hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gascoigne

Gascoigne

Those still playing the mental illness/disease of alcoholism card (not being pompous- have done so myself) must be finding it all a bit of stretch now.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Horrible man, his exclusion from the hall of fame 100% correct

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Taking Gazza out the equation for a moment: Playing the mental health card should not pass without comment.

With our game changer initiative, our managers admission of his own challenges, the see me initiative and those around suicide. Even closer to home Hibs.net thread on anxiety and depression.

Perhaps you could reconsider whether playing the mental health card is helpful.

As well as setting the tone for sartorial elegance :) you could consider setting a better tone for discussing mental health...
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Actually believe Gazza when he says he didn't sexually assault her. Keep in mind this is alleged, let's not tar and feather the guy before he's been convicted.

Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Those still playing the mental illness/disease of alcoholism card (not being pompous- have done so myself) must be finding it all a bit of stretch now.
    Really poor post for several reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitHibs View Post
    Actually believe Gazza when he says he didn't sexually assault her. Keep in mind this is alleged, let's not tar and feather the guy before he's been convicted.
    He probably can't remember

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    He got convicted did he not
    This he's just been charged. Only just happened.

@hibs.net private member Kojock's Avatar
    This he's just been charged. Only just happened.
    Incident occurred in August and he has been charged with one count of sexual assault by touching. What happened to innocent until proven guilty.

But you're going to assume the person accusing him is a liar?

Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post
    I'm not calling anyone a liar. I'm saying on the evidence shown, I think Gazza is telling the truth. So far all I've read is an accusation that he touched her. In the world we live in, brushing past someone can now be grounds for a sexual abuse allegation.

Left by mutual consent!
    We would be ****ed if some on here were incharge.
    Maybe we could hang him now??

Whatever happened to innocent till PROVEN guilty?

@hibs.net private member linlithgowhibbie's Avatar
    The police would have investigated, taken statements from witnesses and Gazza if he wished to comment.

CCTV would have been pulled and viewed.

After all that the BTP would have presented the evidence/ case to the Crown Prosecution service.

They decide if there is sufficient evidence to prosecute, and if it is in the public interest to do so.

Having said that not everyone is found guilty of charges, so I suggest everyone on here waits for the result of the trial before hanging the guy.

PS I met him during the course of my work and was disgusted when his parting words were "No Surrender" shouted across a busy concourse in the

Waverley Station. Disliked him with a passion ever since.

Not a big fan of Gazza but, as others have said, he's only been charged so far.

Tar and Feathers back in the cupboard for now.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Gazza is marmite. He's not the brightest star in the night sky but like a lot of extravagant personalities he's probably a laugh to be around if he's one of your mates but a pain in the erse if he's not. An exceptional footballer but an absolute welt of a human being. What's kept him afloat is the willingness of other celebrities to pack him under the arms and help him up, if found guilty then no one will touch him with a barge pole and self destruct is his default programming.

Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post
    I've always argued it's possible that there can be a middle ground with such allegations. There often seems a default setting among some that if there is no conviction then the woman is a 'liar'. I'd suggest it's entirely possible someone can genuinely believe they were a victim of sexual assault or rape even if no conviction is secured. I've mentioned before that I have a friend who made an allegation of rape against a man; he was found not guilty but the experience ruined her life and if she made the whole thing up then she's exceptionally committed to the lie given she has sacrificed friendships and her employment, attempted to end her life and still suffers from extreme anxiety when out in public all because of or relating to the incident.

It's a difficult situation as it often comes down to one persons word against another, circumstantial evidence and perhaps even personal boundaries. Sexual crime is so emotive though it can lead to extremely forceful opinions being formed, particularly as the outcome can be so devastating for either or both parties.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Your “belief” is based on nothing other than the kind of attention seeking comment typical of inadequates who troll a fans messageboard desperate for attention.

No one knows other than the people directly involved- end of.
    Last edited by superfurryhibby; 21-11-2018 at 05:48 PM.

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Brilliant footballer, car crash human being.

I'm not calling anyone a liar. I'm saying on the evidence shown, I think Gazza is telling the truth. So far all I've read is an accusation that he touched her. In the world we live in, brushing past someone can now be grounds for a sexual abuse allegation.
    So you know more than the PF then. Just give him a bell and I'm sure he will drop the charges...

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    Seen him up close on and off the pitch during his time at Boston. Accurate description.

Innocent until proven guilty on this one though.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I've always argued it's possible that there can be a middle ground with such allegations. There often seems a default setting among some that if there is no conviction then the woman is a 'liar'. I'd suggest it's entirely possible someone can genuinely believe they were a victim of sexual assault or rape even if no conviction is secured. I've mentioned before that I have a friend who made an allegation of rape against a man; he was found not guilty but the experience ruined her life and if she made the whole thing up then she's exceptionally committed to the lie given she has sacrificed friendships and her employment, attempted to end her life and still suffers from extreme anxiety when out in public all because of or relating to the incident.

It's a difficult situation as it often comes down to one persons word against another, circumstantial evidence and perhaps even personal boundaries. Sexual crime is so emotive though it can lead to extremely forceful opinions being formed, particularly as the outcome can be so devastating for either or both parties.
    Thanks for sharing your friend's experience it must be absolutely horrific for someone to first of all go through the trauma of the event and then a harrowing legal process. As you say the one word against the other tends to mean a very low conviction in these sort of cases.

Quote Originally Posted by VivaPalmeiras View Post
    Taking Gazza out the equation for a moment: Playing the mental health card should not pass without comment.

With our game changer initiative, our managers admission of his own challenges, the see me initiative and those around suicide. Even closer to home Hibs.net thread on anxiety and depression.

Perhaps you could reconsider whether playing the mental health card is helpful.

As well as setting the tone for sartorial elegance :) you could consider setting a better tone for discussing mental health...
    My point is that mental health is a serious issue and shouldn’t be used as a free pass for anti social behavior. Most people with mental health issues are not sex offenders and are probably more likely to suffer abuse than perpetuate it. Conflating mental health issues and sex abuse is not helpful.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    Not a big fan of Gazza but, as others have said, he's only been charged so far.

Tar and Feathers back in the cupboard for now.

True. If it goes to trial by jury his previous will not help him.

How will any jury member not be swayed by photos of his ex wife?

Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    Aye, how i've always viewed him. Super Ally loves to tell a Gazza story ... like a younger brother that laughs telling of the time his mentally ill brother ate his own 5hite.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post
    True. If it goes to trial by jury his previous will not help him.

How will any jury member not be swayed by photos of his ex wife?
    Why would they be used as evidence?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Was there ever any truth that Mowbray tried to sign him for Hibs?
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    Your “belief” is based on nothing other than the kind of attention seeking comment typical of inadequates who troll a fans messageboard desperate for attention.

No one knows others than the people directly involved- end of.
    Attention seeking? Aye okay then you fool. I'm giving an opinion on a thread that someone else started.

@hibs.net private member CA Hibby's Avatar
    I met Gazza a few times through work and spent some time in his company. I always felt he was timid, scared, shy whatever you want to call it and his acting out and being center of attention was his way to deflect. A sort of protection blanket. I felt when he was on the field he could be himself and was in his comfort zone. Not judging him or his character, just my opinion, but his actions through life I feel mirror how things have turned out

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    Why would they be used as evidence?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

The black eye he allegedly gave her might still be in the memory of one or more jury member.

It is bound to cloud their judgement, although it shouldn't.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post
    The black eye he allegedly gave her might still be in the memory of one or more jury member.

It is bound to cloud their judgement, although it shouldn't.
    The risk of that would be reduced by robust jury selection.

Ideally, any jury would have no knowledge of him or his past.

Who cares about Gazza! Hes a lost cause whether hes guilty or not of this particular offence