hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sean Mackie

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Mallan has only held his own in midfield once(yesterday)and needs to carry on from where he left off against Der Hun on Wednesday by putting in the tackles and by spraying the passes and continuing to dictate the pace and tempo of the game Shaw is still too easily knocked off the ball for my liking and needs to bulk up and improve his hold up play to succeed in the premiership

Onwards and upwards!
    Mallan has held his own Vs Motherwell, Kilmarnock, st mirren, Hamilton, dundee, Aberdeen and now Celtic. And done well in the European games. His struggles have been massively exaggerated.

Shaw is already succeeding in this league. He just needs to keep playing and improving.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    He reminds me very much of Lewis Morgan. Ostensibly a full back who loves to attack evolving into a left sided midfielder or even attacker. I'm absolutely delighted to see him effectively add left sided width to our squad.

Lewis Morgan is a cultured tricky skilful wide tanner ba player Sean Mackie is built like a brick **** house solid with a cultured intelligent beautiful left foot he was unlucky not to set up Flo with his first attempted pass two polar opposites of footballers I cannot imagine and no way can they be described as being similar but agree they bring the same attributes to both their teams.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Mallan has held his own Vs Motherwell, Kilmarnock, st mirren, Hamilton, dundee, Aberdeen and now Celtic. And done well in the European games. His struggles have been massively exaggerated.

Shaw is already succeeding in this league. He just needs to keep playing and improving.

not so sure about that - he has largely been good on the ball...but off the ball, he has been caught napping frequently, with his opponent running past him way too many times..work rate was much more disciplined yesterday. Great to see.

When I say “ held his own” I am speaking about the physicality of their games so looking back on the games you mention it is a no from me regarding Stevie Mallan the only tackle I recall him putting in was against St Mirren a feeble attempt which got him booked.

He was very impressive yesterday and needs to kick on from that performance as it was almost perfect

More of the same against The Rangers please.

Olly is a fine young talent has a good work ethic and yes I agree he will only improve by playing but needs to add muscle and improve his holdup play and ball retention

When I say “ held his own” I am speaking about the physicality of their games so looking back on the games you mention it is a no from me regarding Stevie Mallan the only tackle I recall him putting in was against St Mirren a feeble attempt which got him booked.

He was very impressive yesterday and needs to kick on from that performance as it was almost perfect

More of the same against The Rangers please.

Olly is a fine young talent has a good work ethic and yes I agree he will only improve by playing but needs to add muscle and improve his holdup play and ball retention
    You think Mallan only put in one tackle in all those wins I mentioned? I don't remember anyone complaining about Mallans physicality after any of them.

You think Mallan only put in one tackle in all those wins I mentioned? I don't remember anyone complaining about Mallans physicality after any of them.
    Agree with Big Wheels comments on Stevie Mallan for the avoidance of any doubt Stevie Mallan was the one with the number 14 on his back standing watching whilst the opposition ran past him with the ball

The “tackle” came in the recent 2-2 at Easter Road

Mallan has only held his own in midfield once(yesterday)and needs to carry on from where he left off against Der Hun on Wednesday by putting in the tackles and by spraying the passes and continuing to dictate the pace and tempo of the game Shaw is still too easily knocked off the ball for my liking and needs to bulk up and improve his hold up play to succeed in the premiership

Onwards and upwards!

Problem we and Mallan have had is that the midfield has been all over the place shape and personnel wise, having 2 proper midfielders along side him yesterday made a huge difference, I think it it gave him more confidence to be the midfielder we all knew he can be.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Problem we and Mallan have had is that the midfield has been all over the place shape and personnel wise, having 2 proper midfielders along side him yesterday made a huge difference, I think it it gave him more confidence to be the midfielder we all knew he can be.
    Agree 100% That performance yesterday was the player we all hoped we were getting add to that the fact he has goals in his locker let us hope he can now kick on and become a club legend 😁

Bale was once a LB I say keep him further forward

Another great prospect coming through Academy.
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

He can play all down the left, he's certainly been hitting the gym this past 2 years a definitely looks ready for more starts.
    He switched sides with Hyndman I think.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    not so sure about that - he has largely been good on the ball...but off the ball, he has been caught napping frequently, with his opponent running past him way too many times..work rate was much more disciplined yesterday. Great to see.
    So very much like Dylan then?

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar

Lewis Morgan is a cultured tricky skilful wide tanner ba player Sean Mackie is built like a brick **** house solid with a cultured intelligent beautiful left foot he was unlucky not to set up Flo with his first attempted pass two polar opposites of footballers I cannot imagine and no way can they be described as being similar but agree they bring the same attributes to both their teams.
    Think Brog must have the wrong guy....can't recall Lewis Morgan playing full back and as you say, not exactly similar in build or size.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    Think Brog must have the wrong guy....can't recall Lewis Morgan playing full back and as you say, not exactly similar in build or size.
    Surprised at Brog normally sensible and level headed in his posts as you say must be a case of mistaken identity
    Anyway I thought Lewis Morgan looked a player when he came on the only player that they had that could unlock our defence was Scott Allan and he was not even stripped 😳

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldy Foghorn View Post
    Another great prospect coming through Academy.
    Did we not buy him (Raith ?) for a small fee ?

Quote Originally Posted by southsider View Post
    25k chose us over Hearts sensible boy!

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by southsider View Post
    We did but he was still very raw. I recall a fee of around £25,000

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    25k chose us over Hearts sensible boy!
    Elphinstone to East Mains is far easier than Elphinstone to Riccarton.

@hibs.net private member Johnny_Leith's Avatar
    He was great, first time I've seen him play since Raith at home I think?

Am I right in saying Lennon stated at the start of the season there was a few academy players close to a break through?

Great if they can come through and contribute.

Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    Elphinstone to East Mains is far easier than Elphinstone to Riccarton.
    With those brains could you imagine Sean trying to get from Elphi to Riccarton on buses Scoop? 😂

I love the fact that the lad gave us something we've been missing, a fast attacking wide player who can really hit a long pass.

Some of his passes were fantastic, especially when he laid on the second goal.

Quote Originally Posted by KWJ View Post
    He switched sides with Hyndman I think.
    He played on the left of midfield when he came on, couple of cracking whipped in balls from there and that pass to Flo was from the left too.

He played on the left of midfield when he came on, couple of cracking whipped in balls from there and that pass to Flo was from the left too.
    And Emerson played on the left side first half, hence how they swapped sides, with Hyndman going over to the right to replace Slivka.

Thought he made aBrilliant contribtion and Lennon acknowledged the role he played in the second half Lennon also indicated that one of the reasons he hadmnt featured more was his Mental Application So throwing the Gaunklet down for the Younster to hopefully be in the Tesm on Wed Night and apply himself the same way he did v Celtic

Blog Entries

Early on Morgan either played wide in a middle 4 or as an attacking wing back with Saints. He scored 1 goal in his 1st 2 seasons, 30 games. He was then moved forward, usually in a forward 3 supporting a lone striker & scored 23 in his next 2 seasons. (about 70 games I think). He's now described as a winger. As you say the similarities I referred to were what he brings to the team, a left footed player with skill & pace giving us natural width. I'll leave the obsession with men's physiques to you Billy!

Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    Early on Morgan either played wide in a middle 4 or as an attacking wing back with Saints. He scored 1 goal in his 1st 2 seasons, 30 games. He was then moved forward, usually in a forward 3 supporting a lone striker & scored 23 in his next 2 seasons. (about 70 games I think). He's now described as a winger. As you say the similarities I referred to were what he brings to the team, a left footed player with skill & pace giving us natural width. I'll leave the obsession with men's physiques to you Billy!
    Ha Ha! No way are they similar Morgan is a slightly built tricky gifted wee player Mackie is a Man Mountain in comparison and is more a left back than a winger but played a stormer for us Left mid I do not think Morgan has ever been a left back in his puff maybe when he is old and grey like Arthur Duncan The eye does not lie 😁

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by May2116 View Post
    So very much like Dylan then?

Dylan has more discipline without the ball and going backwards than Mallan...

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    Hopefully those are things that he can improve upon. He's got the ability when he has the ball and that's harder to teach, the bits he's missing are thoroughly coachable

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by ian cruise View Post
    Hopefully those are things that he can improve upon. He's got the ability when he has the ball and that's harder to teach, the bits he's missing are thoroughly coachable

agreed...he is certainly in a great place to learn and develop...and as you say he has got stuff in his locker that Dylan certainly didn't have...

He really didn’t. He was criticised near weekly at times on here because players literally wandered off him into the box and had chances. For all Dylan’s outstanding play, he switched off on many occasions without the ball.