hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes, the OP said JM had been anonymous in the last two games. The last two games being St. Johnstone and Hearts. I was therefore sarcastically giving my thoughts on his performance v hearts when he was, by all accounts per the OP "anonymous".

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    If we fail to score tomorrow that will be 287 minutes of football without a goal. We are really short on attacking options in my opinion. If Kamberi is out we are powderpuff up top. JM is not a lone striker and was largely anonymous in the last 2 matches and Shaw doesn't seem to be progressing much when he plays in the first team and Boyle is not an out and out striker. We created very little against Hearts and St Johnstone and its quite concerning. We simply can't rely on Mallan free kicks or his long range strikes all season.

A striker in January is a must along with Mr Allan for creativity please.

Tin hat on.
    I said some time ago that Kamberi has an issue that will hold him back this season. We do struggle without him. So I actually agree that a proper hold up striker is a must have for January. And i fully expect that we have someone lined up already.

Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    I said some time ago that Kamberi has an issue that will hold him back this season. We do struggle without him. So I actually agree that a proper hold up striker is a must have for January. And i fully expect that we have someone lined up already.
    Is this issue the limp he has had since the start of the season or something more psychological?

Testimonial Due Stokesy's on fire's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    If we fail to score tomorrow that will be 287 minutes of football without a goal. We are really short on attacking options in my opinion. If Kamberi is out we are powderpuff up top. JM is not a lone striker and was largely anonymous in the last 2 matches and Shaw doesn't seem to be progressing much when he plays in the first team and Boyle is not an out and out striker. We created very little against Hearts and St Johnstone and its quite concerning. We simply can't rely on Mallan free kicks or his long range strikes all season.

A striker in January is a must along with Mr Allan for creativity please.

Tin hat on.

Chill out

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Is this issue the limp he has had since the start of the season or something more psychological?

He has a knee issue. He has seen the surgeon various times and is working around it....but at some point he will need an op.

"Barren spell"

It's been two games without a goal....

Left by mutual consent!
    Following the 6-0 win over Hamilton we scored twice in a what was a very competitive game against Celtic (not many teams will do likewise) then drew a blank in a derby at Tynecastle - a result I would have taken before the game. The glaring error has been the loss against St Johnstone, a game we simply should not have struggled so badly in.

Yes, another front man would do us no harm, but with Maclaren and Kamberi finally fit to play together for the first time in months we'll hopefully get back on the goal trail tonight.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Ingram View Post
    Lennon's tactics have been very poor in the last 2 games.

The 3 at the back left us with very little creativity at the PBS and we loose a big threat when we move Boyle away from the wing.

Against St Johnstone, MacLaren as a lone striker was ridiculous choice. His alround game is just not good enough to play without a target man. Shaw though lacking is far better suited to that role.
    Boyle played a fair part of that game alongside Jamie. Neither were great however were living off scraps.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    In terms of numbers though, there is a point to make that no one came in for Murray leaving.

Agree with this Shaw has stood still and has not progressed at the hoped for rate he is starting to run out of chances maybe time to swap him in the pecking order with Lewis Allan who has done nothing wrong.
    Not quite sure what people’s reasonable expectations of Oli Shaw are. He’s done really well IMO. What sort of ‘progress’ were you hoping for from a young lad at this stage? And you would swap an older player for him because he’s done ‘nothing wrong’ in the 1 game he’s played? What has Oli ‘done wrong’ exactly?

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Boyle played a fair part of that game alongside Jamie. Neither were great however were living off scraps.
    He did. He changed when he realised that MacLaren can't play on his own, not that it made any difference as Boyle is a a similar type of striker.

Quote Originally Posted by Winston Ingram View Post
    He did. He changed when he realised that MacLaren can't play on his own, not that it made any difference as Boyle is a a similar type of striker.
    Very poor service for both. One good thing should be at least McLaren should be more match fit given he played the 90 last week can only be a good thing that he can link up with Flo which was an excellent partnership last season.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrekko View Post
    Not quite sure what people’s reasonable expectations of Oli Shaw are. He’s done really well IMO. What sort of ‘progress’ were you hoping for from a young lad at this stage? And you would swap an older player for him because he’s done ‘nothing wrong’ in the 1 game he’s played? What has Oli ‘done wrong’ exactly?
    Missed chances.
    The Aberdeen LCQF springs immediately to mind
    Time is running out for him I am afraid
    I feel and I am sure many other posters feel that he has not showed the natural progression improvement that one would have expected at our level
    If he scores tonight all will be forgiven obviously
    How old were Lawrie Reilly and Joe Baker when they were scoring goals for fun?

Missed chances.
    I feel and I am sure many other posters feel that he has not showed the natural progression improvement that one would have expected at our level
    He needs to play more regular thought he should have started last week however maybe not pulling up trees in training. Like him but still things to improve. If we are writing off players on the basis of missing chances in Aberdeen game there would be a long list.

Missed chances.
    100% agree

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    He needs to play more regular thought he should have started last week however maybe not pulling up trees in training. Like him but still things to improve. If we are writing off players on the basis of missing chances in Aberdeen game there would be a long list.
    Wasn’t just the missed chances it was also the wrong option every time when the simple ball was Flo in the middle for a tap in but you are correct he was not alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    You do realise that even after our barren spell, we're still the third highest scorers in the league?

We were actually top at some point. I think the last three games put paid to that. However, not many of those were scored by our recognized strikers (more on that below)

I watched us put in an unbelievably good performance against Aberdeen in the League Cup and fail to score over 120 minutes. We were crying out for a composed goalscorer that night.

As mentioned already, we can't rely on people like Mallan to get the goals in every game, especially as other teams have now realised just how dangerous he is and are marking him accordingly.

Blog Entries
    Picking up points tonight at Pittodrie is a huge ask and normally failing to do so would not be too unexpected or a major disappointment. The fact that we have dropped points to teams we really should be beating makes the performance and result more crucial. They’ll be going for a win as the home team so chances on the break will come our way. I hope we can cash in.

We have a very poor record up there, and not great against the Dons in general.

I hope I'm wrong, but I think we're about to go four games without a win

Missed chances.
    OK got it.... he's not Lawrie Reilly or Joe Baker. I understand now.

Strikers miss chances- just a fact of life I'm afraid and as has already been pointed out to you.. plenty other players missed chances v Aberdeen.... think Kamberi probably missed the easiest one. Jason Cummings missed plenty chances and took about 20 games to score.

Way too early to say time is running out for him. Ridiculous nonsense, particularly when you're pushing for someone with a far poorer record to be picked ahead of him.

Missed chances.
    What a ridiculous comparison and absurd thing to say. Time is running out According to who exactly?

Aberdeen game is the only one that springs to mind and he wasn't the only one.

This time last year he had played about 2 games, what natural progressing were you expecting?

Honestly one of the most laughable posts I've seen on here. Writing off a 20 year old who has done very little wrong since being thrown in. Hope he doesn't read this site.

People question players loyalty in the modern game but no wonder they move on when this is the support they get when things aren't going well.

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Shaw doesn’t have it imo. I’ll be surprised if he scores another 5 goals in Hibs colours before the Stanton and Harris-esque state of permanent loaning out begins.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    What a ridiculous comparison and absurd thing to say. Time is running out According to who exactly?

Aberdeen game is the only one that springs to mind and he wasn't the only one.

This time last year he had played about 2 games, what natural progressing were you expecting?

Honestly one of the most laughable posts I've seen on here. Writing off a 20 year old who has done very little wrong since being thrown in. Hope he doesn't read this site.

People question players loyalty in the modern game but no wonder they move on when this is the support they get when things aren't going well.
    Might have escaped your notice but football is all about opinions and it is a no from me.
    I am open to him changing my opinion based on what I have seen so far but I doubt it.
    I don’t see anyone else laughing

OK got it.... he's not Lawrie Reilly or Joe Baker. I understand now.

Strikers miss chances- just a fact of life I'm afraid and as has already been pointed out to you.. plenty other players missed chances v Aberdeen.... think Kamberi probably missed the easiest one. Jason Cummings missed plenty chances and took about 20 games to score.

Way too early to say time is running out for him. Ridiculous nonsense, particularly when you're pushing for someone with a far poorer record to be picked ahead of him.
    Sorry but still don’t see any improvement from this time last year.
    It’s a no.

Sorry but still don’t see any improvement from this time last year.
    It’s a no.
    No, it’s a no in your opinion which quite frankly is irrelevant to the boys career. I’d say he’s had maybe 2/3 not great games but mainly shown promise. If that’s you written him off at this stage then up to you. You should really be working in some top end talent evaluation team at a top club if you can make that call so easily.

Absolutely flabbergasted by your comments and shows how ridiculously impatient people are these days but not important.

You do realise the boy you’re touting for promotion in the squad couldn’t get a game for Edinburgh city a couple of years back aye?
    Last edited by Shrekko; 09-11-2018 at 02:51 PM.

Might have escaped your notice but football is all about opinions and it is a no from me.
    I am open to him changing my opinion based on what I have seen so far but I doubt it.
    I don’t see anyone else laughing
    It is all about opinions and that is mine. Don't understand why people hide behind that card, I didn't say that you aren't entitled to it. Just that its nonsense (in my opinion)

Writing off a 20 year old and saying his time is running out is just laughable. His time has hardly even started.
    He has alot more goals than Kamberi and Maclaren did at that age.

I'll trust the gaffer who brought him on in the semi Vs Celtic and started him at Tynecastle. The gaffer who started him in Europe and Vs Aberdeen in the QF. He's a good young player who needs support and time.
    Last edited by MWHIBBIES; 09-11-2018 at 03:00 PM.

Well whomever plays and however many goals we don't show, there'll be around a 1000 Hibs fans in attendance , as per the official site, which is a cracking effort, and a bit of a bloody nose to those saying we'd get little over half that because of wibble wibble

No, it’s a no in your opinion which quite frankly is irrelevant to the boys career. I’d say he’s had maybe 2/3 not great games but mainly shown promise. If that’s you written him off at this stage then up to you. You should really be working in some top end talent evaluation team at a top club if you can make that call so easily.

Absolutely flabbergasted by your comments and shows how ridiculously impatient people are these days but not important.
    Appreciate your point of view and respect your opinion but I am afraid my opinion represents many on this site I want the boy to do well I want him to kick on and be a huge success but like many others I am perhaps starting to grow frustrated as I am starting to give up hope of this happening as to me he seems to have stood still and has not improved at the same rate as say young Porteous. To me Olly seems to lack the physicality as what might look like fouls on him are just him getting brushed aside because he is too light and referees all too often wave play on. This was apparent in both matches against Aberdeen He needs to bulk up and improve his hold up play. I am not necessarily pushing for Lewis Allan but to me he represents a more physical hold up player type of option for us especially with Flo being in and out the team. Please do not get me wrong I want Olly to be a success but I am starting to think this is becoming more and more unlikely in fact I would not be surprised if Lenny brings in another hold up Grant Holt type striker in January.
    You are correct I am not some Simon Cowell type football talent spotter my only qualification is that I have been watching HIBS for fifty years and believe me you tend to know right away when you have a good one.

Appreciate your point of view and respect your opinion but I am afraid my opinion represents many on this site I want the boy to do well I want him to kick on and be a huge success but like many others I am perhaps starting to grow frustrated as I am starting to give up hope of this happening as to me he seems to have stood still and has not improved at the same rate as say young Porteous. To me Olly seems to lack the physicality as what might look like fouls on him are just him getting brushed aside because he is too light and referees all too often wave play on. This was apparent in both matches against Aberdeen He needs to bulk up and improve his hold up play. I am not necessarily pushing for Lewis Allan but to me he represents a more physical hold up player type of option for us especially with Flo being in and out the team. Please do not get me wrong I want Olly to be a success but I am starting to think this is becoming more and more unlikely in fact I would not be surprised if Lenny brings in another hold up Grant Holt type striker in January.
    You are correct I am not some Simon Cowell type football talent spotter my only qualification is that I have been watching HIBS for fifty years and believe me you tend to know right away when you have a good one.
    I've said it on here before and been crucified but what Shaw needs is a loan move to a Falkirk or Morton. would do him the world of good. Unfortunately we're a bit light up top as it is.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by SallyCinnamon View Post
    I've said it on here before and been crucified but what Shaw needs is a loan move to a Falkirk or Morton. would do him the world of good. Unfortunately we're a bit light up top as it is.
    He would learn a lot from Dobbie at qos.