hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Pretty sure I remember playing the huns at ER on Xmas day I. The 70’s. We lost 0-1 with a late goal I think.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HibbyDave View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pretty sure I remember playing the huns at ER on Xmas day I. The 70’s. We lost 0-1 with a late goal I think.
    We pummelled them for ninety minutes Colin Stein last minute don’t think he knew a lot about it too late to stage a fight back

Christmas sucks the big one - much rather be watching the hibees - bah humbug.

First Team Breakthrough bournehibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanforlife View Post
    spot on m8.I was with a well Kent jambo,s brother that day who unfortunately got nicked and spent the xmas period in the high street cells,poor guy!!!!😁.on a side note I'm sure st.johnstone humped us 2 5 on a xmas day game at Easter Road mid/late 60,s.
    That was Christmas Eve 1966. Great day for me - got my jotters at work, split with burd, and froze my nuts off watching that ! IIRC there was also an Alex. Ferguson playing for Saints. may be wrong though.
    bh

Quote Originally Posted by bournehibby View Post
    That was Christmas Eve 1966. Great day for me - got my jotters at work, split with burd, and froze my nuts off watching that ! IIRC there was also an Alex. Ferguson playing for Saints. may be wrong though.
    bh
    Naw Fergie had moved oan to Dunfermline by then St Johnstone’s goals Whitelaw x 3 Alex Macdonald and Willie Coburn
    HIBS ORourke and Stevenson

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    In modern times, it’s less about would the women folk put up with it, but more would a famiy man seriously think disappearing from their wife and kids on Christmas Day to go to the football was a reasonable thing to do?
    Christmas has evolved into something now that bears no resemblance to the ones of the past where it was still a working day and football still took place when it fell in a Saturday. Mind you, I’ll be in Galway with in-laws from my wife’s family of 10, so if asked the same question again about 3pm on Christmas Day my answer may well be very different..
    I will be in wexford with mine, hope yours is better than I expect 😂😂😂

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eastterrace View Post
    Remember the game well we pummelled them for 90mins and McCoy saved them and then they scored last minute goal think it was Colin stein.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Amongst the first games I attended. Got taken by my old man and my uncle and then back to the hoose for a big family dinner. The goal came off Steins backside.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    I remember when Hibs played Man Utd. in a hastily arranged friendly in 1981 (Willie Jamieson came off the bench to score in a 1-1 draw). It was played on boxing day and being only 14 at the time I was surprised that I was allowed/able to go as we always had a second Christmas dinner that day (with different family members).

It was a Saturday but I can't remember if there were other matches scheduled. Even if there was they weren't played due to the weather and the highlights of the match were shown on TV - very unusual for a friendly.
    I remember that game well.

Coincidentally, I was telling someone about it the other day. My mates and me went into Tipplers that night ( or it might have been the next day) and we saw Willie Jamieson playing the fruit machine.

"Well done against Man United, Willie".

"Goal a game'll do me boys".
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by andy1875 View Post
    I remember we played Falkirk away on Hogmanay 2/3 years ago (Kris Commons freekick winner)

I remember thinking that felt a little odd and I don’t recall playing on that day before. I may be wrong...
    I had a Christmas tree in the back of my car that day. All the way to Falkirk then home. Long but true story.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    I remember that game well.

Coincidentally, I was telling someone about it the other day. My mates and me went into Tipplers that night ( or it might have been the next day) and we saw Willie Jamieson playing the fruit machine.

"Well done against Man United, Willie".

"Goal a game'll do me boys".
    Bread Street?

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    Bread Street?
    Yep. Before it became a strip joint. It was owned by John Lambie, I think.

Edit: It was John Fraser.
    Last edited by Hibbyradge; 15-12-2018 at 02:40 PM.

Yep. Before it became a strip joint. It was owned by John Lambie, I think.

Edit: It was John Fraser.
    Very same. Handy for Mr Sweeney?

Very same. Handy for Mr Sweeney?
    Very. Weren't you at a party upstairs with us once?
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

First Team Breakthrough bournehibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Naw Fergie had moved oan to Dunfermline by then St Johnstone’s goals Whitelaw x 3 Alex Macdonald and Willie Coburn
    HIBS ORourke and Stevenson
    Ah yes, thanks for that Billy hopefully manage to forget the other sh@te over the next 50 years
    bh

Very. Weren't you at a party upstairs with us once?
    I was. Impressionable lad, easily led.

Blog Entries
    I saw us win 3 1 at Aberdeen on Xmas day 1965. I remember Big Bad John McNamee scoring with a towering header & for some reason getting home about 7am on Boxing Day!

Christmas Day arrived early for me this year.

Last night in fact. GIRUY Jambos!!!

Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    i saw us win 3 1 at aberdeen on xmas day 1965. I remember big bad john mcnamee scoring with a towering header & for some reason getting home about 7am on boxing day!
    They shall not pass!

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    It was the norm for there to be a Boxing Day game. I remembers Hibs v Rangers on Boxing Day when Tortolano scored the equaliser in a 1-1 draw. Boy dressed in a Santa suit which was unusual back then got lifted from the Hun end. A laddie in front of us in the East Terrace says “ look dad they’re arresting Santa.” Without missing a beat dad replied “ That’s not the real Santa son. Santa’s not a Protestant.” Ah the eighties!!!
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop Hibee View Post
    It was the norm for there to be a Boxing Day game. I remembers Hibs v Rangers on Boxing Day when Tortolano scored the equaliser in a 1-1 draw. Boy dressed in a Santa suit which was unusual back then got lifted from the Hun end. A laddie in front of us in the East Terrace says “ look dad they’re arresting Santa.” Without missing a beat dad replied “ That’s not the real Santa son. Santa’s not a Protestant.” Ah the eighties!!!
    That wasn't boxing day, it was on 21/12/85.

First Team Breakthrough Cheshire Hibby's Avatar
    Amongst the first games I attended. Got taken by my old man and my uncle and then back to the hoose for a big family dinner. The goal came off Steins backside.
    Steins goal did indeed come off his backside.

Christmas day last fell on a saturday in 2010. It was skipped in 2016 due to the leap year and will next occur in 2021.

We lost 2-1 at home to Aberdeen in 2010 on sunday the 26th. I remember there was a smaller than average Aberdeen support at the game due to the trains not running.

Xmas day also fell on a saturday in 2004, 1999 and 1993. We played on the bank holiday monday 27th on these occasions, winning 4-1 at tannadice in 04, drawing 2-2 with killie in 99 and beating partick thistle 5-1 in 93.

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyHibees View Post
    Christmas day last fell on a saturday in 2010. It was skipped in 2016 due to the leap year and will next occur in 2021.

We lost 2-1 at home to Aberdeen in 2010 on sunday the 26th. I remember there was a smaller than average Aberdeen support at the game due to the trains not running.

Xmas day also fell on a saturday in 2004, 1999 and 1993. We played on the bank holiday monday 27th on these occasions, winning 4-1 at tannadice in 04, drawing 2-2 with killie in 99 and beating partick thistle 5-1 in 93.
    Remember travelling up to Tanadiche the day after Boxing Day 2004 a big HIBS support and that was definitely a case of getting out of the house to get rid of the cobwebs as me and my oldest laddie made our sharp exit and it was not to be a wasted journey treated to the delights and amazing skills of Tony Mowbrays Teenage Kicks as we ran out easy 4-1 winners against a hopeless Arabs side the downside was it was the day after the Boxing Day Tsunami
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 15-12-2018 at 10:02 PM.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Christmas......GTF.

WHAT IF CHRISTMAS DAY FELL ON A SATURDAY?

It was very much an old English tradition playing football on Christmas Day but just say Christmas Day fell on a Saturday would Hibernian Football Club play the fixture or would the SPFL leave it up to the individual clubs to decide?

Would the fact that the match was to be played on Christmas Day lead to an increased or a decreased attendance?

I remember growing up in the sixties and every Christmas Day my father having to go out to work as Christmas Day was not a holiday in Scotland

The world of course has changed

In 1965 HIBS played an away fixture at Aberdeen on Christmas Day and won 3-1 Pat Stanton said he was amazed at the number of Hibees in the 9500 crowd given the poor transport options back then

Back in 1971 HIBS played their last game on Christmas Day losing to Rangers 0-1 in front of a 25000 crowd at Easter Road.

To many HIBS fans it would have been an opportunity to get out of the house and blow away the cobwebs an escape from Christmas TV but would the women folk put up with it nowadays?

You also have the added problem of poor transport Sunday service and the often inclement weather.

Growing up in Scotland it was tradition in our family on New Years Day that the men folk went to the fitba and then back to my grans in Dalry for Steak Pie.

I still remember with great fondness rushing back to her house after the 7-0 game and the whole family huddled around the black and white telly waiting on the highlights coming on at 7.00 pm.

It was the first of January 1973 the day the UK joined the European Union.

So what about it?

Would you attend a match on Christmas Day or would you rather keep that as a day to be spent with friends and family?

I exclude this December from the debate as the December schedule is an absolute joke

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/footb...-day-1-3639773
    I'd have no problem going to a home xmas day match. the family would object though as that day has been so Englasised over the years. It is a great family day, and I enjoy it but is different in so many ways nowadays. our New Year day has also changed so much. not so many chappin' the doors at a minute after midnight, lots more lights off before midnight. I like New Year when the bells come in. canny beat a decent greetin' match thinking of auld family, friends and folk in Canada etc.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by bournehibby View Post
    bh
    My first Hibs game. Interesting to note that Xmas day was a working day in Scotland then. Only holidays here were 1st & 2nd of Jan.

WHAT IF CHRISTMAS DAY FELL ON A SATURDAY?

It was very much an old English tradition playing football on Christmas Day but just say Christmas Day fell on a Saturday would Hibernian Football Club play the fixture or would the SPFL leave it up to the individual clubs to decide?

Would the fact that the match was to be played on Christmas Day lead to an increased or a decreased attendance?

I remember growing up in the sixties and every Christmas Day my father having to go out to work as Christmas Day was not a holiday in Scotland

The world of course has changed

In 1965 HIBS played an away fixture at Aberdeen on Christmas Day and won 3-1 Pat Stanton said he was amazed at the number of Hibees in the 9500 crowd given the poor transport options back then

Back in 1971 HIBS played their last game on Christmas Day losing to Rangers 0-1 in front of a 25000 crowd at Easter Road.

To many HIBS fans it would have been an opportunity to get out of the house and blow away the cobwebs an escape from Christmas TV but would the women folk put up with it nowadays?

You also have the added problem of poor transport Sunday service and the often inclement weather.

Growing up in Scotland it was tradition in our family on New Years Day that the men folk went to the fitba and then back to my grans in Dalry for Steak Pie.

I still remember with great fondness rushing back to her house after the 7-0 game and the whole family huddled around the black and white telly waiting on the highlights coming on at 7.00 pm.

It was the first of January 1973 the day the UK joined the European Union.

So what about it?

Would you attend a match on Christmas Day or would you rather keep that as a day to be spent with friends and family?

I exclude this December from the debate as the December schedule is an absolute joke

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/footb...-day-1-3639773

I went to the 1971 game and noway I would have missed it.

A game on Christmas Day might be fun for us as fans but I doubt that those expected to work at Easter Road that day would share that view.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.