'Oh yes he did, oh no he didn't.'

Good entertainment on this thread

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He didn't.
    Agreed....he had a great game!

Left by mutual consent!
    The Whittaker debate is a real strange one.

On one side there's the staunch defenders of his abilities and he can do no wrong. On the other side there is people who just can't see him do any right.

For me his performance was really mixed on Wed. He had some lovely touches and those couple of nut megs were quality. Defensively he was good and he didn't get much assistance with the diamond.

On the other hand he did get caught on the ball a few times and the one he just shelled out the park from the throw in was poor.

Both the praise and the negativity towards whitty are way over the top imo.

What we have is a decent professional who is clearly coming to end of a brilliant career. He's still a valuable member of squad.

He's clearly not Cafu nor is he Alan Maybury.
    Last edited by Robbo6-2; 21-12-2018 at 06:18 PM.

There is no other player in the squad who divides our support more than Whittaker.

My own feeling is that Whittaker is getting old and he does now lack an initial burst of speed. Can often get found out in open play and if he gets too close to his direct opponent.

As he defends at full-back he can get exposed which can be alarming when watching him. Lennon obviously will know this during training sessions, but he must have positives in his game. I feel his height is a good thing as I have always felt Stevenson is too small for a Hibs left-back.

Let’s be honest. We rarely have a finished article at Hibs, this is why they are here.....anyone who gets near this is sold for big money, for example McGinn.

We need to accept what we have and if anyone is having a bad game, don’t give the individual too hard a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibees1973 View Post
    There is no other player in the squad who divides our support more than Whittaker.

My own feeling is that Whittaker is getting old and he does now lack an initial burst of speed. Can often get found out in open play and if he gets too close to his direct opponent.

As he defends at full-back he can get exposed which can be alarming when watching him. Lennon obviously will know this during training sessions, but he must have positives in his game. I feel his height is a good thing as I have always felt Stevenson is too small for a Hibs left-back.

Let’s be honest. We rarely have a finished article at Hibs, this is why they are here.....anyone who gets near this is sold for big money, for example McGinn.

We need to accept what we have and if anyone is having a bad game, don’t give the individual too hard a time.
    fair and honest assessment but changing your assessment I thought lewis was very good the other(despite his lack of height)night which hasn't been mentioned by maney

Quote Originally Posted by shetlandhibee View Post
    fair and honest assessment but changing your assessment I thought lewis was very good the other(despite his lack of height)night which hasn't been mentioned by maney
    many lol just in from works do

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Hey!

Looking back I have had time to reflect and you were correct he was never the quickest good going forward and suspect defensively

I wish I had his Bank balance though

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

BillyHibs
    At least we can agree on that!

Quote Originally Posted by Hibees1973 View Post

I think that's fair. Rangers, probably more than most, try to double up and get their full backs forward as much as possible. Us playing a diamond (i.e. Very narrow) in midfield played in to their hands a bit. Despite the lack of support whitty was okay. There were better and worse on the pitch for us.

Left by mutual consent!
    SW taking all games into account has been IMO at the very most an average signing. He has had good games but the fact I can remember most of them says to me it is the exception.

It reminds me a bit of folk telling me they won £100 at the weekend on a coupon then 4 or 5 weeks later they tell you won £100 again. What went on in between those times?
    Last edited by Captain Trips; 21-12-2018 at 10:56 PM.

First Team Breakthrough
    Whittaker is a legend.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbo27 View Post
    The Whittaker debate is a real strange one.

On one side there's the staunch defenders of his abilities and he can do no wrong. On the other side there is people who just can't see him do any right.

For me his performance was really mixed on Wed. He had some lovely touches and those couple of nut megs were quality. Defensively he was good and he didn't get much assistance with the diamond.

On the other hand he did get caught on the ball a few times and the one he just shelled out the park from the throw in was poor.

Both the praise and the negativity towards whitty are way over the top imo.

What we have is a decent professional who is clearly coming to end of a brilliant career. He's still a valuable member of squad.

He's clearly not Cafu nor is he Alan Maybury.
    You are 100% correct in my opinion. What frustrates me is those people that focus on the one or two bad passes and fail to acknowledge the many good things that he does.

Quote Originally Posted by F'Res Hibbie View Post
    I think that's fair. Rangers, probably more than most, try to double up and get their full backs forward as much as possible. Us playing a diamond (i.e. Very narrow) in midfield played in to their hands a bit. Despite the lack of support whitty was okay. There were better and worse on the pitch for us.
    You could clearly see, especially in the first half, that Whittaker had to deal with a left sided winger and defender alone. Slivka was always one position in-field. I counted a number of times when Whittaker held up the winger until Slivka came over to provide some support. A less experience defender might have dived in and we would have been totally exposed, but he didn't.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Whittaker has never been the best defender we've ever had, but he's come back and been part of a squad thats given us our biggest points total ever in the league.

He's also just been part of a team thats taken 4 points from 6 against the bigots, and contributed to us not conceding any goals in those games.

He will never be the best right back we have, but he's a good back up, and a good back up for a few other positions too.

I dont think we've ever had an injury season like this, and he's been one of them injured too, but he's filled in, given good performances and some bad, a bit like the rest of them.

The team is being rebuilt again, come the summer i'd think his game time will reduce even further, but he will have helped us in that rebuild, and for that i am very thankful.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Whittaker has never been the best defender we've ever had, but he's come back and been part of a squad thats given us our biggest points total ever in the league.

He's also just been part of a team thats taken 4 points from 6 against the bigots, and contributed to us not conceding any goals in those games.

He will never be the best right back we have, but he's a good back up, and a good back up for a few other positions too.

I dont think we've ever had an injury season like this, and he's been one of them injured too, but he's filled in, given good performances and some bad, a bit like the rest of them.

The team is being rebuilt again, come the summer i'd think his game time will reduce even further, but he will have helped us in that rebuild, and for that i am very thankful.
    I agree with most of that. I thought he would be a good signing although was a wee bit concerned about the length of contract. He was injured and struggled to recover and now he is fit is looking to be a useful player for us in a few positions.