hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Game in doubt?

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I love winter fitba
    Me to.

I recall a game at ER in the winter of 1973 (Dec 22nd) against Morton...a 5-0 thrashing....The Tornadoes in their prime...The snow was falling and the pitch was a winter wonderland...O'Rourke slid the ball past the advancing keeper towards a gaping and undefended goal-mouth, the ball started at pace and slowed to a snails pace in the clinging snow, barely creeping over the line...It was one of those "will it, won't it, make it over the line?" moments that remains fresh in my memory - despite the passing of 45 years! A huge cheer went up all around the ground from the hard-core and hardy 5,000 Hibs support who had braved the freezing weather and made the trek to Easter Road.

Crowds fluctuated at ER that season....our next home game on New years day 1974 drew 35,000 against The Jambos .....and 48,000 against Celtic in February!!...Prior to the Morton game, 36,000 poured through the ER gates as Leeds United (then considered Britains greatest side) came calling in an unforgettable European night under the lights..........and this Hibby was there!!
    Last edited by Hi Heid Yin; 14-12-2018 at 09:46 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by davym7062 View Post
    They don’t close the shops if it’s slippy outside
    but how many shops expect 20,000 customers to be slipping and sliding their way to them for their loaf of bread, their paper and their milk?

Quote Originally Posted by Lennon's Lip View Post
    but how many shops expect 20,000 customers to be slipping and sliding their way to them for their loaf of bread, their paper and their milk?
    Tesco Corstorphine, maybe

Rain, hail ,ice or snaw,the toon will be heaving this weekend wae Christmas shoppers.

Need tae tell the grandbairns they cannae take their sledge up tae clerry hill this winter if its too icy

Me to.

I recall a game at ER in the winter of 1973 (Dec 22nd) against Morton...a 5-0 thrashing....The Tornadoes in their prime...The snow was falling and the pitch was a winter wonderland...O'Rourke slid the ball past the advancing keeper towards a gaping and undefended goal-mouth, the ball started at pace and slowed to a snails pace in the clinging snow, barely creeping over the line...It was one of those "will it, won't it, make it over the line?" moments that remains fresh in my memory - despite the passing of 45 years! A huge cheer went up all around the ground from the hard-core and hardy 5,000 Hibs support who had braved the freezing weather and made the trek to Easter Road.

Crowds fluctuated at ER that season....our next home game on New years day 1974 drew 35,000 against The Jambos .....and 48,000 against Celtic in February!!...Prior to the Morton game, 36,000 poured through the ER gates as Leeds United (then considered Britains greatest side) came calling in an unforgettable European night under the lights..........and this Hibby was there!!
    Great stuff. I like your old school reportage too. Leeds "came calling"! You don't get that any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick O'Rourke View Post
    Tesco Corstorphine, maybe

Rain, hail ,ice or snaw,the toon will be heaving this weekend wae Christmas shoppers.

Need tae tell the grandbairns they cannae take their sledge up tae clerry hill this winter if its too icy

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Great stuff. I like your old school reportage too. Leeds "came calling"! You don't get that any more.
    An old dog like me cannae change its ways!

An old dog like me cannae change its ways!
    Those were the days my friend
    We thought they'd never end

TTs feared no team.

Shame it didn't all last longer .

On winter pitches.
    Could you imagine telling Sloop or Shades that the pitch is too hard or bumpy.
    We canne huv ye hurting yersel,noo !

Happy Days!
    Stuff yer Elfin Safety !!
    Last edited by Mick O'Rourke; 14-12-2018 at 10:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick O'Rourke View Post
    Those were the days my friend
    We thought they'd never end
    TTs feared no team
    Shame it didn't all last longer

On winter pitches.
    Could you imagine telling Sloop or Shades that the pitch is too hard or bumpy.
    We canne huv ye hurting yersel,noo !

Happy Days!
    Stuff yer Elfin Safety !!
    In those days Sloop and Shades helped the ground staff clear pitch lines by getting down on their hands and knees and eating the snow and ice ...It was part of their pre match warm up.

In those days men were men and heided footballs that were heavier and more compact than cannon balls.

Turnbull himself skied his way through blizzards on match days, repelling polar bear attacks on the way, and expected nothing less from his Tornadoes.

In those days glaciers ran the length and breadth of Easter Road, but that didn't deter any Hibby...They simply thawed the damn thing with their alcohol-wreakin breath.

No namby-pamby Polis in those days calling games off because of a few wee flakes falling from the sky.

Tell youngsters all this and they simply won't believe you!
    Last edited by Hi Heid Yin; 14-12-2018 at 10:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    So get some Skis!

Bl**dy Snowflakes!

Quote Originally Posted by SouthMoroccoStu View Post
    Did they not call off a game at Easter Road about 2011/2012 because of the surrounding streets conditions?

The pitch was absolutely fine
    Possibly, but after Brexit we'll no longer have the niceties of games called off , we'll just have to shuffle along to the match with extra coats/scarfs/and probably underware passed down from our grandparents unless the americans can work out a save us deal at the last minute .might all be different next year.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    No chance of the game being off but if it’s as cold tomorrow as it is today then it could be a miserable couple of hours if not dressed accordingly.

Where’s DBS with his winter fashion advice?

I hope it's postponed. I'm coming down with a heavy cold.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    So much for this bad snow and ice...

Micro climate report.

Sunshine on Leith.

Miserable as sin in Gorgie.

@hibs.net private member staunchhibby's Avatar
    Dark day in Gorgie lol.

Not looking good now

@hibs.net private member
    Hoping it is postponed. I am at a friggin wedding tomorrow and will miss it.

Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    Hoping it is postponed. I am at a friggin wedding tomorrow and will miss it.

Going by the ticket sales, there's a lot of people at weddings tomorrow.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cairney11 View Post
    Not looking good now
    It’s fine in West Edinburgh just now, just wet
    Forecast for tomorrow is sunny and around 5 degrees

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    Going by the ticket sales, there's a lot of people at weddings tomorrow.

Better clarify it is not my own wedding in case my wife reads this 😁

Me to.

Leeds United. My dad (who is a Jambo) said he took me to Easter Road a few times before the Leeds game, but this is the first Hibs game I remember being at. I was seven.

History proves that this was a legendary Leeds team and I remember standing on the big terracing watching this game. Obviously cannot remember specific things about the game, but if I could be transported back to watch in full any Hibs game it would be this one. I was at the final in 2016 and can watch it anytime but the Leeds game is the one I would see again.

At this time the Tornadoes were competing and winning against some of the best in Europe.

May seem negative but this will never happen again.

Not looking good now
    Where about?

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Just cold and wet in Musselburgh.

I've been out and about most of the night. There was a wee bit sleet earlier and the wind is biting. However it's actually fairly mild (car temperarure was showing 3 degrees) and it's not forecast to dip below freezing overnight. It's expected to be about 4 degrees overnight and about the same at kick off.

The game will be on
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Don’t games get called off in Scotland not cause of the weather affecting the pitch but the condictions around the stadium? The Hibs and Rangers game last December was brutal it it still went ahead

Not looking good now
    Quote Originally Posted by Albanian Hibs View Post
    Where about?
    Maybe he's just looking in the mirror.

Joking,......

Quote Originally Posted by Hibees1973 View Post
    Leeds United. My dad (who is a Jambo) said he took me to Easter Road a few times before the Leeds game, but this is the first Hibs game I remember being at. I was seven.

History proves that this was a legendary Leeds team and I remember standing on the big terracing watching this game. Obviously cannot remember specific things about the game, but if I could be transported back to watch in full any Hibs game it would be this one. I was at the final in 2016 and can watch it anytime but the Leeds game is the one I would see again.

At this time the Tornadoes were competing and winning against some of the best in Europe.

May seem negative but this will never happen again.
    And there's every chance you might have seen a 15 year old boy with his dad staring right back at you from the old wooden stand.

The atmosphere under the flood lights was electric and the admiration for that leeds United side, containing so many greats like Bremner, was fierce - even though I was a staunch Hibby.

It was a night of high drama, with every conceivable emotion running through not just me but every Hibby. The Tornadoes stormed and peppered the Leeds goalmouth for what seemed like the bulk of the game and it seemed only a matter of time before we would hit the back of the net...but wee Billy Bremner orchestrated his side like the maestro he was and somehow, somehow, Leeds survived and took us to those dreaded penalties...The rest is history....
    The sheer draining emotional roller coaster left me feeling bewildered, exasperated, tearful and proud of our boys for what they showed a watching football world over 2 legs - That this Hibs side could hold its own against a world class Leeds United.
    The Tornadoes just happened to have ran parralel with the greatest Scottish team in history - Jock Stein's Celtic...and but for the Parkhead club, I'm absolutely convinced that Hibs would have been League champions and Scottish Cup winners..

Last edited by Hi Heid Yin; 15-12-2018 at 09:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Just cold and wet in Musselburgh.
    Just wait til winter...

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Not looking good now
    Can't see there being a problem.

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Been much worser conditions than this. It’s just windy, wet and the winter cold kicking in which is expected during this time of the year.

The game will go ahead and rightly so.