hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    @hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Just received a letter delivered to next door, operation cancelled and now 7th of Feb.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just received a letter delivered to next door, operation cancelled and now 7th of Feb.
    I'm currently doing physio ten days after keyhole surgery on my knee, it's hard going, more uncomfortable than I thought. the surgeon says at some point when I'm older I will probably need a replacement, so that d be interested to hear what your experience is with your replacement

London Hibs Burns Supper back in your plans?

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    London Hibs Burns Supper back in your plans?
    It is matey, will see how i'm moving about nearer the time.

It is matey, will see how i'm moving about nearer the time.
    I'm sure the "medicine" on offer that w-end will help!

Had it done on Thursday, after the initial pain and not requesting the pain killers in time, Iím going home today and in little pain at all. Iím walking with crutches and canít believe how good I feel already. I have 90 degrees bend after 2 days although that does hurt a bit but will get easier. Hopefully itís onwards and upwards and I can get back to being miserable watching Hibs. 😂

Had it done on Thursday, after the initial pain and not requesting the pain killers in time, Iím going home today and in little pain at all. Iím walking with crutches and canít believe how good I feel already. I have 90 degrees bend after 2 days although that does hurt a bit but will get easier. Hopefully itís onwards and upwards and I can get back to being miserable watching Hibs. 😂
    Glad it went well Blackpool. We will all be wallowing in your misery soon enough

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. S View Post
    Glad it went well Blackpool. We will all be wallowing in your misery soon enough
    Thanks 😂

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Good to hear, Gary. 👍
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Glad to hear it went well and youíre on the up mate

Good to hear G! Churchill's tonight? 🍺🎤
    Last edited by HUTCHYHIBBY; 09-02-2019 at 06:29 PM.

😂 naw I think Iím off the bevy for a few weeks.

Congratulations and hope your recovery goes well.

I'd like to draw on your personal experience as I have severe arthritis on my left knee and will need a replacement at some point.

I had a hip replacement six years ago, but the night before the op there were two guys who'd had their knees done that day and spent the whole night screaming their heads off in pain and this has put me off getting it done, especially as others have said this is more painful that the hip. It wasn't a bundle of laughs either.

How was the immediate post-op and how long were you in? Also, were you active before and what do you anticipate being able to do in future, fitness/exercise-wise?

Quote Originally Posted by The Pointer View Post

I'd like to draw on your personal experience as I have severe arthritis on my left knee and will need a replacement at some point.

I had a hip replacement six years ago, but the night before the op there were two guys who'd had their knees done that day and spent the whole night screaming their heads off in pain and this has put me off getting it done, especially as others have said this is more painful that the hip. It wasn't a bundle of laughs either.

How was the immediate post-op and how long were you in? Also, were you active before and what do you anticipate being able to do in future, fitness/exercise-wise?
    My old dear hasn't had too much fun since she's had both knees done.

@hibs.net private member trev the hat's Avatar
    Speedy recovery G , youíll be back on the fairways soon ⛳️ 🏌️

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but i have suffered with a bad knee for years, so much so i have been told by the surgeon i need a new knee.

It will be done in the next 10 weeks.

Has anyone here had one of these done, if so what is it like now?

Can you do more than you could do before the op, is it more stable, is it better?

Any information would be good, as i'm golf mad, but it has been a struggle this year without a buggy to get me round the course.
    Get it done privately. Spire at Murrayfield?

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Get it done privately. Spire at Murrayfield?
    Had it done at the spire in Blackpool.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I also was screaming the walls down on the first night, but it was entirely my own fault. There is no need to be in pain, they tell you to keep on top of the pain, but I didnít I waited until the pain started and of course that was too late. Iím only on paracetamol now as itís just a very dull ache although it is painful when you have to do the rehab which does start straight away. Itís still early days and I still have a lot of hard work to do, but if itís got rid of the constant pain then it will be a huge thumbs up from me?

my wife has had both knees replaced mate, her quality of life is unrecognisable compared to before (in a positive way). She couldnít walk more than about 50 feet without needing to rest or sit to take her weight off of her knees. A trip to the shops was usually over a couple of hours, and usually gauges on how far the next bench/seats are.

As BH has said, the trick is to keep on top of the pain management, the docs and nurses will tell you to take regular pain meds in the early days, even if youíre not feeling the pain (becuase the last set of meds is still doing itís job), and theyíll wean you off steadily. Your knee is only going to get worse, and more painful. Youíll get a much better quality of life

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    I also was screaming the walls down on the first night, but it was entirely my own fault. There is no need to be in pain, they tell you to keep on top of the pain, but I didnít I waited until the pain started and of course that was too late. Iím only on paracetamol now as itís just a very dull ache although it is painful when you have to do the rehab which does start straight away. Itís still early days and I still have a lot of hard work to do, but if itís got rid of the constant pain then it will be a huge thumbs up from me?
    Iím really surprised BH, you didnít try Lager instead of paracetamol

Good luck with your recovery!

Thanks for the response BH. I think maybe I underdid the painkillers with the hip and thought I could bear it. If and when I'll bear that in mind. At the moment the knee pain comes and goes but I can still walk up hills (coming down is a bit more painful) and do weights at the gym to keep it strong.

Incidentally since we're on about pain, every Christmas I put two wee plastic containers up on the tree: one containing my kidney stone from a few years ago, and my metal stitches from my hip op - just to remind me!

P.S.: That's not all; I had an arthroscopy on my knee previously and have two plastic lenses in my een. The first one meant the Cup Final was the first game I ever watched without Gregories!

13 days in and i wont say its been easy, since coming home i have had a bit of a set back. My calf muscle seized up, as if i'd been shot.

Not been able to put weight on it without real pain, and it has set me back a bit in my movement of the knee.

I'm now walking a little better with crutches, and had the staples out yesterday. I can get round the house a little without the crutches to make a cup of coffee and the likes.

As i said at the start, i'm only 13 days in, and the one thing i would say about it that has pissed me off, is the lack of sleep due to not being able to get comfortable.

I dont have any real pain in the knee, its more of a dull ache, paracetamol and ibuprofen 3 or 4 times a day are the only medication i'm on.

Its not easy, but i am beginning to see some light.

Daft question here - what EXACTLY is a knee replacement? What are they replacing, and with what?

(I know quite a bit about other parts of the human body but my training did not extend to knees).

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Daft question here - what EXACTLY is a knee replacement? What are they replacing, and with what?

(I know quite a bit about other parts of the human body but my training did not extend to knees).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YAgrv9dkhc

IMG_0972.jpgTaken yesterday exactly 2 weeks after the op, staples out and according to the nurse, looking very good.

Calf muscle much better and im getting about better each day.

Its been a long two weeks, mainly due to lack of sleep, been sleeping when i can which can be the odd hour or two during the day and sadly its similar at night but hopefully that will improve once the swelling has completely gone.

I have to keep reminding myself that it is only 2 weeks, as it does feel a lot longer.

How you getting on now G?

How you getting on now G?
    Getting there matey, going to physio every Monday and of course doing it myself at home. I'm having trouble with it swelling after doing any exersice.

Which is apparently normal for some. Supposed to be going for a lads weekend in Benidorm next month with a few lads from Edinburgh, but if it does not improve by then i will need to knock it on the head.

If the swelling goes down i'm pretty sure i will be back to normal soon after.

Its only 4 and a half weeks, i think i'm just a bit impatient.

Churchill's"clientele" must be missing you!

Churchill's"clientele" must be missing you!
    Managed to get in this weekend.

First Team Breakthrough Besties Debut's Avatar
    I know a guy who got one of his done and his body rejected it. He was in and out of the hospital with infections for a couple of years and never really got it sorted. He ended up getting medically retired from the fire brigade because of it. On the other hand, my eldest brother got one of his done and had no problems at all. He was walking around the golf course after a few months. It all depends on the individual.