hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Hibs Ladies

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cod Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Cheers mate my mates daughter plays for Hibs and I was talking to him and I said 8.0 so stuck a daft pound on it at 14/1
    Only 14-1 for 8-0! Miserable bookies.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Another great achievement by the ladies.
    Congratulations to all the squad and back-room staff.

Another memorable piece of silverware for Hibs Ladies.
    Well done to all the girls and coaches.

Well done to all involved, and the fans that gave them some great support!
    Last edited by Joe6-2; 04-11-2018 at 07:44 PM.

@hibs.net private member H18S NX's Avatar
    Congratulations to all involved,fantastic achievement

Was out this afternoon, so recorded the game to watch when I got in and I'm glad I did as I've just seen a strong performance by Hibs, albeit in a mismatch.

Reading the other comments in this thread, I'm pleased to hear that there are good numbers of girls coming through because the ladies game needs several strong clubs to be taken seriously and not simply the current duopoly. I have mixed feelings on Celtc putting money into their team as this may create a monopoly.

As regards the standard of the ladies game, I take the view that I'm watching amateurs playing and adjust my expectations accordingly. All of us on here do that when it comes to the quality of football we watch, which is why we were at Easter Road yesterday and not at the Etihad this afternoon.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

@hibs.net private member Malthibby's Avatar
    Well done to the ladies, great result & quite frankly if the neanderthals don't like it, get a life.
    These women are doing aa fantastic job for HIBS....
    GG

Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    att: 1,543

huge Hibs support
    BBC Alba showed it as 1,943.

A healthy crowd of near 2,000 to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    I agree. Not the “in” thing to be saying but it is garbage. It’s like watching five-a-side players at times. The play is slow and there’s a sort of jiltedness to the touch and runs of nearly every player. The only one who looks like they have a natural touch and style similar to the men’s game is the Hibs captain.

I still maintain the goalposts should be smaller. The keepers are way too small for the size of the goals. There seems to be lots of high scoring games (in ladies football generally, not just in Scotland where there is a massive gap between two of the teams and the rest) and I’m convinced this is the main cause. I’ve been accused of being sexist for that opinion though.

Before anyone says, I’m not saying I’d be better than them. I’m crap at football. The Motherwell captain (not sure what her surname is as it has changed since we were at school) was better than most of the boys in our year but I think had to do with the standard of the boys.
    Changing the size of the goalposts is terrible chat.

That’s like saying adults who play Lowland league or Sunday leave should have smaller goals as they are miles away from Man City etc.

Kids level yes - goals smaller but adult football?

What about the tennis net also in tennis ?

Or hockey goals ? Basketball hoop height?

Nonsense chat for me.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    I really must be hard to please, if this game did not involve Hibs you would all be saying how poor the whole thing was.
    Youve made it very clear you dont like womens football. You dont need to remind us every time theres a thread. You must only watch so you can come on and have a dig.

Quote Originally Posted by 1van Sprou7e View Post
    Full time yet?

Also, how have Hibs suddenly become such a force in the Scottish women's game?
    Eh? They have been for the last 10 years. Them and City win everything

I also never understand why so many people that clearly have no interest in womens football continue to tune in and comment on it. You dont like it and thats fine....so why on earth are you watching it? Also someone slating their touch etc earlier... Rachael McLaughlin would turn every single guy inside out on this board.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
    Heard from a fairly reliable source that 3 or 4 of the 'Well players are moving to Celtic in the close season.
    Those Well players will struggle in the top league. They were all very good players a few years back when they worked with Eddie at City, but the game has moved on and players are much faster and fitter now.

Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    I also never understand why so many people that clearly have no interest in womens football continue to tune in and comment on it. You dont like it and thats fine....so why on earth are you watching it? Also someone slating their touch etc earlier... Rachael McLaughlin would turn every single guy inside out on this board.
    And Jamie-Lee would give Martin Boyle a run for his money bolting down the wing.

We’ve got a very talented group of players in our women’s team, and I wish people would stop talking them down - they’re playing a key role in developing the women’s game in Scotland, and we should be proud that they represent Hibs, and be proud that our club takes the women’s game seriously.

My 8 month old daughter was up at her gran and grandad's yesterday.

She has an absolute fixation with remote controls, so they gave her their one to play with.

She had a wee press at the buttons, turned the TV on, changed it straight to the Hibs ladies game then put the remote down next to her with a big grin on her face. Daddy's allegiances are well-known so this was of great amusement to everyone present.

A good sign, I think.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by City of Green View Post

That’s like saying adults who play Lowland league or Sunday leave should have smaller goals as they are miles away from Man City etc.

Nonsense chat for me.
    I think it's an obvious fact that the size of the goal relative to the size of the goalkeeper makes a difference to the likelihood of scoring a goal. It's no surprise that goalkeepers tend to be tall. In the men's game nowadays, a keeper under 6ft would probably be considered too small.

Over the years, increasing the size of the goals has frequently been floated as a way to improve the game as it almost certainly would lead to more goals being scored.

If the women's game was played with 7 a-side size goals, the scorelines would be a lot tighter. That wouldn't necessarily make it a better game though and some would argue that the relative sizes in the women's game between goalkeeper and goalposts is the better option.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan62 View Post
    I think it's an obvious fact that the size of the goal relative to the size of the goalkeeper makes a difference to the likelihood of scoring a goal. It's no surprise that goalkeepers tend to be tall. In the men's game nowadays, a keeper under 6ft would probably be considered too small.

Over the years, increasing the size of the goals has frequently been floated as a way to improve the game as it almost certainly would lead to more goals being scored.

If the women's game was played with 7 a-side size goals, the scorelines would be a lot tighter. That wouldn't necessarily make it a better game though and some would argue that the relative sizes in the women's game between goalkeeper and goalposts is the better option.
    Like Andy Goram? Hibs keeper same height as him.

Considering the ladies' game seems to be going from strength to strength right now, I don't think they need to be working on wacky features to rope in a few more punters.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibby6270 View Post
    BBC Alba showed it as 1,943.

in my defence the commentator said it in Gaelic

:(

Testimonial Due
    Like Andy Goram? Hibs keeper same height as him.
    Goram was an exception in recent times and was considered small. The Hibernian keeper didn’t let in any goals. The Motherwell keeper was at a considerable height disadvantage - although, ironically, it was bad defending and limited agility that shipped most of the eight yesterday.

I am not knocking the women’s game.

If Hibs signed a 5’8” keeper to replace Bogdan and Marciano, we’d be up in arms.

Goram was an exception in recent times and was considered small. The Hibernian keeper didn’t let in any goals. The Motherwell keeper was at a considerable height disadvantage - although, ironically, it was bad defending and limited agility that shipped most of the eight yesterday.

I am not knocking the women’s game.

If Hibs signed a 5’8” keeper to replace Bogdan and Marciano, we’d be up in arms.
    The point is there are loads of 6ft female goalies in the world...you cant change the rules just cause there are short ones. Kids play in full size goals from U12s.....and there are plenty low scoring games.

Testimonial Due
    The point is there are loads of 6ft female goalies in the world...you cant change the rules just cause there are short ones. Kids play in full size goals from U12s.....and there are plenty low scoring games.
    I coached youth football for years. It was a nightmare for the keepers when they were small. Low scoring games was down to poor finishing more often than good goalkeeping.

Your point that there are plenty of tall keepers in the women's game only supports the idea that goalkeeping is a tall person's job.

Anyway, I'm not advocating smaller goals, I'm just pointing out that it's an unassailable fact that smaller goalkeepers will find it more difficult to defend a standard sized 11 a-side goal than a tall keeper. Unless the tall guy/girl has very short arms, of course.

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I coached youth football for years. It was a nightmare for the keepers when they were small. Low scoring games was down to poor finishing more often than good goalkeeping.

Your point that there are plenty of tall keepers in the women's game only supports the idea that goalkeeping is a tall person's job.

Anyway, I'm not advocating smaller goals, I'm just pointing out that it's an unassailable fact that smaller goalkeepers will find it more difficult to defend a standard sized 11 a-side goal than a tall keeper. Unless the tall guy/girl has very short arms, of course.
    Or the smaller goalie has great, anticipation reflexes and agility.

The idea that adult women should play on differently configured pitches to adult men is an insult to them.

All we are really seeing is one team with significantly better players hammering another, its like watching the Tornadoes all over again.

As the number of participants grow the playing field will level again, sadly.

One of the things I really like about watching Hibs Ladies is that you get the chance to see them use all of their skills as they are so much better than most of their peers that they appear to seldom need to win the war before they get to play their football.

Some of their passing, crossing and finishing is exemplary, but that could be a by product of the fact that all look physically very fit, often more so than their opponents. Again like the Tornadoes

They have great situational awareness and are really well coached as well.

The player with the ball always has a number of options available to them.

I get the fact that its not for everyone, but quite why anyone would want to criticise them for playing a sport they love and bringing great credit to the club just mystifies me.

Testimonial Due
    I thought the movement of the Hibs players yesterday and the passing was sublime. They totally outclassed their opponents and looked well ahead of them in terms of fitness and ability.

As I have mentioned, I am not suggesting that they should play on differently configured pitches. All I am saying is that it will have an impact on the way their game is played - particularly for the (usually) smaller goalies. And, of course, in the professional men's game, a smaller keeper would have to make up for his lack of height by being much more able in other areas.

Incidentally, there's nothing wrong with the women's game being different and, like you, I tend to celebrate its differences like the almost complete lack of fouling in yesterday's final.

Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    in my defence the commentator said it in Gaelic

:(
    Good point but they did stick it in a wee graphic top left of screen as well. I certainly didn’t pick it up from the commentator. My Gaelic language knowledge is virtually nil apart from the word ‘agus’ which I think means ‘and’.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by City of Green View Post

Nonsense chat for me.
    i think he means because ladies are generally shorter than men so it kinda makes sense.

Hockey and tennis are bad examples as even the shortest of players could reach the cross bar or see over the net!

Womens basketball? They do have lower hoop heights don’t they?

@hibs.net private member malcolm's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BSEJVT View Post
    Or the smaller goalie has great, anticipation reflexes and agility.

The idea that adult women should play on differently configured pitches to adult men is an insult to them.

All we are really seeing is one team with significantly better players hammering another, its like watching the Tornadoes all over again.

As the number of participants grow the playing field will level again, sadly.

One of the things I really like about watching Hibs Ladies is that you get the chance to see them use all of their skills as they are so much better than most of their peers that they appear to seldom need to win the war before they get to play their football.

Some of their passing, crossing and finishing is exemplary, but that could be a by product of the fact that all look physically very fit, often more so than their opponents. Again like the Tornadoes

They have great situational awareness and are really well coached as well.

The player with the ball always has a number of options available to them.

I get the fact that its not for everyone, but quite why anyone would want to criticise them for playing a sport they love and bringing great credit to the club just mystifies me.
    In support of equality and to avoid insult should we also have women play best of 5 not 3 sets in tennis, play off the same tees as men at golf and use the same weight of shot putt in track and field?

As someone else said I think it’s an insult to women.

Why don’t the men’s team who play Sunday league play with smaller goals ? Often you get small keepers in nets for them.

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolm View Post
    In support of equality and to avoid insult should we also have women play best of 5 not 3 sets in tennis, play off the same tees as men at golf and use the same weight of shot putt in track and field?
    Good point

To answer you in order

Yes why not this would then help remove the ludicrous discrepancy in their prize money

There shouldn't be women and men's tees in golf, there should, as there is in the US, be tees for appropriate handicaps and I say this a single figure handicap golfer of well over 40 years.

There is nothing worse than watching some duffer trying to hit a 200 yard carry when their best shot goes 120 yards.

I played Celebration in Florida a couple of years back and watched 2 guys trying to hit the forced carries I could (which weren't that troubling for a decent player) and lose comfortably 20 balls in 18 holes between them, a truly soul destroying experience.

If they had played from the tees their handicaps merited instead of getting all macho it would have been a better experience for everyone.

I have played enough golf to know there are many many women out there who would comfortably skelp some males of their vanity handicaps.

My home course is lucky enough to have some very good women players and I have played in the past with a Scottish Internationalist I used to work with who could comfortably hold her own distance wise and had the touch of a genius around the greens.

Why not, wouldn't the distances just go down for those involved and it would even out?