hibs.net Messageboard

 

Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1

    Nelom and Mavrias

    Do we think these guys are likely to see much game time or is there a sense they were signed largely as cover? Apologies if I've missed something about Nelom (ie injured) but he doesn't seem to be in the frame at present.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #2
    @hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Age
    36
    Posts
    19,211
    Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Do we think these guys are likely to see much game time or is there a sense they were signed largely as cover? Apologies if I've missed something about Nelom (ie injured) but he doesn't seem to be in the frame at present.
    I think Harry was signed on basically an extended trial but only likely to be used in emergency. Bit surprised he's not played in a reserve match yet though?

    Somebody said Nelom had picked up an injury but i don't remember reading that. He was at the game on Saturday sat in the main stand with the other players who weren't playing.

  4. #3
    Mavrias was on the bench on Saturday although why we didn't use him is a bit of a mystery.

  5. #4
    Have a feeling both will be away by the end of the season at the latest with a combined total of 3 appearances. Makes you wonder the point in signing them if they canít get any minutes at all. Especially the big deal that Deadline Day agency made of Harryís announcement.

  6. #5
    Coaching Staff jacomo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    exile
    Posts
    13,875
    Completely forgot about Nelom.

    The latest guy with the unenviable task of forcing Lewis out of the team.

  7. #6
    Prediction League Supremo - 05/06 MB62's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Warriston
    Age
    59
    Posts
    7,444
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyAsHellas View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Mavrias was on the bench on Saturday although why we didn't use him is a bit of a mystery.
    Said that on Saturday too. Whitts was trying to hit 40 yards passes that never went near a Hibs player, he must have thought he was Maradona but was playing more like Madonna. If ever there was a time to give your new right sided flying machine an introduction, it had to be Saturday, even if it was just for 30 minutes.

  8. #7
    @hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,299
    Signing players as back up is fine, but if we then play players out of position rather than use them, like Rhyras (sp?) would we not be better saving their wage and using a couple of youngsters on the bench?

  9. #8
    @hibs.net private member Austinho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Age
    31
    Posts
    4,631
    Bound to see them both during the ridiculously congested December fixture list. Smart business by the club to get backup in for these games - certainly donít think it was a waste of time.

  10. #9
    @hibs.net private member My_Wife_Camille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    3,048
    Blog Entries
    1
    I donít think anybody saw this coming at all

  11. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Austinho View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bound to see them both during the ridiculously congested December fixture list. Smart business by the club to get backup in for these games - certainly donít think it was a waste of time.
    You say that but except none of these games really are suitable for non match fit/sharp players to come in. They need minutes now to be able to have that impact in December.

  12. #11
    Is the reserve league not for getting these players match time and a better look at what they can do ?
    Or are we so desperately short of fully fit players that we cant afford to put them in reserves just now either ?

  13. #12
    @hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    57
    Posts
    26,138
    Quote Originally Posted by eastcoasthibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is the reserve league not for getting these players match time and a better look at what they can do ?
    Or are we so desperately short of fully fit players that we cant afford to put them in reserves just now either ?
    Thereís not been many reserve games unfortunately

    Got one next Monday away at killie, so maybe we might give 1/2 players like the above a game, although Hibs have said they want to play Development players in this league this season

  14. #13
    First Team Regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Livingston
    Posts
    935
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Completely forgot about Nelom.

    The latest guy with the unenviable task of forcing Lewis out of the team.
    This reminds me a bit about Rangers buying players to replace Stuart Munro, they spent £millions trying to replace him and he seen everyone of them off!!!

    It the same with Lewis, we don't seem to realise just how good a player he is, and keep wanting to replace him????

  15. #14
    @hibs.net private member flash's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    sunny leith
    Age
    51
    Posts
    6,422
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Completely forgot about Nelom.

    The latest guy with the unenviable task of forcing Lewis out of the team.
    Its about time somebody at least got the chance.

  16. #15
    First Team Regular
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Age
    31
    Posts
    666
    Quote Originally Posted by where'stheslope View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This reminds me a bit about Rangers buying players to replace Stuart Munro, they spent £millions trying to replace him and he seen everyone of them off!!!

    It the same with Lewis, we don't seem to realise just how good a player he is, and keep wanting to replace him????
    Not wanting to turn this into a Stevenson debate as I really do like Lewis but I donít think heís had any real quality competition for his place, itís been relatively easy for him to keep his place and I think people are getting carried away with how good heís done to stay in the team. Again I like Lewis and not saying he should be replaced.

  17. #16
    Testimonial Due Edinburgh Green's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    1,468
    File under: Eckersley, Rherras & Eardley

  18. #17
    @hibs.net private member calumhibee1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    6,014
    Quote Originally Posted by Edinburgh Green View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    File under: Eckersley, Rherras & Eardley
    I donít even know who that last guy is. These two will probably be the same in a couple of years which seems mental when theyíre both internationalists.

  19. #18
    @hibs.net private member My_Wife_Camille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    3,048
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Edinburgh Green View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    File under: Eckersley, Rherras & Eardley
    Deary me. Can we give them a chance before writing them off?

  20. #19
    @hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    In dreams.
    Posts
    3,328
    Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Signing players as back up is fine, but if we then play players out of position rather than use them, like Rhyras (sp?) would we not be better saving their wage and using a couple of youngsters on the bench?
    Basically this. Both these guys have the credentials whereby you would expect them to be able to contribute. Obviously fitness is an issue, possibly injury too ( Nelom), but why sign them otherwise? Equally, we are short of forward options. It may have been wiser to sign a striker as a priority, rather than two wing backs.

  21. #20
    Testimonial Due Edinburgh Green's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    1,468
    Quote Originally Posted by My_Wife_Camille View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Deary me. Can we give them a chance before writing them off?
    I'm not writing them off on talent. I'm saying that I think they'll join the list of fullbacks that are signed for cover and never play.

  22. #21
    Nelom was at our supporters club brunch yesterday with wee Tam and George Craig, was mentioned that he picked up a knock but should be back training by the end of this week.

  23. #22
    @hibs.net private member J-C's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Age
    59
    Posts
    16,718
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Centre Hawf View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Have a feeling both will be away by the end of the season at the latest with a combined total of 3 appearances. Makes you wonder the point in signing them if they canít get any minutes at all. Especially the big deal that Deadline Day agency made of Harryís announcement.
    Mavrias is only signed till January, I have a feeling he was signed as pure cover and to keep him fit till he got a bigger club, he has played at a higher level than us before.

  24. #23
    @hibs.net private member My_Wife_Camille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    3,048
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Edinburgh Green View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not writing them off on talent. I'm saying that I think they'll join the list of fullbacks that are signed for cover and never play.
    I know 😂

  25. #24
    Obviously one of the reasons for signing them is to gee up the players already playing these positions.Lewis has upped his game and looks sharper.

  26. #25
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    879
    Quote Originally Posted by Edinburgh Green View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    File under: Eckersley, Rherras & Eardley

    Eardsley? Not being anal - this is for the guy that didn't recognise the name.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved