hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Evening News and Scotsman

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Yes heard this today, our local rag the Blackpool Gazette is in the same group, although to be honest will hardly be missed if it disappeared

@hibs.net private member Green Man's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheMightyJag PSN ID: FiveOClockHero
    The company has been in trouble for a long time, it was inevitable that it wouldn’t last.

Elephant Stone
    Left by mutual consent!
    Heap of dug sheite, good riddance.

Left by mutual consent!
    Banderson better get his HMFC CV concocted...pronto...with the usual untruths, caveats and numerical f-up's.

I don't wish unemployment on anyone - but this is an exception to the rule.

Hope to see you begging at Haymarket, you wretched little HMFC puppet toss-pot.

Sorry to hear as people will end up without a job. Not great going into Xmas.
    To be honest not bought a newspaper (except after winning cup finals) since early 2000’s.
    Online media has killed the written press.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergey View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Banderson better get his HMFC CV concocted...pronto...with the usual untruths, caveats and numerical f-up's.

I don't wish unemployment on anyone - but this is an exception to the rule.

Hope to see you begging at Haymarket, you wretched little HMFC puppet toss-pot.
    I know why you say that, G, but it'll be a shame if the EEN disappears.

It's an important publication for thousands of Edinburgh folk. It's more than just fitba.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Blog Entries
    I used to buy the Scotsman every day about 12 years ago. When I realised that they were generally going downhill and biased and inaccurate ( polite ) in their sports reporting ( led by a certain Jambo hack ) I gave it up for good. Delighted to hear they have fallen on hard times and wish them a quick and painful demise.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    I used to buy the Scotsman every day about 12 years ago. When I realised that they were generally going downhill and biased and inaccurate ( polite ) in their sports reporting ( led by a certain Jambo hack ) I gave it up for good. Delighted to hear they have fallen on hard times and wish them a quick and painful demise.
    Used to get the EEN sent down south decades ago but the sports journalism part became a celebration of all things hearts and the quality was abysmal.

The chickens took a long time to come home to roost but they have. Don't miss it. Maybe there's a void for a decent publication to fill.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    I know why you say that, G, but it'll be a shame if the EEN disappears.

It's an important publication for thousands of Edinburgh folk. It's more than just fitba.
    Got to disagree - it's no longer "An important publication for thousands of Edinburgh folk" - If it was, it would be sold off as a separate entity. No punter is buying it and it has ran the course.

Modern media and all that - I remember the 'Pink' prior to going to Powderhall - times change, and I short sold the shares a few years ago and I'm quids in.

You owe me gherkins. BTW :-)

Its yesterday’s news that’s in it as well. It’s on sale at 8am in the morning

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 0762 View Post
    To be honest not bought a newspaper (except after winning cup finals) since early 2000’s.

Regarding the online side, they really didn't help themselves by having a website that was so difficult to use if you had an iPad etc. In essence they made themselves compete with one arm tied behind their back. Could never ever figure out why they never addressed that.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    I once liked the Scotsman/ Scotland on Sunday sports coverage. That was a long time ago. End of an era, but we move with the times.

Used to like Ian Woods column , Allan Massie’s writing and A few ithers who’s name evades me. One of them was a Hibby that I played football with. His writing was better than his defending.

No different to any other company that refuses to change with the times. The Scotsman's latter-day desperation to appeal to those of a Glasgow team persuasion and refusal to properly investigate and report on the Romanov fall-out is shameful and so far removed from a serious newspaper it was simply a matter of time. Both publications sold their souls year ago.

@hibs.net private member Mantis Toboggan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergey View Post
    Got to disagree - it's no longer "An important publication for thousands of Edinburgh folk" - If it was, it would be sold off as a separate entity. No punter is buying it and it has ran the course.

Modern media and all that - I remember the 'Pink' prior to going to Powderhall - times change, and I short sold the shares a few years ago and I'm quids in.

You owe me gherkins. BTW :-)
    While the website and the football coverage are both by this stage appalling, the paper itself did still serve some sort of loose community purpose. However, just printing some old photos of Edinburgh in the Saturday edition isn't enough to sustain anything. Pretty sad really for those who remember getting it for transfer news in the Teletext era. Which is of no relevance to anyone under 30 I would guess.

Excellent news. Unionist rag.

Quote Originally Posted by SkintHibby View Post
    Excellent news. Unionist rag.
    An important point.
    When indyref 2 arrives it will be a very different landscape for both campaigns.
    News has fragmented even more since 2014 and nationalist also have a newspaper supporting them. The Herald and the Record are also looking more favourably at independence. If the Scotsman does not survive then the media will be much more favourable for the independence movement.
    There is also the fact that there are very few Labour mp’s left to help with Better together 2 these days. It will be a Tory dominated campaign next time round which will also help the independence cause.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    If the EEN goes who is going to print our cup final victory specials?

The Scotsman has gone right downhil. it went online without creating/retaining any distinguishing features with buzz feed links that any online entity could do - trivia pish and unruly online forums with a high numpty quotiant.

I know he often divides opinion (and all too fond of a music ref) but I do like reading Aidan Smiths articles many of which have a Hibs slant ranging from 100-10%
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Always remember the newsagent staying open until 6:30 and men queuing to get the pink. Always thought it was weird sight as a kid. That said, it is a pile of poo with a dreadful website. I appreciate journalism has changed but taking stuff directly from forums, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter is just poor journalism

@hibs.net private member MrSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 0762 View Post
    i just won’t buy a newspaper. Online does the job but I feel the damage is done through editorial agenda. The EN & Scotsman Unioist/Hearts/theRangers agenda is pretty much forefront of its demise.

@hibs.net private member offshorehibby's Avatar
    Sorry to hear of the possibility of people loosing their jobs but Johnston Press have destroyed to great news papers. I mind the days i would wait for the City final to be delivered before buying it.

Sad to say Mrs OS goes straight to the deaths page in the news most days.
    TOP CASH BACK
    The easy way to make money

We talk about stuff like ‘Hibs Class’ and then have posters effectively celebrating the demise of an independent employer, which raises the possibility of thousands of job losses. All because of trivial disagreement with their reporting, political/sporting line or the number of adverts on their website.

Seems like they may have cobbled together a deal to keep it going but will ditch the pension scheme as a result. Article on BBC.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    We talk about stuff like ‘Hibs Class’ and then have posters effectively celebrating the demise of an independent employer, which raises the possibility of thousands of job losses. All because of trivial disagreement with their reporting, political/sporting line or the number of adverts on their website.
    Not only are the arguments raised trivial but completely subjective. Take a look at Kickback and you’ll see they think the same thing only that it’s hibs who receive the glowing coverage.

I’ll be sad to see The Scotsman go. I used to buy a copy everyday before I moved to Ireland.

Scotland’s newspapers have really struggled since the independence referendum. People may celebrate their demise but these journalists often uncover scandals that would otherwise never come to public knowledge.

This is actually a perfect example of what I refer to in my previous post.

Perceived bias in a situation where there is no bias, only the reporting of facts.

Article
    https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.scot...-1-4830448/amp

Kickback response
    http://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/index....unning-scared/

@hibs.net private member
    It will just come back as The Edinburgh Evening News anyway

There is still a demand for local news so it will be supplied by someone. This company had long since stopped doing the things that made it a good source of local news. Other with better business models will step into the void. It’s creative destruction. It’s normal.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    There is still a demand for local news so it will be supplied by someone. This company had long since stopped doing the things that made it a good source of local news. Other with better business models will step into the void. It’s creative destruction. It’s normal.

There's no void. All that's happened is that incompetent management have been able to shed the debt and walk away from employee pension obligations. The papers will actually be stronger.
    All that's happened is that, as usual, the workers - and that's not just the journalists - have been shafted. But chortle away, everyone.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    I tend to agree.

You can extend that to all parts of the media really and I’d include the Daily Record in Sun in that too.

It’s fashionable just to call them rags and tell everyone you’ve never bought them for 20+ years yet folk still care what they have to say!

We all want the press to write positive stuff about our club and show our rivals in the worst possible light. If they don’t, we slate them.

Same goes for BBC or anyone else who passes comment on Scottish football.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel 1875 View Post
    This is actually a perfect example of what I refer to in my previous post.

Perceived bias in a situation where there is no bias, only the reporting of facts.

Article
    https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.scot...-1-4830448/amp

Kickback response
    http://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/index....unning-scared/
    Funny that we see it as a hearts paper and they see it as q hibs paper!