hibs.net Messageboard

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    James Collins knocked his pan in all game, probably had quite a few ineffective touches per game and scored 6 goals in 36 games. Now he’s the definition of gash.

I’d rather MacLaren on the park scoring his 1 in 2 than someone pish like Collins or Curtis Main.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member oldbutdim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Ingram View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He absolutely was not. Lineker like Ian Rush, knocked his pan in. They were constantly pressing.

I don't think MacLaren is lazy, just gash.

I'm now trying to decide whether this comparison with Lineker is worse than the person who compared MacLaren to Aguero yesterday.

Thanks, I think you've made that clear.
    It's also clear that you aint gonna change that view any time soon, so maybe it's time to stop repeating it.

I'm sure any of our players reading your helpful and oft repeated view of his gashness will be inspired to new heights.

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Some quotes

Dimitar Berbatov: "You are not going to see me puffing around the pitch. There is a saying in Bulgaria that great quality doesn't require much effort."

"I have watched Gary Lineker never kick a ball in a game and still end up with two goals," said Sir Alex Ferguson

Matt Le Tissier wasn't lazy, according to Saints fans, he was just 'more energy efficient'!

You realise that touching the ball doesn't mean you're doing nowt, like Lineker etc it's all about creating space and being i the right place when it matters, or we could go back to running around looking energetic but being crap at scoring like we've had in the past.
    2 great examples for me as Spurs fan.

Berbatov was a lazy *******. Absolutely ridiculously lazy and why he got bombed out at Man U in the end. He didn't even make the squad for their CL Final at Wembley that year and he was their top goalscorer. He still got involved in the play. He arguably did more outside the box.

Le Tissier was a self confessed lazy *******. Played in a completely different position to MacLaren.

Not sure eithers relevance to Jamie MacLaren.

That sounds like a throw away line for Ferguson re Lineker and very harsh. I used to watch playing for up front for Spurs with Paul Stewart, Paul Walsh and Gordon Durie and his hold up play was excellent. He played up front on his own a lot as well like he did in the Spurs 1991 FA Cup win. You aren't going to be able to do that if you can't hold the ball up. He was lightening quick as well and could beat a man. Johan Cruyff used to play him on the right wing at Barca which must have been really tricky fro someone who never touched the ball.

A fine example of him getting involved in the build up play, skinning one of the best Centre Backs in English football history here including a nice wee tap in for the Jamie MacLaren fans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyyWxWxkpEU

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    2 great examples for me as Spurs fan.

Berbatov was a lazy *******. Absolutely ridiculously lazy and why he got bombed out at Man U in the end. He didn't even make the squad for their CL Final at Wembley that year and he was their top goalscorer. He still got involved in the play. He arguably did more outside the box.

Le Tissier was a self confessed lazy *******. Played in a completely different position to MacLaren.

Not sure eithers relevance to Jamie MacLaren.

That sounds like a throw away line for Ferguson re Lineker and very harsh. I used to watch playing for up front for Spurs with Paul Stewart, Paul Walsh and Gordon Durie and his hold up play was excellent. He played up front on his own a lot as well like he did in the Spurs 1991 FA Cup win. You aren't going to be able to do that if you can't hold the ball up. He was lightening quick as well and could beat a man. Johan Cruyff used to play him on the right wing at Barca which must have been really tricky fro someone who never touched the ball.

A fine example of him getting involved in the build up play, skinning one of the best Centre Backs in English football history here including a nice wee tap in for the Jamie MacLaren fans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyyWxWxkpEU
    Seemed to take more touches in his second goal than Jamie MAC has in a whole game

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    James Collins knocked his pan in all game, probably had quite a few ineffective touches per game and scored 6 goals in 36 games. Now he’s the definition of gash.

I’d rather MacLaren on the park scoring his 1 in 2 than someone pish like Collins or Curtis Main.

Yet since leaving Hibs he's played 193 times for Shrewsbury, Northampton, Crawley and Luton scoring 71 goals. He was gash for us though.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Seemed to take more touches in his second goal than Jamie MAC has in a whole game
    Exactly

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Does it ever cross your mind that you seem to be in the minority in your “Jamie MAC is gash” crusade?
    I said this elsewhere yesterday so it’s not specifically a go at you because there’s numerous other posters have made similar comments aswell but what’s with the attitude on here that the majority are always correct and if your opinion isn’t the commonly held opinion that you shouldn’t be posting it?

Does it matter that he’s in the minority? Why should it cross his mind? Does being in the minority make his opinion invalid? Would be an awfy boring place if everyone just posted whatever the opinion was that was held by the majority.

There’s another post on this thread asking WI to stop “repeating himself”. He is repeating himself to an extent because he’s replying to all the other posts, absolutely, but the posters on the other side of the fence are doing the same thing and yet that doesn’t seem to be an issue?

First Team Regular
    Gash is harsh. He's good at poaching, just dreadful outside the penalty area.
    As was Cummings

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmcd View Post
    As was Cummings
    Covered that comparison earlier

@hibs.net private member oldbutdim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post

There’s another post on this thread asking WI to stop “repeating himself”.
    That's maybe mine.

He is repeating himself to an extent because he’s replying to all the other posts, absolutely, but the posters on the other side of the fence are doing the same thing and yet that doesn’t seem to be an issue?
    He's entitled to reply of course. that's the whole point isn't it?
    But if you think that repeately abusing a Hibs player - (because "He's gash" is just slating the guy) is the same as folk saying "He isn't" then I have to disagree with you.

It's not a debate or a discussion - at least not one that will come to any conclusion.

I'll bugger off and find a thread that isn't quite so abusive towards one of our players, this isn't for me.

I said this elsewhere yesterday so it’s not specifically a go at you because there’s numerous other posters have made similar comments aswell but what’s with the attitude on here that the majority are always correct and if your opinion isn’t the commonly held opinion that you shouldn’t be posting it?

Does it matter that he’s in the minority? Why should it cross his mind? Does being in the minority make his opinion invalid? Would be an awfy boring place if everyone just posted whatever the opinion was that was held by the majority.

There’s another post on this thread asking WI to stop “repeating himself”. He is repeating himself to an extent because he’s replying to all the other posts, absolutely, but the posters on the other side of the fence are doing the same thing and yet that doesn’t seem to be an issue?
    Have you too not already said as much...said as much....said as much.....as much.....as much.....much
    Agree to disagree, as suggested about 23 pages back.
    FFS I'm a f***king echo masel now.....masel now.....masel now

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Yet since leaving Hibs he's played 193 times for Shrewsbury, Northampton, Crawley and Luton scoring 71 goals. He was gash for us though.
    Was playing at a much higher level when he was with us. Imagine Kamberi lining up against the likes of Forest Green Rovers

@hibs.net private member SRHibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Limit Break PSN ID: cyniUK
    As was Cummings
    This is a myth. Cummings definitely had the Riordan-esque ability to "create a goal out of nothing", although obviously not to the same degree. I would definitely say Cummings is a better all round player than Maclaren, although he didn't exactly set the heather on fire at The Rangers.

I feel like Maclaren is a situational player. Last season he was extremely useful because we were creating chances constantly, regardless of who we were playing against. This season we don't have that same level of control in the midfield, so when we play stronger teams, the strikers just aren't getting anywhere near the same service. Kamberi adds a lot to the team despite this, however when we aren't controlling the game Maclaren feels like a man down. There's definitely a place for him in the squad, but I don't necessarily know if he should be starting every week.

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by SRHibs View Post
    This is a myth. Cummings definitely had the Riordan-esque ability to "create a goal out of nothing", although obviously not to the same degree. I would definitely say Cummings is a better all round player than Maclaren, although he didn't exactly set the heather on fire at The Rangers.

I feel like Maclaren is a situational player. Last season he was extremely useful because we were creating chances constantly, regardless of who we were playing against. This season we don't have that same level of control in the midfield, so when we play stronger teams, the strikers just aren't getting anywhere near the same service. Kamberi adds a lot to the team despite this, however when we aren't controlling the game Maclaren feels like a man down. There's definitely a place for him in the squad, but I don't necessarily know if he should be starting every week.
    Obviously I disagree but just my opinion but to compare Cummings to Riordan is very strange

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SallyCinnamon View Post
    Was playing at a much higher level when he was with us. Imagine Kamberi lining up against the likes of Forest Green Rovers
    That's debatable tbh honest. There are clubs in this league above League 1 level and there are certainly teams below that standard.

I find it difficult to be harsh on Collins as he was one of many players who performed well for other clubs before getting here and then was subsequently ruined by Terry Butcher and Maurice Malpas.

He's certainly recovered his career after leaving here.

That's debatable tbh honest. There are clubs in this league above League 1 level and there are certainly teams below that standard.

I find it difficult to be harsh on Collins as he was one of many players who performed well for other clubs before getting here and then was subsequently ruined by Terry Butcher and Maurice Malpas.

I didn't think he was all that bad to be honest. As another poster said, he knocked his pan in for us. The derby goal certainly makes me remember him in a better light.

Yep, there is a huge gulf in standard between Celtic and Dundee - a few English leagues worth.

I always thought Collins could have done with being more like McLaren - stay up there and let the rest of them make chances. Sadly that team was so lacking in creativity he tried to do it all himself which ultimately did him no favours.

Blog Entries
    Obviously I disagree but just my opinion but to compare Cummings to Riordan is very strange
    I don't think he was saying he was as good but certainly could create a goal out of nothing. i.e his goal against Sevco where he took a ball in to he feet from a throw, turned his marker with a wee dummy and then pinged it in the corner from 25 yards. Or the numerous free-kicks he scored for us.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SallyCinnamon View Post
    I didn't think he was all that bad to be honest. As another poster said, he knocked his pan in for us. The derby goal certainly makes me remember him in a better light.
    He definitely worked very hard. One of the hardest workers i can remember playing for us.

Even when his form fell off a cliff from the end of December he still knocked his pan in.

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    He definitely worked very hard. One of the hardest workers i can remember playing for us.

Even when his form fell off a cliff from the end of December he still knocked his pan in.
    Collins might’ve worked hard but he was hopeless. I’m baffled that some seem to be speaking about him in a positive light while calling MacLaren, a striker that actually scores goals, gash.

Congratulations Callum you have just lost Oldbutdim with your negative posts slagging off one of our main strikers well played you should be reported to admins! 😂

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    What a depressing thread, the same handful of posters repeating their positions over and over.

One side appears unwilling to acknowledge any constructive criticism made, the other making some unconstructive and petty points in amongst genuine points. With the rest of sitting somewhere in the middle waiting for the thread to drop down the first page.

Quite incredible that this thread has got to 11 pages. An odd sort of achievement in a way tbh.

Out of interest to the OP, has anyone ever said JM was a "very good footballer"?? He's a very good goal getter, and once that skill - over a reasonable period of time when he's fully fit - can be empirically proven to have waned, I'll get concerned.

Until that time, him and Flo remain my 1st choice 2 up front.
    Last edited by lyonhibs; 14-11-2018 at 06:07 AM.

@hibs.net private member FitbaFolkKen's Avatar
    Ironic considering you've already quoted this.

Left by mutual consent!
    MacLaren is a fine player for us.

Quote Originally Posted by FitbaFolkKen View Post
    Ironic considering you've already quoted this.
    Underlying thread theme 😁

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Collins might’ve worked hard but he was hopeless. I’m baffled that some seem to be speaking about him in a positive light while calling MacLaren, a striker that actually scores goals, gash.
    Yes this thread has taken an altogether bizarre turn James Collins is being praised now, the world has gone mad.

Won’t someone think of the children if this debacle is allowed to continue?

Can’t we just agree that MacLaren is amazigash?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Yes this thread has taken an altogether bizarre turn James Collins is being praised now, the world has gone mad.
    Where has Collins been praised?