hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    The Scotsman reminds me of Scotland rugby fans. Fiercely proud to be Scottish when there’s a game on, but quick to tell you we’re not big or clever enough to run our own country the rest of the time.
    Typical Edinburgh middle class pish that won’t be missed.

* I’m generalising, not all rugby fans or Scotsman readers for the above description 😂

United we stand here....

2. Log in to remove the advert

I think it's time this thread was moved to the Holy Ground as it has no football content, just a series of blinkered political views.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Coaching Staff
    Continuing the world wide trend of newspaper distress, whereby people demand ‘instant news’

Will indeed be sorry to see them go.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think it's time this thread was moved to the Holy Ground as it has no football content, just a series of blinkered political views.
    To be honest mate I don't think criticism of the press in Scotland represents a blinkered political view, in fact its the blinkered political stance of the Scottish press which has partly lead to why so many people have turned to the internet for their news and especially political opinion.

There is not a single national newspaper in this country printing a balanced view of the Scottish government's running of the country or giving anything like equal treatment to the arguments for and against independence and that's reflected in their front pages and editorials every day of the week:

The Daily Record … anti
    The Sun … currently anti … though they bounce back and forward depending on where they think the money is to be fair.
    The Mirror … anti
    The Daily Mail . viciously anti
    The Daily Express … viciously anti
    The Glasgow Herald … anti
    The Scotsman … anti
    The rest like the Telegraph have such small circulation north of the border their opinion barely matters.

Its not a blinkered view to say that the press in Scotland is a million miles from being a reflection of the populations attitude towards the Scottish government or its views on independence because its so bloody self evident that it is, with it being massively unbalanced in its reporting of the Scottish government and its attitude towards Scottish independence.

It is absolutely the job of a free press to call to account the people in charge, to help ensure they do not abuse their power and to inform the public when they find examples of bad decision making, abuse of political position or downright dishonesty. The press in this country do not do that, most if not all of the papers mentioned above work day and night to put a bad spin on anything the SNP lead government do or have done over the last 10 years and if they cant find anything they more often than not make it up.

That is an absolute fact, not a political point of view and its something the press in this country should be utterly ashamed of …. though considering they are bye and large run from London and their editorial policy is influenced if not directly set by multi millionaire right wing owners and publishers I highly doubt they could give a toss.

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    To be honest mate I don't think criticism of the press in Scotland represents a blinkered political view, in fact its the blinkered political stance of the Scottish press which has partly lead to why so many people have turned to the internet for their news and especially political opinion.

There is not a single national newspaper in this country printing a balanced view of the Scottish government's running of the country or giving anything like equal treatment to the arguments for and against independence and that's reflected in their front pages and editorials every day of the week:

The Daily Record … anti
    The Sun … currently anti … though they bounce back and forward depending on where they think the money is to be fair.
    The Mirror … anti
    The Scotsman … anti
    The rest like the Telegraph have such small circulation north of the border their opinion barely matters.

Its not a blinkered view to say that the press in Scotland is a million miles from being a reflection of the populations attitude towards the Scottish government or its views on independence because its so bloody self evident that it is, with it being massively unbalanced in its reporting of the Scottish government and its attitude towards Scottish independence.

It is absolutely the job of a free press to call to account the people in charge, to help ensure they do not abuse their power and to inform the public when they find examples of bad decision making, abuse of political position or downright dishonesty. The press in this country do not do that, most if not all of the papers mentioned above work day and night to put a bad spin on anything the SNP lead government do or have done over the last 10 years and if they cant find anything they more often than not make it up.

That is an absolute fact, not a political point of view and its something the press in this country should be utterly ashamed of …. though considering they are bye and large run from London and their editorial policy is influenced if not directly set by multi millionaire right wing owners and publishers I highly doubt they could give a toss.
    The trouble these days is everything is ‘spin’, you’re struggling to get truth and facts from anywhere and believing anything you read or hear is becoming impossible!

Quote Originally Posted by Real Emerald View Post
    The trouble these days is everything is ‘spin’, you’re struggling to get truth and facts from anywhere and believing anything you read or hear is becoming impossible!
    Absolutely true mate. But that's where the real dishonesty comes in with the written press, the papers I mentioned still pretend that what they are printing is NEWS when in actual fact it is anything but, the vast majority of stories and editorials are spun to show in the worst possible light anybody and anything which opposes their pro union anti independence and especially anti SNP view.

Say what you like about sites like Wings over Scotland or Wee Ginger Dug, but they do not pretend to be anything other than what they are. In this context the biggest thing they do isn't actually promoting independence, what they do is day after day take stories from these papers and debunk the mistruths, deliberate omissions and downright lies they have used to batter the SNP and the independence movement in general.

In the case of Wings over Scotland every fact or piece of information used to show up these mistruths, deliberate omissions and downright lies has citations and links which enable the reader to fact check the information used by the site for themselves. If folk don't believe that all they have to do is log onto Wings over Scotland and check for themselves.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Absolutely true mate. But that's where the real dishonesty comes in with the written press, the papers I mentioned still pretend that what they are printing is NEWS when in actual fact it is anything but, the vast majority of stories and editorials are spun to show in the worst possible light anybody and anything which opposes their pro union anti independence and especially anti SNP view.

Say what you like about sites like Wings over Scotland or Wee Ginger Dug, but they do not pretend to be anything other than what they are. In this context the biggest thing they do isn't actually promoting independence, what they do is day after day take stories from these papers and debunk the mistruths, deliberate omissions and downright lies they have used to batter the SNP and the independence movement in general.

In the case of Wings over Scotland every fact or piece of information used to show up these mistruths, deliberate omissions and downright lies has citations and links which enable the reader to fact check the information used by the site for themselves. If folk don't believe that all they have to do is log onto Wings over Scotland and check for themselves.
    The written press have been the masters of their own downfall. A huge chunk of the population in Scotland feel like they don’t have a voice. In politics.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    The written press have been the masters of their own downfall. A huge chunk of the population in Scotland feel like they don’t have a voice. In politics.
    And their sports departments haven’t exactly helped either.
    Deliberately ignoring the massive story that was developing at old Rangers was an absolute disgrace. I read about their use of EBT’s and side letters months before they were ever mentioned in the mainstream press on website like rangerstaxcase.com . The information was all out there for them to find the story but they deliberately ignored it.
    And now I’m supposed to feel sorry for them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    And their sports departments haven’t exactly helped either.
    Deliberately ignoring the massive story that was developing at old Rangers was an absolute disgrace. I read about their use of EBT’s and side letters months before they were ever mentioned in the mainstream press on website like rangerstaxcase.com . The information was all out there for them to find the story but they deliberately ignored it.
    And now I’m supposed to feel sorry for them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You don’t have to feel sorry for them. You don’t have to sound like Jacob Rees Mogg about the potential job losses either though.
    Last edited by Beefster; 18-11-2018 at 07:10 AM.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    https://www.scotsman.com/news/obitua...nist-1-3645331

Ian Wood’s obituary. His “Slice of Life” musings on golf and, eh, life, were worthy of collection and publication.

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    https://www.scotsman.com/news/obitua...nist-1-3645331

Ian Wood’s obituary. His “Slice of Life” musings on golf and, eh, life, were worthy of collection and publication.
    John Rafferty and Norman Mair were other memorable writers on sport and The Scotsman needs to find others with that ability if they want folk to start buying it every morning.

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    The Scotsman reminds me of Scotland rugby fans. Fiercely proud to be Scottish when there’s a game on, but quick to tell you we’re not big or clever enough to run our own country the rest of the time.
    Typical Edinburgh middle class pish that won’t be missed.

* I’m generalising, not all rugby fans or Scotsman readers for the above description 😂
    There is truth within that generalization

Gutted for the staff TBF. Can’t think it’s s good thing and certainly not amusing. The paper did need to evolve long ago. The management, in sheer panic and desperation, tried to steer clear of the iceberg but are going the way of the Titanic!

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    John Rafferty and Norman Mair were other memorable writers on sport and The Scotsman needs to find others with that ability if they want folk to start buying it every morning.
    You’re right, Rafferty was a football writer and Mair covered rugby. Hugh Keevins and Mike Aitken also wrote for the paper.

I’ve a wee stash of copies of the Pink/ Evening News/Scotsman/ Scotland on Sunday bought after memorable Hibs games, going back to the late 80’s. Some brilliant stuff in them.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Buy out by some group reported but union up in arms about loss of pension
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

@hibs.net private member Seveno's Avatar
    This thread had nothing to do with either Hibs or football or tolerance or concern for people’s jobs. It serves to destroy any notion of whatever is meant by ‘Hibs class’.

Can admin please move it to the Holy Ground or preferably the bin.

The papers have been saved by JPIMedia

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    You’re right, Rafferty was a football writer and Mair covered rugby. Hugh Keevins and Mike Aitken also wrote for the paper.

I’ve a wee stash of copies of the Pink/ Evening News/Scotsman/ Scotland on Sunday bought after memorable Hibs games, going back to the late 80’s. Some brilliant stuff in them.
    Mike Aiken supported the FTB's takeover of Hibs. Stopped reading him after that.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by O'Rourke3 View Post
    Mike Aiken supported the FTB's takeover of Hibs. Stopped reading him after that.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
    Aitken was Hearts and Ian Wood was a Hibby.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Do people still buy newspapers?

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisski33 View Post
    The papers have been saved by JPIMedia
    The titles but whether the jobs of the staff survive is another thing.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post

Mostly online, I'd imagine.

Left by mutual consent!

Amen brother. 👍

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    Arl fellas like me do - especially local papers. I need to know who's popped their clogs. And the crosswords can be good for warding off dementia.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by 0762 View Post
    Sorry to hear as people will end up without a job. Not great going into Xmas.
    To be honest not bought a newspaper (except after winning cup finals) since early 2000’s.
    Online media has killed the written press.
    To a large extent it has committed hari-kiri.

The written press has for a long time subscribed to a pre-ordained dogma when reporting on certain matters of international import. This leads to great guffaws in many quarters when the MSM harps on about "fake news" - because they wrote the manual and remain masters of this dark art! A great example of this was the pathetic unquestioning parroting of WMD lies in the lead up to the Iraq War - another more recent one was the largely manufactured anti-semitism "crisis" in the Labour Party. These are but a couple of examples of the established written press acting as an echo chamber to implant ideas in the public psyche which presumably serve the interests of their owners and their allies. The advent of alternative media on t'internet has served to expose this tendency and added disillusionment with the written press to the potent mix of convenience and FREENESS offered on the internet.

And apart from that the Evening News is pretty gash anyway! And the likes of Gumtree have blown them out the water in the small ads market.

Sad for journalists who are losing one of the established paths through which they can seek to earn a living - like musicians and other creatives they will have to seek alternatives. Not sad at all for the proprietors responsible for framing editorial policies that are contributing to their own downfall.

I dont wish to get into a political argument. I bought The National for the first time when I was back for the rugby on Saturday. What a refreshing read, YES it's mostly one sided, but, and this is the problem for the Een and Scotsman,the journalists know their subjects, their writing is articulate and informative,,something that has been missing in the 2 newspapers mentioned, it's a shame the papers gone to the wall, but, the quality was lost decades ago.

The Daily Record … anti
    The Mirror … anti
    The Scotsman … anti

100% everything you said

Left by mutual consent!

The Daily Record … anti
    The Mirror … anti
    The Scotsman … anti

That is an absolute fact
    , not a political point of view and its something the press in this country should be utterly ashamed of …. though considering they are bye and large run from London and their editorial policy is influenced if not directly set by multi millionaire right wing owners and publishers I highly doubt they could give a toss.
    What made-up facts have the Scottish press come up with about the Scottish government? If their job, as you say, is to call to account the people in charge then surely the Scottish government ARE the people in charge? Or are you suggesting that the Scottish government never actually get anything wrong?

As for the papers you list, given that the Herald group actually publish the National and that until its recent demise the Sunday Herald was strongly supportive of the SNP I'd suggest they're far from anti-independence. The Scotsman these days is cobbled together by such a skeleton staff that they're probably just glad to get a paper out without bothering much about whether they're perceived as pro or anti independence.

Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post

The Scotsman these days is cobbled together by such a skeleton staff that they're probably just glad to get a paper out without bothering much about whether they're perceived as pro or anti independence.
    They're pretty much "anti" independence today though, with their screaming headline that "60% of Scots would vote 'remain' in new indyref".

Which is a direct lift from a poll garnered from a deliberately skewed question by...Scotland in Union.

Them's the FACTS, right enough, Johnston Press-style.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Leither View Post
    They're pretty much "anti" independence today though, with their screaming headline that "60% of Scots would vote 'remain' in new indyref".

Which is a direct lift from a poll garnered from a deliberately skewed question by...Scotland in Union.

Them's the FACTS, right enough, Johnston Press-style.
    What is a deliberately skewered about the question posed in the poll?

Would you vote for Scottish independence in a second referendum?
    What a moment this is!
    It's Liam Henderson to deliver......