hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EEN website

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar

EEN website

Anyone think this is a complete ****ing joke now? Literally 90% of the screen is covered by massive ads, with a tiny bit of content in the middle. You have two side banners, one top banner which follows you down the page, ads in the middle of content and not one but TWO videos which play without your consent. There's also another video that starts playing at the top of the page which is unmuted, and half the time one of the ads redirects you to a completely different website.

I used to check it regularly for Hibs content but I hardly bother now. You can barely ****ing read anything - totally ridiculous.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anyone think this is a complete ****ing joke now? Literally 90% of the screen is covered by massive ads, with a tiny bit of content in the middle. You have two side banners, one top banner which follows you down the page, ads in the middle of content and not one but TWO videos which play without your consent. There's also another video that starts playing at the top of the page which is unmuted, and half the time one of the ads redirects you to a completely different website.

I used to check it regularly for Hibs content but I hardly bother now. You can barely ****ing read anything - totally ridiculous.
    it’s a shocker of a website now.

Think if you actually subscribe then adverts are limited, non subscribers get bombarded with ads

Its also terribly slow, and whilst loading the many adverts and videos (which are always there before the article you’ve clicked on and want to read), the page jumps about a lot

its a joke of a site to try to use

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    It's rank.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    it’s a shocker of a website now.
    You’re right. However, bear in mind Johnstone Press have recently gone into administration and it probably explains the multitude of adverts per page now. They need to make money somehow.

Having said that, other newspaper sites are just as bad.

Left by mutual consent!

Plus you quite often have todo a survey(which they get paid for) to access content.

Plus it generally streams a video,which is bloody annoying if low on data

Never visit it any more. Hootsmon/EEN bias from politics to football makes it an unattractive option.

They allowed Yoons to destroy the political comments pages and that eejit TOTT to turn the football comments into a home for deluded Rollands

Hell mend them.

@hibs.net private member H18S NX's Avatar
    Try ublock,stops the videos and ads.

@hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar
    Of the sites I visit regularly the EEN is the worst by a distance
    ​#PERSEVERED

Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar
    It’s unreadable on mobile

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post

I don’t have the patience to attempt to decipher their online articles any more.

Ever tried to read the Facebook comments at the bottom of the article? It’s like a game: are you able to read them before the constantly spawning clickbait articles push them further down the page?

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gloucester Hibs View Post
    Ever tried to read the Facebook comments at the bottom of the article? It’s like a game: are you able to read them before the constantly spawning clickbait articles push them further down the page?
    Ha ha I spotted that during the week when I was gamely trying to navigate THE worst web site ever created....never got to the comments as I gave up after 5 attempts to beat the click bait spawns

If you use Firefox, try AdblockPlus. Works well for me.

EveningNews.jpg

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Jellzy
    Adblock Plus or Ublock origin.

Disable it for sites that are not obtrusive and you want to support. Enable it for those who take the piss.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    That’s what I always use it on and it really is unusable. Wasn’t like that until recently aswell.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    It's dreadful.

Left by mutual consent! Fife-Hibee's Avatar
    Download adblock. It generally does the trick. Unless a website detects it and asks you to disable it.

Quote Originally Posted by CMac1988 View Post
    Adblock Plus or Ublock origin.

Disable it for sites that are not obtrusive and you want to support. Enable it for those who take the piss.
    I just acquired it and it certainly makes a difference.

First Team Breakthrough
    Whilst we’re on the subject, the HibsTV website is awful on a mobile phone too. (I don’t mean adverts)

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibby6270 View Post
    You’re right. However, bear in mind Johnstone Press have recently gone into administration and it probably explains the multitude of adverts per page now. They need to make money somehow.

Having said that, other newspaper sites are just as bad.

Funnily enough, the most successful web companies have websites that are a pleasure to use. Johnston Press took the opposite approach for some reason.

Left by mutual consent!
    Just attempted to read today's Hibs stories on there. Next to impossible and gave up in frustration. I couldn't even click on the story I wanted.

They seem to set a lot of store by which of the stories are most popular judging by the wee chart at the side of the web page. You have to ask who is actually managing to read these stories to make them popular??

Awful just awful

Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    Just attempted to read today's Hibs stories on there. Next to impossible and gave up in frustration. I couldn't even click on the story I wanted.

They seem to set a lot of store by which of the stories are most popular judging by the wee chart at the side of the web page. You have to ask who is actually managing to read these stories to make them popular??

Did you try with an Ad Blocker?

Who reads websites these days anyway? Buying papers is the future

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    Did you try with an Ad Blocker?
    No, I'm not really that bothered. But if I was I think it's crazy that you have to do something like that in order to be able to read a website. I get that they have to boost their revenues somehow, but putting people off reading the stories by swamping it with adverts and making the stories difficult to actually access can't be the wisest means of doing so.

@hibs.net private member Biggie's Avatar
    Finding the same with my ******* phone these days......everytime I unlock it, 2 ads pop up.......aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargggggghhhhhhhh
    No idea what s/w I've loaded that could cause this but it's a major ballache
    "I don't have any regrets about not moving during my playing career. I was born a Hibee, my dad was a Hibee, I will stay a Hibee and I'll die a Hibee." -Lawrie Reilly

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by SallyCinnamon View Post
    Who reads websites these days anyway? Buying papers is the future

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    With newspapers online precence being so important these days you wonder why theirs is the way it is, no wonder they were/are close to going to the wall... Maybe those in charge are too old school and the modern age has passed them by.

I've a picture in my head of some 17 year old apprentice hiding somewhere managing the Web site and setting half the revenue to go their direction!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk