hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    First Team Breakthrough
    I'm backing the manager, I am unhappy at present with our current run of form over the past 2 months like everyone else. Lets hope that Neil has not lost the dressing room (my feeling, he has) and the players can pick up their confidence and play as a team again.

We need a win on Saturday and have some tough games this month, we have injury concerns like most teams and have a really good squad of players, a win could get us out of this very poor run, I never seen this coming, as we were doing really well until now.

Its ridiculous that some fans are calling for Neil Lennons head, lets wait until the end of January and see where we are. Its been a great time to be a Hibs fan over the past 3 years, and we had an excellent season last year, If things start to tick, and the dressing room has not been lost, we can get out of this hole and start to play good football again.

I'm right behind the manager and squad.
    Last edited by Allan45; 06-12-2018 at 08:50 AM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not as pathetic as constantly having a go at a Scottish cup winning club legend to make up for Lennons many shortfalls, of which those of us who’ve dared mention them (and been proven right) have gotten all sorts of stick.

Slagging off Stubbs is not a defence of Lennon outside his excellent one half of a season.
    Who's having a go at stubbs? I'm having a go at the likes of posters like you who keep on mentioning him when there's absolutely no reason to do so.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pacoluna View Post
    Who's having a go at stubbs? I'm having a go at the likes of posters like you who keep on mentioning him when there's absolutely no reason to do so.
    As soon as there’s justified criticism of Lennon the same arguments pop up on the board - but but but Falkirk/Butcher/Calderwood etc.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

No as mentioned before he got sacked by Rotherham and st mirren why the hell anyone would ever even consider him for the role again is mental. It's so chronic and boring the constant chat about him coming back it's like Riordan x1000000. ps I don't despise him.

Who has actually said he should cone back? All that's being said is he signed better players for hibs and done more for the club than Lennon has or will.

Quote Originally Posted by IGRIGI View Post
    Stubbs had us finish behind Falkirk, Falkirk FFS.

Anyone that wants a return to that wants their ****ing heid examined.
    Bit hard to return to that when we are a league above them isn't it? What are your thoughts on us currently languishing behind Livingston in the league? A smaller club than falkirk btw

Coaching Staff The Green Goblin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan45 View Post
    I'm backing the manager, I am unhappy at present with our current run of form over the past 2 months like everyone else. Lets hope that Neil has not lost the dressing room (my feeling, he has) and the players can pick up their confidence and play as a team again.

We need a win on Saturday and have some tough games this month, we have injury concerns like most teams and have a really good squad of players, a win could get us out of this very poor run, I never seen this coming, as we were doing really well until now.

Its ridiculous that some fans are calling for Neil Lennons head, lets wait until the end of January and see where we are. Its been a great time to be a Hibs fan over the past 3 years, and we had an excellent season last year, If things start to tick, and the dressing room has not been lost, we can get out of this hole and start to play good football again.

I'm right behind the manager and squad.
    End of January will be far too late if it doesn’t pick up. And when we get there, and if we are still struggling, we’ll be hearing “ah but who better to get us out of this than someone with Lennon’s experience and mentality”. This is not a go at you btw. My take fwiw is that something is clearly not right. I think this goes beyond the manager or individual players in terms of the approach that is required. If players aren’t being professional and doing their best, then they have to go. If the manager isn’t up for the fight, then he should go too (note: IF). Nobody is bigger than the club and nobody’s individual merits or otherwise are more important than the club’s progress, success and survival.

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Just like you mentioned Riordan when there was no need to.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Lose on Saturday and I think Leeann will have a decision to make

Do we stick with Lenny and give him our transfer kitty to blow in January or do we cut him loose?

Leeann is a hard nosed business woman and I think she can be quite ruthless if she has to

She will always put the club first

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Quote Originally Posted by The Green Goblin View Post
    End of January will be far too late if it doesn’t pick up. And when we get there, and if we are still struggling, we’ll be hearing “ah but who better to get us out of this than someone with Lennon’s experience and mentality”. This is not a go at you btw. My take fwiw is that something is clearly not right. I think this goes beyond the manager or individual players in terms of the approach that is required. If players aren’t being professional and doing their best, then they have to go. If the manager isn’t up for the fight, then he should go too (note: IF). Nobody is bigger than the club and nobody’s individual merits or otherwise are more important than the club’s progress, success and survival.
    This is absolutely correct and shouldn't need stating. The question is, what exactly is, or has been, going wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    How long does the slump have to continue before it becomes more relevant than what happened in bygone seasons? I'm not 'anti Neil Lennon' but I care primarily about the here and now and we are in total freefall.
    Very much this.

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Lose on Saturday and I think Leeann will have a decision to make

Do we stick with Lenny and give him our transfer kitty to blow in January or do we cut him loose?

Leeann is a hard nosed business woman and I think she can be quite ruthless if she has to

She will always put the club first
    I sort of agree but I think making the decision based on Saturday's result is just stupid. Dempster and the rest of the board should be well aware of exactly what's going on around the club. Either there are problems which NL is doing the right things to fix and they'll see that, or he's not in which case they have to decide if he's going to or not.

Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    This is absolutely correct and shouldn't need stating. The question is, what exactly is, or has been, going wrong?
    That's the 64,000 dollar question.

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    I sort of agree but I think making the decision based on Saturday's result is just stupid. Dempster and the rest of the board should be well aware of exactly what's going on around the club. Either there are problems which NL is doing the right things to fix and they'll see that, or he's not in which case they have to decide if he's going to or not.
    We have three points from twenty one lose on Saturday three from twenty four relegation standard maybe not so stupid

Maybe it will be time for everyone to wake up and smell the coffee before it is too late

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    We have three points from twenty one lose on Saturday three from twenty four relegation standard maybe not so stupid

Maybe it will be time for everyone to wake up and smell the coffee before it is too late
    Stupid too strong a word, sorry. But football is a strange game. NL could have totally chucked it and we could still scrape a win on Saturday. Or NL could have renewed determination and laser focus, the team could come storming out on Saturday and lose 1-0 to a fluke goal or a crap ref or whatever.

@hibs.net private member
    Who'd be a football manager eh? Neil with his high profile was widely regarded as the best thing to happen to us in years. Now he's being castigated for poor signings, not taking interviews, being cowardly etc. Whats that old fickle fitba fans quote again?!?
    I'd imagine those of us of a certain vintage have seen much worse than this poor run we're on at present. Iv'e no doubt Neil will turn this around, given the chance. Also, little doubt LD will have been monitoring the situation for a while now and will have plans to implement should the worst happens and the slump doesn't end at Hamilton on Sat.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooster View Post
    Unfortunately he has lost the dressing room with his eratic behaviours. The end is nigh.
    If that's the case then he will have to go soon but the players involved can go **** themselves. The last time a bunch of spoilt ********s masquerading as Hibs players downed tools we ended up spending three years in the Championship. The time before that, we ended up with a succession of pish managers.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    If that's the case then he will have to go soon but the players involved can go **** themselves. The last time a bunch of spoilt ********s masquerading as Hibs players downed tools we ended up spending three years in the Championship. The time before that, we ended up with a succession of pish managers.
    I would certainly hope that Hanlon and Stevenson, who were part of the relegation team, recognise the signs and pull up the rest of the players to let them know in no uncertain terms, that downing tools is unforgivable.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Harp View Post
    Who'd be a football manager eh? Neil with his high profile was widely regarded as the best thing to happen to us in years. Now he's being castigated for poor signings, not taking interviews, being cowardly etc. Whats that old fickle fitba fans quote again?!?
    I'd imagine those of us of a certain vintage have seen much worse than this poor run we're on at present. Iv'e no doubt Neil will turn this around, given the chance. Also, little doubt LD will have been monitoring the situation for a while now and will have plans to implement should the worst happens and the slump doesn't end at Hamilton on Sat.
    Obviously we all see things differently but I just cant see anything that leaves people in no doubt that this will be turned round by Lennon. He might well do it and hopefully he does starting Saturday but I just don’t know what people are seeing to be quite so confident of that.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    “The players involved can go **** themselves”. Terry Butcher mentality.

Something clearly is wrong and contented cows produce more milk in ANY work environment. Being dropped every second game, constant change of tactics, being hung out to dry in post match interviews- it’s the sort of thing that would get anyone down and downing of tools isn’t a conscious decision, it’s the way the human mind often works if you don’t think there’s likely to be a chance to change things.

Take Steve Clarke for example - smaller budget, lost Mulumbu but is a great man manager and top of the league. Players happy, as much continuity in the team as possible and results come from happy, motivated players.

We’ve had run ins on this before and I admire your staunch defence of him but ffs, stop looking at the smaller Neil Lennon picture and look at the bigger picture of the club. If one man is dragging the dressing room down and it then turns out they can’t turn it round - player or manager - there has to be a point that they are to detriment of our club which will ALWAYS be the most important thing.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    Stupid too strong a word, sorry. But football is a strange game. NL could have totally chucked it and we could still scrape a win on Saturday. Or NL could have renewed determination and laser focus, the team could come storming out on Saturday and lose 1-0 to a fluke goal or a crap ref or whatever.
    His body language last night in the dug out head bowed unshaven tells me he has chucked it even his trusted side kick Gary Parker is struggling to smoothe over the cracks there is something not right at Easter Road talk of him telling the players he is off in the Changing Room after St Johnstone and Kilmarnock do not fill me with much confidence either

Quote Originally Posted by Hibeesmad View Post
    Stubbs will always be a legend for winning the Scottish Cup. However he couldn’t get us to a play off final after 2 seasons in the championship. Since he has left he has been sacked by Rotherham and St Mirren.
    Stubbs had a chance to get into the English Championship and then possibly to the EPL but the worst choice of team so he was on a hiding to at nothing at Rotherham who had the smallest budget and given no time. As for St Mirren it was a disgrace how he was treated.

Gamer IDs

Absolutely correct. I remember it all vividly and I never, ever want us to go back to that again. IF he's lost the dressing room then he's got a very limited time to either get it back or leave. IF.

But any player downing tools - ANY of them - can GTF as far as I'm concerned.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Absolutely correct. I remember it all vividly and I never, ever want us to go back to that again. IF he's lost the dressing room then he's got a very limited time to either get it back or leave. IF.

But any player downing tools - ANY of them - can GTF as far as I'm concerned.
    Thing is though I don’t think anyone will ever win a changing room back after losing it. IF he has lost it then we’d be wasting our time trying to allow him to rectify it. As would any club who’s manager has lost the dressing room, not just us.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Thing is though I don’t think anyone will ever win a changing room back after losing it. IF he has lost it then we’d be wasting our time trying to allow him to rectify it. As would any club who’s manager has lost the dressing room, not just us.

Probably correct but it would depend upon why and which players are the problem. Getting rid of Stokes and his disruptive effect on others seemed to improve things. That's IF the dressing room issue is the case.

I'm not sure he has lost the dressing room, it looks a lot more like they have all pished the confidence out of themselves and the question is how do you get that back. For a team that some are arguing may have downed tools we actually had passages last night that weren't too bad and certainly where the players looked like they had appetite, which is what makes me think the dressing room angle isn't it.

In fact the more I think about it the more I think the contrast between the last seven games and prior to that has been a hellish combination of:

injuries and/or lack of match fitness
    inconsistent team selection and formation (whether forced or by choice)
    loss of key player confidence/form (Kamberi the most obvious example)
    the Tynecastle incident acting as a distraction for Lennon at the worst possible time
    genuinely bad luck
    meeting teams coming into some seriously good form - eg St Johnstone and Kilmarnock
    slapstick defensive error goals

If I'm right then any kind of a win would do wonders. If I'm not it's a whole other scenario...

Left by mutual consent!
    Mark Atko: “ I’ve not heard of any unrest in the dressing-room. The players got a 45-minute grilling after the match, but Lennon is respected by the squad. They want to do well for him. The bigger question is whether that continues if the bad results keep coming ... “

Quote Originally Posted by The Harp View Post
    complacent AF

unless he has a serious shake, lennon will be heavily outshone by Steven Gerrard in a couple of weeks time

the away end doing aeroplanes & giving him it tight

right now he gives me zéro confidence he can prépare à team to compete at a time when kilmarnock are top of the league,

Probably correct but it would depend upon why and which players are the problem. Getting rid of Stokes and his disruptive effect on others seemed to improve things. That's IF the dressing room issue is the case.

I'm not sure he has lost the dressing room, it looks a lot more like they have all pished the confidence out of themselves and the question is how do you get that back. For a team that some are arguing may have downed tools we actually had passages last night that weren't too bad and certainly where the players looked like they had appetite, which is what makes me think the dressing room angle isn't it.

In fact the more I think about it the more I think the contrast between the last seven games and prior to that has been a hellish combination of:

injuries and/or lack of match fitness
    inconsistent team selection and formation (whether forced or by choice)
    loss of key player confidence/form (Kamberi the most obvious example)
    the Tynecastle incident acting as a distraction for Lennon at the worst possible time
    genuinely bad luck
    meeting teams coming into some seriously good form - eg St Johnstone and Kilmarnock
    slapstick defensive error goals

If I'm right then any kind of a win would do wonders. If I'm not it's a whole other scenario...
    Meeting teams in good form.. you mention st Johnstone and rightly so. Would have been easy for them to sack Wright after their more than sticky spell during Jan/Feb though. Just shows you that the simple conclusion of getting ride isn't always the correct decision.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Springbank View Post
    complacent AF

unless he has a serious shake, lennon will be heavily outshone by Steven Gerrard in a couple of weeks time

the away end doing aeroplanes & giving him it tight

right now he gives me zéro confidence he can prépare à team to compete at a time when kilmarnock are top of the league,
    No, not complacent at all. I'm as concerned as anyone at our recent slump.
    Were you happy with NL's appointment and with the performances of the team prior to this period without a win?
    How many of us haven't had a time when things have gone wrong for us in the workplace? Pretty damn few I would imagine.
    Some of us just want to give him the chance to get us back on track, imho he has the ability to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    “The players involved can go **** themselves”. Terry Butcher mentality.

Something clearly is wrong and contented cows produce more milk in ANY work environment. Being dropped every second game, constant change of tactics, being hung out to dry in post match interviews- it’s the sort of thing that would get anyone down and downing of tools isn’t a conscious decision, it’s the way the human mind often works if you don’t think there’s likely to be a chance to change things.

Take Steve Clarke for example - smaller budget, lost Mulumbu but is a great man manager and top of the league. Players happy, as much continuity in the team as possible and results come from happy, motivated players.

We’ve had run ins on this before and I admire your staunch defence of him but ffs, stop looking at the smaller Neil Lennon picture and look at the bigger picture of the club. If one man is dragging the dressing room down and it then turns out they can’t turn it round - player or manager - there has to be a point that they are to detriment of our club which will ALWAYS be the most important thing.
    You’ve been a bit mean to me on many occasions but I think comparing my mindset to that of Terry Butcher might be the meanest yet. Can you not go back to calling me a **** or a ****er?

Incidentally, most of my posts about Lennon are a response to the over the top opinions of him (on both sides of the extremes tbf). Recently, I’ve posted that he’s ‘fine’, ‘not as clever as he thinks he is’ and needs to go soon.

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Obviously we all see things differently but I just cant see anything that leaves people in no doubt that this will be turned round by Lennon. He might well do it and hopefully he does starting Saturday but I just don’t know what people are seeing to be quite so confident of that.
    I didn't think we eould fail to beat St Mirren so I don't think anyone can really be that confident now if they are being honest We are hoping something changes but the Msnagement Yesm are now getting exacerbated so clearly don't know how to sort things

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter View Post
    You make good points, a few I could reply to with the opposing side. Only one I think that is worthwhile is: do you think Lennon and the recruitment team have done a good job replacing McGinn and McGeouch? I don’t mean in terms of quality, I’m talking balance of the midfield. Mallan is good but he is looking awful at the moment and hasn’t contributed much from open play.

We all knew we’d miss McGinns drive in midfield, out of Hyndman, Milligan, Bartley, Mallan, Slivka...which one of them could you see driving the team forward? I see them doing a lot of sideways passing and lack of movement off the ball. We can’t play 442 or anything similar as we quite simply cannot have 2 midfielders in the centre that can contribute at both ends of the pitch. Mallan is shattered at 70mins and cannot tackle, Milligan barely makes it over the half way line before he has a nose bleed.

We had to wait on 2 work permits for 1 injured player on loan, and 1 Australian international that just looks ok, not great. We then signed a lb and rb that have collectively played 3 games I think even though our club captain is essentially finished.

Reason we cannot put a settled team is because of poor recruitment.
    1. I am the first to concede that we have not replaced the midfield balance we had last season. Neil Lennon himself has as good as said that.

2. Unfortunately, we do not have a midfielder on our books who can, indeed, wants to "drive us forward" - thus my emphasis on Neil Lennon getting such a player (or two) in the January window

3. I have also been vocal about "poor recruitment" and have been as frustrated as anyone re signing crocks and has-beens (Whittaker) and players who can't get near the first team.

I balance this against Neil Lennon having a successful and season-changing last January transfer window - where he recruited well and got the balance right and where it all came together for us to enjoy football that was right up there along with the best some of us have witnessed in our lifetime...and I go right back to Turnbull's Tornadoes.