hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Recruitment

Recruitment

I'm taking a look at our past recruitment history and one thing stands out. Most of our signings are players that can't get a game for there current clubs. This for me is the biggest problem. I watched a video last year that showed George Craig identifying players via online videos. At the time I thought this was not the way we should be finding players, and it's even more evident now. Here's a list of our more recent signings that were on the fringes and couldn't get a game for there current clubs.

Mallan
    Maclaren
    Flo
    Horgan
    Hyndman
    Agyepong
    Slivka
    Matulevicious
    Whittaker
    Milligan

You start going back further and names like Dagnall, Carmichael and Thomson appear. Where we have had success with players, are young up and coming players like McGinn, McGeouch, Henderson and Barker. Also signing players that get a game for there clubs has worked out better for us. Bartley, McGregor, Efe. I'm not saying we shouldn't sign players that don't play for there clubs, or just because they do (Swanson) they are guaranteed to work out. What I do think we need to do is flip flop the way we find players around. Rather than mostly sign players that are not on form and playing for there clubs, we should be looking to find players that are in form and playing regularly.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DetroitHibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm taking a look at our past recruitment history and one thing stands out. Most of our signings are players that can't get a game for there current clubs. This for me is the biggest problem. I watched a video last year that showed George Craig identifying players via online videos. At the time I thought this was not the way we should be finding players, and it's even more evident now. Here's a list of our more recent signings that were on the fringes and couldn't get a game for there current clubs.

Mallan
    Maclaren
    Flo
    Horgan
    Hyndman
    Agyepong
    Slivka
    Matulevicious
    Whittaker
    Milligan

You start going back further and names like Dagnall, Carmichael and Thomson appear. Where we have had success with players, are young up and coming players like McGinn, McGeouch, Henderson and Barker. Also signing players that get a game for there clubs has worked out better for us. Bartley, McGregor, Efe. I'm not saying we shouldn't sign players that don't play for there clubs, or just because they do (Swanson) they are guaranteed to work out. What I do think we need to do is flip flop the way we find players around. Rather than mostly sign players that are not on form and playing for there clubs, we should be looking to find players that are in form and playing regularly.
    You don't half post some utter ***** on here and regularly too.

Ambrose hadn't played for how long before coming here?

McGregor had just been freed

Bartley had reached the end of his contract

Classic making the "facts" fit your arguments

How do you think players are or become available?

They are either available as they have chosen to let their contracts run down (Bartley & McGinn) Aren't good enough to get a game for their parent club (McGeouch & Henderson) or are out of favour like the rest and their current club is prepared to do a deal.

It must have escaped your attention that we aren't Man City who can go and buy players at the top of their game for mega millions from their current clubs who are reluctant to lose their best players.

This is the pool that the vast bulk of Scottish Football teams fish in and like it or not you have to kiss an awful lot of frogs before you find a prince.

Hibs were awful again last night and there are plenty reasons to be concerned, but ill thought out tripe like this helps no-one.

We need to look at the Scandinavian market and other parts of Europe, too many obvious looking players from a pool everyone knows. I thought 2-3 Molde players looked very good.

Quote Originally Posted by BSEJVT View Post

They are either available as they have chosen to let their contracts run down (Bartley & McGinn) Aren't good enough to get a game for their parent club (McGeouch & Henderson) or are out of favour like the rest and their current club is prepared to do a deal.

It must have escaped your attention that we aren't Man City who can go and buy players at the top of their game for mega millions from their current clubs who are reluctant to lose their best players.

This is the pool that the vast bulk of Scottish Football teams fish in and like it or not you have to kiss an awful lot of frogs before you find a prince.

Hibs were awful again last night and there are plenty reasons to be concerned, but ill thought out tripe like this helps no-one.
    Ambrose was a regular starter for Celtic. They signed better defenders and he was left on the fringes. McGregor left Rangers with the player of the year award. It's irrelevant that he wasn't given a new deal, he played. And Bartley was a starter before he left. So no I'm not making facts up and if you read my post, it's a generalization. Signing players that are getting a game for there clubs regularly makes a lot more sense than signing players that don't.

@hibs.net private member R'Albin's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Razza96

Mallan
    Maclaren
    Flo
    Horgan
    Hyndman
    Agyepong
    Slivka
    Matulevicious
    Whittaker
    Milligan

I don't understand this post at all. The likes of Mallan, Slivka, Hyndeman and Agyepong are up and coming players, similar to Barker/McGeouch/Henderson. The only difference is that they haven't been as successful - for various reasons. McGinn was a bit different in that we paid a smaller club money for him, but he was a bit of a freak signing to be honest. I still don't know how we managed to get him.

Our main issue isn't recruitment at the moment. We were doing absolutely fine until Lennon started messing about with the team causing us to lose confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    We need to look at the Scandinavian market and other parts of Europe, too many obvious looking players from a pool everyone knows. I thought 2-3 Molde players looked very good.
    Agreed, more player like Niklas Gunnarsson please!

@hibs.net private member
    I don't really understand how you can make that point then include Kamberi, Mallan and Slivka on your first list, who were all around 21 when they signed for us.

You've then got Henderson, McGeouch and Barker on the other list of the kind of players we should be getting but none of them got a game for their clubs - that's why they've joined Hibs!

@hibs.net private member Greenworld's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BSEJVT View Post

I have to say I think the guy has a point . You have highlighted some players the better ones that were good signings but for all the spotlight put on the recruitment team you do wonder as to there worth.
    You cannot beat the experienced eyes of top scouts .
    Yes its good to use modern technology but we are bringing in some bang average players.
    The on loan guys are all injured or not playing most of the time .so i think your being a tad harsh to the poster

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Molde players will be getting paid way more than we can afford.

Left by mutual consent!

Mallan
    Maclaren
    Flo
    Horgan
    Hyndman
    Agyepong
    Slivka
    Matulevicious
    Whittaker
    Milligan

Recruitment has been very poor.

dylan made us tick. Linked play from defence to midfield then into your number 10. Who was recruited to do that ?

mcginn was a ball carrier. Got us up the pitch . Same question as above

Quote Originally Posted by Milkinho View Post
    Molde players will be getting paid way more than we can afford.
    It was more the standard I was on about, technically good and physically strong, there's more teams in Norway.

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    We're lacking someone who takes responsibility from the middle of the pitch forward, rather than outright ability. McGinn, Mcgeouch, Allan all demanded the ball. Even a reasonable spfl standard player who does that would improve the players around him a hell of a lot.

Blog Entries

Mallan
    Maclaren
    Flo
    Horgan
    Hyndman
    Agyepong
    Slivka
    Matulevicious
    Whittaker
    Milligan

By that rationale Scott Allan would never have pulled on a Hibs jersey.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by 500miles View Post
    We're lacking someone who takes responsibility from the middle of the pitch forward, rather than outright ability. McGinn, Mcgeouch, Allan all demanded the ball. Even a reasonable spfl standard player who does that would improve the players around him a hell of a lot.
    Been saying this for a while, we're really struggling in the centre of midfield when we're in possession, and we no longer have players in that area that take the game by the scruff of the neck.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member GreenLake's Avatar

Mallan
    Maclaren
    Flo
    Horgan
    Hyndman
    Agyepong
    Slivka
    Matulevicious
    Whittaker
    Milligan

Three of those couldn't get a game for their current clubs.

Would expect them to be on a lot higher wages than we could pay them here.

I genuinely don't think we've signed poor quality, I think we might have signed poor characters.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EH54 View Post
    I genuinely don't think we've signed poor quality, I think we might have signed poor characters.
    Funnily enough I thought last night when I was off to bed there’s more than a hint of when the end of Yogi was nigh. 4th placed finish, then signed poorly and dropped off a cliff. Players we had then had undoubted quality in flashes too.

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    Been saying this for a while, we're really struggling in the centre of midfield when we're in possession, and we no longer have players in that area that take the game by the scruff of the neck.
    Should our Board not have sanctioned a decent signing in that area then? Like maybe Alan?I

Or it was all nasty Celtic's fault that transfer didn't happen?

Quote Originally Posted by EH54 View Post
    Would expect them to be on a lot higher wages than we could pay them here.

Not every team and player, like here there's only a couple bigish clubs, we have to throw our net a bit further or relying on certain agent offering their clients, we need to start unearthing some gems like other teams seem to do.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Leither View Post
    Should our Board not have sanctioned a decent signing in that area then? Like maybe Alan?I

I don't know, to be perfectly honest.

I would think, though, that the board - having sanctioned (with Lennon's consent/blessing etc along with the recruitment team and so on) Mallan, Hyndman, Horgan, Agyepong, and Milligan, might have considered that Allan was a stretch too far - after all, the board will know exactly what we have to spend (I would think).

Do you know how far apart Hibs and Celtic were in their valuation of Allan?

Do you think it was all the nasty board's fault that the transfer didn't happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Leither View Post

The board seems to be escaping a lot of the criticism.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by pacoluna View Post
    They are, apart from all the posts criticising them.

Kamberi, Horgan, Milligan, Nelom, Mavrias, Mallan, all contracted with Agyepong, Hyndman and Maclaren all on loan deals, 9 players wages or part wages re loan players, I think the board have backed Lennon quite well, surely you have to question Lennon's recruitment and not the board's backing.

Also fees were payed for Mallen, Horgan and Kamberi.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Kamberi, Horgan, Milligan, Nelom, Mavrias, Mallan, all contracted with Agyepong, Hyndman and Maclaren all on loan deals, 9 players wages or part wages re loan players, I think the board have backed Lennon quite well, surely you have to question Lennon's recruitment and not the board's backing.

Also fees were payed for Mallen, Horgan and Kamberi.
    Unless we want the board picking the players or telling Lennon who to sign?

Between Lennon and the board, I know who I'd rather was deciding on the recruitment.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Criticism of what exactly? Fees paid for Mallan, Horgan and Kamberi. Whittaker, Ambrose, Milligan and McLaren ain't on peanuts. Loaners from two premier league clubs who won't be paying their whole wage.

Short of the chief exec scouting every player what more are they to do?