hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    @hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And what of you were an employee, perhaps having your pension scheme diminished or your hours cut; perhaps being laid off for profit maximisation? You know, the people who do the work and created that £75 million bonus for one guy.
    With so much profit you'd imagine they'd do pretty well as well.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    Perhaps but I'd say the current outcry is misdirected.

Taxpayers being disgruntled I can understand but as a shareholder I'd be fairly content.
    Not sure about the extent of taxpayer involvement in the scheme that Persimmon profited from, but we'll be getting virtually half of the £75m back in tax and NI.

EDIT......that's not a defence of the payment, by the way.
    Last edited by CropleyWasGod; 08-11-2018 at 08:41 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    Not sure about the extent of taxpayer involvement in the scheme that Persimmon profited from, but we'll be getting virtually half of the £75m back in tax and NI.

EDIT......that's not a defence of the payment, by the way.
    Yup which is part of the reason why, I would suggest, there has been so little serious regulation as these large bonuses are a boon for the tax man.

In this instance however the taxpayer should feel a bit disgruntled as government money has been effectively funneled directly into the house builders. Thus helping to inflate the returns of the incentive schemes the executives have awarded themselves across the big builders.

Oddly Help to Buy still, despite the clear evidence it pushes house prices UP and the money effectively goes directly to private companies, seems a popular policy with the general public...hence why it has been recently extended once again.

@hibs.net private member GlesgaeHibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    Yup which is part of the reason why, I would suggest, there has been so little serious regulation as these large bonuses are a boon for the tax man.

In this instance however the taxpayer should feel a bit disgruntled as government money has been effectively funneled directly into the house builders. Thus helping to inflate the returns of the incentive schemes the executives have awarded themselves across the big builders.

Oddly Help to Buy still, despite the clear evidence it pushes house prices UP and the money effectively goes directly to private companies, seems a popular policy with the general public...hence why it has been recently extended once again.
    I wouldn't have been able to buy my first house without help to buy (or would have had to wait longer). Allowed me to get a 2 bed flat with a 5% deposit, at a decent mortgage rate due to the government sticking in 20%. Government also set to win when I hope to sell next year, with the property value up around 12.5% giving them a decent return on their investment.

I guess the worry is that if the prices keep going up at such a rate we're headed for another housing bubble which is about to pop.

I think this is a share option scheme rather than a cash bonus. If so, having agreed the exercise price and number of options, thereís **** all can be done to control the eventual size of the benefit. The losers are the shareholders who were diluted to create the options. Then again, with big dividends and a soaring price stoked by public money, itís kerching all round.