This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes, but is his widow?

No

2. Log in to remove the advert

Elephant Stone
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by SRHibs View Post
    Of course racism is objectively worse, but things are more offensive when they're personal. I just think it's completely out of sync with this "Hibs Class" tag line people seem to throw around on here.
    It's definitely not a classy song but at worst it's crass. I probably wouldn't sing it myself these days but wouldn't expect people who do sing it to say nothing if they saw someone being racially abused because they are equally as bad and forbidden to object to racism as a consequence. Beyond moronic thing to say.

@hibs.net private member SRHibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Limit Break PSN ID: cyniUK
    Quote Originally Posted by Elephant Stone View Post
    but wouldn't expect people who do sing it to say nothing if they saw someone being racially abused because they are equally as bad and forbidden to object to racism as a consequence.
    Beyond moronic thing to say.
    What a leap that is.

Elephant Stone
    Left by mutual consent!
    What a leap that is.
    A leap from what?

Gamer IDs

A leap from what?
    From your lack of reading comprehension I guess. Which part of "racism is of course objectively worse" didn't you manage to grasp? The point is that the song serves to do nothing but offend his family who are left - especially the one with lines about his widow in it. When things are personal they are going to be more offensive than general bigotry.

Sing it if you want. Hibs class and all that eh.

Elephant Stone
    Left by mutual consent!
    From your lack of reading comprehension I guess. Which part of "racism is of course objectively worse" didn't you manage to grasp? The point is that the song serves to do nothing but offend his family who are left - especially the one with lines about his widow in it. When things are personal they are going to be more offensive than general bigotry.

Sing it if you want. Hibs class and all that eh.
    Ha, some tone pal. I'm talking about the post I originally quoted when you challenged me.

Gamer IDs

Ha, some tone pal. I'm talking about the post I originally quoted when you challenged me.
    Fair do's. Apologies!

Elephant Stone
    Left by mutual consent!
    Fair do's. Apologies!

@hibs.net private member JohnMcM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    This has been brought up just now to nothing but **** stir and troll.
    Looks like that goal has been achieved within normal time.

You know, despite having been at a number of away games this season, I'm still not sure what the Mercer Song is (I honestly can't make out the words any more :-) )

What tune is it sung to?

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMcM View Post
    Looks like that goal has been achieved within normal time.

Yep. Fair play to the **** stirrer.

How, if any of you that are ‘embarrassed’ or offended by the song we’re tbere, did you guys feel the day of the minutes silence at tynie?

Guess that was equally as ‘crass’ and ‘offensive’ to disrespect a dead man like that?

Man was a coward and vile towards hibs, I’m not going to be sympathetic to him or his family.

Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    You know, despite having been at a number of away games this season, I'm still not sure what the Mercer Song is (I honestly can't make out the words any more :-) )

What tune is it sung to?
    Glad it's not just me!

First Team Breakthrough
    Me too, heard ive heard it briefly a couple away trips this season but I've no idea about lyrics or musical score 😉

Quote Originally Posted by May2116 View Post
    How, if any of you that are ‘embarrassed’ or offended by the song we’re tbere, did you guys feel the day of the minutes silence at tynie?

Guess that was equally as ‘crass’ and ‘offensive’ to disrespect a dead man like that?

Man was a coward and vile towards hibs, I’m not going to be sympathetic to him or his family.
    I for one am delighted I was there that day and got to make my feelings about the horrible, greasy FTB known to the watching puddle drinking hoardes.

@hibs.net private member JohnMcM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by May2116 View Post

I must confess, I do not understand the point you are trying to make.

I also confess that as a Hibs fan, you're tirade embarrasses me and makes me think that there is something seriously, very seriously wrong with the mentality of some factions of our beautiful team's support.

Let it go my friend, it's been, it's done and gone. There's no need to prolong the sadness of Mr Mercer's family. We are here, we are Hibs, we live and go on.

Last edited by JohnMcM; 05-12-2018 at 06:33 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    I sing the song every day at home just to cheer me up, and i will join in every time its sung at a Hibs game.
    And there in lies the problem.

I never realised there were new words, I'm happy enough with the old words though.

Blog Entries
    Personally I wouldn’t ever be moved to sing about a person like Mercer who tried and failed to destroy our club - I would just despise him quietly from afar. What I would say, however, is that the ‘faults, connivance and ill-intentions’ of an individual should not be forgiven because he is now dead. A very extreme example, but illustrating the sentiment, is Adolph Hitler. Did his death obliterate and whitewash his evil acts?

Testimonial Due
    Singing this type of song at matches is not great, but, how many of our players have realistily even heard of him?
    I think we would be better singing to help the players find their form, not listening to something that most or all no nothing about!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasAgyepong View Post
    During the match the singing section starting singing that dreadful song. “Wallace Mercer’s dead”, load of Sh*t if I’m honest with you. When the team are 2-0 down do you not thing we should be trying out best to motivate the lads? I suggest whenever we sing that song we try our best to drown it out with a proper Hibs song that’s surely better than that P*sh. We are currently playing sh*t so we should sing songs about HIBS and not Wallace Mercer.
    Are we talking the legendary original version or the more unsavoury new version referencing his widow?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMcM View Post
    I must confess, I do not understand the point you are trying to make.

I also confess that as a Hibs fan, you're tirade embarrasses me and makes me think that there is something seriously, very seriously wrong with the mentality of some factions of our beautiful team's support.

Let it go my friend, it's been, it's done and gone. There's no need to prolong the sadness of Mr Mercer's family. We are here, we are Hibs, we live and go on.

Your easily embarrassed, probably says more about you. I really couldn’t care less about the sadness his family feel. Had he succeeded, would they have cared a jot about our sadness? Absolutely not.

Quite a simple point I made in that I guarantee there’s plenty on here bemoaning that song that we’re giving it yaldy in the roseburn that day.

Your right, we are here, and that fat Tory welt is not. Good riddance.

I hated the *******. What I can't understand is why any Hibs fans would want to sing his name? It can only be daft wee laddies who weren't around at the time, because those of us who were can hardly bear to utter the man's name without throwing up. He's deid. Leave him there.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasAgyepong View Post
    During the match the singing section starting singing that dreadful song. “Wallace Mercer’s dead”, load of Sh*t if I’m honest with you. When the team are 2-0 down do you not thing we should be trying out best to motivate the lads? I suggest whenever we sing that song we try our best to drown it out with a proper Hibs song that’s surely better than that P*sh. We are currently playing sh*t so we should sing songs about HIBS and not Wallace Mercer.
    this song is dreadful i much prefer the "WALLACE MERCER SIX FEET UNDER" one.
    Last edited by Connollys11; 05-12-2018 at 09:31 PM.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    I hope the **** comes back to life so I can celebrate his death a second time.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    I hope the **** comes back to life so I can celebrate his death a second time.

@hibs.net private member
    That man is the only man I have ever hated after he tried to kill our club he was a FTB who thought we would roll over and die I spent many a long night burning the midnight oil at the time trying to help save the club I love I ever fell out with relatives at the time who I've only just recently got back talking with because of him he caused so much grief to many a family I will never forgive him if people want to sing about him its fine by me let's not forget he tried to kill us I'm sorry it's maybe a generation thing but I will never forget or forgive him for what he done to me and my family or what he tried to do to the club I love.

GGTTH

Arrogant man who dosen't deserve any recognition. We won, he failed. That's his legacy, leave it at that.

Quote Originally Posted by SideBurns View Post
    I hated the *******. What I can't understand is why any Hibs fans would want to sing his name? It can only be daft wee laddies who weren't around at the time, because those of us who were can hardly bear to utter the man's name without throwing up. He's deid. Leave him there.
    This. I've heard my old mans tales of the hurt this man brought. I hate him for that. But Mercer was so arrogant that he wanted his name written into history. Lets not give him the notorious reputation he craved. As i said, we won, he lost.

Left by mutual consent! Fife-Hibee's Avatar
    We sing songs about a man who tried to destroy our club and even go so far to sing songs involving his family members. Why don't we ever sing derogatory songs about people who contributed to the deaths of thousands of people, such as evil dictators and b*****d politicians?

Mercer was vile. But there has been far more vile people throughout history and we don't feel the need to sing songs about them. The man is long dead, I really wish the songs would die as well.