hibs.net Messageboard

Results 1 to 30 of 30
  1. #1
    @hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Blackpool
    Age
    58
    Posts
    49,271

    Knee replacements.

    Not sure if this is the right place for this, but i have suffered with a bad knee for years, so much so i have been told by the surgeon i need a new knee.

    It will be done in the next 10 weeks.

    Has anyone here had one of these done, if so what is it like now?

    Can you do more than you could do before the op, is it more stable, is it better?

    Any information would be good, as i'm golf mad, but it has been a struggle this year without a buggy to get me round the course.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #2
    @hibs.net private member 3pm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Age
    39
    Posts
    11,464
    My Ma has had both her knees replaced in the last couple of years.

    Hospital for 3 nights, feels better for it. You’ll need to do your exercises afterwards to aid the healing process.

    She asked if she’d be able to play golf afterwards and they said ‘yes’. She was delighted with that because she had never played golf before the op! 😂

  4. #3
    I think it was channel five tonight i saw an ad for a prog showing the full knee replacement op. Worth a watch maybe

  5. #4
    @hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Blackpool
    Age
    58
    Posts
    49,271
    Quote Originally Posted by 3pm View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My Ma has had both her knees replaced in the last couple of years.

    Hospital for 3 nights, feels better for it. You’ll need to do your exercises afterwards to aid the healing process.

    She asked if she’d be able to play golf afterwards and they said ‘yes’. She was delighted with that because she had never played golf before the op! ��
    I'm fine with the rehab, i will do whats needed. Tell yer ma i will take her on anytime.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. S View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think it was channel five tonight i saw an ad for a prog showing the full knee replacement op. Worth a watch maybe
    Cheers, i will watch that, although i have seen the full operation on youtube, which i have to say put me off a bit.

  6. #5
    Coaching Staff HUTCHYHIBBY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    EDINBURGH
    Age
    47
    Posts
    15,123
    My old dear had both knees done over the last few years, she is currently in the ERI after having one of them removed due to an infection (there was talk last week of the leg having to be removed from just above the knee) she's in all sorts at the moment, sorry G! 😬
    Last edited by HUTCHYHIBBY; 14-11-2018 at 09:44 PM.

  7. #6
    Coaching Staff Smartie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Age
    41
    Posts
    8,183
    My grandad had both his knees replaced at 70 years old, and it gave him a new lease of life. He'd spent much of his working life carrying sacks of coal about, he'd been in the army, played loads of sports over the years and it knackered his joints.

    He then had them both re-done in his 90s though, so I don't think I'd expect them to last a lifetime.

    I suspect that the technology will have improved since then though, as we're talking a few decades ago that he first had them done and things will have moved on.

    Hip replacements tend to be the shortest recovery time, knees can be a slower and more painful recovery.

  8. #7
    @hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    57
    Posts
    26,314
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not sure if this is the right place for this, but i have suffered with a bad knee for years, so much so i have been told by the surgeon i need a new knee.

    It will be done in the next 10 weeks.

    Has anyone here had one of these done, if so what is it like now?

    Can you do more than you could do before the op, is it more stable, is it better?

    Any information would be good, as i'm golf mad, but it has been a struggle this year without a buggy to get me round the course.
    Think you’ll sail through it, know a few people who’ve had it done

    Only downside I believe is they do this with a local anaesthetic, don’t put you to sleep

  9. #8
    @hibs.net private member 3pm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Age
    39
    Posts
    11,464
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Think you’ll sail through it, know a few people who’ve had it done

    Only downside I believe is they do this with a local anaesthetic, don’t put you to sleep
    The guy who was in at the same time as my Ma woke up during it! 😂

  10. #9
    @hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Blackpool
    Age
    58
    Posts
    49,271
    Quote Originally Posted by 3pm View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The guy who was in at the same time as my Ma woke up during it! 😂

    Will you be quiet.

  11. #10
    My old man had one of his knees done about 8/9 years ago. Was back walking within a couple of days and was signed off by the physio after a couple of sessions. Reckons he’d get it done quicker with hindsight. Went through years of trying to avoid it beforehand.

    By contract, I had a mosaicplasty in July to repair some knee cartilage damage after falling off my bike and I’m still in rehab/physio!

  12. #11
    @hibs.net private member 3pm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Age
    39
    Posts
    11,464
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Will you be quiet.
    Sorry! 😂

  13. #12
    @hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Corstorphine
    Age
    52
    Posts
    1,946
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not sure if this is the right place for this, but i have suffered with a bad knee for years, so much so i have been told by the surgeon i need a new knee.

    It will be done in the next 10 weeks.

    Has anyone here had one of these done, if so what is it like now?

    Can you do more than you could do before the op, is it more stable, is it better?

    Any information would be good, as i'm golf mad, but it has been a struggle this year without a buggy to get me round the course.

    My mum has had hip, knee and elbow replacement. Made a huge difference to her. Recovery time is pretty quuck as long as you do the physio.

  14. #13
    My Grandad got both his done in his early 60s. Says it was the best thing he ever did and improved his mobility and quality of life massively. He's having a bit bother with them again now but the op was the best part of 25 years ago.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

  15. #14
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,770
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Think you’ll sail through it, know a few people who’ve had it done

    Only downside I believe is they do this with a local anaesthetic, don’t put you to sleep
    This is not the case thankfully.

    Spinal block with sedation most commonly, like all surgery it carries risks but in terms of decreasing pain and increased function total knee replacements have generally good outcomes.

    Not a fun day out though for the patient it has to be said.

  16. #15
    @hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Blackpool
    Age
    58
    Posts
    49,271
    Quote Originally Posted by EskbankHibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is not the case thankfully.

    Spinal block with sedation most commonly, like all surgery it carries risks but in terms of decreasing pain and increased function total knee replacements have generally good outcomes.

    Not a fun day out though for the patient it has to be said.

    I had watched the op on youtube a while back, but seeing it on tv in all its glory last night was a little harrowing to say the least.

    As you say not a fun day, but if it is better afterwards, i think it will be well worth the pain, as i'm fed up to the back teeth of what i'm going through now.

  17. #16
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    8,922
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I had watched the op on youtube a while back, but seeing it on tv in all its glory last night was a little harrowing to say the least.

    As you say not a fun day, but if it is better afterwards, i think it will be well worth the pain, as i'm fed up to the back teeth of what i'm going through now.
    How long is the recovery forecast before you get back on the golf course?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  18. #17
    @hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Blackpool
    Age
    58
    Posts
    49,271
    Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How long is the recovery forecast before you get back on the golf course?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I never asked, i did not want him to know i was still playing albeit rarely these days.

  19. #18
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    8,922
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I never asked, i did not want him to know i was still playing albeit rarely these days.
    Ahh OK, that was brave of you

  20. #19
    @hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Blackpool
    Age
    58
    Posts
    49,271
    Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ahh OK, that was brave of you

    I went round the course 5 weeks ago with a buggy, for 3 days afterwards, i couldn't leave the house. I'm not sure telling him i could still play the odd round would have been in my interest.

    A friend of a friend had a new knee 8 weeks ago this friday, he apparently did 18 holes on Monday without any difficulty.

    I'd take that.

  21. #20
    @hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The 'Mains
    Posts
    3,135
    As others have said, do the physio, it's really important to the final outcome. I'll also add do whatever you can before hand to build up the muscles, swimming being a good shout as doing what you can before and then physio after make a huge difference.

    My wife's had both done and didn't bother too much the 1st time, the 2nd time she recovered in under half the time.

    Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    "The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."
    --Joe Theisman, NFL football quarterback & sports analyst.

  22. #21
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    8,922
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I went round the course 5 weeks ago with a buggy, for 3 days afterwards, i couldn't leave the house. I'm not sure telling him i could still play the odd round would have been in my interest.

    A friend of a friend had a new knee 8 weeks ago this friday, he apparently did 18 holes on Monday without any difficulty.

    I'd take that.
    Ha ha I take your point!

    Well best of luck anyway and if you can get back on the course sine buggy in a couple of months then that will be a great result

  23. #22
    @hibs.net private member McD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Livingston
    Age
    38
    Posts
    2,057
    My wife has had both knees replaced, as has been said a few times, doing the physio afterwards makes a huge difference.

    its transformed her life tbh, such an increased mobility, confidence, and lifestyle.


    fingers crossed for a smooth op and quick recovery mate

  24. #23
    guy that works with us had both knees done, second one was done in may last year, now cant walk properly because of issues with it and having to get the op done again. Hopefully yours isnt as bad and it all goes smoothly

  25. #24
    @hibs.net private member I'm_cabbaged's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Age
    49
    Posts
    4,909
    Quote Originally Posted by EskbankHibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is not the case thankfully.

    Spinal block with sedation most commonly, like all surgery it carries risks but in terms of decreasing pain and increased function total knee replacements have generally good outcomes.

    Not a fun day out though for the patient it has to be said.
    Do you work in the royal?

  26. #25
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,770
    Quote Originally Posted by I'm_cabbaged View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Do you work in the royal?
    No, I don’t work at the royal.

  27. #26
    @hibs.net private member Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    North stand
    Posts
    16,559
    Mother in law had one replaced and apparently it’s worse than a hip replacement.

    Once the initial pain is over it’s fantastic. You’ll be a new man.

  28. #27
    Coaching Staff The Green Goblin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    6,145
    Quote Originally Posted by 3pm View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The guy who was in at the same time as my Ma woke up during it! 😂
    Was he screaming and screaming and screaming??

  29. #28
    @hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Blackpool
    Age
    58
    Posts
    49,271
    Pre op on Monday the 10th of December, and operation on the 3rd of January, cant bloody wait.

  30. #29
    @hibs.net private member McD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Livingston
    Age
    38
    Posts
    2,057
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pre op on Monday the 10th of December, and operation on the 3rd of January, cant bloody wait.

    Good luck mate, your life will be the better for it

  31. #30
    @hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Blackpool
    Age
    58
    Posts
    49,271
    Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good luck mate, your life will be the better for it
    Cheers, i hope so as it has made my normal day to day life a challenge recently, not knowing if i could walk one day to the next.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved