hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: slivka - why?

Technical ability is there.

Shooting needs work and I agree he needs to add the dirty "Shinnie" side to his game. If he can do that and he is played in his actual position he will be good. Too much going against him and people forget he is still a young guy aswell.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by hibeerealist View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    have you seen him go into any 50/50’ S Callum, I certainly haven’t. Big guy with heart of a mouse

Add Mallan into that too and 2/3 of your midfield can’t/won’t tackle in an away game at Aberdeen.

Madness.

I’d have played Milligan & Bartley in midfield tonight and dropped Slivka. Same at Tynie

Said from day one I didn’t think he looked good enough. I think goals against rangers and Celtic bought him time. In games like last night, he doesn’t know what he’s doing, for the size of man that he is, he looks scared to commit to any challenges. Would rather we had kept Scott Martin and moved slivka on.

Quote Originally Posted by Callum_62 View Post
    Swansons not here anymore- had about 1 decent half game in his time here (and even then folk are hamming it up a bit coz he outmuscled scott brown)

Slivka is still here

The folk that see them day in day out decided that

I know who id trust to judge the merits of them both- in fact it just reaffirms my thoughts on each of them)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ah the old arguement of the manager and coaches see them in training in everyday and therefore always know best. They don't always get it right and will make errors of judgement like everyone in any profession.

Managers often make mistakes and continue to persist with players that are clearly not good enough.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibee_girl View Post

I really like him, some folk on here act like he’s the worst player to ever have played for us. It’s crazy

He’s constantly played out of position which can’t help him. A decent run in the team in his natural position and I think we’ll see the player we all hoped we were getting.
    He doesn’t deserve a decent run in the team, he’s had enough opportunities to show a hell of a lot more than he has. We can’t afford to give a guy who rarely shows anything worthwhile 5 or 6 starts in a row in the middle of the pitch. He was in his natural position last night and yet again he played the ghost role.

Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    Are you having a laugh? Swanson was the best player on the park against Celtic in the 2-1 game last season and slivka hasn't reached that level of performance ever in a hibs shirt.i defended slivka last season but he's shown nothing this season to show he is going to make it at hibs. Swanson also wasn't allowed to be great for us because he wasn't given the chance a lot of the time. It's criminal that A- Whittaker was being selected ahead of him (and bartley) in the run in last season and that slivka is currently still at the club ahead of him this season. He's a creative midfielder which is what we are badly lacking and he's a better one at that than Hyndman and slivka
    Swanson wasn't close to the best player than day. McGinn and Lewis much better. Didn't Swanson go off for Slivka who bloody scored the winner?

Slivkas performance at Ibrox in the 3-2 is far better than anything Swanson ever showed.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicho87 View Post
    Said from day one I didn’t think he looked good enough. I think goals against rangers and Celtic bought him time. In games like last night, he doesn’t know what he’s doing, for the size of man that he is, he looks scared to commit to any challenges. Would rather we had kept Scott Martin and moved slivka on.
    Is that Scott Martin who couldn't even get close enough to Skivka to foul him when we pumped Hamilton 6-0? Slivka made him look like a lost schoolboy that day.

I've not seen laat nights game so this is a more general point.

I've always rated the guy and said I thought he would step up and be a big player for us. I still think he looks technically sound and shows flashes. However whilst it may just be a case of the Scottish game not suiting him or he's stunted in his development I just don't seem him becoming the player we all hoped for at Hibs. I certainly don't see a player like Slivka forming part of a midfield that will get the results and performances that we need to compete for 2nd and 3rd in the league. I just can't pick out what he's really good at; with players like McGinn or Scott Brown or even a guy like Gary MacKay- Steven there are 1 or 2 elements of their game you can clearly see are a key attribute. Slivka is just a bit ok. I don't see him grabbing a game by the scruff of the neck, he can't dictate from deep like McGeough, he's not quick, he doesn't seem to have a moment of magic in his locker and he doesn't seem the battling type.

I hate writing Hibs players off but I think Slivka has to start proving his worth soon or we need to look for better in January.

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    Ah the old arguement of the manager and coaches see them in training in everyday and therefore always know best. They don't always get it right and will make errors of judgement like everyone in any profession.

Managers often make mistakes and continue to persist with players that are clearly not good enough.
    Your right but binning Swanson & Martin and keeping Slivka is an absolute no brainer

Slivka has no heart. He just drifts in midfield. If we are playing well he’ll look ok but if we need to fight he will look terrible. He certainly won’t be the one to take the game by the scruff of the neck.
    Because he is an international he should be fairly easy to move on and we should do so in January if we can and use the money it frees up to get a midfielder in who is willing to battle to win games.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbo27 View Post
    He's terrible. Absolutely terrible.

He reminds me of Tudor Jones
    Wow.......

Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    Are you having a laugh? Swanson was the best player on the park against Celtic in the 2-1 game last season and slivka hasn't reached that level of performance ever in a hibs shirt.i defended slivka last season but he's shown nothing this season to show he is going to make it at hibs. Swanson also wasn't allowed to be great for us because he wasn't given the chance a lot of the time. It's criminal that A- Whittaker was being selected ahead of him (and bartley) in the run in last season and that slivka is currently still at the club ahead of him this season. He's a creative midfielder which is what we are badly lacking and he's a better one at that than Hyndman and slivka
    Okay, I've changed my mind. THIS is the funniest post I've ever read on .net. Take a bow, Mr or Mrs Swanson.

It’s Football, even the beloved Lennon can see things differently from the next man. Players are sent on a pitch to do a certain job and we should only presume Slivka does what he is asked of. If he doesn’t do as told he should be dropped. If he does his role as asked I can see why he plays. Then the question becomes WTF has Lennon told him to do? I would question the manager before Slivka.

Quote Originally Posted by SingaporeHibs View Post
    It’s Football, even the beloved Lennon can see things differently from the next man. Players are sent on a pitch to do a certain job and we should only presume Slivka does what he is asked of. If he doesn’t do as told he should be dropped. If he does his role as asked I can see why he plays. Then the question becomes WTF has Lennon told him to do? I would question the manager before Slivka.
    Spot on. He's obviously doing what the manager wants or he wouldn't continually pick him

You've got to love this thread.

Somebody mentioned Gary 'Medals' Mackay and Slivka in the same sentence.

Like comparing a turd to a polished diamond.

I'll take Slivka any day.