hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Stevie Mallan

Marvin Bartley-esque today! Showed what he's capable of, combative and his passing was class.

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor Park View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

I should have gone to specsavers

@hibs.net private member Godsahibby's Avatar
    Finally one of the midfielders we have been looking for. Let’s hope he can keep up that level of performance.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vault Boy View Post
    Marvin Bartley-esque today! Showed what he's capable of, combative and his passing was class.
    Nothing like Marv imo but today was probably his best game so far. Didn’t fancy him playing so deep but he strolled it today

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    I described todays performance on another thread as setting the bar - if things slip after this for certain individuals and the whole team then today was meaningless, but many points proved on the pitch today and something to keep doing for the rest of the season.

I didn't see today coming - from Mallan, Lennon and the team overall but it has to continue as such from here.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Mallan was a revelation today, I wasn’t sure he had that in him. He worked really hard and was classy on the ball when under pressure. Some lovely passing, tackling and harrying of his opponent.

Quote Originally Posted by BoomtownHibeys View Post
    Nothing like Marv imo but today was probably his best game so far. Didn’t fancy him playing so deep but he strolled it today
    I was joking with the Marv comparison. 😉

Just good to see him make some solid challenges, a part of his game which is usually subject to criticism.

Agreed, good to see him do well in a different role.

He was outstanding, it was his best game for us so far but as others have said he and other players need to play like that more often but he was a joy today.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Efe was the sponsors motm. Ryan was sky motm.
    I stand corrected

I agree that Mallan had a tremendous game.

He is a quality player and a perpetual goal threat from distance.

But, today he delivered an "all-round" performance, which I for one feel has been missing from him in far too many games - especially during our recent miserable run, where we needed him to contribute far more than the odd free kick or pot shot from far out.

He now needs to take heart from an outstanding performance against the best side in the SPL and work on the mental side of his game - and not allow himself to become all but invisible in those games against your Livingstons and St. Johnstons.

Todays rare "all-round" performance gives us a clue as to why Neil Lennon went for him.

Well done Stevie.
    Last edited by Hi Heid Yin; 16-12-2018 at 09:25 PM.

@hibs.net private member The Spaceman's Avatar
    Stevie Mallan was absolutely immense today.

Have always really liked him as a player, he is technically very good and a freekick is almost as good as a penalty with him standing over it. He is exciting and gets you off your seat whenever he is on the ball in the opposition half.

Like watching a completely different player today. Who knew, Mallan could tackle, harass and compete like that. Where has he been ?

He's obviously got more to his game than just set pieces. Up to Lennon to remind him.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    One pass first half out to Stevenson on the left 45 yards reminded me of the Tornadoes that is the highest compliment I can pay him Stevenson Shudda whipped it into the box first time but decided to check back

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    One pass first half out to Stevenson on the left 45 yards reminded me of the Tornadoes that is the highest compliment I can pay him Stevenson Shudda whipped it into the box first time but decided to check back
    If it’s the one I’m thinking of then Stevenson should definitely have put it in first time. Shaw was in acres and he turned back and passed it off.

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    It was Paul Scholes-esque.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    If it’s the one I’m thinking of then Stevenson should definitely have put it in first time. Shaw was in acres and he turned back and passed it off.
    That’s my boy!
    😁👍🏾⚽️🏆🇳🇬

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan69 View Post
    Complete opposite.
    Mcgeouch seemed scared to shoot most of the time

I think you’re missing the point.

We all know Mallan carries a goal threat. If he can add the good bits from Dylan’s game too... we will have a special player.

When Hibs were at their best last year we did not play with a physical defensive midfield player. It was McGeouch in front of the back four making us tick with Allan and McGinn driving forward from midfield.

When we play, especially at home, do we need a physical defensive midfield player, i.e, Bartley or Milligan.

It is very early in his Hibs career but Lennon could persist with Mallan in the ‘McGeouch’ role. He is a similar size to McGeouch and not blessed with much pace, same as McGeouch.

The only disadvantage in playing Mallan deeper is that he is not as much a goal threat which is a bit a waste of his shooting prowess. He would still take the set pieces.

Mallan possesses the same technical ability as McGeouch. He rarely gives the ball away.

I know we have to move on from last year and my text shows that I regarded McGeouch highly, but after Mallan’s display today he gives us this option.

Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    I thought he's been a passenger recently, and not contributed much apart from the odd free kick or corner. Today he was much much better, he pressed the ball, took it in and controlled it.

He was calm on the ball, played it easy and worked his socks off all game, probably his best all round game for us, well done Stevie, same again Wednesday and the rest of the season.
    thought the wee man was immense today. had one or two passes going adrift at crucial times but overall, a great performance. that cheeky dig, into the bottom corner of the net was almost in. the big lanky gorgie dog just got to it. !

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    I described todays performance on another thread as setting the bar - if things slip after this for certain individuals and the whole team then today was meaningless, but many points proved on the pitch today and something to keep doing for the rest of the season.

I didn't see today coming - from Mallan, Lennon and the team overall but it has to continue as such from here.
    I think you are being a bit harsh to be honest. today, the whole team performed. we were crying out for something like that but never expected id it against Celtic. let's be honest! for me, I'd have settled on a draw! overall, our guys did extremely well and closed down the opposition fairly quickly in the second half when they threatened to get back into the game.we have not lost for 4 games, although dropping 4 points at hame. Happy with that.

Left by mutual consent!
    His best game by far

Quote Originally Posted by monktonharp View Post
    I think you are being a bit harsh to be honest. today, the whole team performed. we were crying out for something like that but never expected id it against Celtic. let's be honest! for me, I'd have settled on a draw! overall, our guys did extremely well and closed down the opposition fairly quickly in the second half when they threatened to get back into the game.we have not lost for 4 games, although dropping 4 points at hame. Happy with that.
    I think the thing is we've shown in flashes this season how good we can be. The opening game of the seaon, 6-0 vs Hamilton and today, we can be brilliant and if we showed more consistency would be looking at battling with Killie and the two arse cheeks. Like you, I just want the best for Hibs and this season has been massively, massively frustrating. Fingers crossed this is the start of a good run kicking off

I think folk need to remember he's still a young lad and compare where he is now to where Mcgeogh or McGinn were at the same stage in their Hibs career if they really must make comparisons. In his own right he's had a good start at Hibs with regards to goals and assists.

I think the thing is we've shown in flashes this season how good we can be. The opening game of the seaon, 6-0 vs Hamilton and today, we can be brilliant and if we showed more consistency would be looking at battling with Killie and the two arse cheeks. Like you, I just want the best for Hibs and this season has been massively, massively frustrating. Fingers crossed this is the start of a good run kicking off
    agreed mate, frustrating as we started fairly well. Always felt though that we'd dip, pick up and kick on a bit. some of the comments about Lennon recently were out of order. how do folk feel tonight, about him? he put out a team that pumped his " beloved ones" and came up trumps. well done NL.

Left by mutual consent!

Was delighted for Flo today!
    Had a hard time recemtly..and what a finish.

Things like that can change alot with Goals.

Mallan was fantastic..and a real threat. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by monktonharp View Post
    agreed mate, frustrating as we started fairly well. Always felt though that we'd dip, pick up and kick on a bit. some of the comments about Lennon recently were out of order. how do folk feel tonight, about him? he put out a team that pumped his " beloved ones" and came up trumps. well done NL.
    Honestly about NL, it's common knowledge that I don't like him and wanted him gone post Killie. If we keep playing the way we did today then I'm proven wrong which is brilliant. If we fall back into the form we did before the last couple of games then we can't live with that level of inconsistency when there's clearly a very good team there. Just as much as we all got carried away after the awful run of form recently (and lets face it, it's because we all want the best for the club and we all see different reasons for the awful run of form we had) there's no point in getting carried away because we scraped a win against Hamilton which some people also got carried away with but today gives cause for optimism again.

If we continue the way we did today I'm proven wrong but I couldn't give a **** because that means that Hibs are winning and winning well, and that's what 100% of us here want.

Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    OP's tongue is firmly in his cheek
    The concept of smileys appears to be alien to some people.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan69 View Post
    Was delighted for Flo today!
    Had a hard time recemtly..and what a finish.

Things like that can change alot with Goals.

Mallan was fantastic..and a real threat. ;)
    It was the black boots what done it for Flo. Back to basics.

Ok with that sentiment. I always feel though that if any club comes through a rough patch, the only way to come through it is to bag a couple of draws here and there before we actually nab a win. we've done that. annoyingly we dropped 4 points at home against lower teams, although it has to be remembered they are both fighting for their lives.

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    Mallan was a revelation today, I wasn’t sure he had that in him. He worked really hard and was classy on the ball when under pressure. Some lovely passing, tackling and harrying of his opponent.
    I think he’s defo got it in him and today showed that.

Still think he has a bit to go as well so here’s hoping this is the start of him getting some serious match fitness about him where he really start to influence games consistently.

Whether he does or not you can still admire his skills...he payed a ball for Lewis in the first half that was a cross field, down the line inch perfect thing of beauty.