hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Quote Originally Posted by HFCEighteen75 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think Lennon might have got us up in 2016 through the play-offs, but he would not have won got us to both cup finals in the same season as Stubbs did. And, in the long term, winning the Scottish Cup will forever be what is remembered and is the most important moment in our club's recent history.
    Again, this is mere conjecture....taking us into the land of hypotheticals and fantasy.

Neil Lennon was not our manager...and if I play your game for a second...then I could equally state that Neil Lennon would have got us promoted at the expense of either Hearts or Sevco, or won us the treble in 2016 of promotion as champions, The League Cup and The Scottish Cup

See how ridiculous it is to fantasise!

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Lennon's Lip View Post
    Again, this is mere conjecture....taking us into the land of hypotheticals and fantasy.

Neil Lennon was not our manager...and if I play your game for a second...then I could equally state that Neil Lennon would have got us promoted at the expense of either Hearts or Sevco, or won us the treble in 2016 of promotion as champions, The League Cup and The Scottish Cup

Neil Lennon would not have got us to both cup finals because he is a poor cup manager. Alan Stubbs is one of the best cup managers in Britain.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lennon's Lip View Post

Lennon only got 1pt more than Stubbs in an easier league. That’s not conjecture.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    Lennon only got 1pt more than Stubbs in an easier league. That’s not conjecture.
    And also got a record points total in a far more difficult league.

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post

This is all getting very complicated and is giving me a headache.

I've actually lost track of what the argument was by now anyway

@hibs.net private member Johnny_Leith's Avatar
    Neil Lennon would not have got us to both cup finals because he is a poor cup manager. Alan Stubbs is one of the best cup managers in Britain.
    Haha what? I can't believe stuff like this isn't satirical.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Leith View Post

The ‘one of’ qualification is taking the p***.

Stubbs is the greatest cup manager of the past century. Surely no one can disagree with that?

The silence from our manager is deafening at the moment. Something badly wrong about that in itself.

Left by mutual consent!
    Alan Stubbs is a pish league manager who's been sacked at two of the three clubs he's been at it

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    There’s no comparison to be had with Stubbs in that respect though. I’m taking the two back to back seasons.

I honestly think with the squad we had the team of Stubbs, Holden and Doolan would have done the same. Only top flight team they lost to over 90 minutes was Ross County with a horrendous injury list in midfield.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    The silence from our manager is deafening at the moment. Something badly wrong about that in itself.
    First things first let’s hope he’s okay!

Has there been a Friday presser?

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    First things first let’s hope he’s okay!

Has there been a Friday presser?
    Yes. Garry Parker and Oli Shaw done it.

First Team Breakthrough
    He still has full support from me. I'm optimistic we are going to win tomorrow and start turning things around. Go Hibs!

Neil Lennon is regarded as a poor cup manager by Celtic fans, and with good reason.

In 4 full seasons as Celtic manager, he won just two cups. In his first season he lost to second tier Ross County in the semi final too. Given that, for 3 season, Rangers were in financial meltdown, it is shocking that he didn't even come close to a treble once. The nearest he got was 2012, when he lost to Kilmarnock in the Final and Hearts in the Semi Final.

His cup record at Hibs has been similarly underwhelming. An abject defeat at home to Queen of the South in the League Cup, a fourth round exit to Hearts, a penalty shootout defeat to Aberdeen having dominated them. He has reached two semi finals, losing them both. The first with a terribly set up team in a 3-2 defeat against Aberdeen in the semi final (Lennon took no blame for this IIRC), and the second being a 4-2 defeat against Rodgers' Celtic, which is fair enough.

So please, correct me. If I'm as wildly wrong as you claim, it should be easy, right?

Quote Originally Posted by cleanyman View Post
    Alan Stubbs is a pish league manager who's been sacked at two of the three clubs he's been at it
    Neil Lennon mustered one more point than a "pish league manager" who managed Hibs in two, much stronger Championships. Have a bit of respect for the man who gave us the greatest footballing moment of our lives.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanyman View Post

Wash your mouth out with soap.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Neil Lennon mustered one more point than a "pish league manager" who managed Hibs in two, much stronger Championships. Have a bit of respect for the man who gave us the greatest footballing moment of our lives.
    Stop with this "one more point" pish.

Its like matchplay in golf - the score is irrelevant, winning the league is all that counts.

Love Stubbs for winning the cup, but as a league manager he failed, and not just with us.

Personally, I think the bizarre situation on the forum right now is due in part to people totally over reacting and losing faith too quickly (I.e Lennon still has my full support). But also because of how over the top many people were about him in the first place.

The “enjoy him while he’s here” and “best manager we’ve ever had” thread titles and posts occurred weekly only a couple of months ago.

It could be said that this place recently is one of the best examples of “fickle football fans” you’ll find.

One of the reasons I did not respond to that particular post.

It's hard to argue with an anti-Lennon supporter who turns "conjecture" into "fact" in their own head.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post

Its like matchplay in golf - the score is irrelevant, winning the league is all that counts.

Love Stubbs for winning the cup, but as a league manager he failed, and not just with us.
    While that's absolutely true, the fact we got one more point tells more of a story than just "we won the league".

If a team finishes 2nd on 90 points but then finishes top a few seasons later with 60 points, what ones the better side?

People aren't debating whether Lennon won the league or not, he did, but he only done marginally better over the 36 games than Stubbs did. The other teams just weren't as good as previous seasons.

Will Lennon be looked upon as a failed league manager if he gets sacked by us? That would be two sackings in a row, both of them pretty much based on league form. I wouldn't see him as one btw, but I also wouldn't view Stubbs as one based on taking a job that was a hiding to nothing down south and getting 4 league games at St Mirren.
    Last edited by calumhibee1; 07-12-2018 at 09:29 PM.

To clarify my position on this, when things are going well for Hibs, Neil Lennon is a better manager at Hibs than Alan Stubbs ever was. Of that there is no doubt for me.

However, Stubbs could bring Hibs back from the dead in a way that Lennon seems incapable of. When we lost four in a row in the Championship in February/March 2016, and then were cruelly beaten in the League Cup Final, what did Stubbs do? He took us up to Inverness for the Scottish Cup replay three days later and got us through.

Under Lennon, before this dire run, we've had one poor spell last winter (where we lost to St Johnstone, drew with Accies, lost to Rangers and lost 4-1 at Aberdeen in the space of about six games), and it took a winter break and a transfer window for Hibs to properly recover.

I hope I'm wrong, I would love to be proved wrong, but I do not see Lennon pulling Hibs back from this.

Edit: What definitely doesn't help, going forward, is a select few fans on here sticking their head in the sand and insisting that Neil Lennon has a winning mentality despite very little evidence suggesting he does. A 'winner' would've got us to a cup final by now at the very least, surely?
    I remember that abysmal run under Alan Stubbs and have still not got over the fact that his team could not win that damn league cup final against Ross County.
    This remains a blot on Stubbsy's copy book.
    On that occasion he "Did not bring Hibs back from the dead", nor did he bring Hibs back from the dead against Falkirk in the play offs or, indeed, league placings.
    The Scottish Cup win put all these in the shade and he was forgiven by many for that glorious May day.
    To now attack Lennon's record by comparing it to Stubbsy's is, frankly, ludicrous.

Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post

I agree that the "one more point" thing isn't relevant all the time, but it definitely is when somebody has the gall to call Stubbs a "pish league manager" when Lennon did only get one more point.

@hibs.net private member Johnny_Leith's Avatar
    Neil Lennon is regarded as a poor cup manager by Celtic fans, and with good reason.

In 4 full seasons as Celtic manager, he won just two cups. In his first season he lost to second tier Ross County in the semi final too. Given that, for 3 season, Rangers were in financial meltdown, it is shocking that he didn't even come close to a treble once. The nearest he got was 2012, when he lost to Kilmarnock in the Final and Hearts in the Semi Final.

His cup record at Hibs has been similarly underwhelming. An abject defeat at home to Queen of the South in the League Cup, a fourth round exit to Hearts, a penalty shootout defeat to Aberdeen having dominated them. He has reached two semi finals, losing them both. The first with a terribly set up team in a 3-2 defeat against Aberdeen in the semi final (Lennon took no blame for this IIRC), and the second being a 4-2 defeat against Rodgers' Celtic, which is fair enough.

So please, correct me. If I'm as wildly wrong as you claim, it should be easy, right?
    The closest Lennon came to the domestic treble was 2013, when he won the league and Scottish cup against Hibs. That's closer only winning the league.

You state Stubbsy is one of the best cup managers in British, and then list all Lennon's failing as a domestic cup manager (don't forget he has a far more extensive record in European cup formats, including a champs league last 16) but don't list Stubbs failings as a domestic cup manager(not listing knockout formats like the playoffs, in which we were very poor).

I've no idea if Stubbs has even won a cup fixture since that glorious day? Listen, I'll always love Stubbsy for that day, but the accomplishment is as much a statement of the generally poor management of our club over 114 years than it is him being the next guardiola.

For me, Lennon is a cut above in management terms. More experienced (at a higher level), track record of developing players into top class players and had created a winning attitude that hopefully will return soon.

Left by mutual consent!
    We go again next week. In Lenny we trust

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Leagues apart, literally tho. Euro run doesn’t count and should be ignored in the final analysis.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Left by mutual consent!
    Next please. In Lenny we trust