hibs.net Messageboard

Page 6 of 270 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DetroitHibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Spend some of the McGinn and Murray money. Really not that much in the grand scheme of things.
    We have spent a few bob this season. I would guess as follows:
    Milligan, I suspect would have been given a healthy signing on fee and be on a good wage - worth every penny
    Mallan, £150k and a decent wage - worth it for the goals, working hard to improve his overall game
    Horgan, £150k and a decent wage - jury still out
    Kamberi, £100k - worth it
    Bogdan - a healthy loan fee - worth every penny
    MacLaren, a healthy loan fee - not worth it so far but will turn it around
    Angepong, loan fee - not worth it to date due to injuries but lets get him fit before judging
    Two full backs in on short term contracts - wages

I think you will agree a lot of fees and wages paid to the above. Ball park figure, £1 million.
    Suspect we will pay the same out next summer as the rebuild is completed, post McGinn, McGeouch and Allan.
    No chance we would pay more than £200k for a player, we simply can't afford it.
    The club has never been healthier and the bean counters will hopefully keep it that way.

2. Log in to remove the advert

And that's why we will never reach our full potential as a club. As long as the bean counters are more interested in the accounts than the playing side of things, things won't change. Gauld would be a massive signing and a huge show of intent by the club.
    You're just blurting things out without any facts or logic.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    You're just blurting things out without any facts or logic.
    Here's a fact for you. This has been our league form in the top flight with Petrie and co at the helm.

1999-2000 6th
    2000-2001 3rd
    2001-2002 10th
    2002-2003 7th
    2003-2004 8th
    2004-2005 3rd
    2005-2006 4th
    2006-2007 6th
    2007-2008 6th
    2008-2009 6th
    2009-2010 4th
    2010-2011 10th
    2011-2012 11th
    2012-2013 7th
    2013-2014 11th relegated
    2017-2018 4th

Probably the third or forth most supported club in the league, yet we average as a bottom six club. Feel free to bury your head in the sand like all the others on here, but the facts are poor choices and penny pinching has resulted in mediocrity. How long do you give the current lot to get it right, another 20 years?

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    Milligan, I suspect would have been given a healthy signing on fee and be on a good wage - worth every penny
    Mallan, £150k and a decent wage - worth it for the goals, working hard to improve his overall game
    Angepong, loan fee - not worth it to date due to injuries but lets get him fit before judging

I think you will agree a lot of fees and wages paid to the above. Ball park figure, £1 million.
    Suspect we will pay the same out next summer as the rebuild is completed, post McGinn, McGeouch and Allan.
    The club has never been healthier and the bean counters will hopefully keep it that way.
    According to your logic then that would rule out a move for Scott Allan or is that perhaps part of the reason the deal did not go through in the summer?

Actually embarrassing that a club who's average crowd is over 15,000 and played in Europe can't or won't spend more than £200,000.

Actually embarrassing that a club who's average crowd is over 15,000 and played in Europe can't or won't spend more than £200,000.
    Why is it embarrassing?

Attendance and ST sales clearly matter but beyond that we are reliant on tv money and that's paltry in relative terms.

If we invest against income or assets we will carry high debt.

Sadly there's no major upside in attendances nor TV money so unless we find a benefactor(s) it's the only sensible way to run the club.

I suspect your frustration is the same factor that will lead to NL leaving us, well that's not exactly visionary as it's quite obvious.

GGTTH

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Area Hibees View Post
    Why is it embarrassing?

Attendance and ST sales clearly matter but beyond that we are reliant on tv money and that's paltry in relative terms.

If we invest against income or assets we will carry high debt.

Sadly there's no major upside in attendances nor TV money so unless we find a benefactor(s) it's the only sensible way to run the club.

I suspect your frustration is the same factor that will lead to NL leaving us, well that's not exactly visionary as it's quite obvious.

GGTTH
    It's been proven, put a successful team on the park and attendances will go up. Our season ticket sales the past two seasons have been record numbers, all on the back of a Scottish Cup win. I'm not saying go spend millions and millions, but spending £400,000-£500,000 on a marquee signing everyone once in a while should be doable. I don't think the board match the expectations of the fans.

We had decent money come in through a few different avenues this season. If we'd invested a bit more heavily in the squad it would have made a big difference. We notoriously wait until the last minute to sign players and that affects these players getting a proper preseason under there belts. Had we kept the momentum going and been pressing for a top three finish and Europe, season ticket sales would have gone up even further.

Lennon twice has been denied players after coming out in the past two windows and not getting the extra players he feels needed. If he leaves and we slide down the table, watch those season ticket sales fall off a cliff. All the momentum gone. The facts are staring you in the face. This current board of directors have FAILED to deliver when it comes to the league. Relegation twice and three years in the first division. That's a joke for a club our size.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    According to your logic then that would rule out a move for Scott Allan or is that perhaps part of the reason the deal did not go through in the summer?
    Allans contract is up in the summer,so precontract...or small fee(less than 200k)

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    It's been proven, put a successful team on the park and attendances will go up. Our season ticket sales the past two seasons have been record numbers, all on the back of a Scottish Cup win. I'm not saying go spend millions and millions, but spending £400,000-£500,000 on a marquee signing everyone once in a while should be doable. I don't think the board match the expectations of the fans.

We had decent money come in through a few different avenues this season. If we'd invested a bit more heavily in the squad it would have made a big difference. We notoriously wait until the last minute to sign players and that affects these players getting a proper preseason under there belts. Had we kept the momentum going and been pressing for a top three finish and Europe, season ticket sales would have gone up even further.

Lennon twice has been denied players after coming out in the past two windows and not getting the extra players he feels needed. If he leaves and we slide down the table, watch those season ticket sales fall off a cliff. All the momentum gone. The facts are staring you in the face. This current board of directors have FAILED to deliver when it comes to the league. Relegation twice and three years in the first division. That's a joke for a club our size.
    I wonder how hysterical you’ll become if we are still 8th at the end of the season. Absolutely crazy that these kinds of posts are surfacing after a small part of the season is done.

The board backed the manager in the summer. No doubt about it. Did he spend wisely? The jury is out on quite a few of them but i’ll give them time.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I wonder how hysterical you’ll become if we are still 8th at the end of the season. Absolutely crazy that these kinds of posts are surfacing after a small part of the season is done.

The board backed the manager in the summer. No doubt about it. Did he spend wisely? The jury is out on quite a few of them but i’ll give them time.
    I'm not hysterical, simply stating that this board has been a failure. Keep burying your head in the sand though

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    The money lost through league positions, cup exits, decreased attendance as a result of signing cheaper players than Allan (Hyndman, whoever replaces him) may well be £200,000 or close to that anyway.

I'm not hysterical, simply stating that this board has been a failure. Keep burying your head in the sand though
    This board? You mean since Leeann Dempster came in? Because I couldn’t disagree more. If you mean before she came in then you have a point.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan69 View Post
    Allans contract is up in the summer,so precontract...or small fee(less than 200k)
    Celtic say he can leave in January for £250000

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This board? You mean since Leeann Dempster came in? Because I couldn’t disagree more. If you mean before she came in then you have a point.
    Dempster doesn't run things. She might have a seat at the table, but Petrie is still in the background negotiating the deals and wages.

@hibs.net private member
    Dempster doesn't run things. She might have a seat at the table, but Petrie is still in the background negotiating the deals and wages.
    Absolute rubbish.

You really do Leeann a dis-service saying that. There is no way Leeann would allow her position to be undermined by Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    Absolute rubbish.

You really do Leeann a dis-service saying that. There is no way Leeann would allow her position to be undermined by Rod.
    Yet she is and he still pulls the strings. He's at the board meetings, he's on the pay roll and he still makes the final decision.

@hibs.net private member
    Yet she is and he still pulls the strings. He's at the board meetings, he's on the pay roll and he still makes the final decision.
    Not worth debating with you other than to say he is not on the payroll. He receives no income from Hibs and has one voice at board meetings.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    The current Board has been IMO hugely successful in terms of on field activity and probably more important off field in terms of the engagement with the fans and community resulting in the best attendances in the ground in my lifetime and let that be known that is a long time. The persevered tour was a tremendous thing to do on the back of the cup win for example.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    The current Board has been IMO hugely successful in terms of on field activity and probably more important off field in terms of the engagement with the fans and community resulting in the best attendances in the ground in my lifetime and let that be known that is a long time. The persevered tour was a tremendous thing to do on the back of the cup win for example.
    Yet league positions over the past 20 something years say otherwise. Two relegations and an average bottom six club, if you deem that "hugely successful" fair enough.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    He gets no salary from the club.

Can you answer my previous question?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Yet league positions over the past 20 something years say otherwise. Two relegations and an average bottom six club, if you deem that "hugely successful" fair enough.
    We are talking about the current board, which includes Leeann Dempster as the chief exec. Since she’s come in the club and it’s board of directors have definitely been hugely successful.

Leeann and Craig between them find the players and negotiate the deals, it's still up to the board to sign them off and Petrie is still on that board. Things have been so much better since the relegation and our new set up but we still don't pay silly money or silly wages for anyone and at tmes I'm glad of that because we know our club is being run properly.

Not another one. Jesus.

Come on DetroitHibs I’ve already got “Bury your head in the sand” I just need “Accepting Mediocrity” and that’s me got a full house on my Hibs.net Bingo board

Quote Originally Posted by SaulGoodman View Post
    Come on DetroitHibs I’ve already got “Bury your head in the sand” I just need “Accepting Mediocrity” and that’s me got a full house on my Hibs.net Bingo board
    I'll take a "reach the next level" thanks.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post

Very good analysis but perhaps surprisingly my info is that your comment in bold is incorrect. I believe that 1, probably 2 of our recent signings will be expected to cost in excess of £200k eventually if all conditions are met. Even more surprisingly I believe wages all round have gone up considerably & a few of our players are now on very competitive (by Scottish standards) salaries. There is of course a correlation between transfer fee paid & wages paid so where we pay a fee, we expect/hope to be able to make a potential profit in the long term. Effectively we're doing pretty much everything Detroit wants. Personally I blame Petrie.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Tom Eaves sounds decent.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    Tom Eaves sounds decent.

Until he needs dropping?

I'm not saying go spend millions and millions, but spending £400,000-£500,000 on a marquee signing everyone once in a while should be doable. I don't think the board match the expectations of the fans.
    Last player I can think of to sign for that money outside the old firm was Stevie May for Aberdeen at 450. If you thought he was mince against us a few weeks back you may have noticed he got a standing ovation from them, that was comfortably his best performance at Aberdeen. Spending money doesn’t necessarily mean a quality player.

Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    Very good analysis but perhaps surprisingly my info is that your comment in bold is incorrect. I believe that 1, probably 2 of our recent signings will be expected to cost in excess of £200k eventually if all conditions are met. Even more surprisingly I believe wages all round have gone up considerably & a few of our players are now on very competitive (by Scottish standards) salaries. There is of course a correlation between transfer fee paid & wages paid so where we pay a fee, we expect/hope to be able to make a potential profit in the long term. Effectively we're doing pretty much everything Detroit wants. Personally I blame Petrie.
    I agree. Barnsley for example will have clauses in Mallans contract which could take the transfer fee over £200k if he is sold on at a profit and the likes of Milligan and other players will be on a good wedge by Scottish standards.

I was just making a point to Detroit Hibs that our club spent a lot of money (for us) last summer and I expect a repeat next summer.

To me the guy is trolling, a yam or simply doesn't understand how financially strapped Scottish clubs are. Did he see, for example, that all Scottish Clubs outside the old firm where blown out the water by Burton Albion when Liam Boyce, a proven goalscorer, was available 2 seasons ago. Burton bloody Albion!

2020 will see extra TV money in the Scottish game. Not a massive amount but even an extra £500k (uneducated guess) every season for us will help massively. A few seasons after that and our £500k a year payments to Tom Farmer will stop. Those 2 things combined could see us with an extra £1 million a season to spend, every season.

I think our board are doing just fine and i will be happy with a 5th place league finish this season and 3rd next season after completing our team rebuild next summer.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 22-11-2018 at 11:10 PM.