hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You never heard of local rivalry??? I'll always want hearts and England to lose every game they play. To suggest it's jealousy is quite bizarre.
    Saved me typing it.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Rehabacrossthesea Wii Code: 4040
    You never heard of local rivalry??? I'll always want hearts and England to lose every game they play. To suggest it's jealousy is quite bizarre.
    I agree about Hearts, obviously. I do not however have this thing about England needing to be beat every time they play.

Each to their own I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by MackTheKnife View Post
    I agree about Hearts, obviously. I do not however have this thing about England needing to be beat every time they play.

Each to their own I suppose.
    You must love all things england rammed down your throat by all the media..unless you are english.😏

Quote Originally Posted by MackTheKnife View Post
    Definitely are.

This ABE mentality is ridiculous and, as you say, smacks of jealousy from Scotland fans.
    The ABE mentality is funny. I want them to lose but I'm not blind, they're really good.

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Rehabacrossthesea Wii Code: 4040
    Quote Originally Posted by HIBERNIAN-0762 View Post
    You must love all things england rammed down your throat by all the media..unless you are english.😏
    No, not English.

I do agree with you however on the English media side of the argument, they are completely OTT.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Some people have the ability to spit rather than swallow.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    They are an improving side with potential to be a good side.

They aren’t a top side at international level yet and blew a huge chance at the World Cup when they couldn’t have hand picked a better route to the final.

Their two results in the last month certainly a show they are improving but let’s see how they do when it matters when the next tournament comes round.
    Potential to be a good side. They’re already a very good side.

Coaching Staff
    If it's not jealousy what is it then ?

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Potential to be a good side. They’re already a very good side.
    Disagree.

They’ve had a couple of good results in the nations league. They didn’t beat anybody of note at the World Cup despite getting as far as they did.

After the Euros is the time to judge them. If they go far they can perhaps be called a good side. But they haven’t achieved anything as a team yet. Certainly not enough to be getting labelled as a very good side.

They have half a chance at the Euros particularly with the semis and final being played at Wembley.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    Rivalry, banter call it what you like it’s no big deal really, plenty of Scottish folk want England to do well, plenty don’t, it doesn’t bother me. As for the World Cup they did beat teams of note as getting there is actually making you a team of note. That’s why Scotland are very rarely there.
    Last edited by Scouse Hibee; 18-11-2018 at 06:07 PM.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    Rivalry, banter call it what you like it’s no big deal really, plenty of Scottish folk want England to do well, plenty don’t, it doesn’t bother me.
    If it is genuine banter/rivalry fair enough, it concerns me when it takes on an edge where a simple 'well done' is construed as something traitorous.

The English media have had a sense of realism for years now. Their sports journalists are no different from our own.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    I said it already. Not sure why I'm explaining this but wanting your team to do well doesn't necessarily mean you are jealous of your rivals who are doing well. Obviously I wanted England to lose every game when they were poor as well.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    The English media have had a sense of realism for years now. Their sports journalists are no different from our own.

There's this tired old trope that gets spouted out about how the 'English media' are this, that and the other.

It's rubbish and says more about the accuser than the accused.

All commentators tend towards the parochial, Marty Feldman made a great sketch out of it in the late 1960s. The trend of attacking commentators as being pro-English really took on a head of steam in the late 80s and the 90s and touched on a sense of grievance that some seem to carry, as a massive chip on their shoulder. Some folk seem like they need to hang onto it, maybe because they need to have someone bigger to resent?

Modern-day English football commentators and journalists are relatively balanced on the whole and a good few are quite ironic or humorous about it.

Still won't be enough to appease the ABE types though, which is a shame because Southgate's side are far from the finished article, but are sparky and exciting and as I said in an earlier post very reminiscent of the Mowbray tyros.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Coaching Staff
    I said it already. Not sure why I'm explaining this but wanting your team to do well doesn't necessarily mean you are jealous of your rivals who are doing well. Obviously I wanted England to lose every game when they were poor as well.
    I've read & re read this & frankly it comes across as a bit Irish, if I'm allowed to use that term.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    I've read & re read this & frankly it comes across as a bit Irish, if I'm allowed to use that term.
    Given how easily offended folks on here are about other stuff, well frankly, are you ****. And (quote) 'a wee smiley doesn't hide it' either!
    Last edited by Iggy Pope; 18-11-2018 at 06:52 PM.

This thread is so familiar. The same posters weigh in with the same tired prejudices, which are clearly linked to their political beliefs,every time the debate comes up.

If Scottish people want to support anyone but England, they should be allowed to, without this pompous superior nonsense about 'bitterness'. They are our historic rivals, it is the oldest rivalry in world football. If Scottish people a)want to support England, because they like the style of play, or b)are neutral about them, but enjoy their style of play, or c) would like to support them but despise the media, or d) support them because they have a weird fetish about Gareth's lovely little waistcoasts, it shouldn't bother anyone else one ****ing iota.

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post

There's this tired old trope that gets spouted out about how the 'English media' are this, that and the other.

It's rubbish and says more about the accuser than the accused.

All commentators tend towards the parochial, Marty Feldman made a great sketch out of it in the late 1960s. The trend of attacking commentators as being pro-English really took on a head of steam in the late 80s and the 90s and touched on a sense of grievance that some seem to carry, as a massive chip on their shoulder. Some folk seem like they need to hang onto it, maybe because they need to have someone bigger to resent?

Modern-day English football commentators and journalists are relatively balanced on the whole and a good few are quite ironic or humorous about it.

Still won't be enough to appease the ABE types though, which is a shame because Southgate's side are far from the finished article, but are sparky and exciting and as I said in an earlier post very reminiscent of the Mowbray tyros.
    Thats not how Luka Modric seen it after the semi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This thread is so familiar. The same posters weigh in with the same tired prejudices, which are clearly linked to their political beliefs,every time the debate comes up.

If Scottish people want to support anyone but England, they should be allowed to, without this pompous superior nonsense about 'bitterness'. They are our historic rivals, it is the oldest rivalry in world football. If Scottish people a)want to support England, because they like the style of play, or b)are neutral about them, but enjoy their style of play, or c) would like to support them but despise the media, or d) support them because they have a weird fetish about Gareth's lovely little waistcoasts, it shouldn't bother anyone else one ****ing iota.
    Good to see you putting all your pompous prejudices on display with this post.

Good to see you putting all your pompous prejudices on display with this post.
    Apart from the waistcoat thing, which ones do you mean?

Apart from the waistcoat thing, which ones do you mean?
    The waistcoat thing was my favourite bit. Made me laugh.

The waistcoat thing was my favourite bit. Made me laugh.
    I liked the waistcoat thing. He's stopped wearing them now though.

Getting into winter and I'm keen to see his range of overcoats.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Nah, it's bitter small-mindedness, pure and simple.

Self-realisation is a wonderful thing.

Nah, it's bitter small-mindedness, pure and simple.

Self-realisation is a wonderful thing.
    I'm glad youve reached that point.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    Given how easily offended folks on here are about other stuff, well frankly, are you ****. And (quote) 'a wee smiley doesn't hide it' either!
    Oh dear, well at my age I don't give a **** frankly. No wee smiley.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Oh dear, well at my age I don't give a **** frankly. No wee smiley.
    Me neither.....

I'm glad youve reached that point.

Love exchanging posts with you, in an ideal world we would talk it out more often.

Ideally, me, you and RyeSloan with a few drinks arguing what the world map looks like, or whether everyone should speak Spanish or whether we should build a bridge to the moon (and if we did was it publicly financed, privately financed or some hybrid PFI and if so why?)

Love exchanging posts with you, in an ideal world we would talk it out more often.

Ideally, me, you and RyeSloan with a few drinks arguing what the world map looks like, or whether everyone should speak Spanish or whether we should build a bridge to the moon (and if we did was it publicly financed, privately financed or some hybrid PFI and if so why?)

And JeMeSouviens - apologies, you always put up decent content and thought-out posts.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Now now lads lets not have peace breaking out.

Very entertaining thread.

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    I have over the years become somewhat removed from the ABE mentality, with it being replaced by mere ambivalence seasoned by mild amusement when the reality doesn't live up to the hype. Funnily enough IMO since the Brazil world cup the hype around England has become somewhat reigned back to a slightly more realistic outlook …. perhaps that's why getting to the last world cup semis was seen as such an achievement, when in reality the opponents despatched on the way were nations England would surely hope to beat way more than 50% of the time.

From a purely academic point of view there is one huge question surrounding the English national team which has to be answered. In terms of international football they are a seriously big fish … if football was like the UN security council they would be one of the five permanent members. But since the advent of international tournament football there have been 21 world cups and 15 European championships, meaning that out of 36 possible attempts England have won a tournament once and more to the point have only made one single solitary final and that was at home.

Discuss
    Cannot be bothered rehearsing the same old cold pish reheated from the World Cup on the subject of England, though there seems plenty of enthusiasm for it elsewhere on the thread.

Your post is a cracker though because to me the bit in bold is absolutely the question they should be asking and trying to answer. It is a spectacular level of underachievement for a nation of their size, quality of league and range of gifted players over the years. England fans should be raging about the failure to win more tournaments - or even get to finals - as much as we should be raging about failing to qualify for finals.