hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    @hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    In relation to football, strict liability would make a big difference, as it does in Europe. When clubs are faced with fines, points docked or stand closures i.e. when it hits their bottom line, they will take the issue of sectarianism more seriously and fans will be much more cautious. UEFA don't stand for discrimination in the stands, nor should national associations. The great publicity such a move would engender may also help sending the message to wider society about the unacceptable nature of such behaviour: a knock on effect. This, in combination with a full on campaign in general society would make a significant impact. It's a difficult problem to eradicate; one which (as we know) requires long term strategies, but I think we would all agree that more needs to be done and we have a distance to travel yet before this national scourge is eradicated.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nah not really.

OBFA was an absurd piece of legislation, a classic effort from politicians desperate to be seen to ‘do something’ without considereing unintended consequences.

As said above, Scotland already has laws against this kind of abuse. What is needed is a determination to act upon them.
    The bold James Kelly was quick to pat himself on the back when act was repealed yet singularly seemed to be lacking in saying what should happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    In relation to football, strict liability would make a big difference, as it does in Europe. When clubs are faced with fines, points docked or stand closures i.e. when it hits their bottom line, they will take the issue of sectarianism more seriously and fans will be much more cautious. UEFA don't stand for discrimination in the stands, nor should national associations. The great publicity such a move would engender may also help sending the message to wider society about the unacceptable nature of such behaviour: a knock on effect. This, in combination with a full on campaign in general society would make a significant impact. It's a difficult problem to eradicate; one which (as we know) requires long term strategies, but I think we would all agree that more needs to be done and we have a distance to travel yet before this national scourge is eradicated.
    Totally agree that is exactly what needs to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Not In The Know View Post
    So Nicola has a hibstv subscription ;-)
    Her Husband is a Hibby.

I dont have any time for Sturgeon, but what she says is welcomed.

Hibs I think are in a tricky position. Privately I am certain they will have had a word with Lennon about his conduct. While he didnt deserve what happened, he didnt exactly help matters. It is also not the first time.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skol View Post

Hibs I think are in a tricky position. Privately I am certain they will have had a word with Lennon about his conduct. While he didnt deserve what happened, he didnt exactly help matters. It is also not the first time.
    If I was Lennon and Hibs had a word with me on my conduct and stayed silent on the sectarian abuse I wouldn't wait a second on telling them to take the job and shove it.

Quote Originally Posted by IGRIGI View Post
    If I was Lennon and Hibs had a word with me on my conduct and stayed silent on the sectarian abuse I wouldn't wait a second on telling them to take the job and shove it.
    When did throwing a coin become sectarian ?

OK I get there was sectarian shouting and abuse going on, but that is hearts problem to deal with

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar

@hibs.net private member Stonewall's Avatar
    Maybe Lennon doesn’t want the club to make a statement.

If, as has been suggested, part of the reason he was unsettled was that he felt he was becoming the story then the club issuing a statement would only serve to prolong the issue.

I've never voted SNP, but Sturgeon always seems to hit the right rhetorical buttons and says exactly what needs to be said in a statesmanlike way. I felt exactly the same when she did the 'scotland welcomes you' speech about immigrants.

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    I've never voted SNP, but Sturgeon always seems to hit the right rhetorical buttons and says exactly what needs to be said in a statesmanlike way. I felt exactly the same when she did the 'scotland welcomes you' speech about immigrants.
    Politics is partisan, and many will refuse to acknowledge talent because of that. IMO Nicola is a very impressive First Minister and leader. Other comments made; action not words are valid, but at least she's got the guts and determination to speak out against sectarianism and to do so in a very eloquent way. Meanwhile the football authorities do SFA.

Quote Originally Posted by The Harp Awakes View Post
    Politics is partisan, and many will refuse to acknowledge talent because of that. IMO Nicola is a very impressive First Minister and leader. Other comments made; action not words are valid, but at least she's got the guts and determination to speak out against sectarianism and to do so in a very eloquent way. Meanwhile the football authorities do SFA.
    Totally agree.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Skol View Post

Frankly, most if not all Politicians say what they think will make them popular with the electorate, Sturgeon is very good at that, thinks she's the Eva Peron of Scotland in my opinion.

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    Frankly, most if not all Politicians say what they think will make them popular with the electorate, Sturgeon is very good at that, thinks she's the Eva Peron of Scotland in my opinion.
    The difference here is that I don't think there is a lot in it for her politically to speak out about sectarianism. The Rangers minded hoards will be cursing her as a Papal conspirator.

@hibs.net private member Godsahibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    Sounds reasonable, but it would have more impact if it included players from all SPL clubs.

Should football clubs have any social accountability? If you believe so then a joint effort would send out a powerful message to the haters.
    I think you have misquoted and missed the point of my post. The first line was about the club taking a stance and banning away fans if their was issues. I said that wouldn’t happen. Let’s be honest the player displays and the quotes in the press while good to hear and sends out a message really does little difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post

Ach it’s just words. Actions (or at least the promise of some actions) would have been better.

I don’t really think it took much courage to stand up and condemn racism like she did. It’s a view held by many. It takes more guts to stand up and air an opinion when you’re in the minority.

Sturgeon didn’t got anywhere near far enough and has missed an opportunity to take a stand.

Pains me to say it, but the actions of Ann Budge have shown more courage and leadership following this debacle.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbydog View Post
    Ach it’s just words. Actions (or at least the promise of some actions) would have been better.

I don’t really think it took much courage to stand up and condemn racism like she did. It’s a view held by many. It takes more guts to stand up and air an opinion when you’re in the minority.

Sturgeon didn’t got anywhere near far enough and has missed an opportunity to take a stand.

Pains me to say it, but the actions of Ann Budge have shown more courage and leadership following this debacle.
    Do you mean her statement, rather than her actions?

Coaching Staff
    The difference here is that I don't think there is a lot in it for her politically to speak out about sectarianism. The Rangers minded hoards will be cursing her as a Papal conspirator.
    Fair point.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    His interview / press conference is widely available on the official media platform provided by the club.
    Let the hystericals continue with their bloody ‘statements’.