hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Who is not good enough?

In years gone by, I cound name 8 -10 players not good enough to play for Hibs.

Nothing like that now, but we’ve now lost 2 on the trot, so my question is, who from the current team is not good enough to match our / Lennon’s ambitions?

I believe we should be competing for 3rd spot, where do we need to improve to achieve this???

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sauzee6_2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In years gone by, I cound name 8 -10 players not good enough to play for Hibs.

Nothing like that now, but we’ve now lost 2 on the trot, so my question is, who from the current team is not good enough to match our / Lennon’s ambitions?

I believe we should be competing for 3rd spot, where do we need to improve to achieve this???
    If we want to compete for top four then Slivka and Hyndman are the ones that jump out so far this season.

McGregor. Decent player but needs to drop out when Hanlon is back. I think he's just getting on a bit and his fitness issues are maybe getting the better of him

Porteous, Mallan and Boyle were very poor tonight but think it would be harsh to say they’re not good enough.

Porteous and Mallan are young with a lot to learn but have potential to become very decent players and Boyle has been brilliant previously.

Slivka however is IMO not good enough.

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Jellzy
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    If we want to compete for top four then Slivka and Hyndman are the ones that jump out so far this season.
    Before tonight I'd have said the same. After tonight Slivka has given me no reason to change my mind. Hyndman didn't play but honestly he wouldn't have done any more than Slivka, Mallan and Boyle. Send him back to his parent club as he's done nothing. Genuinely doesn't look interested when he plays and doesn't appear to be enjoying his time here.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Slivka has not shown enough since coming to us and I don't understand why he still gets a start when the last time he made a difference was against Celtic last season. Hyndman apart from the Hamilton game has done nothing. The rest are all good on their day.

My main issue is once again we have signed players who have come on for about 10 minutes (in Mavrias' case, not at all) and Lennon has decided "nope, not playing them ever again, just going to keep selecting from the pool of underperforming players constantly". What's the point of Nelom and Mavrias - surely we could have spent their combined wage on someone who will definitely improve the team? Lennon did this last year with Matulevicius and Rherras and I don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by samcrowe View Post
    McGregor. Decent player but needs to drop out when Hanlon is back. I think he's just getting on a bit and his fitness issues are maybe getting the better of him
    Defo. Great tracking back to save Bogdan from a red face but he generally makes so many rash mistakes. Him and Porteous in the same team is just too risky.

Not based on tonight but we seem to have a lot of older defenders who`ve had fitness problems or are simply getting slower . Would hope to see a couple of new defenders next season if not sooner . Not enough competition further forward so likes of Boyle know they`re guaranteed a place even when off form .

Tonight, almost all of them.

Not being hysterical, I think we're having the usual issue of beyond our top 13-14 players the quality, or at least consistency of quality, drops off pretty dramatically.

Lennon signed them all, if they're not good enough he's to blame.

Milligan and Ambrose ok. The rest absolutely awful and that includes Aberdeen apart from GMS who was excellent yet again

They're all good enough.

Collectively it's not happened over the past few games.

Gray and Hanlon return, add a striker and a Scott Allan type character and we're a different team.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    They're all good enough.

Gray and Hanlon return, add a striker and a Scott Allan type character and we're a different team.
    So who would you drop / sign as a replacement??

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    They are all good enough, they're just not performing to their best at the minute.

The international break has came at a good time for us this time. Let's see where we are after the next 4 games before declaring none of our players good enough to play for Hibs.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    A lot of the fans who go hysterically over the top with a disappointment result.

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Lennon signed them all, if they're not good enough he's to blame.
    And there it is...

Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    A lot of the fans who go hysterically over the top with a disappointment result.
    With several disappointing performances and results.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    They're all good enough.

Team game innit? I bet these same players with a bit of confidence and some consistency will do pretty well in the next few months. If we keep getting disruptions to the team with injuries/suspensions and off field stuff with Lennon, it might go the other way.. Some strong leaders in the team with the desire to make a difference will be essential. If Milligan, Ambrose, Gray, McGregor and the other experienced players keep the faith we'll come good.

Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    And there it is...
    How much say does manager have in signings ? Other times we`ve read about how thorough our recruitmenmt team is . Anyway , are new players only ones who are not up to last year`s standards ?

I'm convinced that losing all of the following players will do us absolutely no harm at all:

Slivka
    .........brings nothing aside from bitty and intermittant wee bright moments
    Hyndman......has been average with the odd moment here and there
    Whittaker......has been okay-ish here and there, but has lost all his pace and is definitely not top 4 SPL standard any more
    Nelom.......has brought zilch
    Agyepong....it just hasn't happened for him for one reason or another (injuries aside)

I'm also now starting to question and doubt Horgan...a player who started off so brightly for us this season, but has either dropped off or found his true level. His all action style is reminiscent of Murray, whom Neil Lennon quickly off-loaded....headless chicken is a trifle unfair but he's not far off being one.

Coaching Staff
    Only two things I would 'worry' about are Mavrias not even getting a look in yet despite his decent credentials and with SDG being out, and young Agyepong looking as if he has Tim Clancy's groins on loan and young Brandon Barker's 'play two games, out for 6' attitude when he feels a 'twinge'. Very winnable games coming up to alleviate the fears, but these two players (and Nelom once fit) would appear to be nothing more than jersey fillers at present and that's not what Lennon and Leeann said would happen pre-season.

We have a great squad, but for me certain players need to question the heart and desire of a few of them. Then it'll be sorted. Always happens in a dressing room. We'll improve as the season goes on, but the recent distractions and focus on Lennon hasn't helped us one little bit. Aberdeen suffered when the media focus was completely focused on DM and The Rangers job - think they went on a wee bad run then too - so we shouldn't underestimate the pressure Tynecastle events and comments thereafter have affected our manager.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by IberianHibernian View Post
    How much say does manager have in signings ? Other times we`ve read about how thorough our recruitmenmt team is . Anyway , are new players only ones who are not up to last year`s standards ?
    Precisely. But, you know, any route to having a pop at Neil make some people happy.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    Only two things I would 'worry' about are Mavrias not even getting a look in yet despite his decent credentials and with SDG being out, and young Agyepong looking as if he has Tim Clancy's groins on loan and young Brandon Barker's 'play two games, out for 6' attitude when he feels a 'twinge'. Very winnable games coming up to alleviate the fears, but these two players (and Nelom once fit) would appear to be nothing more than jersey fillers at present and that's not what Lennon and Leeann said would happen pre-season.

We have a great squad, but for me certain players need to question the heart and desire of a few of them. Then it'll be sorted. Always happens in a dressing room. We'll improve as the season goes on, but the recent distractions and focus on Lennon hasn't helped us one little bit. Aberdeen suffered when the media focus was completely focused on DM and The Rangers job - think they went on a wee bad run then too - so we shouldn't underestimate the pressure Tynecastle events and comments thereafter have affected our manager.

Splendid stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by SallyCinnamon View Post
    Milligan and Ambrose ok. The rest absolutely awful and that includes Aberdeen apart from GMS who was excellent yet again
    Ambrose OK? You can't be serious?

The ball was rolling away at corners tonight, folk were miscontrolling balls left right and centre. Both teams. Do you not think the 40mph winds had anything do with it? Apart from getting caught out by a sloppy pass, and BTW there loads, Aberdeen didn't have a sniff.

OK it's a ***** result, but some perspective is needed. Aberdeen are no mugs.

@hibs.net private member
    I think 2 losses on the trot is not a good reason to diss the players HOWEVER I do feel that Slivka is getting his chance and not impressing at all and Maclaren worries me (but he is just back from Injury)

Good enough for what/where?

Would anyone argue that an English div2 club could outwage us?
    So, would it be fair to suggest our SPL standard is lower?

So, good enough for where, as nobody's tried to take our current players from us?

Quote Originally Posted by HIBERNIAN-0762 View Post
    Ambrose OK? You can't be serious?
    I thought ambrose had a decent game. Got a bit freaky at times, but generally solid, as we're Stevenson, and Porteous.

Mcgregor I suppose was solid too, but I feel he charges about a wee bit too much. I wonder if he feels he needs to help out Porteous?

What was your take on Ambrose?

@hibs.net private member Alex Trager's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by beensaidbefore View Post
    The ball was rolling away at corners tonight, folk were miscontrolling balls left right and centre. Both teams. Do you not think the 40mph winds had anything do with it? Apart from getting caught out by a sloppy pass, and BTW there loads, Aberdeen didn't have a sniff.

OK it's a ***** result, but some perspective is needed. Aberdeen are no mugs.
    Whilst we may have been caught out by the wind or a miss placed pass. We had two or three really good chances second half. And we need to be taking them

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Boyle. Anonymous again. Championship player.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.