hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Haymaker View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bain I thought was trying to do a very difficult job that, at points, seemed like only he knew how bad it was. The transfer bit was an example, they were looking at players they had no chance of getting and/or completely out of the budget after the relegation.

Rodwell came across as a Dick but not his fault he had that contract and the club couldn't pay him off.
    The rodwell situation was cringey,u could tell he was going nowhere.and probably although injured,clearly didny fancy it,a bit piss take perhaps??anyway he eas a signing made while the cash was rolling in premiership style I think,and provides evidence of how messed up the game has become,literally being paid 70k a week to keep the physio company.clubs have no power in these situations,im no saying every plaer injured needs sacking but canny deny its no right.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by allant1981 View Post
    At 70k per week, I highly doubt it, again would you go from earning that to zero per week?
    He wouldn’t have gone to zero though would he? I can’t get upset about a player going from £70K a week to, say, £40K a week. Meanwhile hard pressed punters earning a fraction of what he earned in a week in a year plough money into the club. Morally reprehensible. In my opinion of course.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop Hibee View Post
    He wouldn’t have gone to zero though would he? I can’t get upset about a player going from £70K a week to, say, £40K a week. Meanwyhard oressed punters earning a fraction of what he earned in a week in a year plough money into the club. Morally reprehensible. In my opinion of course.
    If no club signed him then he would have been on zero, even taking a 40 grand per week pay cut is massive, these guys will have mortgages based on these wages, cars based on these wages,everyone's lifestyle is based on what they earn/can afford, could you afford to take an almost 50% pay cut?

He wouldn’t have gone to zero though would he? I can’t get upset about a player going from £70K a week to, say, £40K a week. Meanwhile hard pressed punters earning a fraction of what he earned in a week in a year plough money into the club. Morally reprehensible. In my opinion of course.
    Totally agree,he was wasny even playing either!!.it felt wrong watching it!as u say if the guy took a pay cut while the club was struggling,they could have got what they needed transfer wise to stay in the leauge.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    I don’t enjoy seeing Celtic win but I did have a wry smile that they thought they could beat the champions of Scotland by 3 or 4 to boost their confidence.. only to get their ***** handed to them 5 or 6-0 at home.
    I'm in the same boat mate, loved watching them get absolutely skelped - even if it was Celtic doing the skelping.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Really hope there’s a second series as I’d love to see how Jack Ross comes across.

In saying that though, if I was Jack Ross I’d insist on the cameras ****ing right off. It’s a hard enough job as it is without cameras following you and the players around.
    Yepp, totally agree. Imagine having a ***** time at work and then having to explain to cameras why you're having a ***** time.

With regards to Coleman, who I actually thought came across well considering the circumstances, you saw the cracks when he had the confrontation with the supporter. Although I think I'd have done the same if it was me.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by SallyCinnamon View Post
    Shambles of a club. Seem to be making hard work of the English League One now too. Makes you wonder why McGeough went there. No real sympathy for them. The only two times I've encountered their support at Easter Road they were grade A roasters.
    5 points off top with a game in hand is hardly making hard work of the league

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    If no club signed him then he would have been on zero, even taking a 40 grand per week pay cut is massive, these guys will have mortgages based on these wages, cars based on these wages,everyone's lifestyle is based on what they earn/can afford, could you afford to take an almost 50% pay cut?
    If I earned in a year what he earned in a week I could. Do you think what he did was right? If you do then we just have to agree to disagree. I believe there is more to life than money and have lived accordingly.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    If I earned in a year what he earned in a week I could. Do you think what he did was right? If you do then we just have to agree to disagree. I believe there is more to life than money and have lived accordingly.
    But you don’t know what his financial responsibilities are so you can’t say what he should or shouldn’t have done.

There’s a ridiculous percentage of footballers that go bankrupt after they retire from the game as the lifestyle they lead during their playing careers is so expensive to maintain.

Quote Originally Posted by BoomtownHibeys View Post
    5 points off top with a game in hand is hardly making hard work of the league
    The form guide has them 12th over the last 6 games. They're certainly making hard work of it.

But you don't so can't ever say what you would do, and yes I think he was right

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Euan88
    I don't have a problem with what Rodwell did. If a company offers you a certain amount of money then that's their fault, not your's. I thought Bain was out of order for criticising Rodwell the way he did - would he have left if he was in Rodwell's position? No chance.

If they felt he wasn't trying to make himself available to play then they should've sacked him.

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

I don't have a problem with Rodwell refusing to budge on his contract.

I have a big problem with what he was prepared to do for his £70k per week. The guy has zero integrity and is a work shy waster.

He's lucky to have managed to get any job in football after Sunderland and if English football wasn't in such a bloated state, awash with money and desperate clubs then he would surely have found his reputation toxic and one that no credible club would be prepared to touch.

I'd hoped he'd land up at Sevco tbh. They're a perfect match.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    It wasn’t right, but some people have no morals, they are 100% mercenary in their approach. Rodwell is a prime example of why I sometimes hate what football has become.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    But you don’t know what his financial responsibilities are so you can’t say what he should or shouldn’t have done.

There’s a ridiculous percentage of footballers that go bankrupt after they retire from the game as the lifestyle they lead during their playing careers is so expensive to maintain.
    He can say, because it’s a discussion and I would add a huge boo hoo to dafties that squander that kind of dosh because of their lifestyle. I know most are uneducated and insulated from the reality of the outside world from an early age, but an ounce of common sense would help you navigate the pitfalls.

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Rodwell drained them of £12M during his time there. A club that by the end was on its knees. I'm surprised he could live around the area and that any club would touch him after that. Ultimately its the clubs fault though. Not inserting a relegation clause in a Premier League contract is just gross mismanagement.
    Last edited by Baader; 13-01-2019 at 09:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    It wasn’t right, but some people have no morals, they are 100% mercenary in their approach. Rodwell is a prime example of why I sometimes hate what football has become.

He can say, because it’s a discussion and I would add a huge boo hoo to dafties that squander that kind of dosh because of their lifestyle. I know most are uneducated and insulated from the reality of the outside world from an early age, but an ounce of common sense would help you navigate the pitfalls.
    What utter rubbish, there are numerous multi millionaires that have lost everything due to bad business moved or whatever, to suggest they lose it due to being uneducated is just Ill informed nonsense

A company I know of has just went bust because they lost a few big contracts, company owner lost a lot of money because of it, he is most definitely not a "daftie"

Easy for me to say as i don't have all the temptations 70k a week would bring but why would EPL footballers just not choose to live a moderately normal lifestyle? If my work offered me 70k a week I'd happily continues to live where i am, pay my mortgage off after a couple of weeks and maybe build a wee extension and garage for my motor. Set for life after a year. I really don't understand the lavish lifestyle these lads want to live. Crazy how some become bankrupt but like i said, easy for me to say.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Has certainly divided opinion on this thread

I would thoroughly recommend this Netflix documentary to anyone who has not made the time to watch it

An excellent watch

What utter rubbish, there are numerous multi millionaires that have lost everything due to bad business moved or whatever, to suggest they lose it due to being uneducated is just Ill informed nonsense

A company I know of has just went bust because they lost a few big contracts, company owner lost a lot of money because of it, he is most definitely not a "daftie"
    Reign in your outrage tonto, I’m referring to footballers who squander their cash through ill advised lifestyle choices. This is a football forum, not a critique of soneone you knows business decisions

Reign in your outrage tonto, I’m referring to footballers who squander their cash through ill advised lifestyle choices. This is a football forum, not a critique of soneone you knows business decisions
    Thanks I didnt know that, and many footballers also have business interests outside football so again not all are "dafties" who squander their money

Thanks I didnt know that, and many footballers also have business interests outside football so again not all are "dafties" who squander their money
    The clue is reading what you quote before posting?

Not really sure what your point is, but I agree, not all footballers are daft or squander their money, not sure anyone has said anything to the contrary about that though?

The clue is reading what you quote before posting?

Not really sure what your point is, but I agree, not all footballers are daft or squander their money, not sure anyone has said anything to the contrary about that though?
    I obviously picked you up wrong then when you implied you would have no sympathy for people losing money due to their lifestyle and that they were mostly uneducated
    Last edited by Allant1981; 13-01-2019 at 09:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SallyCinnamon View Post
    Easy for me to say as i don't have all the temptations 70k a week would bring but why would EPL footballers just not choose to live a moderately normal lifestyle? If my work offered me 70k a week I'd happily continues to live where i am, pay my mortgage off after a couple of weeks and maybe build a wee extension and garage for my motor. Set for life after a year. I really don't understand the lavish lifestyle these lads want to live. Crazy how some become bankrupt but like i said, easy for me to say.
    I remember when David James was decalred bankrupt he admitted he never wore a pair of trainers more than once. He literally had a new pair for every day; it's not unrealistic to think he was spending over £1000 a week on trainers.

Whilst £1000 is a drop in the ocean with the money he was likely earning it does leave you questioning what other spending habits he had and how widespread that wasteful attitude is.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I remember when David James was decalred bankrupt he admitted he never wore a pair of trainers more than once. He literally had a new pair for every day; it's not unrealistic to think he was spending over £1000 a week on trainers.

Whilst £1000 is a drop in the ocean with the money he was likely earning it does leave you questioning what other spending habits he had and how widespread that wasteful attitude is.
    Christ, I try for a pair a year lol

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

Exactly. The ammount of money some of them must squander on things like that. It's a short career that could end at any time through injury. You'd think they'd be better advised by their their clubs. Maybe they are and choose to ignore it who knows.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Apparently they're still filming and there will be a second season.

It really is a fantastic programme. Sunderland must have signed up thinking it was going to document their triumphant return but what we get is the perfect storm of footballing misery. Even though you know what’s going to happen, it’s compelling viewing. A fascinating look behind the scenes that also captures the complete lunacy of being a fan. One of my favourite scenes was the guy at home listening on the radio and his range of emotions...

Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    Apparently they're still filming and there will be a second season.
    Yup

Quote Originally Posted by Frogga View Post
    I don't have a problem with what Rodwell did. If a company offers you a certain amount of money then that's their fault, not your's. I thought Bain was out of order for criticising Rodwell the way he did - would he have left if he was in Rodwell's position? No chance.

If they felt he wasn't trying to make himself available to play then they should've sacked him.

I could never be alright with what rodwell was doing,highlighted all that iis wrong in modern football!!players and agents hold all the aces nowadays, and unfortunately its detrimental to the game.

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    Quote Originally Posted by Frogga View Post

Wonder if Bain offered to take a massive pay cut?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk