hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar

What if christmas day fell on a saturday?

WHAT IF CHRISTMAS DAY FELL ON A SATURDAY?

It was very much an old English tradition playing football on Christmas Day but just say Christmas Day fell on a Saturday would Hibernian Football Club play the fixture or would the SPFL leave it up to the individual clubs to decide?

Would the fact that the match was to be played on Christmas Day lead to an increased or a decreased attendance?

I remember growing up in the sixties and every Christmas Day my father having to go out to work as Christmas Day was not a holiday in Scotland

The world of course has changed

In 1965 HIBS played an away fixture at Aberdeen on Christmas Day and won 3-1 Pat Stanton said he was amazed at the number of Hibees in the 9500 crowd given the poor transport options back then

Back in 1971 HIBS played their last game on Christmas Day losing to Rangers 0-1 in front of a 25000 crowd at Easter Road.

To many HIBS fans it would have been an opportunity to get out of the house and blow away the cobwebs an escape from Christmas TV but would the women folk put up with it nowadays?

You also have the added problem of poor transport Sunday service and the often inclement weather.

Growing up in Scotland it was tradition in our family on New Years Day that the men folk went to the fitba and then back to my grans in Dalry for Steak Pie.

I still remember with great fondness rushing back to her house after the 7-0 game and the whole family huddled around the black and white telly waiting on the highlights coming on at 7.00 pm.

It was the first of January 1973 the day the UK joined the European Union.

So what about it?

Would you attend a match on Christmas Day or would you rather keep that as a day to be spent with friends and family?

I exclude this December from the debate as the December schedule is an absolute joke

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/footb...-day-1-3639773
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 14-12-2018 at 11:23 AM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    WHAT IF CHRISTMAS DAY FELL ON A SATURDAY?

It was very much an old English tradition playing football on Christmas Day but just say Christmas Day fell on a Saturday would Hibernian Football Club play the fixture or would the SPFL leave it up to the individual clubs to decide?

Would the fact that the match was to be played on Christmas Day lead to an increased or a decreased attendance?

I remember growing up in the sixties and every Christmas Day my father having to go out to work as Christmas Day was not a holiday in Scotland

The world of course has changed

In 1965 HIBS played an away fixture at Aberdeen on Christmas Day and won 3-1 Pat Stanton said he was amazed at the number of Hibees in the 9500 crowd given the poor transport options back then

Back in 1971 HIBS played their last game on Christmas Day losing to Rangers 0-1 in front of a 25000 crowd at Easter Road.

To many HIBS fans it would have been an opportunity to get out of the house and blow away the cobwebs an escape from Christmas TV but would the women folk put up with it nowadays?

You also have the added problem of poor transport Sunday service and the often inclement weather.

Growing up in Scotland it was tradition in our family on New Years Day that the men folk went to the fitba and then back to my grans in Dalry for Steak Pie.

I still remember with great fondness rushing back to her house after the 7-0 game and the whole family huddled around the black and white telly waiting on the highlights coming on at 7.00 pm.

It was the first of January 1973 the day the UK joined the European Union.

So what about it?

Would you attend a match on Christmas Day or would you rather keep that as a day to be spent with friends and family?

I exclude this December from the debate as the December schedule is an absolute joke
    If Hibs had a game on Christmas Day there’s no way I’d be there. I’d suspect that most folk would be the same.

I can’t see it ever being something we return to!

Mind we had a game on Christmas Eve a couple of seasons back, even that felt a bit weird.

I was also thinking about this a few days ago and asking myself "when was the last time we played on Christmas Day". So thanks for answering that question.

I also remember my Dad saying that Christmas Day was a working day, unless it landed on the Sabbath, even into the 70s.

I suppose in the past that maybe more football fans stayed locally and didn't need to rely on public transport. There was probably nothing on TV, for those lucky enough to have a TV. I recall my Dad saying that they didn't have electricity until the mid to late sixties, so getting out to watch a game would have been a good thing to do with your mates. In my early years, Christmas Day was largely spent listening to my parents and aunts/uncles talking about the hot topics of the day. I'm sure for the working man, an escape to watch the football would have been a good distraction.

Today, I'm not sure as many would go to watch football on Christmas Day. For me, I would much rather a game on Boxing Day.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    My dad and grandad would take me to the game, while my mother was at home cooking the dinner.

Proper football in them days.

@hibs.net private member
    Would the women folk put up with it these days?

Seriously?

@hibs.net private member andy1875's Avatar
    I remember we played Falkirk away on Hogmanay 2/3 years ago (Kris Commons freekick winner)

I remember thinking that felt a little odd and I don’t recall playing on that day before. I may be wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. S View Post

Seriously?
    Apologies Mrs S
    I know not very PC
    I am stuck in the seventies
    Just as well my Mrs won’t read this as she is a Jambo
    Apologies once again I did think it was so wrong when I was typing it but was half asleep
    No excuse I know 😁

@hibs.net private member
    Apologies Mrs S
    I know not very PC
    I am stuck in the seventies
    Just as well my Mrs won’t read this as she is a Jambo
    Apologies once again I did think it was so wrong when I was typing it but was half asleep
    No excuse I know 😁
    Its okay. I was just a bit peeved i wasnt getting to the game too

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    I remember when Hibs played Man Utd. in a hastily arranged friendly in 1981 (Willie Jamieson came off the bench to score in a 1-1 draw). It was played on boxing day and being only 14 at the time I was surprised that I was allowed/able to go as we always had a second Christmas dinner that day (with different family members).

It was a Saturday but I can't remember if there were other matches scheduled. Even if there was they weren't played due to the weather and the highlights of the match were shown on TV - very unusual for a friendly.
    Last edited by Peevemor; 14-12-2018 at 07:52 AM.

@hibs.net private member Newry Hibs's Avatar
    Its okay. I was just a bit peeved i wasnt getting to the game too
    Well you wouldn't - not with all that washing up to do!

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    I remember when Hibs played Man Utd. in a hastily arranged friendly in 1981 (Willie Jamieson came of the bench to score in a 1-1 draw). It was played on boxing day and being only 14 at the time I was surprised that I was allowed/able to go as we always had a second Christmas dinner that day (with different family members).

It was a Saturday but I can't remember if there were other matches scheduled. Even if there was they weren't played due to the weather and the highlights of the match were shown on TV - very unusual for a friendly.
    Remember that, it was about the only game played in Britain that day.

Undersoil heating meant we could play it, Scotsport showed the game the next day IIRC.

@hibs.net private member Newry Hibs's Avatar
    Conversely - New Years Day wasn't a holiday in England back then. My Dad would celebrate New Years in England and somehow struggle into work on the first - only to be sent home again out of pity!

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post

Undersoil heating meant we could play it, Scotsport showed the game the next day IIRC.
    Yes, I remember now. Would there have been a full card scheduled for the 27th which was a Sunday?

I've not been to many games this season but would make a special effort for Christmas Day. Any excuse to get out the house.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Newry Hibs View Post
    Well you wouldn't - not with all that washing up to do!
    Evidently

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar

Seriously?
    In modern times, it’s less about would the women folk put up with it, but more would a famiy man seriously think disappearing from their wife and kids on Christmas Day to go to the football was a reasonable thing to do?
    Christmas has evolved into something now that bears no resemblance to the ones of the past where it was still a working day and football still took place when it fell in a Saturday. Mind you, I’ll be in Galway with in-laws from my wife’s family of 10, so if asked the same question again about 3pm on Christmas Day my answer may well be very different..

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    In modern times, it’s less about would the women folk put up with it, but more would a famiy man seriously think disappearing from their wife and kids on Christmas Day to go to the football was a reasonable thing to do?
    Christmas has evolved into something now that bears no resemblance to the ones of the past where it was still a working day and football still took place when it fell in a Saturday. Mind you, I’ll be in Galway with in-laws from my wife’s family of 10, so if asked the same question again about 3pm on Christmas Day my answer may well be very different..
    I did think about the men too but didnt want to turn it into a huge debate. Seems to be going that way anyway.

Theres as many single dads, dads who will do the cooking or just dads who wouldnt dream of not being with their families on xmas day as there as woman these days thankfully. Just as theres many women who would want to be included in the possibility of going to a game. Personally i wouldnt be there, not because id be too busy doing the dishes but because its probably the only day of the year when the whole family commit to being together and just having a laugh without anywhere we need to rush to or anything else that needs done. Its just about us.

Prediction League Supremo - 05/06 MB62's Avatar
    I did think about the men too but didnt want to turn it into a huge debate. Seems to be going that way anyway.

There's as many single dads, dads who will do the cooking or just dads who wouldn't dream of not being with their families on xmas day as there as woman these days thankfully. Just as there's many women who would want to be included in the possibility of going to a game. Personally i wouldn't be there, not because id be too busy doing the dishes but because its probably the only day of the year when the whole family commit to being together and just having a laugh without anywhere we need to rush to or anything else that needs done. Its just about us.
    And of course, there's a considerable percentage of females who would be getting the Hibs scarf and tops out and heading up to Easter Road for the game too. How many kids will receive Hibs tops etc for presents on Christmas day and would be absolutely delighted to be wearing their new attire to a game that day?

Maybe one day, by law of averages, sooner or later, Christmas day is going to fall on a Saturday, Shirley!

Seriously?
    Mrs S could you please do me a small favour and tidy up my header title and lose the wthe after the question mark.

I don’t know what happened perhaps a slip of the finger

Thanking you in anticipation

There is a bit of confusion on this thread about Christmas holidays in Scotland.
    Christmas day has been a public holiday since the 1950's.
    Boxing day became a holiday much later.
    That may be what folk are remembering.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by MB62 View Post
    And of course, there's a considerable percentage of females who would be getting the Hibs scarf and tops out and heading up to Easter Road for the game too. How many kids will receive Hibs tops etc for presents on Christmas day and would be absolutely delighted to be wearing their new attire to a game that day?

Maybe one day, by law of averages, sooner or later, Christmas day is going to fall on a Saturday, Shirley!

I did say in my post that there were plenty of women who would go. I actually hate these male/female debates if im honest. Im gonna go gender neutral

Apologies for turning it into something it wasnt meant to be
    Last edited by Jay; 14-12-2018 at 10:32 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    Mrs S could you please do me a small favour and tidy up my header title and lose the wthe after the question mark.

I don’t know what happened perhaps a slip of the finger

Thanking you in anticipation
    Managed to fit it in inbetween scrubbing the floors and doing the dishes

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mim View Post
    There is a bit of confusion on this thread about Christmas holidays in Scotland.
    When I was an infant my dad was a joiner.

I can clearly remember opening my presents before 7 then my dad would go to his work and finish at around noon.

So half day in early sixties.

Testimonial Due green with envy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post

I remember the old terracing in parts covered in snow/ice and the path between upper & lower terracing being like an ice rink.

I ended up in the cowshed during that game and remember getting crushed when Jaimeson scored after tripping over between the seats.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mim View Post
    1958 it became a public holiday I’m sure. Heard it on the forth one quiz yesterday

@hibs.net private member Jamesie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gloucester Hibs View Post
    Mind we had a game on Christmas Eve a couple of seasons back, even that felt a bit weird.
    IIRC kickoff was brought forward to 13:00 to let everyone get home earlier.

@hibs.net private member eastterrace's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesie View Post
    IIRC kickoff was brought forward to 13:00 to let everyone get home earlier.
    Remember the game well we pummelled them for 90mins and McCoy saved them and then they scored last minute goal think it was Colin stein.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/footb...-day-1-3639773

Interesting link on the very same subject if it works

Managed to fit it in inbetween scrubbing the floors and doing the dishes