hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There's a system in place in France which makes it easier to be a professional musician. Basically if you declare a certain number of 'dates' (I think it's 42 over a ten month period) then you you also get paid about €1000/month in social security. The 'dates' however are properly paid - I think the minimum is something like €130, to which you add the same again for charges (tax, NI, etc.), meaning that 2 guys playing in your pub for a couple of hours on a Friday night will cost €500+.

The same applies to soundmen, lighting techs., etc.

There's no doubt that the huge drop in CD sales has affected the viability of wee groups. A lot of groups (not necessarily French) could almost match their gig fee in CD sales but that's history now.
    I made nothing as a roadie drum tech and merchandise seller but I loved every minute of being on the road. A pizza or burger was pretty standard as payment, other incentives were also available

I worked mainly in Germany but also Belgium and Netherlands
    Last edited by wpj; 31-12-2018 at 03:40 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Dalianwanda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wpj View Post
    Agree about gigging, I worked with bands in Europe where there are really good music venues just the right size for bands to play. The same bands can struggle here as there are fewer venues left. Some are lucky to break even but tour because they love it. Merchandise barely covers the petrol. It's sad because there are a lot of good bands out there.
    The talent around at the moment is unreal. I was at one festival last year where it was irish based acts only. The festival had started that way cause the could rope in mates and keep costs down. It went that well they did they same this year and the quality was so high. That was just electronic and experimental stuff so just one gendre of a small island.

There’s only a couple of artists i know who have it as a full time profession, the others need full time jobs. Even my old flat mates won the irish equivalent of the Brits best album & both still hold down other jobs to allow them to create and share.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalianwanda View Post
    The talent around at the moment is unreal. I was at one festival last year where it was irish based acts only. The festival had started that way cause the could rope in mates and keep costs down. It went that well they did they same this year and the quality was so high. That was just electronic and experimental stuff so just one gendre of a small island.

There’s only a couple of artists i know who have it as a full time profession, the others need full time jobs. Even my old flat mates won the irish equivalent of the Brits best album & both still hold down other jobs to allow them to create and share.
    Sounds interesting, I think Ireland is a better place to gig as it loves live music, not sure how electronic music goes down. I once DJd in a pub in Leitrim as a favour (not at all a DJ) totally bombed and was replaced by a group of trad musicians. Was a great night though.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wpj View Post
    Sounds interesting, I think Ireland is a better place to gig as it loves live music, not sure how electronic music goes down. I once DJd in a pub in Leitrim as a favour (not at all a DJ) totally bombed and was replaced by a group of trad musicians. Was a great night though.
    Well theres a wealth of talent in the area...Its niche though..In the village where we live theres live music every night & we only have four pubs..The open mic in the pub next door on a monday is amazing. All free.

Saying that because theres so much music available folk take a bit more nudging to actually pay to go to a gig. My mates do a monthly thing with a real different slant to the usual trad/rock fare here. Getting artists like Gnod/joy orbison over. It has a steady group of folk who turn up but for most of the gigs they are pretty poorly supported. Mindset from so many is why should I pay? Id happily fork out but a lot like local & like what they know without wanting to challenge it. Obviously Dublin was far more eclectic.

Coaching Staff The Green Goblin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalianwanda View Post
    From speaking to a couple of mates here even the gigging revenue is being hijacked..Being asked to pay to get a string of uni gigs, not being payed for tv work, not being paid for festival work. So many greedy promoters looking after themselves and justifying the costs saying the artists will get exposure.

My next door neighbour has set up a new music platform where fans can share ownership of the artists income. So the artist gets a salary and anyone investing in them gets a share of the success.....it’s an interesting concept fanled.ie
    Bandcamp is a great site which allows folk to set cost directly and money goes to them. They can also opt for donation or zero charge for downloading.

Coaching Staff The Green Goblin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by allant1981 View Post
    What's your bands name and I'll have a listen
    Cheers - just crashing out but will pm you details in the next day or two. 👍

matty_f wrote...

There's HMV going into administration now, was funny (for want of a better word) seeing people saying they were sad to hear the news when nobody wants to pay for music now.
    I'd say Netflix, Spotify and Amazon done more damage than piracy, especially since the last collapse. Could a lack of decent artists and music also be its downfall? You put the radio on and its utter utter guff played constantly, never any decent bands. I could be talking nonsense here but i'd imagine a James fan will be more inclined to buy a record or cd than a James Arthur fan..? Hopefully Fopp survive it, same owners as HMV I think.

I use all 3 services so as guilty as the rest. Dunno what the answer is though... Wouldn't surprise me to see cinemas go next with Amazon Prime and Netflix flourishing. Have a broadband black out 10 hours a week, force people out into the real world instead of being cooked up behind closed doors sat behind a smart phone or tv set :D

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Antifa Hibs View Post
    I'd say Netflix, Spotify and Amazon done more damage than piracy, especially since the last collapse. Could a lack of decent artists and music also be its downfall? You put the radio on and its utter utter guff played constantly, never any decent bands. I could be talking nonsense here but i'd imagine a James fan will be more inclined to buy a record or cd than a James Arthur fan..? Hopefully Fopp survive it, same owners as HMV I think.

I use all 3 services so as guilty as the rest. Dunno what the answer is though... Wouldn't surprise me to see cinemas go next with Amazon Prime and Netflix flourishing. Have a broadband black out 10 hours a week, force people out into the real world instead of being cooked up behind closed doors sat behind a smart phone or tv set :D
    You may well be right. Spotify etc definitely play a part, though there's also probably the argument that they offered musicians a way of getting some payment for stuff that was (when they launched) available on Napster etc illegally for free.

The removal of the need to physically own the media is a factor as well - when you couldn't play a file you needed the vinyl, cassette, or CD (or minidisc if you were a fancy-dan like me! )so MP3 players and iPods also take a big share of the responsibility for the demise of the traditional record shops.

It's a great point about the artists as well - I'm not an age which pop music is aimed at, so I'm probably not that qualified to comment, but my views on current music is that it's bland, music-by-numbers formulaic guff, with very little to differentiate artists.

It's hard to see where a musical movement like punk, baggy, grunge, britpop etc will emerge and without that sort of thing for 'kids' to identify with, they're going to be happy streaming stuff for nothing and not needing to own a CD etc.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Antifa Hibs View Post

Do you listen to Radio 6 Music?

It's a great station, great artists and bands, old and new.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £1,789.68!

@hibs.net private member Mantis Toboggan's Avatar
    Surely this goes without saying but current music is not just what radio 1 play...radio 6 is a good starting point as said above.

Blog Entries
    Dublin Digital Radio has sprung up over the past few years & covers a huge spectrum of music. Don’t know if there’s anything similar in Scotland? If there is let me know.

https://listen.dublindigitalradio.com/

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: dave7062
    Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    A girl in my office is also a musician and has an album that is on Spotify, Apple Music, etc. She says she makes pretty much nothing out of it, especially in comparison to one CD sale.
    Not surprising given the royalties that streaming services pay.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by degenerated View Post
    Not surprising given the royalties that streaming services pay.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    That's a big market share for Pandora; I've never even heard of it.

@hibs.net private member Green Man's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheMightyJag PSN ID: FiveOClockHero
    I think Pandora is big in the USA.