hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Midfield

Forgot all about hyndman. Where's oil shaw aswell? Lennon just picks the names out a hat I think. Nelom and harry the Greek not in the squad either. His signings are abysmal. Think I'm ranting on every post, so emotional right now haha.

2. Log in to remove the advert

The midfield are all too similar unfortunately

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Boyle, said it before, championship player at best, shown up again by a defence playing for the bottom team. Can't beat a man and can't cross or pass a ball. He gets an easy ride on here Pish!

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Milligan seems to be getting a bit of an easy ride despite being our worst midfielder by a mile. Gave it away constantly and was so far off the pace.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Boyle, said it before, championship player at best, shown up again by a defence playing for the bottom team. Can't beat a man and can't cross or pass a ball. He gets an easy ride on here Pish!
    Agreed . Thought he was slightly better today than last 6 or 7 matches but only cause we were playing worse team in the division . Effective against bottom 6 or lower or as late sub against tiring teams . Lots of threads having a go at new signings but I think it`s players like Boyle and Kamberi who impressed last season but aren`t producing the goods who`re letting us down .

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Totally disagree, good player in the right position and system.

My issue this season is the system and personal we have. Last year, played 352 and due to a great midfield created loads of chances that were converted by a good front pair. We still shipped goals but made up for that on chances created.
    This season, same system not supported by the same midfield and we don't score or create enough...still shipping goals playing this way. Boyle plays well as a wingback but currently spends half his time tracking back to support Efe. He's not a CF in my book, shouldn't play there.
    Earlier in the season we change to flat back 4 and looked a lot more solid at the back, I thought we were a better attacking unit too. We created over 20 chances versus Aberdeen in the cup and they created zip, I'm sure we were 451 (or a variation) that night. So...the question is why have we abandoned that shape.
    I wish Lennon would go back to that shape and stick to a basic starting team. Bring in the cover at RB for SDG and stop trying to shoehorn a style of play on a team that can't play that way...
    Last edited by GreenProfessor; 24-11-2018 at 09:54 PM.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: yekim evol
    The midfield is shocking, personally I feel if we compare the great midfield of last season to this seasons the player we haven’t replaced is mcgeouch, who takes the ball from the defence and takes / distributes the ball forward.

I honestly believe we’re totally misusing mallan his strengths are in the final third with goals and assists but we have him wasted in a deeper role, he should be the Allan replacement.

Milligan can do the ... defencive side that mcginn did to an extent just not the attacking side.

If we're playing a midfield trio like yesterday, it has to be Mallan or Hyndman as the central guy getting nearest the strikers and getting shots off near the box.
    But then we need two box-to-box workhorses doing the dirty work and keeping the tempo high and we don't really have those guys. Milligan and Slivka would probably be the closest but appear short in terms of quality and stamina.

If we go with Boyle and Horgan wide and two strikers (with a back four) then we'd get overrun by most teams with Mallan or Hyndman involved, but we would face a lack of creativity in the middle of the pitch with Bartley, Milligan or Slivka making up a central pair.

A diamond with a back four doesn't really suit Boyle on the right and he's not the best as a second striker.

One striker and two high wingers (Kamberi, Boyle, Horgan or Agyepong) with a middle three - leaves us with a similar dilemma to option 1.

Bringing in Scott Allan (leaving his lack of fitness aside) isn't necessarily a quick fix since he'd just be replacing Mallan or Hyndman but he would be an upgrade if he could quickly rediscover last season's form.

A left-sided dynamic midfielder should be top of Lenny's Christmas list but those guys are hard to find.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    I said it before, but i'd play Bartley and Milligan if we play a midfield 5, with Boyle and Stevenson wide and Mallan or Horgan behind the front 2.

We are just too open with any other of our options.

Mallan is a 10. That’s where he played his best football for St Mirren. A couple of their fans said he wouldn’t get involved enough or have the energy to play deeper with them and he often turned in poor performances when played further back.

The problem is we don’t have any other options to play central that will offer us energy or drive and allow him to move higher up. Lennon signed some good footballers but they don’t make up a cohesive unit in midfield.

Play 4-2-3-1, Milligan holding with Mallan in behind the striker with Boyle/Horgan/AN Other out wide. I'd be looking for a box2box midfielder with energy and strength but that won't come easily, must be someone out there. Watched Nitcham for Celtic yesterday and he was the epitome of a pure box2box player, energy, drive and a willingness to do the dirty work when needed, we have really missed McGinn.

Midfield, what's that ? We didn't seem to have one yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by vahibbie View Post
    Midfield, what's that ? We didn't seem to have one yesterday.
    And when the other team have the ball we let them play

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Mallan is a 10. That’s where he played his best football for St Mirren. A couple of their fans said he wouldn’t get involved enough or have the energy to play deeper with them and he often turned in poor performances when played further back.

The problem is we don’t have any other options to play central that will offer us energy or drive and allow him to move higher up. Lennon signed some good footballers but they don’t make up a cohesive unit in midfield.
    I think his is where our problems come from, and I'd play Mallan off Kamberi.

Bartley has done well again recently so I'd be tempted to stick him in there and push Milligan further forward, with either Hyndman or Slivka as the third midfielder.

We're persisting with the same kind of thing (midfield with Mallan, Milligan and AN Other), and it's just not working.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Play 4-2-3-1, Milligan holding with Mallan in behind the striker with Boyle/Horgan/AN Other out wide. I'd be looking for a box2box midfielder with energy and strength but that won't come easily, must be someone out there. Watched Nitcham for Celtic yesterday and he was the epitome of a pure box2box player, energy, drive and a willingness to do the dirty work when needed, we have really missed McGinn.
    Kamara is the player that would unlock all of that for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I think his is where our problems come from, and I'd play Mallan off Kamberi.

Bartley has done well again recently so I'd be tempted to stick him in there and push Milligan further forward, with either Hyndman or Slivka as the third midfielder.

We're persisting with the same kind of thing (midfield with Mallan, Milligan and AN Other), and it's just not working.
    If you were playing Milligan further ahead of Bartley, what kind of role would you see him in? He just doesn’t look like a forward thinking player at all to me.

Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    If you were playing Milligan further ahead of Bartley, what kind of role would you see him in? He just doesn’t look like a forward thinking player at all to me.
    He's a decent passer, gets stuck in and is reasonably mobile (not yesterday, but he's just back from a pretty gruelling trip). If we don't play him, we lack any grit.

I definitely don't think this is the longterm answer, but I'm just trying to come up with suggestions that we haven't tried yet.

Our midfield is crap, there is only so much that we can do with who we have. I like Marvin Bartley, and I've been concerned at how easy it is to play through our midfield.

@hibs.net private member
    We've been poor for weeks now so this certainly isn't the only factor but it can't help us to have Boyle, McLaren and Milligan all traveling to the other side of the world and only getting back a few days ago.

Whilst it seems like a positive to have so many internationals in the squad, the downside is we don't have the resources large clubs do to give our top players a rest when needed.

With the 3 players above almost certainly away for January we'll need to think seriously about how to not just improve the squad, but ensure we have adequate cover. That seems pretty daunting at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    He's a decent passer, gets stuck in and is reasonably mobile (not yesterday, but he's just back from a pretty gruelling trip). If we don't play him, we lack any grit.

I definitely don't think this is the longterm answer, but I'm just trying to come up with suggestions that we haven't tried yet.

Our midfield is crap, there is only so much that we can do with who we have. I like Marvin Bartley, and I've been concerned at how easy it is to play through our midfield.
    I thought our midfield played very well against Hamilton and actually looked like an effective unit. I don’t think its been seen again since.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Let’s go back to the old John Collins days hunt in packs to win the ball back 😂
    Unfortunately we have to play to our strengths until the window there is nothing we can do about it until then
    We have to make the best of what we have got and that must mean starting Bartley to avoid us getting run over in midfield
    Let’s get behind the Manager and the team

I thought our midfield played very well against Hamilton and actually looked like an effective unit. I don’t think its been seen again since.
    Hamilton were pish though! 🤔

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    I've said this a few times now, but the midfield players we signed in the summer all have ability but I've no idea how they are supposed to fit into a formation that works and judging on his constant changing in team selections neither does NL. I get that we would struggle to replace last season's midfield in one window, but we've not even come close to it, nor have we even signed players of similar styles - we have no box to box midfielder and no midfielder that can thread a pass. Milligan plays in a similar part of the field as McGeouch and while not as skilful at least provides a bit more defensive cover, but the lack of workrate and dig from the other signings puts far too much pressure on him.

McLaren has had a lot of stick, but for me that's down to NL. He's not a player who was unknown to him, in signing him again it would come as no surprise that he needs service to flourish, but I'm struggling to work out who is supposed to provide that as none of the midfielders have shown they can consistently pick a pass. We also have three wingers in the squad. but our main striker seems unwilling to actually header a ball.

I think the ship has sailed but I genuinely think Scott Allan would make a big difference to the team. Yesterday was the first time I really watched Kamara and I thought he looked a class act, if there is any chance we could get him in January we should try.

Oh and a striker with some presence who can actually header a ball - I can see why we were linked with Tom Eaves, him or someone like him is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    I've said this a few times now, but the midfield players we signed in the summer all have ability but I've no idea how they are supposed to fit into a formation that works and judging on his constant changing in team selections neither does NL. I get that we would struggle to replace last season's midfield in one window, but we've not even come close to it, nor have we even signed players of similar styles - we have no box to box midfielder and no midfielder that can thread a pass. Milligan plays in a similar part of the field as McGeouch and while not as skilful at least provides a bit more defensive cover, but the lack of workrate and dig from the other signings puts far too much pressure on him.

McLaren has had a lot of stick, but for me that's down to NL. He's not a player who was unknown to him, in signing him again it would come as no surprise that he needs service to flourish, but I'm struggling to work out who is supposed to provide that as none of the midfielders have shown they can consistently pick a pass. We also have three wingers in the squad. but our main striker seems unwilling to actually header a ball.

I think the ship has sailed but I genuinely think Scott Allan would make a big difference to the team. Yesterday was the first time I really watched Kamara and I thought he looked a class act, if there is any chance we could get him in January we should try.

Oh and a striker with some presence who can actually header a ball - I can see why we were linked with Tom Eaves, him or someone like him is needed.
    Hyndman can thread a pass, but any midfield containing him and Mallan will be exposed and overrun.

McLaren has been awful this season, he almost caused problems yesterday by closing down poor defenders but he was pitiful in possession.

Kamberi can header a ball, but it needs to be delivered to him in the right way.

Horgan and Agyepong can beat players and get decent balls in, but Horgan is played out of position and Agyepong is permanently injured.

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Hamilton were pish though! 🤔
    Aye but Dundee were below them.

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    We'll end up playing 433/451. We need the extra man in midfield with Mcginn gone, and Kamberi leading the line.

Maclaren might find himself coming on from bench, or having to adapt his game as part of a front 3.

Aye but Dundee were below them.
    Even worse then still pish! 😂

Quote Originally Posted by 500miles View Post
    We'll end up playing 433/451. We need the extra man in midfield with Mcginn gone, and Kamberi leading the line.

Maclaren might find himself coming on from bench, or having to adapt his game as part of a front 3.
    Agreed

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    Get a new one.
    I take it back.

Stevie Mallan played the McGeough role to perfection with a couple of shots in as well.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Stevie Mallan played the McGeough role to perfection with a couple of shots in as well.
    Yup. If he does that every week then we have a player. Hopefully the confidence boost he needs.