hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left by mutual consent!

If you could choose never to have become a football fan would you do so?

A few questions with which to pass the time with during yet another dull international break...

Does anyone ever wonder what their lives would have been like if they'd never got into football? Have you invested too much passion in Hibs at the expense of other, arguably more fulfilling things? Do the highs of supporting Hibs really outweigh the many lows? Have you ever felt that being a football fans was actually impacting on your health? Has anyone actually 'quit' being a football fan and become happier as a result?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    No chance, I'd have no mates, or lifelong friends to be exact, being a Hibby is for life.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Slow thread week.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Slow thread week.

Choose Hibs.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    I really hate international breaks.

United we stand here....

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Rehabacrossthesea Wii Code: 4040

Left by mutual consent!
    No, I'd hate to be that weirdo that says they are not into football and then have a grand total of 0 conversation topics.

I feel sorry for people who have never experienced the kind of emotions that I felt at roughly 4:50pm on 21st May 2016.

It's emotions like that which can only be brought on by supporting a football team and I wouldn't swap that day for anything. It makes all the bad experiences of following Hibs all worthwhile.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by IGRIGI View Post
    No, I'd hate to be that weirdo that says they are not into football and then have a grand total of 0 conversation topics.
    It’s full of them at my work to be fair :)

Is it Hearts or Hibs you like again, lad? 😡😡😡

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    I feel sorry for people who have never experienced the kind of emotions that I felt at roughly 4:50pm on 21st May 2016.

It's emotions like that which can only be brought on by supporting a football team and I wouldn't swap that day for anything. It makes all the bad experiences of following Hibs all worthwhile.

And the weird thread of the week award goes to...

I'd probably be much happier.

Definitely wouldn't do it though.

@hibs.net private member
    I think its a bit like parenthood. So much tedium, hard work and disappointment but with a sprinkling of moments that can't be replicated by anything else. I doubt I'll ever feel like I did walking out of Hampden that day. Even typing those words sent shivers down my spine. It was amazing but boy did we put the miles in to deserve that. I can't imagine life without Hibs and I often think about moving abroad or to the Western Isle etc but Hibs are the stumbling block.

Coaching Staff
    I couldn’t imagine life without Hibs.

Even though I am at the other side of the world they are in my thoughts every day.

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    And the weird thread of the week award goes to...
    It's still better than watching Scotland play though.

I reckon I'd be a lot better off financially if I didn't like football

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    A few questions with which to pass the time with during yet another dull international break...

Does anyone ever wonder what their lives would have been like if they'd never got into football? Have you invested too much passion in Hibs at the expense of other, arguably more fulfilling things? Do the highs of supporting Hibs really outweigh the many lows? Have you ever felt that being a football fans was actually impacting on your health? Has anyone actually 'quit' being a football fan and become happier as a result?
    Funny, I have thought about this from time to time, every time Hibs play, I'm either at the game or worse, getting regular updates from my phone, your weekend made with a win, the edge taken off it with a defeat. Mostly under achievement in the 40 odd years I've followed the club, three trophy wins that I've seen, pretty abject in Europe and too many periods when Hearts have been in the ascendancy. Would life have been easier and less stressful if I had never been into football? Maybe but it’s not just the 90 minutes, it's part of your life, checking .net on a daily basis, a pint with your mates before the game, the excitement of a new signing, relief when a bad season is over, then desperate for a game two weeks later! I probably would have lost touch with my two school friends years ago if it wasn't for football and I really enjoyed taking my nephew to his first game when he was about eight, getting season tickets together and him thanking me for making him a Hibby after the Scottish Cup win, about 20 years later.

So if I had my time over again, I'd still be a football fan and it'd still be Hibs!

Last edited by Weir07; 15-11-2018 at 06:10 PM.

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    With both my close and extended family all being Hibs daft there was never any doubt I’d be s Hibee and a fan of football in the wider sense. The lows have made the highs even better.

As for those who aren’t football fans, of which I know many, they’re missing out.

I wasn’t going to back after the 2013 cup final having first went to ER in 1983. I was done with all the disappointment and had a young family, a good friend of mine told me that hibs weren’t a tap that you could just turn off he told me they were part off who I was, and wether I went or not I wouldn’t be able to just forget about them.

He was absolutely right and I tried not to go as much in 2013/14 but I still thought about hibs all the time and couldn’t just turn them off god that season I wish I could off.

I still go now every week with my son and enjoyed that day in May along with everyone else. I think in answer to the op I don’t know I’d be doing if I wasn’t a football fan Id possibly have hair and never experienced every raw emotion known to man in one single day.

A big thanks to my mate you know who you are.
    Last edited by tartanhibee; 15-11-2018 at 05:32 PM.

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    No. And I'm generally a bit distrustful of men who don't like football!

Left by mutual consent!
    Friend of mine was a highly promising swimmer when he was younger. We're talking really outstanding here and he was tipped as a future Olympian. However, he found the commitment required too much and ultimately ended up focusing on his twin passions of Dundee United and drinking. He now says he genuinely regrets his choice not to make the most of his talent and says he can't believe he thought it was more important to watch football (not surprising perhaps in light of United's decline in recent years!).

I wonder how many sporting stars of the future have been lost to their respective sport due to their love for a football team.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    No. Was always a Hibby and just as well coming from 5 generations of Leithers although following Hibs wasn’t forced upon me. It was 17 when I first attended a game at ER.

things just clicked. It was only when my wife said recently “you found your tribe” that is hit me - that was exactly it. By 19 my mum and dad had passed respectively. Coming in late to attending live matches I didn’t realise just how much Hibs had become a part of me. Until then.

In the April my father died - 2 and 1 days after my birthday and sisters birthday.
    Later that same year Hibs were threatened with extinction. I surprised myself at just how much the club meant to me.

So now once bitten, the bug could never envisage not supporting a team but specifically my team - Hibs.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    No, born a football supporter and will die one.

Aye.

And 21/05/16 wouldn’t have meant so much if we didn’t have to go through the wringer umpteen times to get there.

GGTTH

I didn't have much choice since my dad was a footballer and mad keen.
    The only other sport that captured the imagination early on was cricket but that took a back seat as soon as August rolled round.

Its a question I have pondered on from time to time:

Would I have been financially better off? almost certainly …. would I have spared myself a lifetime of mostly incredibly frustrating moments as Hibs and Scotland failed to do what I wanted them to? definitely. Would my life have been made a lot simpler for being spared the angst of two wives and a long term partner who ranged from being totally ambivalent to the beautiful game to a barely disguised hatred of it and who never could understand my loyalty to my team and love of the game? almost certainly.

But for all of that you cant put a price on the friends I have made through my love of Hibs and football in general. You cant put a price on some of the absolutely brilliant times I have had following Hibs. You certainly cant put a price on the whole weekend of the 2016 Scottish cup final, not even the worlds richest man could buy it, because you had to live through decades of pain to pay for it

No … on my tombstone it will say 'Here lies Nae Nookie, thank you Lord for making me a Scotsman, thank you lord for making me a Hibby'

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    Its a question I have pondered on from time to time:

Would I have been financially better off? almost certainly …. would I have spared myself a lifetime of mostly incredibly frustrating moments as Hibs and Scotland failed to do what I wanted them to? definitely. Would my life have been made a lot simpler for being spared the angst of two wives and a long term partner who ranged from being totally ambivalent to the beautiful game to a barely disguised hatred of it and who never could understand my loyalty to my team and love of the game? almost certainly.

But for all of that you cant put a price on the friends I have made through my love of Hibs and football in general. You cant put a price on some of the absolutely brilliant times I have had following Hibs. You certainly cant put a price on the whole weekend of the 2016 Scottish cup final, not even the worlds richest man could buy it, because you had to live through decades of pain to pay for it

No … on my tombstone it will say 'Here lies Nae Nookie, thank you Lord for making me a Pailmerk, thank you Lord for making me a Scotsman, thank you lord for making me a Hibby'
    Sorted that for you

Left by mutual consent!

Pishy cold nights at Dundee or Falkirk made it what it was. The greatest single moment in most our lives. I wouldn’t swap that moment for anything ever. Nothing.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    I went to my first Hibs game in 1971 and I still get a thrill of anticipation everytime I enter Easter Road. All my friends are Hibs fans, my parents and grandfather were too, as are my three boys. Football has given me so much pleasure and pain ( like the superfurryladies) and I can’t imagine what my life would have been without it.

Whilst I generally like sport, only watching Andy Murray win at Wimbledon has come close to what I feel when watching the Hibs.

I can't imagine not supporting a football team. My bank account would probably say otherwise, but **** it, you can't take it with you.