hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Stevie Mallan

The man cannae win a ball in midfield.....aye right.
    Brilliant today, worked his socks off. TBF, everyone did. Where have they been for the last 8 games.
    Happy Hibby tonight

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Think the difference today was we played to our strengths and didn’t try and counter how the other team would play, which we seem to have been doing in recent weeks.

Every player looked like they knew their job ( and did it too a man ). They played for each other hassled and got stuck in and ( this was the major thing for me today ) won numerous second balls.

We’ve set a bench mark against the champs and we shouldn’t fear any team, they should fear us. Today was what we’ve wanted and we got it, let’s hope it’s the start of a massive push towards top 4 for Europe. Infact bu88er that top 3 let’s improve on last year. If we play like we did today and get our injured players back, buy we’ll in Jan then I don’t see why we can’t.

GGTTH

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Park View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Offers nothing when he doesn't score
    A criticism which up until today was looking more and more justified … a neat and tidy player who wasn't affecting the game. Today he really stepped up his game played with a far higher intensity closed players down and played some nice passes. His performance was exactly what Neil Lennon was talking about in his post match interview … that's how he needs to play every week and if he can the loss of John McGinn wont be felt so badly around here.

Quote Originally Posted by southern hibby View Post
    Think the difference today was we played to our strengths and didn’t try and counter how the other team would play, which we seem to have been doing in recent weeks.

Every player looked like they knew their job ( and did it too a man ). They played for each other hassled and got stuck in and ( this was the major thing for me today ) won numerous second balls.

We’ve set a bench mark against the champs and we shouldn’t fear any team, they should fear us. Today was what we’ve wanted and we got it, let’s hope it’s the start of a massive push towards top 4 for Europe. Infact bu88er that top 3 let’s improve on last year. If we play like we did today and get our injured players back, buy we’ll in Jan then I don’t see why we can’t.

GGTTH

This, we need to play to our strengths and stop chopping and changing shape to suit other teams, the players all looked like they knew exactly what their jobs were and performed it perfectly, no round pegs in square holes, Slivka being the prime example.

Quote Originally Posted by southern hibby View Post

GGTTH
    We definitely tried to counter how Celtic were playing. We pushed very high up to stop them passing it out and packed the middle to force them out wide.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    We definitely tried to counter how Celtic were playing. We pushed very high up to stop them passing it out and packed the middle to force them out wide.

yes, agreed - Lennon's tactics were outstanding yesterday - quite a different style from us - played a huge part in the result.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    I don’t see it that way I see us with two strikers up the pitch who fought for everything. Packed the midfield as you said, but again think this was because of the players we had available.

It’s amazing though how fans read the game different from one another.

I will say this though either way each of us interprets that display, it was a display worth watching.

GGTTH

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Offers nothing when he doesn't score
    Where are your winking smilies the night then pal eh?

Left by mutual consent!
    Back to his usual

He simply has to play better regularly

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Was totally outstanding versus Celtic

Was fortunate that Rocky went off tonight as was a candidate for the hook imho

The only thing he's got that's better than any the midfielders he's up against for a starting slot is his long range shots. If we aren't going to play him anywhere near the oppositions box then there's no point having him in there. Slivka is far better in every other department for me. He's trying harder though, but we can do better. Don't like saying it but I don't think we would miss any our current midfield if they walked out the door in January.

Loves to stand about pointing at everyone else. Offered near on **** all the whole game.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    Gave the ball away in the 2nd minute and that set the tone for the rest of his game. Not his best performance.

Utterly pathetic some Hibs fans want to come on here and seemingly point score after the boy didn't play well today.

He's a young lad who will have on and off spells throughout the season.

@hibs.net private member
    Very poor tonight. He was outstanding on Sunday so we know what level he can play at. He needs to do it far more often but to be fair to him there was next to no movement from our forward players tonight

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    Was the main issue they crowded us out the midfield and harried us all game? After Sunday we just didn't have it in us to cope with that, let's not get the pitch forks out just yet. Beat Livi and it's been a good run going in to the derby.

Only difference between us and him tonight is he got in for free. I’m a big fan of his and I’m still convinced that over time he will improve as a player but tonight has to be the worst I’ve seen of him in a hibs shirt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    Utterly pathetic some Hibs fans want to come on here and seemingly point score after the boy didn't play well today.

Many aren't 'point scoring', just being objective and saying he was very off the pace tonight and for games like this, he needs to completely 'up his game' and realise you don't get those extra seconds on the ball when you have quality opposition trying to win it back - and when you lose the ball, you bust a gut to harry and chase and win it back.

If he wants to progress he needs to add this to his game - it's not being overly critical - it's being honest in a critique of a good player who needs to add things to his game to reach top level.

Watch the game back and count how many time he lost possession or played suicidal balls back -watch second half how many times he was caught in possession and failed to track runners ? Mallan and Hyndman in particular owe a lot to the likes of Bogdan, Lewy, Efe and Porteous for bailing them out tonight and grinding out a point.

He is a good player, but needs to realise his all round game needs to really improve and quickly.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar

I’ve not saw anyone point scoring other than Victor Park taking the mickey out himself? Just people pointing out he was poor tonight and needs to do more.

Struggling with a groin injury tonight.

I think sometimes players expect too much from his passing sometimes and don’t always give him an easy option, a lot of the time he gets it in a right area and they expect him to turn out and hit a 30 yard pass.

Very hard to do under that much pressure.

I don't like to knock our players but he was very poor tonight.
    Caught in possession time after time which set up numerous potentially fatal counter attacks for Rangers.

He takes world class free kicks and his shooting is great.
    However, as a player he simply isn't good enough.
    He works hard, so nothing to do with that but is just not fast enough, strong enough or good enough.
    I wanted Milligan to replace him at half time and couldn't believe Horgan was hooked instead.

Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    I don't like to knock our players but he was very poor tonight.
    Caught in possession time after time which set up numerous potentially fatal counter attacks for Rangers.

He takes world class free kicks and his shooting is great.
    However, as a player he simply isn't good enough.
    He works hard, so nothing to do with that but is just not fast enough, strong enough or good enough.
    I wanted Milligan to replace him at half time and couldn't believe Horgan was hooked instead.
    I don’t think he’s absolutely not good enough but in this day and age having such a lack of athleticism will stop you going much further in the game and I reckon that will be the case with him. May improve and go on to be a solid player for us for years but I can’t see him ever moving on to bigger things than Hibs due to it.

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Annoyed me how he can go from the player he was on Sunday to the opposite tonight. There’s a player in there 100% but really needs to show it consistently

Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    Many aren't 'point scoring', just being objective and saying he was very off the pace tonight and for games like this, he needs to completely 'up his game' and realise you don't get those extra seconds on the ball when you have quality opposition trying to win it back - and when you lose the ball, you bust a gut to harry and chase and win it back.

If he wants to progress he needs to add this to his game - it's not being overly critical - it's being honest in a critique of a good player who needs to add things to his game to reach top level.

Watch the game back and count how many time he lost possession or played suicidal balls back -watch second half how many times he was caught in possession and failed to track runners ? Mallan and Hyndman in particular owe a lot to the likes of Bogdan, Lewy, Efe and Porteous for bailing them out tonight and grinding out a point.

He is a good player, but needs to realise his all round game needs to really improve and quickly.
    Kinda where I’m at

He needs to stop turning backwards, Slivka first touch is nearly always forward thinking, Mallan always wants to go back into his own half.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar

Would be absolutely over the moon if he proves us wrong but one swallow doesn’t make a summer you got to do it week in week out if you are going to make it in this game.

You should know that!

He set a bar on Sunday and fell below it tonight

In my book he he had a shocker and the boy unfortunately will know it himself

Sunday was his best performance for us by far, he was terrific.

Overall though I've not been impressed so far. He's hit some brilliant free kicks and long range efforts but his overall play has left a lot to be desired.

Quote Originally Posted by ian cruise View Post
    Was the main issue they crowded us out the midfield and harried us all game? After Sunday we just didn't have it in us to cope with that, let's not get the pitch forks out just yet. Beat Livi and it's been a good run going in to the derby.
    We still need to go to ibrox

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    I’ve not saw anyone point scoring other than Victor Park taking the mickey out himself? Just people pointing out he was poor tonight and needs to do more.
    Couldn't help myself. 1 all to me!

Couldn't help myself. 1 all to me!