hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar

46 years ago today

SCOTTISH LEAGUE CUP FINAL 9/12/1972

HIBERNIAN 2 v 1 CELTIC

In May 1972 a confident HIBS support went through to Hampden in large numbers for the Scottish Cup Final only to return with their tails between their legs soundly beaten 6-1 but in reality the final score could easily have been 10-6 as HIBS threw caution to the wind second half

A defiant Eddie Turnbull said to the awaiting press “We will be back.”

Hibs returned to Hampden in the preseason in the new look Dryburgh Cup to beat Celtic 5-3 after extra time but the icing on the cake was surely the 1972/73 League Cup Final

On a cold rain soaked and wind swept Hampden Park Turnbulls Tornadoes produced a masterclass with a virtuoso performance from captain Pat Stanton as HIBS hammered their Celtic counterparts who were no mugs 2-1 with a wonderful controlled display of scintillating attacking football.

Goals from Stanton and ORourke and a late consolation goal from a young Kenny Dalglish made the last ten minutes slightly nervous for the Hibee hoardes soaked in the Rangers end

Pat Stanton was unplayable that day as he totally dominated the midfield the only HIBS player that has come close to matching that display imho was Anthony Stokes on 21/5/16

Hibernian: Herriot,Brownlie Schaedler, Stanton,Black and Blackley,Edwards,ORourke,Gordon,Cropley and Duncan sub Hamilton

Celtic: Williams,McGrain,Brogan,McCluskey,McNeil,Hay,Johns tone,Connolly,Dalglish,Hood and Macari sub Callaghan

https://youtu.be/6q3LCUiQhME

Memories please
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 09-12-2018 at 07:17 AM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

HIBERNIAN 2 v 1 CELTIC

In April 1972 a confident HIBS support went through to Hampden in large numbers for the Scottish Cup Final only to return with their tails between their legs soundly beaten 6-1 but in reality the final score could easily have been 10-6 as HIBS threw caution to the wind second half

Hibs returned to Hampden in the preseason in the new look Dryburgh Cup to beat Celtic 5-3 after extra time but the icing on the cake was surely the 1972/73 League Cup Final

On a cold rain soaked and wind swept Hampden Park Turnbulls Tornadoes produced a masterclass with a virtuoso performance from captain Pat Stanton as HIBS hammered their Celtic counterparts who were no mugs 2-1 with a wonderful controlled display of scintillating attacking football.

Goals from Stanton and ORourke and a late consolation goal from a young Kenny Dalglish made the last ten minutes slightly nervous for the Hibee hoardes soaked in the Rangers end

Pat Stanton was unplayable that day as he totally dominated the midfield the only HIBS player that has come close to matching that display imho was Anthony Stokes on 21/5/16

Hibernian: Herriot,Brownlie Schaedler, Stanton,Black and Blackley,Edwards,ORourke,Gordon,Cropley and Duncan sub Hamilton

Memories please
    One I can say...I wusnae there!

It was East of Scotland Cup day, and I remember playing in a ‘can’t miss ‘ game at St Marks Park and putting a couple past Leith Athletic Goalie Charlie Groom.

Actually got the result at the top of Easter Road where I walked to to get a Pink News and approaching the paper seller bumped into a guy called Gerry Herriot who played for rivals Links United and was coincidentally a Celtic supporter.

He told me the score at the top of Easter Road and my fitba boots went skywards in celebration!

Strange how some things stick in your mind when it comes to Hibs......had no contact with the two guys mentioned since that day, but they are forever stuck in the memory banks due to the Hibs winning the League Cup!

HIBERNIAN 2 v 1 CELTIC

In April 1972 a confident HIBS support went through to Hampden in large numbers for the Scottish Cup Final only to return with their tails between their legs soundly beaten 6-1 but in reality the final score could easily have been 10-6 as HIBS threw caution to the wind second half

Celtic: Williams,McGrain,Brogan,McCluskey,McNeil,Hay,Johns tone,Connolly,Dalglish,Hood and Macari sub Callaghan

Memories please
    Was there and Stanton was superb. My all time football hero

I was there! Remember thinking that paddy was actually crossing for Alan Gordon when Jim o’rourke met the ball and headed possibly the best goal I had ever seen.

Testimonial Due

HIBERNIAN 2 v 1 CELTIC

In May 1972 a confident HIBS support went through to Hampden in large numbers for the Scottish Cup Final only to return with their tails between their legs soundly beaten 6-1 but in reality the final score could easily have been 10-6 as HIBS threw caution to the wind second half

Memories please
    I was 16 soaked to the skin but who cared. Magnificant football. What a golden era.

First Team Breakthrough Cheshire Hibby's Avatar

HIBERNIAN 2 v 1 CELTIC

Memories please

I was there but standing on the open Celtic end. Went through on the Bathgate and West Lothian Hibs bus with a Hibee mate. The bus arrived later than we would have liked and after running to Hampden we just went in the first gate and ended up besides hoardes of Celtic fans. No trouble during first half but at half time got into a spot of bother with some celts who had noticed the white Hibs flag bought on the run up to the ground. Celtic flags were yellow in contrast. some older Celtic fans stepped in and protected us in the 2nd half.

The huge wedge of Hibs flags in the Rangers end is a lasting memory. Hibs were magnificent with two great goals. Celtic threw everything at us and after Dalglish had scored there were a few nerves but all in all the result was thoroughly deserved. Great to see Sir Pat lift the 2nd trophy of the season and our first League Cup and first cup in 70 years. Great memories.

on the way back our bus broke down near Coatbridge on the A8 and we never got through to Edinburgh for the parade. To this day that really grates.
    Last edited by Cheshire Hibby; 09-12-2018 at 08:48 AM.

Was there - had also been to the 6-2, 6-1 as well, so had developed a young ‘fear’ of Celtic at Hampden.

Couldnt believe it was 0-0 at half time and how well we had played against them.

The rain started to come on in the second half, Hibs fans started singing loudly, Celtic went quiet, Stanton was absolutely magnificent as they all were, and 45 minutes later, I had the best football day out.

My dad and uncles drove to The Barnton Hotel to get a drink and I was left in the car with my programme, juice and crisps. Couldn’t have been happier. Great days to be a Hibby.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Was there, my hibby cousin and my late uncle, a jambo took me through on a bus that left from St. Clair street.

The game itself is a blur, I remember getting a rosette and a hat that I still have. The hat's known as the lucky cup final hat but it's been to far too many unlucky ones since.

I remember beforehand standing in the corner of a pub rammed full of celtc fans. There was plenty noise but no trouble.

Missed the parade. Can't actually remember why!

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Quote Originally Posted by SingHibs View Post
    I was 16 soaked to the skin but who cared. Magnificant football. What a golden era.
    Put 8 past Ally McLeod's Ayr the following Saturday

First Team Breakthrough Cheshire Hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray-in-ireland View Post
    Put 8 past Ally McLeod's Ayr the following Saturday
    And 7 past the Jambos just 23 days later. MAGNIFICENT

Blog Entries
    Including that win we've now had 4 trophies in those 46 years. Its hard to remember it had been 70 years since our previous success & that we had never won the LC. I smile now looking at posts saying we saw it out comfortably, was longest 11 minutes of my life!!!

HIBERNIAN 2 v 1 CELTIC

Memories please
    The passage of time is scary as I remember that like it was yesterday. I'm so glad that I was privileged enough to have watched such a great Hibs team.

The strip as well ... what a strip that was ... it was class!
    "The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it" - George Bernard Shaw.

@hibs.net private member H18S NX's Avatar
    Yip,i was there,soaked to the skin,but could not have been happier.

First Team Breakthrough Risboro Hibby's Avatar
    Travelled through as I did to all away matches at that time on Mrs Mac’s Hawkhill bus that managed to get a brick through the window on the way home,so we missed the victory parade.

Game itself was on the main terrace so got absolutely soaked to the skin. But to be fair never noticed how wet I was as I was just hoarse shouting us on as we did play a very good Celtic side off the park that day. Pat Stanton was always my favourite player and that day he confirmed his status in my eyes as a world class player

Did pay for that soaking later as I ended up off school all next week with flu, and even was not well enough to miss the 8 1 drubbing we gave Ayr United the following Saturday.

@hibs.net private member Ringothedog's Avatar
    It’s funny how as a 12 year old you remember things differently. I was in the main terracing towards the Celtic end with my late dad. I don’t remember the rain but how dark and dismal it was. Me and my friend were threatened by supporters our own age which just made us shout louder in support of the Hibs, it was a great feeling when we won and the glint of the cup in the floodlights when Pat Stanton lifted it is etched in my memory, sadly my dad took me straight home and I missed the parade.

@hibs.net private member hibeerealist's Avatar
    Yep, 6-2 and 6-1 had us fans worried about any repeats but PS (god) was superb and led the tornadoes to a great win.

Stood all night outside the NB hotel after the parade along Princess Street. Those were the days.....

Quote Originally Posted by Roxyhibee View Post
    Was there - had also been to the 6-2, 6-1 as well, so had developed a young ‘fear’ of Celtic at Hampden.

Couldnt believe it was 0-0 at half time and how well we had played against them.

The rain started to come on in the second half, Hibs fans started singing loudly, Celtic went quiet, Stanton was absolutely magnificent as they all were, and 45 minutes later, I had the best football day out.

My dad and uncles drove to The Barnton Hotel to get a drink and I was left in the car with my programme, juice and crisps. Couldn’t have been happier. Great days to be a Hibby.

@hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar
    Was only 6 so not at the game, but have vivid memory of watching the open top bus going through Corstorphine that night.

@hibs.net private member hibee_nation's Avatar
    We went through on the football special from Waverley. Train was so slow getting back we had to force our way up Waverley steps to get onto Princess St just in time to see Pat and the boys at the NBH with the trophy.
    11 years old i thought it was gonna be a regular occurance

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
    45 AND RISING

Quote Originally Posted by Risboro Hibby View Post
    Travelled through as I did to all away matches at that time on Mrs Mac’s Hawkhill bus that managed to get a brick through the window on the way home,so we missed the victory parade.

Game itself was on the main terrace so got absolutely soaked to the skin. But to be fair never noticed how wet I was as I was just hoarse shouting us on as we did play a very good Celtic side off the park that day. Pat Stanton was always my favourite player and that day he confirmed his status in my eyes as a world class player

Did pay for that soaking later as I ended up off school all next week with flu, and even was not well enough to miss the 8 1 drubbing we gave Ayr United the following Saturday.
    I was a regular on Mrs Mac's Hawkhill bus at that time. I was just saying to someone recently that we did not make the parade back in Edinburgh but could not for the life of me remember why. Thanks for clearing that up.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    I was 10 and deemed too young to attend, but I listened to the game on a wee transistor radio that I’d been given for my birthday.
    The hoose was in uproar and my dear old ma took me along to the Walk and we got a space at the end of Albert Street to see that magical bus inching its way down. Scottish Cup beats everything but I think I had my most enjoyable six or seven months of being a Hibby right then. I genuinely believed we had the best team in the world and idolised every one of them.

Left by mutual consent!
    Eric Stevenson went to Hampden that day. Had a game for Ayr Utd but went to cheer on the Hibs !

Coaching Staff

HIBERNIAN 2 v 1 CELTIC

Memories please
    Truly it was just terrific. That was a team & manager who didn't go into a game hoping to win but expecting to win. Magnificent & I am truly thankful to have watch them in that & many other great games. I am sorry for today's support who weren't there to witness that team.

I was there with my dad and his friends was great day and night only bettered by 21/05/2916

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    Yeah, I was there that wonderful day. I'd seen us lift the Summer and Drybrough cups but this was the first major silverware I saw a Hibs captain hold aloft.
    I was with a few pals in the west end of the old Hampden main stand which was packed with Hibs fans. It was probably the first game I'd been in a stand and hadn't sat down for the 90 minutes. Two wonder goals from Paddy and wee Jimmy had us in raptures, must admit though, when Dalglish scored late on, we thought "Oh no not again".
    This time we had a happy ending though. We celebrated back in town at the Guildford and joined the throng of Hibees outside the old NB hotel. The sight of wee Jimmy standing on the ledge of the balcony has lived with me down the years. What a day and night!

Testimonial Due
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Risboro Hibby View Post

I've still got some glass from that broken window in a wee container along with the programme. Remember getting off the bus in Princess Street and seeing the players with the cup on the balcony of the North British Hotel. I was 13, soaking wet and happy..

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    I was 15 went through with my late dad in a borrowed mini that the doors didn’t lock.
    Funny how I can remember that but the match is a bit of a blur was on the terracing opposite the main stand quite high up under cover so didn’t get a soaking. My lasting memory though is being surrounded by Celtic supporters at the end as we left the ground that congratulated Hibs and said the best team won. Changed days.

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Is there colour highlights anywhere?
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    Is there colour highlights anywhere?
    Only preceded your Jamie Reid avatar by 4 or 5 years but probably, unthinkably not. Funny to think.

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Rehabacrossthesea Wii Code: 4040
    That Hibs line-up

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Rehabacrossthesea Wii Code: 4040
    Our Goalie