hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...was discussed at the Celtc AGM.

HERE

(They're the ones that used to term Sectarian, by the way)

For those that don't want to click the Daily Record link...

"Chairman Bankier hit out at fans who he said take Celtic "into the gutter" by continuing to sing sectarian songs.

One shareholder was praised by Lawwell for his "bravery" in raising the controversial subject from the floor. An increase in sectarian singing at games was the claim, specifically the Beautiful Sunday chant with IRA lyrics and a chant directed at Hearts manager Craig Levein calling him an "orange b*****d".

The man said the majority of the sectarian singing comes from the Green Brigade section of Parkhead. He added: “Not putting all blame on the Green Brigade but drums and megaphones bring the beat for these unsavoury songs.

“It's getting worse now and I want the board to open a dialogue.”

Bankier responded by saying Celtic have no time for what is “‘very damaging and that sort of singing takes club to the gutter”. He urged fans to show disapproval during games and says the guilty parties will soon see they are in a small minority.

Lawwell accepted the problem had got worse in recent times. He added: "It is very unfortunate that a small minority is dragging us down."
    Ireland is England's oldest colony. If the English did all the things they did to Scotland that they have done to Ireland I would hope we had a SRA. Siding with oppressed and exploited is not sectarian especially when they offer a non religous and non sectarian state.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SingHibs View Post
    Ireland is England's oldest colony. If the English did all the things they did to Scotland that they have done to Ireland I would hope we had a SRA. Siding with oppressed and exploited is not sectarian especially when they offer a non religous and non sectarian state.
    What relevance does any of that have to a Scottish football team from Glasgow in 2018?

@hibs.net private member AgentDaleCooper's Avatar
    and football unequivocally the best forum in which those issues can be dealt with

this is my last posts on this thread, but this seems to be the pattern of those with a bent for defending singing these songs, waving flags etc - playing semantics with the word 'sectarianism'. it's not about what the word originally meant, what it means now, whether you define this that or the other thing as sectarian, whether you blame this organisation more than that, who is the worst etc etc etc.

people get the ***** kicked out of them because of this issue, and those that perpetrate this don't have a nuanced, educated perspective on what this is all about. to them it's songs, flags, sides and paggering people.

if you want to define your way out of accepting that this is a major problem, then you are part of the problem

Quote Originally Posted by gillythehibby View Post
    What's this got to do with Hibernian FC?
    From my point of view, because we have some seriously dodgy songs of our own, especially those regarding Wallace Mercer. I know he was a bit of a Charlie Uniform November Tango but the songs we sing about him drag us down to the lowest of the low. We should sing songs about celebrating our team like the one at the last Derby about the road to our SC win which was superb. More of these, less of the Mercer type stuff.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Actions speak louder than words. Highlighting the issue is a positive, but what are they going to do to try and stop it? The Green Brigade have been a thorn in the flesh for Celtic for a long time.

Maybe they could start by asking the DJ not to play any music which encourages pro IRA singing?

Quote Originally Posted by dangermouse View Post
    From my point of view, because we have some seriously dodgy songs of our own, especially those regarding Wallace Mercer. I know he was a bit of a Charlie Uniform November Tango but the songs we sing about him drag us down to the lowest of the low. We should sing songs about celebrating our team like the one at the last Derby about the road to our SC win which was superb. More of these, less of the Mercer type stuff.
    Great post imo.

Part of the problem is that everyone wants to get hung up on definitions to legitimise their own unacceptable conduct and condemn that of others.

Can we really get on our high horse as long as we've got the songs about Mercer, Skacel etc?

Offensive singing is offensive singing whether is is sectarian in nature, celebrating terrorist organisations or the demise of a rival club's chairman, or racist, or homophobic in nature.

What is classed as offensive depends mainly on who is being offended, as the mere existence of Neil Lennon offends some idiots.

I don't like a lot of what comes from fans of Rangers and Celtic but were hardly angels ourselves and debating the definitions of sectarianism are a distraction.

Quote Originally Posted by dangermouse View Post
    Just so I'm clear on the rules. It's fine to call Mercer a ****** on a forum, just not in a song?

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Great post imo.

Part of the problem is that everyone wants to get hung up on definitions to legitimise their own unacceptable conduct and condemn that of others.

Can we really get on our high horse as long as we've got the songs about Mercer, Skacel etc?

Offensive singing is offensive singing whether is is sectarian in nature, celebrating terrorist organisations or the demise of a rival club's chairman, or racist, or homophobic in nature.

What is classed as offensive depends mainly on who is being offended, as the mere existence of Neil Lennon offends some idiots.

I don't like a lot of what comes from fans of Rangers and Celtic but were hardly angels ourselves and debating the definitions of sectarianism are a distraction.
    I kind of agree with this and don’t join in songs about Mercer etc, but there is a fine line at times.

For example, cheer up Jimmy Jeffries/ Craig Levein. Highly offensive to the fat jambo bassa and fat people/jambo in general, but to my mind acceptable.

Equally, if you want to ask Neil lennon to cheer up whilst calling him a fat ginger bassa, fair enough.

One of the most disgusting songs I’ve heard was from Hibs fans and directed at Darren Jackson, it wasn’t sectarian, just plain nasty.

@hibs.net private member AgentDaleCooper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SquashedFrogg View Post
    Just so I'm clear on the rules. It's fine to call Mercer a ****** on a forum, just not in a song?
    there aren't really rules, it's an extremely complex topic to pick apart

...not so complex in this case though - the song isn't about him being a see you next tuesday, it's a song celebrating him being dead, and laughing at his wife.

to be honest, there's a part of this song that appeals to my slightly dark/south park style sense of humour, but i still don't think it's ok to sing it.

so if you need a 'rule', calling someone a **** is not as bad as celebrating someone's death. hope that helps

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    It’s a pop song. That’s my point.
    The point of the thread? Nae idea.

To raise awareness of a football related article... in particular one that surprised me in the willingness of some at Celtc to admit they had a problem with what they themselves described as Sectarian Songs.

I look forward with interest to the similar issues being raised at The Ranger's AGM.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Can't wait for the Green Brigade's response to this. It will literally be an enormous banner with the phrase "BUT WHAT ABOUT RANGERS?" printed on it.

Game, set and match.

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    I kind of agree with this and don’t join in songs about Mercer etc, but there is a fine line at times.

For example, cheer up Jimmy Jeffries/ Craig Levein. Highly offensive to the fat jambo bassa and fat people/jambo in general, but to my mind acceptable.

Equally, if you want to ask Neil lennon to cheer up whilst calling him a fat ginger bassa, fair enough.

One of the most disgusting songs I’ve heard was from Hibs fans and directed at Darren Jackson, it wasn’t sectarian, just plain nasty.
    I also don't want to sanitise it too much.

Mercer was such a divisive character that I would argue some distasteful stuff was fair game at the time of the takeover and even at the time of his death.

It's old news now though, and the longer it goes on for the more irrelevant, distasteful and unnecessary it gets.

I actually accept that there are songs that are unpalatable to some that just should not be banned - Rule Britannia, the Fields of Athenry etc are not sectarian songs, whereas songs about being up to your knees in fenian blood and those that revel in the actions of terrorist organisations are unacceptable.

I remember the song to which you refer, and I remember shuddering when I heard it. There is no way that kind of thing is more acceptable than anything that has come from a Rangers or Celtic end.

Neil Lennon deserves abuse every time he turns up at Tynecastle for the simple reason that he is the Hibs manager. The nature of that abuse shouldn't cross a line though, and should be equivalent to the kind of stuff we happily hurl at Levein or Jefferies.

@hibs.net private member Stonewall's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    Can't wait for the Green Brigade's response to this. It will literally be an enormous banner with the phrase "BUT WHAT ABOUT RANGERS?" printed on it.

Game, set and match.
    i suspect there will either be a spelling mistake or random apostrophe in there too.

Quote Originally Posted by nonshinyfinish View Post
    In the what?

It's on the main forum, which is described as "The messageboard for all Hibs fans to chat about Hibs and football in general."
    Firstly- I was answering a direct question by the OP who was confused as to why posters were commenting 'what's this got to do about hibs?'
    Secondly - A discussion about Celtic fans singing sectarian songs has hee haw to do with Hibs QUOTE and football in general QUOTE has it???

The kind of discussion The Holy Ground is meant for...

Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    Celtc will do utterly hee-haw about it, because as much as they like to use the word "minority", everyone knows that to be a lie.

And the sectarian/Pro-IRA £ is worth far too much money to them. Celtc have built their empire on it, using that type of financing to get them into a position where they regularly now reap the rewards of Europe.

Much in the same way that Rangers did (and their new incarnation are continuing to do), in exploiting the sectarian/unionist image to bolster their coffers to try and achieve parity.

The pair of them are profiteering, lip-serving ****my *******s.
    Utter filth.

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brianmc View Post
    Firstly- I was answering a direct question by the OP who was confused as to why posters were commenting 'what's this got to do about hibs?'
    Secondly - A discussion about Celtic fans singing sectarian songs has hee haw to do with Hibs QUOTE and football in general QUOTE has it???

That would make sense if your original post had argued that it wasn't a suitable discussion for a football board, rather than a mythical 'Hibs only' board.

(IMO it is to do with football – while any thread in this kind of topic is inevitably going to stray into Holy Ground territory, in this case the OP was about the board of Celtic Football Club discussing songs sung at football matches by fans of Celtic Football Club.)

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by May2116 View Post
    Of course it is. But a pop song they’ve clearly just stated they don’t want sung, yet play it across their tannoy to encourage it... not exactly difficult to understand.
    It reads to me like a shareholder raised the general question from the floor about this song in particular, not ‘they’ the club as you seem to be implying. That’s easy enough to understand I’m sure you’ll agree.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    You mean like during the Highland clearances, or the rape and pillaging across Scotland 700 odd years ago??

Load of pish.

Quote Originally Posted by brianmc View Post

Celtc are a Football Club, hence I'd say it was football related.

It shouldn't be, but it's a sad fact of life in Scotland, especially at Cetlc and The Rangers games.

Oh and the people that complained about it being called Sectarian Singing; you need to take that up with the people at the Celtc AGM who used that term to describe it...as I quite clearly pointed out in the original post.

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post

I look forward with interest to the similar issues being raised at The Ranger's AGM.
    It will be. Someone will point out that Celtc fans have admitted it and leave it at that. They will continue to sing their folk songs with a moral high ground.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by O'Rourke3 View Post
    It will be. Someone will point out that Celtc fans have admitted it and leave it at that. They will continue to sing their folk songs with a moral high ground.

Probably, yeah.

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by O'Rourke3 View Post

Green brigade on strike today.