hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Eric Stevenson was due to play for Ayr that day but decided to go to Hampden. Jock Stein spotted him
    And ‘grassed’ him to Ally McLeod who fined him
    A weeks wages. Eric used to say it was worth it.

Greatest team I ever saw live

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    1972/73 Jimmy O’Rourke scored six hatricks
    After the second goal he ran behind the goal to celebrate looking for his brothers in the stand
    He snuck away from the Official Reception at the NB to show his medal to family members at their local pub
    Pat Stanton said that when the bus left Easter Road enroute for Hampden a wee laddie tossed a half brick through a windae of the bus at Bothwell Street and by the time they got through to Glasgow they were definitely the wide awake club.

@hibs.net private member Biggie's Avatar
    My late dad took me through, didn't need to as he wasn't really a footie fan, but thanks pops. A lifelong memory.
    "I don't have any regrets about not moving during my playing career. I was born a Hibee, my dad was a Hibee, I will stay a Hibee and I'll die a Hibee." -Lawrie Reilly

Quite possibly the best ever performance by Pat Stanton in a Hibs shirt. He was immense that day
    This is how it feels

I was n the roof above The Harp , grandad stayed at 302 Leith Walk and got a cup liftcand wave from Pat. I’d have been 6.

Grandad a jambo but liked both Edin teams

I was at the 6-1 defeat in the Scottish Cup Final. I remember how bad it felt.

By the time of the League Cup Final, I was in my 5th year at school and working in the local supermarket on a Saturday.

On that day, I remember some of the permanent ladies all bunched around a radio at the back of the shop as we sought an update on what was happening. I remember looking for an excuse to go out the back to gather round the radio and all the comments of 'come on Hibs', 'hold on, Hibs' whilst constantly looking over our shoulders for the manager.

I remember the last couple of minutes as we all kept hoping Hibs would hold on (and the Manager wouldn't catch us out 'skiving'). And then the joy when the final whistle went.

Happy days.

By the time of the League Cup Final, I was in my 5th year at school and working in the local supermarket on a Saturday.

On that day, I remember some of the permanent ladies all bunched around a radio at the back of the shop as we sought an update on what was happening. I remember looking for an excuse to go out the back to gather round the radio and all the comments of 'come on Hibs', 'hold on, Hibs' whilst constantly looking over our shoulders for the manager.

I remember the last couple of minutes as we all kept hoping Hibs would hold on (and the Manager wouldn't catch us out 'skiving'). And then the joy when the final whistle went.

Happy days.

THE CUP PRESENTATION

WHAT NO PITCH INVASION?

HOW VERY 1972!

https://youtu.be/7x5U3x-VRMk

@hibs.net private member Argylehibby's Avatar
    My Celtic supporting uncle got 3 main stand tickets through his work and invited me along with him and my cousin. Stayed at their house in Tranent the night before and he drove through. Game was fantastic and despite most of the people around me being Celtic supporters I celebrated both goals (loudly).

When we got back and he took me home his opening line to my dad was along the lines of that I was lucky I didn't get chucked out the car before we left Glasgow. I had been going on and on about Pat Stanton's performance and of course my favourite player, wee Jimmy's goal.

My first trip to Hampden and my 2nd favourite game there!

Quote Originally Posted by PapillonVert View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Happy days.
    I apologise to Hibs.net users. For some reason every time I post, it comes up twice. Even when I try to delete posts, it still does not work. I do apologise.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    I apologise to Hibs.net users. For some reason every time I post, it comes up twice. Even when I try to delete posts, it still does not work. I do apologise.
    It was worth reading twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    It was worth reading twice.
    Bless you, Holy Father.

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    1972/73 Jimmy O’Rourke scored six hatricks
    After the second goal he ran behind the goal to celebrate looking for his brothers in the stand
    He snuck away from the Official Reception at the NB to show his medal to family members at their local pub
    Pat Stanton said that when the bus left Easter Road enroute for Hampden a wee laddie tossed a half brick through a windae of the bus at Bothwell Street and by the time they got through to Glasgow they were definitely the wide awake club.

He certainly did, Billy.
    He jumped in a taxi.
    The pub in question some may know as The Fiddlers Arms.
    Fit o' the West Port, corner of the 'Market.
    Back then it was called "O'Rourke's"
    (No relation, but family friends who lived in D/Mains)
    Also known The St Giles Bar.
    St Giles Branch members used it frequently.
    Their bus left from the Market for away games.

Jimmy actually gave his medal to our "Da", Jimmy Devlin ,our grandfather, who was a great influence and encouragement on Jimmy's development as a laddie.

I think Jimmy would have loved to have taken the rest of the team doon tae O'Rourkes that night

Even Eddie T might have enjoyed it as well !!

GGTTH

Bless you, Holy Father.
    Ah ha!

Only came up the once that time.

Must have been the Divine Intervention
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 09-12-2018 at 09:34 PM.

Ah ha!

Only came up the once that time.

Must have been the Devine Intervention
    I’m on my 6th bottle of Sam Smiths organic lager and I can assure you it came up twice my son.

I’m on my 6th bottle of Sam Smiths organic lager and I can assure you it came up twice my son.
    His bless you holy father post only came up the once so I assumed his computer glitch had now sorted itself
    I must confess I had the same problem when I first joined dotnet

His bless you holy father post only came up the once so I assumed his computer glitch had now sorted itself
    I must confess I had the same problem when I first joined dotnet
    Wooosh! ‘hic!

Wooosh! ‘hic!
    Thank you Father!

Well, we all have our stories from that final, I suppose. I was 18 years old. I had been married, to my lovely wife at that tender age, and was a bit o' a nutter to be honest. the wife and I are still together and she sometimes wonders how it is so! . However, at the game I do remember the Glesga Polis wading in and making some random arrests just before half time in the Hibs end near the Celtic fans .Being the way I was at the time, I decided it was "rather unfair" so decided to kick a Sargent right up the arse!. I was promptly arrested as I did not see his Constable behind me!. I was then thrown into a waggon full o' Celtic fans and a fat speccy barsteward said to me...…..you wan o' they hibby cants? am gonnae get you when we get tae the big hoose! my response was, AYE Ya Ya Fat Weegie, JIST DAE IT NOW!!!!!.He shat hisel and his buddies laughed their c/ocks off. It ended off, that 3 of us from the Porty bus ended up arrested, and we all spent the weekend in Craigie Street Polis station.Fat Boab, fi Garthamlock soon changed his tune when we ganged up on him and his daft mates btw. we then went to the Glasgow Sherriff court and my best mate said....plead guilty, I just got a £50 fine. the other 2 of us did that, and were both remanded for a total of 18 days in a big hoose in Riddrie. I actually stayed in Niddrie, and would rather have stayed there than in Barlinnie Jail .Certainly a learning curve in my life, and I do remember watching a Film there on the 27th of December in the chapel. Steptoe and son, what a classic.! Added to that, I had the prospect of looking forward to the birth of my first child(my young wife was happy of me being in Glasgow as you can imagine) I was eventually released from penal certitude with a nominal fine, and have been a a loyal and upstanding citizen since then. !! the trouble is, my wife told me that if I had even a thought of going to the Derby game in January (0-7) she would walk oot the door! . My first born son warrived on 11/01/73. a bouncing baby hibbie . such is life

not proud of anything I have posted above , only facts. the things ye do when younger .now 65 years old,but cant forget things like that and there will be 2 others on here that wont forget it either.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by monktonharp View Post
    Well, we all have our stories from that final, I suppose. I was 18 years old. I had been married, to my lovely wife at that tender age, and was a bit o' a nutter to be honest. the wife and I are still together and she sometimes wonders how it is so! . However, at the game I do remember the Glesga Polis wading in and making some random arrests just before half time in the Hibs end near the Celtic fans .Being the way I was at the time, I decided it was "rather unfair" so decided to kick a Sargent right up the arse!. I was promptly arrested as I did not see his Constable behind me!. I was then thrown into a waggon full o' Celtic fans and a fat speccy barsteward said to me...…..you wan o' they hibby cants? am gonnae get you when we get tae the big hoose! my response was, AYE Ya Ya Fat Weegie, JIST DAE IT NOW!!!!!.He shat hisel and his buddies laughed their c/ocks off. It ended off, that 3 of us from the Porty bus ended up arrested, and we all spent the weekend in Craigie Street Polis station.Fat Boab, fi Garthamlock soon changed his tune when we ganged up on him and his daft mates btw. we then went to the Glasgow Sherriff court and my best mate said....plead guilty, I just got a £50 fine. the other 2 of us did that, and were both remanded for a total of 18 days in a big hoose in Riddrie. I actually stayed in Niddrie, and would rather have stayed there than in Barlinnie Jail .Certainly a learning curve in my life, and I do remember watching a Film there on the 27th of December in the chapel. Steptoe and son, what a classic.! Added to that, I had the prospect of looking forward to the birth of my first child(my young wife was happy of me being in Glasgow as you can imagine) I was eventually released from penal certitude with a nominal fine, and have been a a loyal and upstanding citizen since then. !! the trouble is, my wife told me that if I had even a thought of going to the Derby game in January (0-7) she would walk oot the door! . My first born son warrived on 11/01/73. a bouncing baby hibbie . such is life
    Classic tale Wullie!

@hibs.net private member
    . Great authentic story. We all have those young experiences. Better then than later

Brilliant! Pure Irvine Welsh.

So did you miss the greatest game in history?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    Quite possibly the best ever performance by Pat Stanton in a Hibs shirt. He was immense that day
    The touch just to move the ball a foot to the right before he hammers it home is just pure class, almost Cruyff like in its execution, one of the most gifted and stylish players I ever saw play the game, Tommy Docherty’s quote of him being better than Bobby Moore wasn’t far off the mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    One I can say...I wusnae there!

It was East of Scotland Cup day, and I remember playing in a ‘can’t miss ‘ game at St Marks Park and putting a couple past Leith Athletic Goalie Charlie Groom.

Actually got the result at the top of Easter Road where I walked to to get a Pink News and approaching the paper seller bumped into a guy called Gerry Herriot who played for rivals Links United and was coincidentally a Celtic supporter.

He told me the score at the top of Easter Road and my fitba boots went skywards in celebration!

Strange how some things stick in your mind when it comes to Hibs......had no contact with the two guys mentioned since that day, but they are forever stuck in the memory banks due to the Hibs winning the League Cup!
    Charlie Groom works as a electrican at burtons biscuits

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Rehabacrossthesea Wii Code: 4040
    Wooosh! ‘hic!

Thank you Father!
    Double Wooosh!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MackTheKnife View Post

Double Wooosh!!!

Wooooooshhhh!

Quote Originally Posted by Ray-in-ireland View Post
    Put 8 past Ally McLeod's Ayr the following Saturday
    V Ayr Utd.jpg

Does anyone remember a wee tractor thing that went round the shale border surrounding the pitch either at the start of the match or at half time and two youth players held up the League Cup or might have been the Drybrough Cup or am I losing my mind?

@hibs.net private member eastterrace's Avatar
    Does anyone remember a wee tractor thing that went round the shale border surrounding the pitch either at the start of the match or at half time and two youth players held up the League Cup or might have been the Drybrough Cup or am I losing my mind?
    Sure it was a dumper truck with the young players standing in it with the trophy’s

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk