hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomtownHibeys View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How does it not make sense? Your post stated that playing 2 right sided centre halves is ludicrous. Nothing to do with if Hanlon was fit or not.

There’s a difference between me thinking Hanlon and Efe would be a better pairing in these games and you claiming that 2 right sided defenders is ludicrous when we have proved this season that it’s nowhere near being that
    Have you not seen the title of the topic. First choice pairing? We have also proved this season they have been ripped apart at times hence the reason Hanlon got rushed back.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Porteous is the sort of player I hoped Jordan Forster was going to turn out to be. Tenacious, big tackling, strong in the air, vocal and has a goal threat at the other end from set pieces.

He's a fantastic player.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat Hound View Post
    Think these two have by far been our best ch pairing of late so that, even when fit, Paul Hanlon doesn't get a game. Porteous, although still prone to a bit slack distribution, has been immense and possibly our best player through our recent bad run. Speaks volumes for his strength of character.

Think we are better suited to a back 4 with the other personnel we have too, although it'll be even stronger with SDG & Lewis back at full back.

Porteous is going to be something special and Efe is quality but Hanlon can't be ignored because of two bad games back from injury but you make a fair point.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    Have you not seen the title of the topic. First choice pairing? We have also proved this season they have been ripped apart at times hence the reason Hanlon got rushed back.
    I was responding to your suggestion that it’s ludicrous when plenty teams do it. The team at the top of the EPL who have only lost 6 goals all season don’t seem to find it ludicrous

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Efe has absolutely cemented himself as the first name on the team sheet at centre half imo. Porteous has done alright but I’d still have Hanlon in ahead of him in a 4.
    Hanlon a disaster at the moment. Watch that Killie game highlights again.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    It will be interesting to see the lineup for next Sunday’s game versus Celtic defo think experience needed or we are in danger of getting ripped apart?
    Just thinking out loud likes!

@hibs.net private member allmodcons's Avatar
    They have done well one game. They got torn apart in Aberdeen. It is ludicrous to suggest they should be the preferential pairing in a back four. Come on.
    Just not true.

Granted, Porteous was at fault for the goal scored by GMS but, that apart, Aberdeen created very little on the night.

@hibs.net private member allmodcons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    Hanlon is a big favourite of mine but, you're right, he was very poor versus Killie and for that matter Dundee.

Looks to me like he came back too early from injury which, if I'm being honest, was pretty silly and selfish of him.

I would have to agree. Has to be Porto and Efe in a back 4 with Paul coming in on the left side if Lenny goes for a 352. Unfortunately McGregor has been caught by the sands of time.

Yes. Against better sides we have struggled against them with nobody left footed.
    That wasn't a reason we struggled. I'll list 15 top centre back pairings that are both right footed. If that was Hibs biggest problem we'd be ****ing brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by allmodcons View Post
    Hanlon is a big favourite of mine but, you're right, he was very poor versus Killie and for that matter Dundee.

Looks to me like he came back too early from injury which, if I'm being honest, was pretty silly and selfish of him.
    Harsh. Yes he was awful against Dundee and Killie but he told the manager he wasn't ready to play but was rushed back regardless. The same has happened to a few others too.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    I won’t debate that. He was pretty poor in the last couple of games he’s played. Generally speaking though, a fully fit Efe and a fully fit Hanlon would be my first choice CB pairing.

Porteous is class far better than McKenna of Aberdeen imo could play 3 at back Efe ,Porteous and Hanlon

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Ambrose & Porteous pick themselves as centre back pairings

Anyone that argues need there heid examined

I won’t debate that. He was pretty poor in the last couple of games he’s played. Generally speaking though, a fully fit Efe and a fully fit Hanlon would be my first choice CB pairing.
    Agreed. Hanlon is as good a defender and far better on the ball than Ryan.

Left by mutual consent!
    5 3 2 Sunday solves it.

Left by mutual consent!
    And as I said, it’s ludicrous to say otherwise. It’s not negative it’s fact.

Who would go into a Scottish Cup final playing 4 at the back without Paul Hanlon? Mental.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    And as I said, it’s ludicrous to say otherwise. It’s not negative it’s fact.

Who would go into a Scottish Cup final playing 4 at the back without Paul Hanlon? Mental.
    Pretty much the way I looked at it. If youre picking a team to play a one off huge game, Efe would be right CB every time. Then it’s either Hanlon, McGregor or Porteous for left CB and Hanlon takes that every time imo.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    No danger. Having 2 right sided centre halves is ludicrous.

Apart from all the other teams that have successfully deployed two right footed centre backs, you are spot on.

Left by mutual consent!
    Pretty much the way I looked at it. If youre picking a team to play a one off huge game, Efe would be right CB every time. Then it’s either Hanlon, McGregor or Porteous for left CB and Hanlon takes that every time imo.
    Yep. And I think it will be the case if PH is fit come Sunday although I’m thinking a back 3.

Efe will leave in January imo