hibs.net Messageboard

Tight league: Fine Margins

Looking at the table it's fair to say that ( Sevco and Celtic aside with their games in hand and vastly superior GD's) really very little separates ourselves from all of the teams currently sitting above us. For this exercise I'm not considering the bottom 4 clubs - all of whom we are comfortably clear off.

We have lost 5 games: the same as Hearts, Aberdeen and livingston.

Kilmarnock (who were top until earlier today) have lost only 1 game less than ourselves...the same as St.Johnstone.

We have drawn 5 games: more than all of the aforementioned teams (in fact more than every SPL side to date)

It's easy to see how if only 2 or 3 of those draws had been converted into wins we'd be sitting comfortably challenging for 4th spot.

As it stands we are 7 points behind 4th placed Hearts and with a game in hand, which if won would place us 4 points off that coveted spot.

The bottom line is that despite our depressing run we never lost ground on 4th spot. We actually gained a point on Hearts over that miserable sequence. Bizarre.

Even more bizarre is that The Jambos, despite a similar depressing run where they could not buy a win, are tonight sitting only 3 points off the top!

This is why this league can be considered so tight, with fine margins separating so many clubs.

For me this gives cause for optimism and potentially an exciting 2nd half of season to look forward to if we can strengthen during the January window.
    Last edited by Lennon's Lip; 08-12-2018 at 08:43 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Keekaboo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lennon's Lip View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Kilmarnock (who were top until earlier today) have lost only 1 game less than ourselves...
    At this time tomorrow, Kilmarnock will probably be down to third place, but still ten points better off than Hibs

It's easy to see how if only 2 or 3 of those draws had been converted into wins we'd be sitting comfortably challenging for 4th spot.
    If we'd won ALL our games, we'd be clear top of the league... and if my aunty had baws, etc.

As it stands we are 7 points behind 4th placed Hearts and with a game in hand, which if won would place us 4 points off that coveted spot.
    St Johnstone and Livi have played one less than Hearts, and Aberdeen two less, and are all above us in the table. If St Johnstome win their 'game in hand', they'd have one more point than Hearts do now

Also, our so-called 'game in hand' is the delayed game against The Rangers, which we are extremely unlikely to win on our current form.

Even more bizarre is that The Jambos, despite a similar depressing run where they could not buy a win, are tonight sitting only 3 points off the top!
    But only because they've played two more games than both Celtc and The Rangers, both of whom have the distraction of Europa League Group Stages to contend with.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

All that aside, I admire your optimism

Last edited by Keekaboo; 08-12-2018 at 09:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    At this time tomorrow, Kilmarnock will probably be down to third place, but still ten points better off than Hibs

If we'd won ALL our games, we'd be clear top of the league... and if my aunty had baws, etc.

St Johnstone and Livi have played one less than Hearts, and Aberdeen two less, and are all above us in the table. If St Johnstome win their 'game in hand', they'd have one more point than Hearts do now

Also, our so-called 'game in hand' is the delayed game against The Rangers, which we are extremely unlikely to win on our current form.

But only because they've played two more games than both Celtc and The Rangers, both of whom have the distraction of Europa League Group Stages to contend with.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

All that aside, I admire your optimism

Well I have a choice of going "Bah Humbug" to our recent results or getting into " Yo ho ho, Merry Christmas everyone"

I think it's evident which way I've gone

It highlights how frustrating our recent home form has been.

One goal more scored or fewer conceded in each of the last three home games would be a further five points, which would have us in fifth on 28 points.

And those were three games we needed to do well in as we have some tricky fixtures coming up.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    It highlights how frustrating our recent home form has been.

One goal more scored or fewer conceded in each of the last three home games would be a further five points, which would have us in fifth on 28 points.

And those were three games we needed to do well in as we have some tricky fixtures coming up.

@hibs.net private member Keekaboo's Avatar
    Well I have a choice of going "Bah Humbug" to our recent results or getting into " Yo ho ho, Merry Christmas everyone"

I think it's evident which way I've gone

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    I remember posting something similar last season around this time possibly regarding drawing more than anyone else in the league (perhaps other than Hearts). I got the usual “if my auntie had baws” response the OP got but it’s clearly a recurring issue.

Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    I remember posting something similar last season around this time possibly regarding drawing more than anyone else in the league (perhaps other than Hearts). I got the usual “if my auntie had baws” response the OP got but it’s clearly a recurring issue.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Spanish_Kebab
    Looking at the table it's fair to say that ( Sevco and Celtic aside with their games in hand and vastly superior GD's) really very little separates ourselves from all of the teams currently sitting above us. For this exercise I'm not considering the bottom 4 clubs - all of whom we are comfortably clear off.

We have lost 5 games: the same as Hearts, Aberdeen and livingston.

Kilmarnock (who were top until earlier today) have lost only 1 game less than ourselves...the same as St.Johnstone.

We have drawn 5 games: more than all of the aforementioned teams (in fact more than every SPL side to date)

The bottom line is that despite our depressing run we never lost ground on 4th spot. We actually gained a point on Hearts over that miserable sequence. Bizarre.

This is why this league can be considered so tight, with fine margins separating so many clubs.

For me this gives cause for optimism and potentially an exciting 2nd half of season to look forward to if we can strengthen during the January window.
    Exactly this. Difference being Scott Allan just like last January 🤞🏼😁

Quote Originally Posted by Nevi_SOL View Post
    If Scott Allen is signed it will be interesting to see how much of a difference he makes. He doesn't exactly do much hard graft and is similar to Hyndman. No doubt he would improve us but our midfield lacks legs and Scott Allen won't change that.

@hibs.net private member Milkinho's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Milkinho
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevi_SOL View Post
    Or keeping Hyndman. His importance was shown on Saturday.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Spanish_Kebab
    Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    If Scott Allen is signed it will be interesting to see how much of a difference he makes. He doesn't exactly do much hard graft and is similar to Hyndman. No doubt he would improve us but our midfield lacks legs and Scott Allen won't change that.
    I do agree with you but Scott could pick out a pass no one else in the league could see