hibs.net Messageboard

James "Whitey" Bulger

BBC News - Gangster James 'Whitey' Bulger killed in prison
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46036058

A predictable end really. Both Johnny Depp and Jack Nicholson portrayed him well but as an FBI informer (if correct) he was always going to struggle in prison. Not a nice guy at all.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Weird, randomly found myself reading his wikipedia page on my lunch break yesterday. No surprise at all he's been murdered.

Beaten to death in his wheelchair apparently, don't know why someone as high profile as that would be in a general population part of the prison?

Don't know the whole story but possibly a fitting end for someone who ruled by intimidation and violence.

Quote Originally Posted by wpj View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    BBC News - Gangster James 'Whitey' Bulger killed in prison
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46036058

A predictable end really. Both Johnny Depp and Jack Nicholson portrayed him well but as an FBI informer (if correct) he was always going to struggle in prison. Not a nice guy at all.
    The original, Infernal Affairs, is better than the Departed remake with Nicholson.

Quote Originally Posted by beensaidbefore View Post
    Don't know the whole story but possibly a fitting end for someone who ruled by intimidation and violence.
    He was 89 and in a wheelchair. IF you have to kill him then just kill him. No need to be removing eyes and tongues. Must have been a horrible death.

Quote Originally Posted by NYHibby View Post
    The original, Infernal Affairs, is better than the Departed remake with Nicholson.
    I've heard that, will try to get it on Netflix or Prime

Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    He was 89 and in a wheelchair. IF you have to kill him then just kill him. No need to be removing eyes and tongues. Must have been a horrible death.
    To be honest I don't know enough about the guy to say he did this or that to people, but I would hazard a guess that to be as notorious as he was he would have been responsible for a lot worse. An eye for eye an all that.

Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post

Where red did you read that about mate, all I’ve seen is he was beaten to death?

Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    Where red did you read that about mate, all I’ve seen is he was beaten to death?
    Various reports, beaten so badly his eyeballs were removed from his head, also unconfirmed reports his killers tried to remove his tounge. Sounds pretty gruesome. No doubt the real story will come out eventually

Quote Originally Posted by beensaidbefore View Post
    To be honest I don't know enough about the guy to say he did this or that to people, but I would hazard a guess that to be as notorious as he was he would have been responsible for a lot worse. An eye for eye an all that.
    An eye for an eye leaves everyone blind... Martin Luther King Jr.

He was probably quite formidable in his day and if anyone had exacted that 'revenge' when he was in his prime then it may have seemed an impressive retaliation.

Statement killings of the elderly and infirm just don't seem to sit right. Certainly his reputation seemed larger than, and distorted the reality of, what this man - what any man - becomes with age.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
    An eye for an eye leaves everyone blind... Martin Luther King Jr.

He was probably quite formidable in his day and if anyone had exacted that 'revenge' when he was in his prime then it may have seemed an impressive retaliation.

Statement killings of the elderly and infirm just don't seem to sit right. Certainly his reputation seemed larger than, and distorted the reality of, what this man - what any man - becomes with age.

I get your point but you live that kind of life it never leaves you.
    Also for guys in the jail already doing life killing somebody with a reputation like Bulger is a big thing from them enhances their own reputation standing in jail etc.