hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar

Big Birthday Suggestions help please

My Mrs will be 60 next month and she’s made it absolutely clear she doesn’t want any surprises or anyone to go over the top buying her presents. This has scuppered me somewhat as I had a few ideas of going away somewhere for a few days nice meal etc. But she’s adamant she just wants a quiet time at home with her nearest and dearest. She’s not a jewellery type either so I’m starting to panic slightly as I’m out of ideas and I don’t want her birthday to pass with nothing nice to give her. She’s got a heart of gold and always says she needs for nothing so I’m needing some ideas of what might be a nice way to at least show her how much she means to our family.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Can you just do the planned trip away for her birthday, but not on her actual birthday?

If she wants for nothing then something more sentimental - you might not have the time to put together a scrap book but you could create a photo collage of images together and get it printed as a canvas?
    Mon the Hibs.

The likes of Notonthehighstreet have great wee keepsakes. I'm not sure if you and your wife are sentimental sorts but a wee reminder of what they mean to you every so often never goes amiss.

It was my girlfriends 1st birthday as a Mum in June and I got her a book from the above called '10 things I love about my Mum'. It was a lovely wee illustrated book that you could personalise to list things that meant something to them and you. It cost a fraction of some of the other stuff I've bought over the years but I reckon it meant the most.

Aa said above maybe just a weekend away but not on her birthday. It doesn't have to be extravagant. Nice hotel in the highlands and a quiet meal. It's something I've started to appreciate in the last couple of years; a bit time together just enjoying each others company. Couple that with a few close family and friends to the house for her actual birthday.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member
    Not on the highstreet is great for sentimental wee ideas as PB says. I use it a lot.

What about a spa day for her an a pal/sister/daughter? Bit more expensive than others but id highly recommend the Norton House Hotel if your local.

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    We’ve taken my Granny & grandad to the races for their big birthdays recently. We pay for their tickets and give them money for bets etc, whole family comes so it’s a fun day out.

This year we’re going on the union canal afternoon tea boat ride for my Granny’s birthday, something a bit different.

I use notonthehighstreet a lot too for personal gifts, it’s a fab site.

A nice watch?

An old guy at work, for his 90th his family made a 'this is your life' style scrapbook which he loved. I know she is only going to be 60 but something like this might work.

Thanks everyone some great ideas so far.

I’ve had a quick look on notonthehighstreet.co and I’ve seen a couple of possibilities. I’m also liking the idea of a trip away in the new year.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfiembra View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My Mrs will be 60 next month and she’s made it absolutely clear she doesn’t want any surprises or anyone to go over the top buying her presents. This has scuppered me somewhat as I had a few ideas of going away somewhere for a few days nice meal etc. But she’s adamant she just wants a quiet time at home with her nearest and dearest. She’s not a jewellery type either so I’m starting to panic slightly as I’m out of ideas and I don’t want her birthday to pass with nothing nice to give her. She’s got a heart of gold and always says she needs for nothing so I’m needing some ideas of what might be a nice way to at least show her how much she means to our family.
    How about a spa weekend away for her, a pamper session. I done that a couple of years ago for my Wife, her Sister joined her too for the company. She absolutley loved it (so did I, peace to watch the football over the weekend 😆) also got her face creams, skin products etc from Clinique for her to open on her return.

@hibs.net private member Radium's Avatar
    For my wife’s significant (but not to be mentioned) birthday last year I got a box of photo frames and went through family and friends and got pictures for them. Went down well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a kind and sincere word is all that's required.

And a bunch of flowers. Women love flowers.

It's not rocket science.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post

It's not rocket science.
    Not all women - flowers are for weddings and funerals only.

For my wife’s 40th earlier this year I got her 40 presents. Some weee expensive, a lot of them weren’t. I’d paid attention to things like books she said she wanted to read or what her favourite perfume was and also for the kids to make her personal stuff. She loved the appreciation of it all.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LustForLeith View Post
    For my wife’s 40th earlier this year I got her 40 presents. Some weee expensive, a lot of them weren’t. I’d paid attention to things like books she said she wanted to read or what her favourite perfume was and also for the kids to make her personal stuff. She loved the appreciation of it all.
    Absolutely this.

There just happened to be 60 days between our wedding anniversary and my wife's birthday. I gave her a present every day up to her birthday and we were away anyway so stayed in a nice hotel in the Lake District.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    Absolutely this.

There just happened to be 60 days between our wedding anniversary and my wife's birthday. I gave her a present every day up to her birthday and we were away anyway so stayed in a nice hotel in the Lake District.
    And I thought we were all just a bunch of neanderthals on here

The things we will do to get our Nat King Cole eh?

(That was a joke by the way)

Christmas shopping is about to begin in earnest, so some good ideas here.

@hibs.net private member oldbutdim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post

It's not rocket science.

If I'd got my missus flowers rather than the expected diamond ring for her 60th then I'd probably have got them back pretty quick.
    Arranged in a wreath, on the lid of my coffin.

You're not really a rocket scientist are you.

Quote Originally Posted by oldbutdim View Post
    If I'd got my missus flowers rather than the expected diamond ring for her 60th then I'd probably have got them back pretty quick.
    Arranged in a wreath, on the lid of my coffin.
    There will be flowers but I’m going down the lots of small gifts route all will be meaningful to her. Unfortunately, or fortunately whichever way you look at it, she has never been one that likes jewellery or lavish gifts so wouldn’t be money well spent. She likes her arts and crafts so have a few ideas along those lines. Further dilemma though is I have 3 grown up sons who will probably be asking me last minute “what will I get mum for her birthday”.

Thanks again for the ideas and anymore you might have are more than welcome.