hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spoty 2018

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthMoroccoStu View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

My Scottish bias aside, they never deserved to get that far in the World Cup
    Why, didn't they deserve their victories?

If Scotland got that far, we'd be outraged if they didn't win team of the year or whatever.

Leave my bias aside 😂
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    The wales team was heavily lauded as team of the year last time. Th Euros is also nowhere near the level of the actual World Cup.

What ever happened to sports review of the year? Used to love that back in the day.

Oh aye, that biased Murray has won it twice, Hot, Giggs and others in the last wee while. A Welshman will win tonight too.
    Andy's actually won it a record four times so as you say, hard to see where the supposed bias comes in. Mind you, he's won it off the back of becoming the first British player to win a Grand Slam in 76 years, the first to win Wimbledon in 77 years (and win it again three years later), winning successive Olympic gold medals, leading GB to Davis Cup victory for the first time since 1936 and topping it off by becoming the world No 1 singles player. It would have been hard to ignore him!!

What did the Scotland men's football team achieve in that time? Nothing. That's the reason they didn't feature. The women's achievement in reaching their first World Cup this year was hopefully mentioned though?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    Andy's actually won it a record four times so as you say, hard to see where the supposed bias comes in. Mind you, he's won it off the back of becoming the first British player to win a Grand Slam in 76 years, the first to win Wimbledon in 77 years (and win it again three years later), winning successive Olympic gold medals, leading GB to Davis Cup victory for the first time since 1936 and topping it off by becoming the world No 1 singles player. It would have been hard to ignore him!!

What did the Scotland men's football team achieve in that time? Nothing. That's the reason they didn't feature. The women's achievement in reaching their first World Cup this year was hopefully mentioned though?
    Murray’s only won it 3 times

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Sauzee View Post
    Murray’s only won it 3 times
    I stand corrected Still a record number of wins though.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan69 View Post
    You fail to forget that there are 4 countries involved here...
    I didn't watch the programme, but if Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland didn't feature in the men's football round-up it's because they didn't achieve anything in 2018.

FWIW, over the last dozen years the award has been won by a Scot four times (Murray and Hoy), three Welshmen (Thomas, Calzaghe and Giggs), a Northern Irishman (McCoy), three Englishmen (Farah, Hamilton, Wiggins) and a Manx (Cavendish).

First Team Regular dalkeith stu's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: hibeestu07
    Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    I didn't watch the programme, but if Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland didn't feature in the men's football round-up it's because they didn't achieve anything in 2018.

FWIW, over the last dozen years the award has been won by a Scot four times (Murray and Hoy), three Welshmen (Thomas, Calzaghe and Giggs), a Northern Irishman (McCoy), three Englishmen (Farah, Hamilton, Wiggins) and a Manx (Cavendish).
    Mo Farahs from Somalia. 😉😉
    Last edited by dalkeith stu; 17-12-2018 at 10:52 AM.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dalkeith stu View Post
    Mo Farahs from Somalia. ����
    If you're going down that route, Bradley Wiggins is Belgian.

And Cav's not British, either.

@hibs.net private member Green Man's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheMightyJag PSN ID: FiveOClockHero
    Quote Originally Posted by dalkeith stu View Post
    Mo Farahs from Somalia. 😉😉
    And Wiggins is from Belgium!

Left by mutual consent!
    I thought Kane was going to win it, golden boot winner taking England to their first World Cup Semi Final in a long time. Well done to Thomas though, great pro.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibeesmad View Post
    I thought Kane was going to win it, golden boot winner taking England to their first World Cup Semi Final in a long time. Well done to Thomas though, great pro.
    Was it a phone vote? Sure I seen something that the Lycra clad middle aged men forums had organised a mass vote.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by patch1875 View Post
    Was it a phone vote? Sure I seen something that the Lycra clad middle aged men forums had organised a mass vote.
    It was

First Team Regular dalkeith stu's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: hibeestu07
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Man View Post
    And Wiggins is from Belgium!
    Didn't know this tbh. Only at the wynd up anyway. I don't agree with the residency rule in sport. Wiggins mum is English and his dad's australian so had a big choice.

I had an interesting discussing with a mate about the world cup V euros.

I argued that the Euros is in fact a harder tournament as the teams involved in the finals are at a higher level than the teams that qualify from Africa, Asia or Australasia etc.

Although Wales did get some recognition for making the Semi's of the Euros it was nowhere near what England had last night. I don't remember the Manics or the Phonics being onstage blasting out a song for the lads.