hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    First Team Breakthrough

Team as soft as Sh***.

I remember when Neil Lennon took over he said that Hibs had a reputation for being soft.
    He said that under his tenure that would no longer be the case.
    Well I am afraid this team are far too soft.
    Look at the Dundee game for the 1st. goal Boyle should have brought the Dundee player down leading up to the 1st. goal.
    Hanlon has cost us 2 goals in the last 2 games with being too soft.
    We need a lot more dig in our play.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member R'Albin's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Razza96
    Quote Originally Posted by SaulGoodman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ok

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by 7heaven View Post
    I remember when Neil Lennon took over he said that Hibs had a reputation for being soft.
    He said that under his tenure that would no longer be the case.
    Well I am afraid this team are far too soft.
    Look at the Dundee game for the 1st. goal Boyle should have brought the Dundee player down leading up to the 1st. goal.
    Hanlon has cost us 2 goals in the last 2 games with being too soft.
    We need a lot more dig in our play.

Hanlon has been at fault for three goals in the last he last two games but your right, we are soft as *****.

I don't think Hanlon was even that bad for the first. There was absolutely no one in the middle covering. About 15 defenders playing and no one tracks the run. McGregor and Porteous for the 2nd.

Most teams have bad spells....u just get on with it and stop ****ing moaning

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZYHIBBY View Post
    Most teams have bad spells....u just get on with it and stop ****ing moaning
    Agreed look at Man Utd for example

Quote Originally Posted by Weegreenman View Post
    Hanlon has been at fault for three goals in the last he last two games but your right, we are soft as *****.
    Hanlon against Dundee was at fault for both goals and nearly a third! Against Killie what a poor effort to defend the cross coming in! This and in midfield is where we need to be smarter and shove/push/kick/barge/pull shirts/take players out etc !!!

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lang Toun hibby View Post
    Hanlon against Dundee was at fault for both goals and nearly a third! Against Killie what a poor effort to defend the cross coming in! This and in midfield is where we need to be smarter and shove/push/kick/barge/pull shirts/take players out etc !!!
    Dundees second goal was purely down to Milligan losing the ball in midfield (he did the very same thing a minute later). Hanlon wouldnt have had to get involved if Milligan hadnt lost the ball cheaply in the first place, but maybe Milligan is beyond criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    Dundees second goal was purely down to Milligan losing the ball in midfield (he did the very same thing a minute later). Hanlon wouldnt have had to get involved if Milligan hadnt lost the ball cheaply in the first place, but maybe Milligan is beyond criticism.
    I have no problem criticising Millgan he has been very poor the last two games. However no matter what happens in the build up I expect my defender to get close and not move out of the way like the parting of the red sea

All down to character, was listening to carragher etc today and they mentioned arsenal how they've been a soft touch for years..but today they were right in spurs faces. For example when dier scored. They don't accept losing now. Mcginn done a lot of that last season. No one is doing it now.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    I don't think Hanlon was even that bad for the first. There was absolutely no one in the middle covering. About 15 defenders playing and no one tracks the run. McGregor and Porteous for the 2nd.

Hanlons attempt to clear the ball on Saturday for the first goal was shocking, he should have put it out for a corner instead of trying to play football in his own box. Wtf was he even doing on the right side of the box at that point?

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Hanlons attempt to clear the ball on Saturday for the first goal was shocking, he should have put it out for a corner instead of trying to play football in his own box. Wtf was he even doing on the right side of the box at that point?
    Everyone else was totally missing, that's why. It wasn't shocking, don't talk rubbish. He could've done better but with 2 other central defenders and 2 defensive midfielders totally missing in the middle I find it hard to blame Hanlon for simply letting a cross in. Hibs got a few crosses/cutbacks in,they didn't automatically result in goals.

Paul Hanlon trying to play football gains us alot more than it costs us.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Everyone else was totally missing, that's why. It wasn't shocking, don't talk rubbish. He could've done better but with 2 other central defenders and 2 defensive midfielders totally missing in the middle I find it hard to blame Hanlon for simply letting a cross in. Hibs got a few crosses/cutbacks in,they didn't automatically result in goals.

Paul Hanlon trying to play football gains us alot more than it costs us.
    I was right in line with it - it was shocking defending and he knew it.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    I think because we are so lightweight in the middle of the park, the defenders are being drawn all over the place with midfielders and forwards finding so much space while un marked in our final third.

People are going way overboard about some of our players, this player is sheite and he's sheite, our problems start and finish with our midfield, and that needs sorting in January.

And in the meantime, Bartley needs to play just to make us harder to get through than we currently are.

Spot on. We are easy to play against. No tackling and no pressure on the ball. Hanlon is the biggest culprit, I wish he would just clatter someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooster View Post
    Spot on. We are easy to play against. No tackling and no pressure on the ball. Hanlon is the biggest culprit, I wish he would just clatter someone.
    We put plenty of pressure on the ball and dive in all the time like idiots. McGregor especially. I'd prefer Hanlon defended well (like he generally does) along with the others.

@hibs.net private member hibbymick's Avatar
    The first goal on Saturday was a shocker to lose. Poor defending from Hanlon.... and Milligan and Ambrose can clearly see the guy making the run and made no attempt to pick him up.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    “It has been proven that berating the team and telling them ‘how it is’ gets results. Always”.

Man-management made Simple - The former manager and now pundit T. Butcher
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

The defending was very poor, but Killie repeatedly managed to get into positions that forced us to make mistakes, positions we failed to get into at the other end.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    I think because we are so lightweight in the middle of the park, the defenders are being drawn all over the place with midfielders and forwards finding so much space while un marked in our final third.

People are going way overboard about some of our players, this player is sheite and he's sheite, our problems start and finish with our midfield, and that needs sorting in January.

And in the meantime, Bartley needs to play just to make us harder to get through than we currently are.
    First names on the team sheet for Wednesday should be SDG and Bartley

Unfortunately just a shame Bartley has gone down with a mystery injury just now at a time when we need him most to plug the gaps in midfield

We put plenty of pressure on the ball and dive in all the time like idiots. McGregor especially. I'd prefer Hanlon defended well (like he generally does) along with the others.
    Diving in like idiots isn't putting pressure on the ball. Diving in like idiots makes it easy for opponents to get past you. Hibs don't press teams anywhere on the pitch which makes it easy for teams. Hanlon never lays a glove on opponents which makes him easy to play against. We are as soft as.....which is the point the OP is making.

Diving in like idiots isn't putting pressure on the ball. Diving in like idiots makes it easy for opponents to get past you. Hibs don't press teams anywhere on the pitch which makes it easy for teams. Hanlon never lays a glove on opponents which makes him easy to play against. We are as soft as.....which is the point the OP is making.
    I really don't care what point the op is making. Hanlon isn't easy to play against, he's a brilliant defender who has had 2 poor games. The best defenders in the world aren't the ones smashing opponents, they are the ones who read the game well, anticipate play and recover the ball without touching the opponent.

Defending properly is what we're missing, this "soft as ****" patter reminds me of Terry butcher. As if being hard makes you a good side.

I really don't care what point the op is making. Hanlon isn't easy to play against, he's a brilliant defender who has had 2 poor games. The best defenders in the world aren't the ones smashing opponents, they are the ones who read the game well, anticipate play and recover the ball without touching the opponent.

Defending properly is what we're missing, this "soft as ****" patter reminds me of Terry butcher. As if being hard makes you a good side.
    I'm glad your not our defensive coach given your recent comments about our defenders. Opponents rub their hands when up against Hanlon as they know they won't get touched, Dundee and Killie strikers in the last week for example. We need to toughen up.

I'm glad your not our defensive coach given your recent comments about our defenders. Opponents rub their hands when up against Hanlon as they know they won't get touched, Dundee and Killie strikers in the last week for example. We need to toughen up.
    What recent comments? Defenders don't rub their hands against Hanlon because he wins far more battles than he loses.

He's had 2 poor games but was in brilliant form before that. We don't need to toughen up, we need to play and defend better.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Hanlon needs a run in the wee team to get his mojo back imho!

There is a severe lack of confidence just now, yes Hanlon hasn't covered himself in glory recently but he'll get back to it.

The current situation of constantly chopping and changing the defence is more than likely the reason we are so poor at the back just now, nobody is getting a run in the same shape week in week out.

You can also ask questions of recruitment in the problem right back area, no one signed as cover at the start of the season for the continually injured David Gray and Harry nowhere to be seen seen thus far.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent!

Disagree strongly. Hanlon was absolutely awful for the first goal. How you can say he wasn’t that bad is beyond me. Beaten far too easily. McGregor didn’t cover himself in glory either. The players really need to up their game or we will be in real trouble very soon.

Disagree strongly. Hanlon was absolutely awful for the first goal. How you can say he wasn’t that bad is beyond me. Beaten far too easily. McGregor didn’t cover himself in glory either. The players really need to up their game or we will be in real trouble very soon.
    He has to be at the wind up. His take on things are so far removed from anyone else's each week that he has to be on the wind.

Right but it's not like the guy who beat Hanlon scored. There is still a cutback to defended.

Hanlon got blamed last week for not defending the ball in the middle and this week for not stop the cross. In reality, it's both the man who let the cross in and the man in the middle. He isn't solely to blame for either.

McGregor diving in when we're already 1-0 down is much worse.