hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nations League

Hybrid View

Nations League

Ignoring how Scotland are performing and the fact it disrupts the domestic football season, I actually like the idea of the Nations League. As we've seen this week there are a lot of interesting games and even the minnows have something to play for.

The BBC summarise all the permutations here.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46154317

In the top tier, England and Croatia can go into the game with both teams capable of finishing first in their group and going into the Nations League semi or could be relegated. Netherlands could win their group of they avoid defeat at relegated Germany and pipping France for the top spot.

Loads of other permutations. Great for the football fan.

Pity Scotland are not in a higher league but maybe that will change this weekend.

Apologies, can't get link to work.
    Last edited by theonlywayisup; 17-11-2018 at 07:45 AM.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    I agree. I like it. Adds something a bit extra, gives teams a realistic chance of qualifying for something by playing teams of a similar standard to them. This weekend is the start of Scotland's best chance to qualify for something in many years.

The semis and finals get played after regular qualifying, but does the nations league get played through every 2 years? I'm not sure if it also has a route for world cup qualifying or if it's just euro qualifying.
    Mon the Hibs.

I like the idea of it, but we are still playing friendly matches, this nations league was supposed to be instead of friendly's. There is far too many internationals. No need for it, Most people put clubs before country, with all these internationals it's easy to get fed up and frustrated. Must be the same for the players. Very boring, not a novelty anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I agree. I like it. Adds something a bit extra, gives teams a realistic chance of qualifying for something by playing teams of a similar standard to them. This weekend is the start of Scotland's best chance to qualify for something in many years.

The semis and finals get played after regular qualifying, but does the nations league get played through every 2 years? I'm not sure if it also has a route for world cup qualifying or if it's just euro qualifying.
    Yes it is every two years, the next one will be in 2020/21 and it is proposed that this competition will allow for European teams to qualify for the 2022 World Cup although there has been no confirmation of this yet.

Quote Originally Posted by EH54 View Post
    I like the idea of it, but we are still playing friendly matches, this nations league was supposed to be instead of friendly's. There is far too many internationals. No need for it, Most people put clubs before country, with all these internationals it's easy to get fed up and frustrated. Must be the same for the players. Very boring, not a novelty anymore.
    It's designed to reduce the number of friendlies, not cut them out altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    Yes it is every two years, the next one will be in 2020/21 and it is proposed that this competition will allow for European teams to qualify for the 2022 World Cup although there has been no confirmation of this yet.

It's designed to reduce the number of friendlies, not cut them out altogether.
    If your playing nations league and euro/World Cup qualifiers that should be more than enough. Piece of nonsense all these internationals.

Quote Originally Posted by EH54 View Post
    Because we are in (1 of many) group(s) of 3
    If UEFA want to get rid of friendly's, all groups should consist of 4 teams

Quote Originally Posted by SJNB Hibby View Post
    Because we are in (1 of many) group(s) of 3
    If UEFA want to get rid of friendly's, all groups should consist of 4 teams
    Would they want to get rid of friendlies? Countries would be limited to only playing teams they were drawn against and only from their continent - I guess that would be something new to moan about at least.
    Mon the Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    Would they want to get rid of friendlies? Countries would be limited to only playing teams they were drawn against and only from their continent - I guess that would be something new to moan about at least.
    Plenty of opportunities for friendly's, play-off weeks for countries not involved(every other year) immediate lead up to competitions(every other year) summers when there's no competitions(every other year)
    I'm getting fed up with a bunch of no names getting 1 or 2 caps on the basis of a mass second half swathe of substitutions

Quote Originally Posted by SJNB Hibby View Post
    Plenty of opportunities for friendly's, play-off weeks for countries not involved(every other year) immediate lead up to competitions(every other year) summers when there's no competitions(every other year)
    I'm getting fed up with a bunch of no names getting 1 or 2 caps on the basis of a mass second half swathe of substitutions
    Maybe I've misunderstood - I thought the argument was that people didn't want friendlies?

Don't see the issue with players getting a run out - everyone was pretty happy for Stevenson recently.
    Mon the Hibs.

Hard to get excited by anything the SFA is up to to be honest although I have a 12 year old and he is gutted by how terrible we are, so it can’t say I don’t care. Wish I didn’t though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    I'm delighted to see so many players pulling out, international football should be WC and EC. The nations league is simply a way to generate more money and in doing so take money out of every day fans pockets.

It's a League for crappy wee teams, and despite that Scotland still look crap in comparison.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    It's a League for crappy wee teams, and despite that Scotland still look crap in comparison.
    Tell that to Germany, just relegated in their group.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

International friendlies are a complete waste of time. The nations league is our best chance of qualifying for a tournament and we should be taking it seriously. We won't qualify for the euros though. We won't even get to the next phase of this imo. A loss tonight and a draw on Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    International friendlies are a complete waste of time. The nations league is our best chance of qualifying for a tournament and we should be taking it seriously. We won't qualify for the euros though. We won't even get to the next phase of this imo. A loss tonight and a draw on Tuesday.

So what's the point?

Not a dig at you, by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    So what's the point?

Not a dig at you, by the way.

If we ever have a decent football team again we will have a better chance of qualifying. If we weren't so bad atm people would view this tournament differently.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by H18 SFR View Post
    I'm delighted to see so many players pulling out, international football should be WC and EC. The nations league is simply a way to generate more money and in doing so take money out of every day fans pockets.
    You need to qualify for those somehow. What about the fans who love following their country?

Edit: posted from the road from Tirana to Shkoder on a bus full of pals having a magic time in Albania.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    You need to qualify for those somehow. What about the fans who love following their country?

Edit: posted from the road from Tirana to Shkoder on a bus full of pals having a magic time in Albania.
    Previously a ten pointer myself back in the day so fully understand the magic time with pals aspect. Sadly I'm not convinced you'd have any worse a time of you were there with mates not for a Scotland game.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Previously a ten pointer myself back in the day so fully understand the magic time with pals aspect. Sadly I'm not convinced you'd have any worse a time of you were there with mates not for a Scotland game.
    That very topic has been discussed but there’s no way the extended group of mates from all corners of the country and all walks of life would get their act together without the focal point of the game. It just doesn’t happen in ‘normal life’.

Short and sweet.
    Nations League is much better than playing friendlies.
    All friendlies are a waste of time for all concerned, including those played by Hibs, and should be avoided by players and supporters like the plague.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    They're not taking any more money out of my pocket.

Not yours, presumably.

It's a choice thing.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    Ignoring how Scotland are performing and the fact it disrupts the domestic football season, I actually like the idea of the Nations League. As we've seen this week there are a lot of interesting games and even the minnows have something to play for.

The BBC summarise all the permutations here.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46154317

In the top tier, England and Croatia can go into the game with both teams capable of finishing first in their group and going into the Nations League semi or could be relegated. Netherlands could win their group of they avoid defeat at relegated Germany and pipping France for the top spot.

Loads of other permutations. Great for the football fan.

Pity Scotland are not in a higher league but maybe that will change this weekend.

Apologies, can't get link to work.
    I don't get the point of it to be honest. I'd suggest the point of World Cups and European Championships is to showcase the best teams around. By grouping the Nations League teams together in terms of their stature (eg Scotland along with fellow fourth-tier nations Israel and Albania) it seems to offer a back door route for some really poor teams to qualify at the expense of those who play the best football. There are already too many teams at the major championships. Quantity does not equate to quality.

@hibs.net private member Leith Green's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    I don't get the point of it to be honest. I'd suggest the point of World Cups and European Championships is to showcase the best teams around. By grouping the Nations League teams together in terms of their stature (eg Scotland along with fellow fourth-tier nations Israel and Albania) it seems to offer a back door route for some really poor teams to qualify at the expense of those who play the best football. There are already too many teams at the major championships. Quantity does not equate to quality.

It has been really good for the smaller nations to actually play competitive games which they have a chance of winning.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Leith Green View Post
    It has been really good for the smaller nations to actually play competitive games which they have a chance of winning.
    That would be fine if the smaller nations (including Scotland) were playing in an international equivalent of the Irn-Bru Cup which didn't involve the top nations. However, if I'm reading things right, the Nations League gives these teams a potential back door route to the European Championships by winning an easy group and then a play-off. Why reward that kind of mediocrity at the expense of better sides who would enhance, rather than reduce the quality of the main tournament? Rewarding mediocrity is surely not the way to improve the quality of football across the board.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    I'm far more interested in (non-Scotland) Nations League games than I am the Euro/WC qualifiers. Something to play for in almost every game and between teams of similar stature so they're always competitive. A welcome addition to the calendar, as long as England don't ****ing win it.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    So what happens if we manage to win tomorrow night and win Group C1? Do we get promoted into Group B1, or does our landing spot get drawn out of some hat?

Just caught the end of Chick Young on Sportsound, did I pick him up correctly that if we lose today we drop down a pot and would be in the same seeding's as Lichtenstein, San Marino and other not so good football countries

Quote Originally Posted by BS44 View Post
    Just caught the end of Chick Young on Sportsound, did I pick him up correctly that if we lose today we drop down a pot and would be in the same seeding's as Lichtenstein, San Marino and other not so good football countries
    No. Even if we lose, we could still beat Israel on Tuesday and end up top of the group once head to heads are considered.

Winning the group would put us up to league B with teams such as Poland, Germany, and England/Croatia. Where we'd get relegated promptly back down. following that trend of yo-yo-ing would be advantageous to our qualification prospects every 4 years though.
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BS44 View Post
    I read earlier that the result of this game is largely irrelevant. Regardless of the result we’ll still need to beat Israel next week.

Only exception to that would be if we get pumped 3 nil.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Are we relegated yet?