hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Coleman wasn’t perfect but McGeady really is a torn faced disaster. As an experienced player you’d think he’d have enough gumption to ask the manager about the position if he didn’t know what he was doing. Came across as a spoilt brat incapable of shouldering responsibility.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Clarence View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Coleman wasn’t perfect but McGeady really is a torn faced disaster. As an experienced player you’d think he’d have enough gumption to ask the manager about the position if he didn’t know what he was doing. Came across as a spoilt brat incapable of shouldering responsibility.
    McGeady had done very well for Grayson at Preston, so he was basically Grayson's man.

When his buddy was punted after only a few months McGeady didn't take it very well and was always unlikely to respond badly to Coleman.

McGeady was guff last season and Sunderland got very little in return for what they were paying him/ paying for him.

Seemingly he's giving them much more this season, he gets on ok with Jack Ross.

His is still quite a big wage though (one that Grayson was able to secure) that they wouldn't be too disappointed to see the back of.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I remember when David James was decalred bankrupt he admitted he never wore a pair of trainers more than once. He literally had a new pair for every day; it's not unrealistic to think he was spending over £1000 a week on trainers.

Whilst £1000 is a drop in the ocean with the money he was likely earning it does leave you questioning what other spending habits he had and how widespread that wasteful attitude is.
    That is brilliant and a little disturbing at the same time, absolute bubble of a lifestyle.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Callum_62 View Post
    Wonder if Bain offered to take a massive pay cut?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No doubt living off his EBT,
    Last edited by JimBHibees; 14-01-2019 at 03:25 PM.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Euan88
    If you're working for a company and they offer you a certain wage but then change their mind because of their own financial mismanagement then would you suddenly agree to cut your salary?

Football fans seem to think that players should treat their club in some kind of special regard because it's football. Jack Rodwell was employed by Sunderland, he wasn't a fan and didn't hold any other obligation while he was there. Why should he be bullied into leaving a contract that the club were reckless enough to give him in the first place? Fingers should have been pointed at management, not Rodwell.

As I say, if he wasn't working hard enough then sack him for breach of contract.

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Frogga View Post
    If you're working for a company and they offer you a certain wage but then change their mind because of their own financial mismanagement then would you suddenly agree to cut your salary?

Football fans seem to think that players should treat their club in some kind of special regard because it's football. Jack Rodwell was employed by Sunderland, he wasn't a fan and didn't hold any other obligation while he was there. Why should he be bullied into leaving a contract that the club were reckless enough to give him in the first place? Fingers should have been pointed at management, not Rodwell.

As I say, if he wasn't working hard enough then sack him for breach of contract.

It's not like a normal company though is it? I can't believe the people on here who think what Rodwell did was morally justified. Folk would be going radge if a Hibs player did similar. I couldn't look myself in the mirror if i'd done what he did. Shameless.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop Hibee View Post
    It's not like a normal company though is it? I can't believe the people on here who think what Rodwell did was morally justified. Folk would be going radge if a Hibs player did similar. I couldn't look myself in the mirror if i'd done what he did. Shameless.
    What? Seeing out his contract?

@hibs.net private member
    For him and other players it’s exactly the same as a normal company, his place of employment, and he is entitled to the pay that was agreed. Not many would accept a reduction from their workplace so I don’t see why footballers should

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar

But £70,000 a week though? I think it's the numbers that are making people, myself included, feel that Rodwell should be ashamed of himself.

First Team Breakthrough
    I felt more sorry for the chefs!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    But £70,000 a week though? I think it's the numbers that are making people, myself included, feel that Rodwell should be ashamed of himself.
    It's probably somewhere between the two but it's when you see club staff talking about redundancies if they get relegated and when these folk will take 2 or 3 years to earn what Rodwell was earning in a week that it paints a poor picture.

It was also mentioned that the £70k a week would have paid the wages of 4 free transfers. Whether Sunderland would have been able to attract players that would have helped them stay up is another matter.

I think most of us would like to think that we'd do the 'decent' thing if we were in Rodwell's position but we'll never be in a position to find out! I'm sure he'd make a good case for why he decided to stay at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Renton1875 View Post
    It's probably somewhere between the two but it's when you see club staff talking about redundancies if they get relegated and when these folk will take 2 or 3 years to earn what Rodwell was earning in a week that it paints a poor picture.

It was also mentioned that the £70k a week would have paid the wages of 4 free transfers. Whether Sunderland would have been able to attract players that would have helped them stay up is another matter.

I think most of us would like to think that we'd do the 'decent' thing if we were in Rodwell's position but we'll never be in a position to find out! I'm sure he'd make a good case for why he decided to stay at that point.
    It's also when you see what the various people brought to their roles. The staff to be axed were doing everything asked of them, and often the club was a huge part of their life.

Rodwell was at it, he was working his ticket, he was putting in the absolute bare minimum to ensure he was able to pick up his wage. The guy is a work-shy waster and a disgrace to the footballing profession.

Folk like him (as much as unscrupulous business owners) are the reason we need unions and shuffle billions of pounds the way of HR folk, employment lawyers etc and he's the enemy of honest workers everywhere.

If he had the balls to go out and do his best on a Saturday afternoon - even if it was pish - then he's worth what his contract says, and the situation is somebody else's fault. Instead he chose to turn up, go through the motions through the week and cry sick every Friday.

The man is a disgrace and should have been black-balled by the footballing community.

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    The guy came across as a fin parasite . No morals whatsoever.
    Surprised the fans never turned on him .
    Great watch tho .
    SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016
    GGTTH

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar

Eh! Was Rodwell not doing what Scotty Allan is doing at Celtic except on a grander scale?

Could it be that Rodwell had bonuses attached for making a set number of appearances etc?
    Truth is, none of us know the whole story

Quote Originally Posted by erin go bragh View Post
    The guy came across as a fin parasite . No morals whatsoever.
    Surprised the fans never turned on him .
    Great watch tho .
    The fans did turn on him big time.

He didn't make an appearance after September, 2 appearances all season iirc.

If they'd played him at any point during the second half of that season they might have lynched him.

The only mitigating circumstances I could find acceptable would be if he'd ended up with a genuine mental illness through it all. No matter how much you earn, mental illness is mental illness.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Renton1875 View Post

It makes it worse when you read about redundancies for club staff, most of whom are died in the wool Sunderland supporters.

@hibs.net private member Auckland Hibs's Avatar
    Just finished the series today and can’t wait for the next installment.

I didn’t think Bain came out too bad TBH, he seemed out his depth but he had a tough job with limited money. I thought Coleman came across pretty well, the fans, players and staff obviously liked him because they all seemed pretty cut up when he left.

Really felt for the fans and club staff at the end of the season.

While that is fair enough, I may have missed in the doco why he wasn't even playing. He is fit, correct?

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Just listening to the dialect makes me cringe and brings me out in a cold sweat. I'm only watching because I'm gonna see Mackems in pain and anguish.

Quote Originally Posted by Auckland Hibs View Post
    Just finished the series today and can’t wait for the next installment.

I didn’t think Bain came out too bad TBH, he seemed out his depth but he had a tough job with limited money. I thought Coleman came across pretty well, the fans, players and staff obviously liked him because they all seemed pretty cut up when he left.

Really felt for the fans and club staff at the end of the season.
    Coleman got a hard time in the last episode from one fan. I felt he had an impossible job but he came across well.