hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

James McClean (NHC)

All because he exercises his right to refuse to wear a poppy.

What a horrible event Remembrance Day has become.

https://youtu.be/h-7TWbUnWXo

2. Log in to remove the advert

Interestingly Matic not wearing one seems to be ok. He’s not Irish though, so that’s ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Interestingly Matic not wearing one seems to be ok. He’s not Irish though, so that’s ok.

Yup. And for very similar reasons to Maclean. He’s not a ‘fenian’ though so it’s fine.

Such a boring topic that gets dragged up every year. Who actually cares whether or not someone wears a poppy?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Such a boring topic that gets dragged up every year. Who actually cares whether or not someone wears a poppy?
    Idiots.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: GlasMatt PSN ID: mrxblaikiex
    Quote Originally Posted by Chorley Hibee View Post
    All because he exercises his right to refuse to wear a poppy.

What a horrible event Remembrance Day has become.

https://youtu.be/h-7TWbUnWXo
    Every year it seems to get worse against McClean.

Good on him I wouldn’t wear one either, different reasons though the whole charity campaign has been completely politicized over the years and hijacked by right wing nut jobs to show their “Britishness”

It’s a personal decision and I respect people’s choices both sides of the debate!

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Its more important to be seen to pay your respects than it is to actually pay your respects theses days.

Left by mutual consent!

This

Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    Its more important to be seen to pay your respects than it is to actually pay your respects theses days.
    A perfect summary of events.

Much is being made of various groups who will ignore the minutes silence on Sunday There is a thread on JKB already panning Celtic about their fans response to the upcoming Sunday game.
    I will be at the local memorial to the men who where killed in the two World Wars. During the brief service the traffic is halted by the police and the traffic queues in both directions and is held for 5 minutes or so. Ideal for the drivers to get out and pay their respects. As usual no engines will be turned off and the occupants of the cars can get their phones out and ignore what is taking place yards from
    them. It happens every year.

Testimonial Due
    The poppy thing is a mark of respect, but you don't have to ware one to show respect!

Most people who don't go to church or chapel still believe in God.

Everyone has the right to do their own thing, and as long as it does not interfere with anyone elses beliefs it should be fine!!!

in a nutshell

@hibs.net private member stu in nottingham's Avatar
    It becomes ever more tiresome each year. My grandfather was in the Gordon Highlanders in the First World War and my auld man nearly lost his life in the Merchant Navy in the following conflict. I absolutely know that neither of them would have given a toss whether somebody wore a red poppy a white one or none at all. That’s good enough for me.
    FAITH HOPE LOVE

My Blog:
    The Tears of a Clown

Stokes didn't wear one when all his Hibs teammates did. No one even noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by heid the baw View Post
    As it should be, personal choice. I am sure there are many public figures who would not wear one but do because of the fear of being abused. Welcome to Tommy Robinson's Britain.

Paying your respects has changed over the years.

Morons care.

Every single year.....

His choice and give his background and understandable one.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by heid the baw View Post
    How do you know then?

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Quote Originally Posted by ben johnson View Post
    Much is being made of various groups who will ignore the minutes silence on Sunday There is a thread on JKB already panning Celtic about their fans response to the upcoming Sunday game.
    I will be at the local memorial to the men who where killed in the two World Wars. During the brief service the traffic is halted by the police and the traffic queues in both directions and is held for 5 minutes or so. Ideal for the drivers to get out and pay their respects. As usual no engines will be turned off and the occupants of the cars can get their phones out and ignore what is taking place yards from
    them. It happens every year.
    I've been quite critical of the likes of James McClean in the past, I won't lie. Even last year, I found it unpalatable that all of the German players in the Huddersfield team he was playing against could wear a poppy to represent their club's wishes, but McClean couldn't. However, I've read some of the stuff he (and other Irish Republicans living during The Troubles) have said about the poppy and their experiences with the British Army and I can see his perspective. To me, if he (or Matic, or anyone else) chooses NOT to wear a poppy, that's entirely their business. One of the outcomes of past conflicts is that we have the freedom to make those choices, free from a fascist state. I realise that in being vocally critical of his choice to not wear a poppy, I was engaging in "poppy fascism", and I really disliked myself for it. I didn't make any effort to walk any distance in his shoes, I simply judged the man and his actions, which was abhorrently wrong.

However, if the Celtc fans rock up to Almondvale on Sunday and true to previous form disrupt the minute's silence, that's a different story for me. Stay outside the stadium, stand quietly and let the moment pass while allowing the players/Livingston fans, coaching staff etc to observe the silence should they wish...but in previous years, they've loudly jeered, sung Pro-IRA songs (against Falkirk) or shouted abuse at opposition fans, and that isn't on for me. They can elect not to involve themselves in proceedings, that's perfectly fine, but don't take away the opportunity for those fans by behaving like utter cretins.

No-one should be made to wear a poppy. It's at complete odds with what the poppy is supposed to represent.

I personally disagree with James McClean but that's not the same as saying he has to wear one.

When someone is forced into doing something it becomes very little about paying respects and represents a form of fascism which is ironic given the efforts of the British Armed Forces in WWII.

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    I've been quite critical of the likes of James McClean in the past, I won't lie. Even last year, I found it unpalatable that all of the German players in the Huddersfield team he was playing against could wear a poppy to represent their club's wishes, but McClean couldn't. However, I've read some of the stuff he (and other Irish Republicans living during The Troubles) have said about the poppy and their experiences with the British Army and I can see his perspective. To me, if he (or Matic, or anyone else) chooses NOT to wear a poppy, that's entirely their business. One of the outcomes of past conflicts is that we have the freedom to make those choices, free from a fascist state. I realise that in being vocally critical of his choice to not wear a poppy, I was engaging in "poppy fascism", and I really disliked myself for it. I didn't make any effort to walk any distance in his shoes, I simply judged the man and his actions, which was abhorrently wrong.

However, if the Celtc fans rock up to Almondvale on Sunday and true to previous form disrupt the minute's silence, that's a different story for me. Stay outside the stadium, stand quietly and let the moment pass while allowing the players/Livingston fans, coaching staff etc to observe the silence should they wish...but in previous years, they've loudly jeered, sung Pro-IRA songs (against Falkirk) or shouted abuse at opposition fans, and that isn't on for me. They can elect not to involve themselves in proceedings, that's perfectly fine, but don't take away the opportunity for those fans by behaving like utter cretins.
    Did Celtc fans a few seasons ago stay outside a ground while a minute silence was being observed inside and sing there own ditties outside, they were singing a song about the poppy last week, "you can stick your f***ing poppy up your arse, right up"

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post
    Did Celtc fans a few seasons ago stay outside a ground while a minute silence was being observed inside and sing there own ditties outside, they were singing a song about the poppy last week, "you can stick your f***ing poppy up your arse, right up"
    Perhaps that's the Falkirk game I'm thinking of? I can't recall who they played last season (Aberdeen maybe?), but as soon as the microphones kicked back in again after the silence was over, the Aberdeen (or whoever it was) fans were universal in booing them.

They also had their giant banner at Celtc park a few years back about the "blood stained poppies".

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    I’m not wearing a poppy these days because I’m sick of the ‘patriotic’ outrage.

Come and get me, xenophobes.

I like that a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post
    Yep it was at Falkirk, this was the unedited version whereas Sky turned the mics off so it wasn't heard at the time.

Shameful and an utter embarrassment for Scottish football.

https://youtu.be/YW24N1G0WIk

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    I
    but in previous years, they've loudly jeered, sung Pro-IRA songs (against Falkirk)
    Matter of opinion as to whether the Aidan McAnespie song falls into that category. Coincidentally, I read recently that a former British soldier has been charged in connection with his death:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crim...ling-1.3536114

@hibs.net private member proud_and_green's Avatar
    I have to say I am becoming more and more uncomfortable with the populist remembrance bit and the 'if you don't shout to the rooftops your love and admiration for the armed forces then you must be against them and consequently should be strung up'.
    I say this as a veteran myself, I am proud of my service but I am fed up with the whole overkill and virtue signalling and the amount of respect you show being directly proportionate to the size of your poppy and the number of posts you put on Facebook showing your disgust at someone who didn't prostrate themselves in front of their local memorial after having crawled up to it on hands and knees.
    For me remembrance is a very personal thing, I used to get really embarrassed on occasion when people would come up in the street if I was in uniform and and give me the 'thank you for your service'.
    I don't parade with legion but I do take myself off and silently remember lost friends.
    I wonder sometimes if this and many other things are a sign of a people with nothing to believe in so they latch on to anything.
    If you want to wear a poppy do and thank you, if you don't that's fine too.
    The virtue signalling by the Jambos and Huns in particular is for me almost equivalent to stolen valour, by shouting about it so much they seem to want to associate themselves with the acts of the soldiers themselves almost as if they were the ones who made the sacrifice. I'll wager any amount that not many of those that shout the loudest were ever on a baseline in NI or on a freezing mountain top in Bosnia or mortared in Iraq or IEDd in Afghanistan or indeed bored rigid in any of those places.
    As someone else has already said, the poppies remember lives lost by people who gave their tomorrows so we could have our todays and free from exactly that type of bully boy oppression more commonly associated with brown and black shirts!

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by proud_and_green; 05-11-2018 at 09:42 PM.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    I used to wear a poppy every year, but this is the first year I won’t bother. It’s been hijacked by political groups and the media. I put a donation in the box on Saturday, but I didn’t take the poppy.
    Its a shame that something that was meant as a way to show respect has become the opposite.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    Paying your respects has changed over the years.

Just when you thought remembrance had reached a new low - you then see something like the above. 🙈
    Last edited by Chorley Hibee; 05-11-2018 at 09:36 PM.