hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

If we were playing with 7 or 8 as Parker said, who's for the chop?

I'm excluding Bogdan so that leaves 6 or 7 of the outfield players, in other words at least 3 non-performers in the starting line-up last night. Who are they? (And after what has been said, presumably highly unlikely to start v Hamilton.)
    I'd go (in order):
    1. Kamberi
    2. Boyle
    3. Mallan

A few other contenders for that fourth spot, but too many borderline cases that I can't distinguish. Some might say Lennon. But I don't blame him for last night's performance. All down to the players, not the selection or set-up.

Excused from my list (as well as Bogdan) are
    Ambrose, Stevenson, Porteous (a few poor moments but the good outweighed the bad). And of the subs, Slivka.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member MartinfaePorty's Avatar
    Cant really argue with that. Boyle, to me, looks like he really needs a rest. Last season we had the options to do that, but we're hampered with injuries, so no real replacements available and I'll think he'll continue to start until the winter break. Slivka also seems better when coming on as a sub. He's athletic, which is a good attribute when the opposition are tiring, but when he starts he never really stamps his authority on the midfield as he should. Efe continues to be consistent. If he was better in the final 3rd he'd be world class!

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm excluding Bogdan so that leaves 6 or 7 of the outfield players, in other words at least 3 non-performers in the starting line-up last night. Who are they? (And after what has been said, presumably highly unlikely to start v Hamilton.)
    I'd go (in order):
    1. Kamberi
    2. Boyle
    3. Mallan

A few other contenders for that fourth spot, but too many borderline cases that I can't distinguish. Some might say Lennon. But I don't blame him for last night's performance. All down to the players, not the selection or set-up.

Excused from my list (as well as Bogdan) are
    Ambrose, Stevenson, Porteous (a few poor moments but the good outweighed the bad). And of the subs, Slivka.
    From last nights team they 3 are the obvious. Shaw would probably have been in there aswell if he hadn’t got his goal.

From last nights team the only ones that could have any complaints at not starting on Saturday for me would be Efe, Slivka and Porteous definitely and probably Bogdan aswell.

Kamberi
    Horgan
    Boyle

Definitely not Kamberi. Do folk want Shaw and Maclaren dealing with those aimless punts?

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    The fact Kamberi got hooked for not doing his job shows that Lenny and Parker are not best pleased with him

@hibs.net private member
    Horgan is so unfortunate. He gets no luck at all.

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    From last nights team they 3 are the obvious. Shaw would probably have been in there aswell if he hadn’t got his goal.

From last nights team the only ones that could have any complaints at not starting on Saturday for me would be Efe, Slivka and Porteous definitely and probably Bogdan aswell.
    With you on Shaw. E.G. for the loss of possession for their first goal, at the time I blamed Mallan for firing a pass to Shaw who was not well positioned surrounded by three or four opponents and easily dispossessed. However, on seeing the BBC highlights, it is actually a great pass to make, taking out the three St M players and anticipating a simple lay-off by Shaw for a one-two with Mallan, who goes in the space to get it back. But Shaw just doesn't see that, miscontrols and boof, 0-1. Outstanding goal mind you.

Quote Originally Posted by Blaster View Post
    Kamberi
    Horgan
    Boyle
    I actually thought Horgan and Boyle were our only threat last night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post

Aye I thought Horgan was involved in most of the chances we created. No the fittest though.

The depressing fact is the if we did drop Mallan, Horgan, Kamberi etc, who exactly are we going to bring into the team right now to replace them.

Our lack of summer transfer activity prior to the Livi game has come back to bite us in the derriere.

If only we could unearth a Riordan or a Brown like we did yonks ago when losing to Aberdeen years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinfaePorty View Post
    Cant really argue with that. Boyle, to me, looks like he really needs a rest. Last season we had the options to do that, but we're hampered with injuries, so no real replacements available and I'll think he'll continue to start until the winter break. Slivka also seems better when coming on as a sub. He's athletic, which is a good attribute when the opposition are tiring, but when he starts he never really stamps his authority on the midfield as he should. Efe continues to be consistent. If he was better in the final 3rd he'd be world class!
    I don't think Boyle needs a rest - he needs the team's tactics to work to his strengths.

What does that mean - it means when we win the ball deep in midfield, last season the ball was quickly recycled to McGinn who would ping a 70 yarder into open space behind the left back for Boyle to run onto, the idea being Boyle just needs to take a touch and slide it across goal, to a Maclaren/Flo who then only needed one touch, goal. The opposition couldn't play too high up the field (leaving space) and it changed the whole shape of the game for us. We terrorised opponents that way.

Now, we play slow, daft, tip-tap across the middle, eventually slowly passing to Boyle on the halfway line, with 10 opponents in front of him, asking him to use some trickery (instead of pace). A ball goes into Flo, who lets it bounce off him. Maclaren doesn't even get on for 83 minutes. Mallan can play the McGinn hail-Mary 70 yarder pass, but isn't being encouraged to. We end up slow, ponderous, easy to defend against, looking clueless.

But that's not the players fault.

That's the manager.

Change the tactics. He has the players. He is just not using them to their strengths.

Maybe we could get a A league team to take Milligan? He’s not good enough to start here and hopefully he does want to finish his career on the bench.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Maybe we could get a A league team to take Milligan? He’s not good enough to start here and hopefully he does want to finish his career on the bench.

The way things are shaping up he could have his swan song there after 12 months

@hibs.net private member oldbutdim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Springbank View Post
    I don't think Boyle needs a rest - he needs the team's tactics to work to his strengths.

What does that mean - it means when we win the ball deep in midfield, last season the ball was quickly recycled to McGinn who would ping a 70 yarder into open space behind the left back for Boyle to run onto, the idea being Boyle just needs to take a touch and slide it across goal, to a Maclaren/Flo who then only needed one touch, goal. The opposition couldn't play too high up the field (leaving space) and it changed the whole shape of the game for us. We terrorised opponents that way.

Now, we play slow, daft, tip-tap across the middle, eventually slowly passing to Boyle on the halfway line, with 10 opponents in front of him, asking him to use some trickery (instead of pace). A ball goes into Flo, who lets it bounce off him. Maclaren doesn't even get on for 83 minutes. Mallan can play the McGinn hail-Mary 70 yarder pass, but isn't being encouraged to. We end up slow, ponderous, easy to defend against, looking clueless.

But that's not the players fault.

That's the manager.

Change the tactics. He has the players. He is just not using them to their strengths.

Have to agree.
    Boyle can still be one of the most feared attackers in the top division, but only if he is allowed/encouraged to utilise his main asset - his blistering pace.
    The slow build ups just aren't working. We may retain possession a bit longer (sometimes) but there's no end product.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Definitely not Kamberi. Do folk want Shaw and Maclaren dealing with those aimless punts?
    Exactly my thoughts although I don’t think we can continue with Kamberi.

Dare I say it, the only striker who’s shown any signs of being able to lead the line is Lewis Allen at Livi.

I've defended Kamberi before but I'm finding it harder to do that recently.

Passing a ball to him is like kicking it at a bouncy castle. You know it's going to bounce off but you can never be sure in which direction.

Quote Originally Posted by ChazD View Post
    Exactly my thoughts although I don’t think we can continue with Kamberi.

Dare I say it, the only striker who’s shown any signs of being able to lead the line is Lewis Allen at Livi.
    Kamberi has 7 goals this season, including an absolute incredible solo effort Vs Celtic, but Lewis Allan has shown more in his 2 appearances?

🤔🤔

Kambri
    Boyle
    Horgan
    Mallan

Bring in Lewis Allan, Murray, Slivka and Gullan.

Testimonial Due
    What we need to look at was when we were sitting in 2nd place in the league, we had a goal difference of something like +16, now we are only +6!
    So its not hard to say that the defence needs tightened up, we cried out for Hanlon to come back and as yet he is nothing like he was before injury!
    In midfield Mallan has scored some cracking goals but again they have dried up, and he's not infuencing the games like he was before!
    Kamberi looked a world beater early in the season, yet again his form has dropped away and goals have stopped coming!
    To me they make up the spine of the team, and until we strenghten that spine we will just keep on suffering!!!!!

Kenny Miller! Come back to Easter Road!

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Kambri
    Boyle
    Horgan
    Mallan

Bring in Lewis Allan, Murray, Slivka and Gullan.
    What has Gullan, Murray or Allan done to show they would make a positive difference and not just get pushed around and bullied?

What has Gullan, Murray or Allan done to show they would make a positive difference and not just get pushed around and bullied?

What have the players being talked about showed or offered?

Porteous was one of the few players last night to show any kind of fight and at only 19, lets give 2-3 youngsters a chance, getting fed up with some of these so called more senior players doing the square root of nowt.

@hibs.net private member Biggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Kenny Miller! Come back to Easter Road!
    That ships sailed mate....
    "I don't have any regrets about not moving during my playing career. I was born a Hibee, my dad was a Hibee, I will stay a Hibee and I'll die a Hibee." -Lawrie Reilly

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    What have the players being talked about showed or offered?

Porteous was one of the few players last night to show any kind of fight and at only 19, lets give 2-3 youngsters a chance, getting fed up with some of these so called more senior players doing the square root of nowt.
    They've offered far more than the youngsters? Nearly 20 goals between Mallan and Kamberi. How is 3 players without a goal between them going to improve us Vs Rangers and Celtic?

Boyle - out
    Stevenson - out
    Porteous - out
    Kamberi - out
    Shaw - out

Hanlon - in
    Nelom - in
    Maclaren - in
    Allan - in
    Slivka - in

To be honest Ozy it was my take on who Parker was on about not doing their jobs properly. I agree they were a threat but didn’t think their effort levels were high enough without the ball

So many of our players don’t look fit enough. I think we should be making better use of our reserve games for overall fitness

They've offered far more than the youngsters? Nearly 20 goals between Mallan and Kamberi. How is 3 players without a goal between them going to improve us Vs Rangers and Celtic?

Dear god man we're not denying that, Parker stated that certain players are not doing enough and what they are told, we're speculating on here as to who he was talking about. I've given my views as to who it is and offered up some names as to who can maybe come in to replace them. I don't know if you've noticed but on the bench last night we had Nelom, McGregor, Milligan, Slivka, McLaren and Gullan as the outfield players to choose from. Hyndman, Agyepong, Gray, Hanlon are not available, so who do you think we have to come in and replace any of the 3-4 players who are not cutting it just now?

Quote Originally Posted by pacoluna View Post
    Boyle - out
    Stevenson - out
    Porteous - out
    Kamberi - out
    Shaw - out

Hanlon - in
    Nelom - in
    Maclaren - in
    Allan - in
    Slivka - in

Why Porteous?

Quote Originally Posted by Biggie View Post
    That ships sailed mate....
    Hopefully it hits an iceberg and sinks with all souls who sail on it.