hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 39

Thread: Racist?

  1. #1
    First Team Breakthrough Chorley Hibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Wishaw
    Age
    38
    Posts
    144

    Racist?

    https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/im-not-racist-scots-mum-13518517

    I actually know this woman through my wife, and I wondered what others take on this was?

    I personally think it's incredibly stupid, and I find it unpalatable that the nursery is defending this too.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #2
    @hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    22,701
    Quote Originally Posted by Chorley Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/im-not-racist-scots-mum-13518517

    I actually know this woman through my wife, and I wondered what others take on this was?

    I personally think it's incredibly stupid, and I find it unpalatable that the nursery is defending this too.
    I've read the article 3 times now and can't see who is actually complaining about it. Is that poor journalism or a fuss about nothing?

    However, I do have a maxim that goes "anyone who uses the phrase 'PC' automatically loses the argument"

    Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

  4. #3
    First Team Breakthrough Lendo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    492
    Racist.

    Plus she got a token 'PC gone mad' which automatically qualifies her for moron status.

    Who is she to comment on whether Scotland has a racism problem like the USA? I imagine she has never been subjected to any form of discrimination based on the colour of her skin.

  5. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Chorley Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/im-not-racist-scots-mum-13518517

    I actually know this woman through my wife, and I wondered what others take on this was?

    I personally think it's incredibly stupid, and I find it unpalatable that the nursery is defending this too.
    Incredibly stupid and definitely racist although possibly unconsciously.

  6. #5
    Racist.

    Maybe unintentionally but racist all the same.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

  7. #6
    Testimonial Due Geo_1875's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In my Joy Division Oven Gloves
    Posts
    4,119
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Incredibly stupid and definitely racist although possibly unconsciously.
    Nobody is accidently racist.

  8. #7
    She’s a twat, even if she wasn’t intentionally racist. I’m not sure I’d be comfortable with someone that idiotic taking part in shaping my young child’s character tbh.

  9. #8
    First Team Breakthrough
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    196
    Tasteless I would say.

    What a moronic mother. Poor child.

    I wonder which team she is affiliated with?

  10. #9
    @hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The 'Mains
    Posts
    3,102
    Tasteless I think but racist?

    I'm thinking back to 10 or so years of holidays and if was being dressed up as a Lookie Lookie man then I can't think of a single occasion where they weren't black, so if I didn't black up then it wouldnt look right.

    But would I do it?..... Nah... A bit stupid and insensitive.



    Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    "The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."
    --Joe Theisman, NFL football quarterback & sports analyst.

  11. #10
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    1000's of people's Barcelona
    Posts
    35,943
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Alf View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Tasteless I think but racist?

    I'm thinking back to 10 or so years of holidays and if was being dressed up as a Lookie Lookie man then I can't think of a single occasion where they weren't black, so if I didn't black up then it wouldnt look right.

    But would I do it?..... Nah... A bit stupid and insensitive.



    Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    https://www.vox.com/2014/10/29/70895...loween-costume
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £1,789.68!



  12. #11
    @hibs.net private member Fife-Hibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Cramond
    Posts
    2,270
    Not for me. Racism has become a ridiculously broad term now which takes the focus away from it original definition.

    I don't see how a little girl being coloured in black falls into the same category as somebody being abused or treated differently for being black. It's just somebody having a bit of daft fun on an occasion where people dress up in all sorts of nonsense. A complete non-story from a complete non-newspaper.

  13. #12
    Testimonial Due Colr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    London
    Age
    51
    Posts
    2,785
    Quote Originally Posted by Chorley Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/im-not-racist-scots-mum-13518517

    I actually know this woman through my wife, and I wondered what others take on this was?

    I personally think it's incredibly stupid, and I find it unpalatable that the nursery is defending this too.
    I’m with you on this. She must be dumb as a ham not to see it.

  14. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good article which includes an argument that you shouldn't dress up, for comic effect, as a member of a group which has historically been treated like crap. The dressing up perpetuates a bad tradition of looking down on a whole group.

    Does the same principle not apply to men dressing up as women for comic effect? Should all statues of Les Dawson now be pulled down?

  15. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Fife-Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not for me. Racism has become a ridiculously broad term now which takes the focus away from it original definition.

    I don't see how a little girl being coloured in black falls into the same category as somebody being abused or treated differently for being black. It's just somebody having a bit of daft fun on an occasion where people dress up in all sorts of nonsense. A complete non-story from a complete non-newspaper.
    The whole 'joke' works because it's a representation of a black person doing a menial job that borders on illegality. If she dressed up as a black Doctor or lawyer then it doesn't work.

    As you say people dress up as all sorts of nonsense at this time of year so it's beyond me why anyone would choose something that was so obviously going to attract controversy.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

  16. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Fife-Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not for me. Racism has become a ridiculously broad term now which takes the focus away from it original definition.

    I don't see how a little girl being coloured in black falls into the same category as somebody being abused or treated differently for being black. It's just somebody having a bit of daft fun on an occasion where people dress up in all sorts of nonsense. A complete non-story from a complete non-newspaper.
    Racism is a broad term. That’s the point - like all discrimination, it comes in various forms and degrees of severity.

    No one is claiming that ‘blacking up’ is on a par with abusing someone for the colour of their skin (unless I missed it).

  17. #16
    @hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    7,214
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo_1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nobody is accidently racist.
    Not true

  18. #17
    I think the fact that this was a costume of a generic black person that makes this one such an issue. If her costume had been eg Mr T then I could see there being some justification. She must have known it would have caused offence. Really stupid considering her choice of career.

  19. #18
    First Team Breakthrough Chorley Hibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Wishaw
    Age
    38
    Posts
    144
    It will be interesting to see how this pans out. This happened on the nursery property too, and girl involved is unrepentant, and steadfastly refuses to apologise or remove the photo from social media etc.

    Nursery owner/manager continues to support her in this stance, but nursery now the subject of a litany of complaints, negative reviews and comments upon social media.

    Wife tells me the Care Inspectorate are now involved too.

  20. #19
    First Team Breakthrough Chorley Hibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Wishaw
    Age
    38
    Posts
    144
    Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Tasteless I would say.

    What a moronic mother. Poor child.

    I wonder which team she is affiliated with?
    Celtic

  21. #20
    Firstly, is she single?

    Secondly I have to applaud her for not backing down and not apologising, it's the worst thing to do in the face of the forever morally outraged left.

  22. #21
    @hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    22,701
    Quote Originally Posted by IGRIGI View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Firstly, is she single?

    Secondly I have to applaud her for not backing down and not apologising, it's the worst thing to do in the face of the forever morally outraged left.
    Who has complained, though?

    The original piece makes no mention of who she is supposed to have upset.

  23. #22
    First Team Breakthrough Chorley Hibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Wishaw
    Age
    38
    Posts
    144
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Who has complained, though?

    The original piece makes no mention of who she is supposed to have upset.
    I know of a few official complaints made to the nursery from other parents.

  24. #23
    @hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    22,701
    Quote Originally Posted by Chorley Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know of a few official complaints made to the nursery from other parents.
    That's fair enough, but the article makes no mention of any complaints. Taken at face value, it sounds like someone howling at the moon.

  25. #24
    @hibs.net private member McSwanky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,619
    Can someone point me in the direction of the Jimmy Saville/Hitler costumes? I haven't seen any of them, but I'd say they (as with this case) were pretty ill-judged as well. She makes it sound like she knows of quite a few???

    I'm all for having a laugh, but there are other, more socially acceptable ways...

  26. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've read the article 3 times now and can't see who is actually complaining about it. Is that poor journalism or a fuss about nothing?

    However, I do have a maxim that goes "anyone who uses the phrase 'PC' automatically loses the argument"

    Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
    Definitely and possibly. It says, "My boss at work is absolutely fine about it. She thinks the complaints are ridiculous", which tends to suggest there have been complaints but doesn't specify who/what. 0/10 for clarity.

    Meanwhile the Independent says:

    "The post has received more than 700 comments, a large proportion of which accuse Ms Lynn (sic) of racism."

    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8614001.html


    Which tends to suggest it's just a facebook thing?
    Last edited by JeMeSouviens; 05-11-2018 at 12:15 PM.

  27. #26
    @hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    27
    Posts
    8,773
    Quote Originally Posted by McS****y View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Can someone point me in the direction of the Jimmy Saville/Hitler costumes? I haven't seen any of them, but I'd say they (as with this case) were pretty ill-judged as well. She makes it sound like she knows of quite a few???

    I'm all for having a laugh, but there are other, more socially acceptable ways...
    I've seen Saville ones before - I think someone (Hearts fan?) wore to a football game v Celtic once. I'm not quite sure I agree with her assessment that her having done something racist here would be akin to that person being a paedophile though.

    Not sure I've seen a Hitler outfit, but I imagine such a thing would be widely condemned. Did one of the princes not dress as a generic German soldier once and get pelters for it?


    As for this woman, I doubt she was trying to cause any offence and I think it's extreme to brand her a "racist" for her actions - but I do think that if it had been properly thought through then she would have been better stearing clear of such an outfit.
    Mon the Hibs.

  28. #27
    I don't think you can automatically call the costume racist, inappropriate yes but not racist. If she had implied that all black people are looky looky men then yes that would be racist but to dress up as a looky looky man for a fancy dress then I don't think its racist but it is a strange choice of costume.

    Another comparison would be the film 'White Chicks', in the film two black men dress up as white chicks and whiten up their faces and attend college pretending to be white chicks. Is that film racist towards white people? No I don't think it is either, its just a bit weird and silly to do that.
    Last edited by HomeTeam; 05-11-2018 at 03:25 PM.

  29. #28
    First Team Breakthrough
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    196
    Diverting for a moment re Saville: I came across a video of him doing TOTP and he sexually assaults a female live on TV.

    She gamely laughed it off. What a pervert, makes me sick.

    Diversion over.

  30. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Diverting for a moment re Saville: I came across a video of him doing TOTP and he sexually assaults a female live on TV.

    She gamely laughed it off. What a pervert, makes me sick.

    Diversion over.
    Just think Jimmy Saville was knighted - the implications are horrendous and no one wants to face the ugly sick truth.

  31. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by HomeTeam View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Another comparison would be the film 'White Chicks', in the film two black men dress up as white chicks and whiten up their faces and attend college pretending to be white chicks. Is that film racist towards white people? No I don't think it is either, its just a bit weird and silly to do that.
    They should ask answer that question in ‘Racism 101’. Would save it coming up in every discussion ever about ‘blacking up’.

    Or you could just do some reading. Either or.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved