outstanding tonight
    Agreed. Will get better the more he’s starting games.

Quote Originally Posted by CallumHibs07 View Post
    Outstanding tonight

Lucky he was , some of his midfield colleagues just werent at the races

Starting to really shine now. What a player he is.

@hibs.net private member
    Looking like our best midfielder at the moment. His ball over the top to Boyle with his left foot was brilliant. We need to get someone to play alongside him. Milligan is struggling and Mallan just can't cope physically.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Not sure I would go as far as outstanding but he was definitely the pick of the bunch in midfield. Definitely his best run in a Hibs shirt

@hibs.net private member essexhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    Looking like our best midfielder at the moment. His ball over the top to Boyle with his left foot was brilliant. We need to get someone to play alongside him. Milligan is struggling and Mallan just can't cope physically.
    Where did Mallan play for St Mirren when he had the wonder season? Are we playing him in that same position? He just doesn’t look comfortable there