hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Genuine question, was Willie Hamilton a forward?
    Willie was a midfielder/inside forward and my favourite player

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick O'Rourke View Post
    Yes, the term back then would be "inside forward" . 8 or 10
    In the days when strips were numbered 1 to 11
    Willie Hamilton was the finest player i saw in a Hibernian jersey .
    Am not alone there.
    Pat Stanton and Jimmy O'Rourke are but two former players who rated Willie as the best player they played alongside at ER.

Jock Stein said Willie was one of the most gifted players he ever managed.
    He compared Willie to Dalglish
    Willie was a footballing genius.
    The trouble was he seemed to treat football as his hobby and not a real job.
    He glided through games.
    THIS is all true

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cmcd View Post
    Willie was a midfielder/inside forward and my favourite player
    Pat Stanton arrived at Celtic and Billy McNeill asked him in the changing room who was the best player he ever played with at HIBS Pat responded Willie Hamilton and there was silence as a few of the younger players had never heard of Willie Hamilton just then Jock Stein shuffled into the Changing room and said “ Aye Pats right Willie Hamilton was a brilliant player”

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Deeks and Gaz

First Team Regular
    Having seen both Baker and Martin I would have to choose them.Jimmy O and Alan Gordon were great also

My interpretation was a pairing in the same team, so of who I’ve seen in my lifetime, #1 pair must be Gordon & O’Rourke but closely followed by Riordan and O’Connor.

Mind you if we had been lucky enough to have had Riordan and Griffiths Play together, could have been different outcome.

Alan Gordon.
    Jimmy 0

Class

Defo Alan Gordon.and Jimmy O'Rourke

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Didn't Gerry play for the USA

E=monktonharp;5624092]2 English Internationalists, both on the Hibs books! Saw Joe, but only had a chewin' gum sticker of Gerry.[/QUOTE]

First Team Regular
    I remember Colin Stein and Peter Cormack from my early supporting days. Maybe not the best ever but worth a mention.

Gordon and o rourke but another top two at easter road (doesnt say playing for hibs) were keith wright and tommy coyne for dundee. When we had keith wright I always hoped wed get coyne as well.

Also steve cowan and gordon durie.

Dode best & akpo sodje

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by One Day View Post
    Jimmy O'Rourke and Alan Gordon. Alan Gordon was the best headerer of a ball I've seen
    Watched Hibs since 1970 but Riordan and Archiebald for me.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernian32 View Post
    Dode best & akpo sodje
    Loved Sodje, it was his strike partner Agogo that couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    My uncles face used to light up talking of “The Baker Boy” - he once told me Joe was twice the player the young Michael Owen was (and he won the Ballon D’or)

O’Connor and Riordans partnership was pretty special.

Quote Originally Posted by snedzuk View Post
    Gordon and o rourke but another top two at easter road (doesnt say playing for hibs) were keith wright and tommy coyne for dundee. When we had keith wright I always hoped wed get coyne as well.

Sadly they weren't together for long... and we were still quite crap in spite of them.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by snedzuk View Post

Yip! I remember Wright and Coyne ripped us apart at Easter Road 0-4 at half time

The fact we paid Dundee United for Darren Jackson after we signed Keith Wright a boyhood Hibby ruled out a move for Tommy Coyne

After our Sprinting Coach was finished with Gordon Juke Box Durie I thought he looked the real deal he had everything strength speed pace could finish was brave and good in the air. The guy was electric he even scored a hatrick for Der Hun in the Scottish Cup Final versus Hearts

I'm always surprised Darren Jackson doesn't get more of a mention on these threads.

He was a wonderful played for us and was the most important player in a very decent attacking unit for us for a few years.

Jackson and Mixu in my time watching Hibs.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Gordon and O’Rourke were the greatest strikeforce I’ve seen, albeit that I was only ten when Jimmy left the club. Etched on the memory, Gordon rising to glance a header into the net and O’Rourke slamming in shots.

Mixu and Zitelli were an effective combination. They didn’t score barrowloads, but they brought other players into the equation. Kamberi should have a look at what Mixu did in holding on tthe ball and bringing others into the game.

Durie and Cowan did the business for a season too. Without Durie’s running and effort Cowan really struggled. Together they were dynamite.

Wright and Evans had an excellent spell. Keith scored more, but Evans was everywhere and benefitted from the ginger heided maestros intelligent play. They gave teams trouble.

O’ Connor and Riordain, superb combination up front. I never really understood why Mowbray moved Deeks to a wide left position though. O’Connor was full of running and a powerful lad on the ball, Deeks had sublime skill and power in both feet. They were the best.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    A bit hard to say if you haven't seen them though!!!!

For all we know there could have been somebody brilliant in the 1880s or 1920s but we haven't heard of them.

Gordon and O'Rourke were my favourites when I was at school probably when I was at my most impressionable. It was only recently that I discovered that Alan Gordon didn't actually play an awful lot of games for Hibs and partnered Jimmy in less than 50 games (if I'm recalling the conversation correctly).
    From what i remember of lugton, 'darling' willie groves was a hero of the early days.

Two best forwards, from what i have heard would have to be reilly and baker surely?
    Last edited by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy; 08-12-2018 at 10:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    Gordon and O’Rourke were the greatest strikeforce I’ve seen, albeit that I was only ten when Jimmy left the club. Etched on the memory, Gordon rising to glance a header into the net and O’Rourke slamming in shots.

Mixu and Zitelli were an effective combination. They didn’t score barrowloads, but they brought other players into the equation. Kamberi should have a look at what Mixu did in holding on tthe ball and bringing others into the game.

Durie and Cowan did the business for a season too. Without Durie’s running and effort Cowan really struggled. Together they were dynamite.

Wright and Evans had an excellent spell. Keith scored more, but Evans was everywhere and benefitted from the ginger heided maestros intelligent play. They gave teams trouble.

O’ Connor and Riordain, superb combination up front. I never really understood why Mowbray moved Deeks to a wide left position though. O’Connor was full of running and a powerful lad on the ball, Deeks had sublime skill and power in both feet. They were the best.
    One of my mates thought Cowan was superb. I said wait until next season when Durie isn't there to set them up for him.

Smith and Baker get my vote.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy View Post
    From what i remember of lugton, 'darling' willie groves was a hero of the early days.

Two best forwards, from what i have heard would have to be reilly and baker surely?
    That depends on how you class Smith.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

@hibs.net private member Dan Sarf's Avatar
    Anyone remember Joe Baker and Johnnie McLeod on the right wing?

Dynamite.

Quote Originally Posted by SingHibs View Post
    Watched Hibs since 1970 but Riordan and Archibald for me.
    Totally agree Archibald tremendous player - world class. Best forward combination has to be the majestic, Alan Gordon and the imperious, Jimmy O’Rourke.

@hibs.net private member JohnMcM's Avatar
    Joe Baker and Joe McBride

Joe Baker and Bobby Johnstone

Magic

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    Best I’ve seen were Durie and Riordan. Durie didn’t stay long but he was a brilliant player whose career would have been even better if he hadn’t had knee injuries. Riordan is the most talented forward to come through our youth system. His ability with both feet was incredible. If he’d had Durie’s work ethic he’d have played for a top English club. I’m actually glad he didn’t in a way as it meant we saw more of him in a Hibs jersey
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Sarf View Post
    Anyone remember Joe Baker and Johnnie McLeod on the right wing?

Dynamite.
    A great combination. John said in later life that Baker made him look good and even if he hit the ball just to get himself out of trouble, Joe would anticipate it, making it look like a great pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Baker9 View Post
    A great combination. John said in later life that Baker made him look good and even if he hit the ball just to get himself out of trouble, Joe would anticipate it, making it look like a great pass.
    Nice (and very modest) story.