hibs.net Messageboard

England in Sri Lanka Cricket

England 120-5. Why is Ali batting at 3? Haven’t they tried this before?

2. Log in to remove the advert

What's happened to TMS? This "cricket social" thing is a bit pants. Is it just cost cutting?

Answering my own question - they lost the rights to ****** Talksport.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiberniankb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    England 120-5. Why is Ali batting at 3? Haven’t they tried this before?
    I think Moeen bats at three for the one-day side, plus it's been a problematic position for England (in fact all the top three have been problematic, exacerbated by Cook dipping and then retiring)

Root refuses to bat at three but IMO your best batsman should always go in there and I think he is taking an easier option to bat further down the order and abdicating a bit of responsibility.

Moeen at 3 gives them more options in the rest of the bowling attack and allows them to continue with a really long batting middle order - with Stokes, Buttler/Foakes, Bairstow and Curran they have runs galore.

If Jennings and Burns can kick on at the top then England become very strong - batting in depth because they have bowlers who can bat and strength in the bowling because they have bowlers who can bat higher up the order.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Fantastic innings by Joe Root today. Just class. England have enough on the board, only rain can save Sri Lanka in this one I think.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fantastic innings by Joe Root today. Just class. England have enough on the board, only rain can save Sri Lanka in this one I think.
    Looks like Foakes has done well with bat yet again. I believe he is regarded as the best keeper out of him, Bairstow and Buttler, which raises questions about how England manage that middle order and why they can't persuade someone to man up into the number three role.

As for openers, I hope they settle with Burns and Jennings. Not seen enough of them to be convinced yet but they need to be given a steady run as a settled pair, ideally with a settled number three. After that, there's tons of depth in batting to follow. Sort that and that's half the battle for England. Next trick is replacing the wickets that Broad and Anderson have provided but they have a good starting point with the likes of Sam Curran.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Good series win in Sri Lanka for England.